Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Finished the campaign last night. God drat those APCs love to run right underfoot of the enemy mechs on the first part of the last mission. Herding lemmings. I was also disappointed that I couldn't headshot Victoria in the final fight. It's the final fight, let me get my headshots and take their mech. The way the slideshow plays at the end does make it really seem like there was some aspect of a branching storyline thing (with different slides for different decisions) planned originally and it got scrapped halfway through, settling on using the most feasible stuff for the final narrative instead.

It's really rough around the edges but I like this game.

also re patch: Why is it 1 gig? :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

BeAuMaN posted:

also re patch: Why is it 1 gig? :smithicide:

If its anything like Total War: Warhammer, its because Steam has you download the entire updated game first, then overwrites the old version after its done.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Really the only things I dislike about RogueTech so far are the fact that by default, if you eject your own mech ends up on the salvage list, making it unlikely you'll recover it on many missions. The other thing is that LRMs seem to be a lot worse, especially indirect fire. I went into the .json files to change the first one, and as for the second I feel like at least make it more specialized or something (Semi-guided missiles that are worse in direct fire but better at indirect fire, remaining motionless/firing at motionless targets having more missiles hit, etc)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Panfilo posted:

If its anything like Total War: Warhammer, its because Steam has you download the entire updated game first, then overwrites the old version after its done.

From what I've read Steam forces a complete redownload of any file which has changed, no matter how big the file or how small the change. So, hypothetically, if you change one byte of a 10GB file, congrats, redownload 10GB. It won't do delta updates or whatever.

i don't know this for sure but seeing some of the patch sizes I've had to pull makes it believable

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Medusa just alpha striked an Atlas's head off with the Highlander 733P and it only cost me half of my Grasshopper and half of Dekker. :v:

e: Also, all my double heat sinks :negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 27, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Medusa just alpha striked an Atlas's head off with the Highlander 733P and it only cost me half of my Grasshopper and half of Dekker. :v:

There are probably enough Dekker bits out there in other playthroughs to repair him.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Technowolf posted:

There are probably enough Dekker bits out there in other playthroughs to repair him.

The "6 Million Dekker" Dekker?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I think it was Dekker who had a record 111 day hospital stay in one of my campaigns.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

So... looking at the Atlas II you're eventually given at the end of the game... the only thing good on it is:
The Chasis (for the extra support weapon and energy weapon hard points)
The Double Heatsinks

All the lostech weapons are garbage?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They got buffed in patch 1.1 but variant weapons are better.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BeAuMaN posted:

So... looking at the Atlas II you're eventually given at the end of the game... the only thing good on it is:
The Chasis (for the extra support weapon and energy weapon hard points)
The Double Heatsinks

All the lostech weapons are garbage?
Pretty much. Don't knock it though, as the raw tonnage available to it is just loving insane.

It's greatest flaw, more than most lostech guns feeling lackluster, is that you get it at a point where a single good assault mech no longer feels so impressive.

The other big loving deal mech shows up at a point where merely having the chassis makes enemy lance comps just finally fielding assault mechs on occasion look bad.

Your spoiler meanwhile, is given to you at a point where every two bit pirate may be fielding a Steiner Scout Lance, or multiple king crabs.

Spoiler could come with a Guass rifle, and still not be as impressive a leap in power compared to the enemy lances as the last time you got one.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

They lostech weapons were worse before? Harsh.

Section Z posted:

Spoiler could come with a Guass rifle, and still not be as impressive a leap in power compared to the enemy lances as the last time you got one.

This. I also find it humorous that they cheaped out on Double Heat Sinks? Maybe I missed the story reason where the crew just shoved in more heat sinks, heh.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 27, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

BeAuMaN posted:

They lostech weapons were worse before? Harsh.

Princess would overheat if she fired both ER Lasers at once.

I almost lost a mission that way when I accidentally hit fire while setting up a multi-target.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Atlas 2 with 6 LL+++ = :discourse:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

Princess would overheat if she fired both ER Lasers at once.

I almost lost a mission that way when I accidentally hit fire while setting up a multi-target.

Haha well that explains why those random single heat sinks in the legs feel tacked on.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is what I did with my Atlas II.

I did everything in my power to break every Battletech construction rule I could possibly get my hands on.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

A.o.D. posted:

I did everything in my power to break every Battletech construction rule I could possibly get my hands on.

You loving sicko.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A.o.D. posted:

I was trying to fit 2 AC20s onto my Atlas 1 but couldn't really get it to not suck, so this pleases me.

e: I'm still missing my DHSs from my mostly exploded Grasshopper

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

You loving sicko.

Every time I click the shoot gooder button, a mech dies and the baby Jesus cries.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I had a glitched 2nd Gauss so I put those, a ppc, and some lrms in mine

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has the mission variety changed at all yet? Liked the game but man did they get repetitive. Love to see some of those missions be multi parters or something

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I also have a gauss I picked up in salvage. What are the odds I'll ever see ammo for it?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Lord Frisk posted:

I also have a gauss I picked up in salvage. What are the odds I'll ever see ammo for it?

It's on the special pool for planets with Rich+Manufacturing+Research, but will only show very rarely since it's got a weight of 1 and those planets have item pools in the order of 1300~2000.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Can someone give a vague idea what Roguetech is like other than "harder, permanent evasion, lots of weird mech modules"? Is the core gameplay otherwise significantly changed? Are there a lot of different mission types which don't just boil down to "blow up all the enemy mechs"?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Imagine adding a lot more tedious stuff to pretty much every juncture of the core game, like pilots getting tired and stressed even if they don't take a single incoming shot

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

RabidWeasel posted:

Can someone give a vague idea what Roguetech is like other than "harder, permanent evasion, lots of weird mech modules"? Is the core gameplay otherwise significantly changed? Are there a lot of different mission types which don't just boil down to "blow up all the enemy mechs"?

Pilots get fatigued after battles which tanks their stats, they recover after a few days.

Pilots have a chance to panic and eject, which increases when they lose mech parts, fall down overheat or are the last mech left on their side.

Overheating now lowers speed and has a chance for shutdown or ammo explosion. I saw an AI stalker blow its side torsos out from ammo explosions.

Theres lots more variants of existing mechs, and a few new ones (crab, Warhammer, marauder). This is a blessing and a curse since it takes longer to assemble mechs via salvage since you end up with pieces of different variants.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Also power armor enemies :3:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
There are also missions where you have to commit to a set time doing missions back-to-back. Since pilots get fatigued you'll probably want lots of pilots to rotate through to do these missions.

Bulwark and Breaching Shot are Module effects in RogueTech instead of skills. Breaching Shot skill is now replaced by Warlord which boosts damage, range, and accuracy of all weapons. Bulwark now has Juggernaut in its place which boosts damage of melee attack on top of reducing target's initiative, and the second Guts skill is now Berserker which braces/entrenches you when you use melee attacks.

There's a lot of Solaris tech in the mod and you can (and should) have one mech in your lance kitted out for melee, since it is so powerful.

Occasionally you'll salvage "Legendary" mechs which give a lot more flexibility in terms of hardpoints. A 35-ton Legendary mech bristling with advanced equipment can really punch above its weight while taking advantage of its better sensor range and initiative.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
...oh yeah, and mechs can shoot/melee after sprinting with the mod, which is a great improvement and again makes Light mechs a lot more useful since they can take much better advantage of it. Granted it does negatively affect your accuracy, but considering its just a flat penalty regardless of how fast you moved, and the fact that there are modules to increase sprint speed (Supercharger, Triple Strength Myomer, MASC) a very fast light will be virtually impossible to hit if you sprint every turn.

Pulse lasers and a few pirate-variant weapons have some of their damage as 'variable' which can be good or bad depending on the tonnage and heat invested and the dice gods.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That mostly sounds like fun, losing control of your units because they're freaking out is not though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Pilot panic is actually useful because it triggers on the enemy's turn and tends to happen when you'd want to punch out anyway. It's saved the lives of 2 of my pilots so far and I lucked out triggering it on enemies really fast (happens faster on lighter mechs, getting alpha strikes from behind and stomped on while prone).

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I played with the punchout mod (What I assume roguetech is using, probably tweaked a bit for its stuff) and yeah, it was usually more of a benefit than a drawback.

By the time your guys are hitting the eject, things have most likely really, really gone south and them punching it means your not having to hose them out of the cockpit afterwards. On the other hand, making enemy pilots eject was a great way to get 3/3 salvage, and it was nice for the lovely last locust standing to punch out when you glare at it from your Atlas, instead of having it fight to the death like a dummy. My only complaint I had with the mod was it applying to assassination mission targets, because it both made them too easy and hurt my immersion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Having a mission where you have to capture a guy in a mech would be an interesting challenge to force them to eject.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Jawnycat posted:

I played with the punchout mod (What I assume roguetech is using, probably tweaked a bit for its stuff) and yeah, it was usually more of a benefit than a drawback.

By the time your guys are hitting the eject, things have most likely really, really gone south and them punching it means your not having to hose them out of the cockpit afterwards. On the other hand, making enemy pilots eject was a great way to get 3/3 salvage, and it was nice for the lovely last locust standing to punch out when you glare at it from your Atlas, instead of having it fight to the death like a dummy. My only complaint I had with the mod was it applying to assassination mission targets, because it both made them too easy and hurt my immersion.

This would be better with a pilot recovery mechanic along with the ability to ransom pilots or turn them over to people. After recovering them you could decide to kill then or ransom them. You could return nobility to their originating faction. Cut the ransom amount and gain more rep. Or sell them to an opposing faction for a rep drop and more cash. For pirates, you could probably collect bounties. Maybe a recruit option as well.

What I'm saying is if there is space nobility then there must be space ransom.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

BeAuMaN posted:

This would be better with a pilot recovery mechanic along with the ability to ransom pilots or turn them over to people. After recovering them you could decide to kill then or ransom them. You could return nobility to their originating faction. Cut the ransom amount and gain more rep. Or sell them to an opposing faction for a rep drop and more cash. For pirates, you could probably collect bounties. Maybe a recruit option as well.

What I'm saying is if there is space nobility then there must be space ransom.

I had an idea of more Argo modules, such as a Brig to let you capture Mechwarriors and either ransok them or force them to work for you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Capture enemy pilots and force them to ride along with Dekker in the rumble seat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Instead of salvaging mechs just Fulton Extract them when they fall down.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Acinonyx posted:

I never thought I'd see someone recommend the Gray Death trilogy unironically. In a universe of Mary-Sue's that rear end in a top hat is the king. It's taxing to think about but I might even take that Jade Falcon stuff over GD, and that's pure trash. Wolves on the Boarder has to be the best both from a story perspective and from a 'this is pretty close to how this game works' perspective.

Grayson's a mary-sue in the conventional action hero way, but he's not the worst of them by any means - he fucks up, suffers meaningful consequences for those fuckups, and the author doesn't feel compelled to constantly remind us how awestruck his companions are by his prowess.

He's still not a great character, but in the context of this game the first GDL series does an excellent job of capturing the feeling of the hardscrabble mercenary company that fights podunk wars in asswater periphery systems and is never more than one mishap away from bankruptcy.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Grayson's a mary-sue in the conventional action hero way, but he's not the worst of them by any means - he fucks up, suffers meaningful consequences for those fuckups, and the author doesn't feel compelled to constantly remind us how awestruck his companions are by his prowess.

He's still not a great character, but in the context of this game the first GDL series does an excellent job of capturing the feeling of the hardscrabble mercenary company that fights podunk wars in asswater periphery systems and is never more than one mishap away from bankruptcy.

Yeah I think he was thinking maybe Jeremiah Rose? The Grey Death story largely doesn't end well. Almost gets assassinated, can no longer pilot a mech, dies of cancer, and his legion dies later on that year. He's far from a "lol everything just turns up aces" Mary Sue. I mean in a world that contains the Allards, the Davions etc Gray doesn't even make it as a blip on the Mary Sue radar. Hell he's not even the worst person named Gray, because who the gently caress gets to be a solaris champion driving a loving RIFLEMAN?

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

After I finished the campaign, all the planet difficulties went to 1-1.5 skull difficulty, is that normal?