Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
It’s cool, they fly down and see the diabolical beat down you are giving their boss and just nope the gently caress out.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

a lot of fights are, I'd say. one of the fine folks I raid with once mentioned that he visualizes mechanics like the steps in a drum corps performance, which I thought was evocative.

As a former drum corps kid I think about it exactly the same way. I think it's why I like raiding more than the rest of the game

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

super sweet best pal posted:

Levi EX is really fun after learning the mechanics. It's like a dance.

Yeah, I loved running it back in the day for horses. Felt so good to watch people slide off while you had the whole fight on lock.

Nowadays I just yawn through it by abusing Surecast. Such a wonderful skill.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Am I understanding the armoury system right - once I've collected a piece of equipment from a quest or crafting, it's available to all other classes I level? So I don't have to faff around regearing?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As long as you still have it in your inventory, yeah. It's like equipment in other games, it's usually only locked to whether you can use it as a tank, a physical DPS, a caster, or a non-combat, at least during leveling. Endgame gear has more restrictions on who can use it though, but that's not for a while yet.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've just started unlocking Extreme difficulty trials. How hard are they? Would they be fine to do unsynced on a level 68 WHM?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It... varies a lot by the specific trial. Overall they're noticeably harder than normal trials or alliance raids, but slightly harder to slightly easier than 8-man raids, and way easier than savage raids. And since you're not level capped yet, the extreme ones you have access to are prior expansion ones and doable unsynced and thus relatively trivial if you know the mechanics. I'd only trying soloing the ARR ones though, HW ones need a lot more throughput, but you're more than fine for group unsynced attempts.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Ibblebibble posted:

As long as you still have it in your inventory, yeah. It's like equipment in other games, it's usually only locked to whether you can use it as a tank, a physical DPS, a caster, or a non-combat, at least during leveling. Endgame gear has more restrictions on who can use it though, but that's not for a while yet.

So just keep hold of everything until I figure the game out? :v:

Really kicking myself for not trying this sooner. It's such a lovely game.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The only thing I would hold onto is the "Brand New Ring" and maybe the rest of the Brand New gear from the tutorial person in a major city's inn. The ring gives you +30% XP for jobs under level 30, and it's pretty usable as just a regular rear end ring till level 50.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You can reclaim the Brand New set for like 500 gil at the calamity reclaimer guy, I think.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Guess who just graduated from the Hall of Novices.

:smug:

The world seems to have opened for me now, just got access to the airships, so time to slow down a bit and poke around with a couple other classes - maybe dip into crafting - before I proceed with the (surprisingly endearing) storyline. Having trouble keeping track of everyone, but as I mentioned earlier the wordplay and general writing is wonderful.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You don't need to pay the guy for more Brand New stuff, you can just run the relevant tutorial mission again. In fact, you have to if you want to get the other two types of Brand New gear.

An important thing to note about gear, by the way, is that the optimizer is bad at its job if you're a tank. The short version being "it will look at the stats and ignore the defense, and since your job is getting punched in the face, defense is really important." This is only a problem for sub-50 tanks, of course. Other classes don't have to worry about their defense ratings so much, and above 50, who can wear what gets broken up further, so you won't have tanks running around in DPS gear because it gives two more points of vitality but a third of the defense.

As for the gear of other classes, I think you should hang on to it in case you want to play them, but since it's sub-15 gear, it's not a big deal if you junk it all. It's easy enough to replace.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The general quality of writing in this game is one of my favorite things about it along with more or less everything else. The only real issue is the filler in the first part of the game, but they've long since stopped with that.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
what am i doing with my life

please help, it’s not even done yet

Also, I hit :69snypa: on WAR last night, one more level and I’m done with all the dumb combat jobs. Then I can focus on the real game, crafting and mining!

bet weavers don’t have to go to ghost islands all the time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

what am i doing with my life
bet weavers don’t have to go to ghost islands all the time

No, they're too busy enabling questionable relationships.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

No, they're too busy enabling questionable relationships.

The whole Stormblood WVR questline made me really uncomfortable. The dancer girl was fine, but the sponsor guy.... :yikes:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
It was this mix of geisha and Japanese idol worship with the dirt polished off but knowing all the skeevyness that both of those entail in real life just made the whole thing real uncomfortable.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rainuwastaken posted:

The whole Stormblood WVR questline made me really uncomfortable. The dancer girl was fine, but the sponsor guy.... :yikes:

Nah, the dancer girl was an idiot too. Still not as bad as the girl in the carpenter quests. Wanted to shake her after she kept forgetting the same lesson over and over.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The wvr quest wasn't bad; I can see the lines of "wow this is getting into creepy territory" but it was largely the dancer being a doofus and trying to stir poo poo. The crp quest was like "you dumbass, you absolute moron".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is it wrong that I was most disappointed in the CUL quests from Stormblood since they're such a step down in intensity from the ARR and HW quests?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thundarr posted:

Is it wrong that I was most disappointed in the CUL quests from Stormblood since they're such a step down in intensity from the ARR and HW quests?

Not really, although there are a surprising number of SB class quests about love.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The CUL quests are top notch, the writing is outstanding.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah the writing is good, I agree. It's just that you go from humiliating one of the most powerful people in the world, to stepping into an episode of Shokugeki no Soma, to gently broadening somebody's horizons.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I bought all of the HW Cul quest turnins off the marketboard. I’m a pro tier chef :smug:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safeword posted:

Guess who just graduated from the Hall of Novices.

:smug:

The world seems to have opened for me now, just got access to the airships, so time to slow down a bit and poke around with a couple other classes - maybe dip into crafting - before I proceed with the (surprisingly endearing) storyline. Having trouble keeping track of everyone, but as I mentioned earlier the wordplay and general writing is wonderful.

What's your in-game name?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Managed to get that thing where Godka finishes his enrage but we still kill him last night.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Congrats!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sup first-kill-as-enrage-is-resolving buddy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I forgot how quick they completely neuter the 2.55 climax in HW. Like 15 quests in, you don't even hit level 51 before they do it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Mordiceius posted:

What's your in-game name?

My character is Reilana Quillbourne, but I'm stuck on Gilgamesh for now. Was aiming to get onto Balmung, but congestion makes this a problem.

That said, I got the base game and both expansions for just over a tenner in the summer sale, so I might be able to justify a server transfer.

Now I just have to find an extra USB port for the keyboard so I don't go without headphones...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Should have rolled on Excal with all of your budzzz

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safeword posted:

Was aiming to get onto Balmung

:barf:

Come hang out on Excalibur with all the cool people.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Safeword posted:

My character is Reilana Quillbourne, but I'm stuck on Gilgamesh for now. Was aiming to get onto Balmung, but congestion makes this a problem.

That said, I got the base game and both expansions for just over a tenner in the summer sale, so I might be able to justify a server transfer.

Now I just have to find an extra USB port for the keyboard so I don't go without headphones...

goon guilds are cool, chill, and generous! people are almost always willing to tag along if you're doing content for the first time, too

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I might just do that. :shobon:

Always deviated towards RP servers for the background chatter, but I've seen the, uh, stuff which goes on here.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You called it a tenner which sounds distinctly British to me. The eurogoon FC is on Omega if you weren't aware. We are cool and good.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I wish I hadn't made so many friends on Leviathan, because now I can't bear to jump ship and hang out in the cool rear end goon guild.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'll consider my options. Thanks guys. :haw:

Also, this dance teacher Guillaunaux...

Hm, these Empire guys don't seem on the level.

Safeword fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 27, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Triple Triad.

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh yes