Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

President Beep posted:

are they like fever dreams, where you still feel gross and uncomfortable, or is it fun?

exceptionally vivid, so 'fun' is an option but so is 'abject pants making GBS threads terror' so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the most terrifying vivid dreams i ever had were on opiate withdrawal after i got back from a three week hospital stay as a kid

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
When I switched from taking too much Benedryl to help me sleep to taking too much melatonin to make me sleep I started dreaming again for the first time in a couple of years.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

he'll yeah

https://twitter.com/kkruesi/status/1022599941246472192

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Execute them for crimes against money (which is almost as bad as crimes against rich people)!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

*sound of me inhaling hard to scraem YOSPOS BITHC as loud as possible*

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Schadenboner posted:

Execute them for crimes against money (which is almost as bad as crimes against rich people)!

almost as bad? sounds we have a hardcore communist here

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol, #idpol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my wife pointed out "or they'd just start snatching cigarettes out of people's hands mid-flight" which is a much funnier option

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ate all the Oreos posted:

my wife pointed out "or they'd just start snatching cigarettes out of people's hands mid-flight" which is a much funnier option

i was on the fence, but i think your wife just sold me on it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"autonomous is the vehicle's driving itself, right, it's basically robotic..." :downs:

also how come every "self-driving bus" i've seen only holds like 6 people

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

"autonomous is the vehicle's driving itself, right, it's basically robotic..." :downs:

also how come every "self-driving bus" i've seen only holds like 6 people

because nearly all of the projects are done by the same company with the same vehicle: http://www.easymile.com/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I like the way she thinks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jit bull transpile posted:

I like the way she thinks

tbh it would be ideal

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

the la dsa laid out some pretty clear reasons why the opposed the bill as written and what could be done to get them to support it https://www.dsa-la.org/statement_in_opposition_to_sb_827
yes some of those are fine reasons, but not really ultimately. i also didn't like that it was only intended to be "housing near transit" which just "rewards" suburban whiteflighters for fighting public transit for 30 years and pushing the onus on some few spots. I also didn't like the idea of giving away public land for private profits. But the biggest thing they miss is today's luxury housing is tomorrow's market-rate housing.

like yeah, we absolutely need to get rid of costa-hawkins, get rid of prop 13, limit cities's ability to require "parking minimums and height restrictions". and what we really need is California Housing Authority with publically built by California Department of Construction and leased by the state. but that's not going to happen, although possibly with a voter proposition.

one could argue that passing lukewarm piss poo poo that no one really likes and then clapping ande saying "ALL FIXED!" is worse than the alternative in terms of waiting for things to get worse and actually passing something good . like ACA was probably actually bad because it provided just enough stopgap to eliminate things that effected real white flight babby bombers like pre-exisitng conditions for their fatdiabetes or w/e without them realizing that govt is actually saving their rear end, instead of generating further public hatred of healthcare companies, and now it's been so neutered in almost everyway and bound to get neutered even more in the coming years that possibly prolongs suffering of even more as long enough babby bombers think its all been fixed free market good as long as they're not losing healthcare due to their poor diets.

unfortunately im not so sure housing is one of those issues thats going to reach critical mass in terms of getting enough will and clout for passing something actually good and effective for along time, so some lukewarm pissy poo poo is probably still better than the alternatives, especially given how long it will take housing to be built in the first place.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the "do nothing" option does absolutely nothing but benefit existing landlords

the limited force zoning open provisions in the law as it was would do a ton to cripple all sorts of anti-development stuff various towns had in place. yeah it wouldn't open random wealthy town #495 but there's plenty of little towns around cities in other states that maintain hermit status like that. you still get such wonders as a building over 2 stories tall being built.

dumb loving californians want to cover themselves in all the fecal treasure of the reagan years while pretending they care about the poor

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Xaris posted:

the problem i don't understand is won't people who go there just look it at then go on their phone and buy the thing from like 30% less than amazon? that is, unless the markup on BB isn't as loving obscene as it used to be and <10% difference. i suppose the exceptions is NOWNOW, which, again Amazon does same-day shipping a lot of the time for free (for now), or really bulk items in which it may be somewhat cheaper, like a fridge or something. but then just buy it from Costco or Lowes instead for 50% less?

now certainly leasing/renting space to manufacturers is a good idea and has seemingly done well.

bought my wife an alexa from best buy since i am a lousy husband who did not buy an anniversary gift in advance. price on Amazon, 49.99. price at bb walking out the door that minute was... 48.99. was going to have to pay sales tax either way.

a pleasant big-box experience, strangely

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you probably spent a dollar getting there

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

still want to start a business that's a combo datacenter and gym

group A pays you for the privilege of hosting their computers in your DC

group B pays you for the privilege of lifting, racking and unracking group A's computer gear

it exists, it's called sungard

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

you probably spent a dollar getting there

at least it wasn't a dollar going to bezos

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

FCKGW posted:

at least it wasn't a dollar going to bezos

i'm sure there's some number cruncher at amazon right now trying to figure out if an amazon gas station would work.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

TerminalRaptor posted:

i'm sure there's some number cruncher at amazon right now trying to figure out if an amazon gas station would work.

how else will their gig delivery drivers fuel their cars while waiting to deliver my boxes???

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

really good

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Agile Vector posted:

how else will their gig delivery drivers fuel their cars while waiting to deliver my boxes???

out of pocket like they do now

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Xaris posted:

one could argue that passing lukewarm piss poo poo that no one really likes and then clapping ande saying "ALL FIXED!" is worse than the alternative in terms of waiting for things to get worse and actually passing something good . like ACA was probably actually bad because it provided just enough stopgap to eliminate things that effected real white flight babby bombers like pre-exisitng conditions for their fatdiabetes or w/e without them realizing that govt is actually saving their rear end, instead of generating further public hatred of healthcare companies, and now it's been so neutered in almost everyway and bound to get neutered even more in the coming years that possibly prolongs suffering of even more as long enough babby bombers think its all been fixed free market good as long as they're not losing healthcare due to their poor diets.

this is pretty much what will happen though. developers will make bank off selling, small, cheap 2bd apartments and affordability will get worse because new and 'modern' homes push up prices, and it won't address the shortage of other types of dwellings (i.e. family friendly). property developers aren't urban planners, and giving them looser reins simply allows for more opportunities to make money. there is no question that something needs to be done, but thinking that you'll be able to free market your way out of the problem is a fantasy. dwellings are not a fungible good and it does not work like simple supply and demand (particularly in bubble cities).

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 27, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I remember being extremely sick in 9th grade and getting dosed with Benadryl and being sent to school anyway

I closed my eyes and either lost 20 minutes at a time or had hosed up daydream hallucinations in the middle of classes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember being extremely sick in 9th grade and getting dosed with Benadryl and being sent to school anyway

I closed my eyes and either lost 20 minutes at a time or had hosed up daydream hallucinations in the middle of classes

oh GOD i had to put up with this same poo poo, and i always had attention and sleeping in class problems, and ben just loving amplified that x 1000

1st period id be giggling at a funny whiteboard mark and 3rd period id be drooling at my desk

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i'd like to submit the idea of the crows will dump still-burning cigarettes in the machine, setting it on fire.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
also, the bubel is bursting???

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/26/facebook-on-pace-for-biggest-one-day-loss-in-value-for-any-company-sin.html

quote:

Facebook on Thursday posted the largest one-day loss in market value by any company in U.S. stock market history after releasing a disastrous quarterly report.

the previous records are from the dot-com bubble

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
great, bubble starts to burst when I'm already unemployed and looking for a job, typical

the rest of you, :getin:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

and i’m homeless!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

then like a month or two later palo alto and others finished destroying it via exemptions and whatnot, but man the bay area dsa was not happy about it in the first place for some odd reason

I’ve heard that Bay Area DSA is basically a cult of personality around some weird old tankie, that people aren’t allowed to publicly disagree with his proclaimed Correct Thought and stay part of the organization etc.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Wheany posted:

also, the bubel is bursting???

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/26/facebook-on-pace-for-biggest-one-day-loss-in-value-for-any-company-sin.html

the previous records are from the dot-com bubble

hmm let's see what others have to say:

Facebook’s Plunge Shatters Faith in Tech Companies’ Invulnerability

:yeshaha:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
or maybe that was East Bay DSA or something

whatever it’s something I’ve heard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

JawnV6 posted:

those were awesome

had a dream i was in an arcade where you'd like, fall into the pinball machines for this giant open world thing but could still actuate the flippers

Bupropion did this poo poo to me. I'd fall asleep and have intensely vivid dreams that seemed to last forever. It was kind of exhausting in its own way but that may have been the psychosis it gave me after a couple weeks.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Although in terms of drug side effects I'd take the dreams and even the psychosis any day rather than experience Oculogyric crisis ever again.

quote:

Initial symptoms include restlessness, agitation, malaise, or a fixed stare. Then comes the more characteristically described extreme and sustained upward deviation of the eyes. In addition, the eyes may converge, deviate upward and laterally, or deviate downward. The most frequently reported associated findings are backwards and lateral flexion of the neck, widely opened mouth, tongue protrusion, and ocular pain. However it may also be associated with intensely painful jaw spasm which may result in the breaking of a tooth. A wave of exhaustion may follow an episode. The abrupt termination of the psychiatric symptoms at the conclusion of the crisis is most striking.

Basically you suddenly feel the irresistible urge to roll your eyes back into your head and start drooling. Note I said urge. It's not involuntary it just feels like you suddenly really need to do this then it goes away after a few minutes.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

eschaton posted:

or maybe that was East Bay DSA or something

whatever it’s something I’ve heard

Just assume all of the bay area is trash and filled with trash people and you'll save yourself a lot of time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

twitter's getting boned too. god i hope this is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bring me the tears of cnbc commentators