Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've both had that chair, and seen it by dumpsters. The arm adjustment pegs break and the lumbar portion is non-adjustable, and you can't twist the spring tight enough to keep it from tilting back super easily without using the locking lever. It's pretty crap, and also $162.

I'm not joking - I've actually designed and printed a replacement locking peg for the arms for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Those dont sound like very real problems, and there's like 50 chairs on the staples site that's just one of em. I dunno dude I think you could've done better

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Costco has decent mesh bottom/back chairs for like $60. I've had one for years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I can understand that the one sold by the big-name company in the US is crap. What I don't get is deciding that the one thrown onto a cargo ship directly from the factory with no quality control would be less crappy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, the Ali one is most assuredly dogshit, no doubt. I'm just saying that chairs, in general, are two things:

Expensive

and

Garbage

Until you get to something stupid like the $500 range.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yes, please join us over at the Show me your knits thread. :)

Thank you for this!

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Hoplosternum posted:

I tried to order 3 of this listing and the seller messaged, saying they were out of stock and to cancel the order using 'other reason'. The listing is still available. What manner of scamminess are they up to?

RichardA posted:

Same. denied my attempt to cancel when I set the reason to that it was out of stock. Given that it is in stock from the same seller for a higher price I guess that it is an attempt to avoid penalties for not fulfilling the order by having the customers cancel. Personally I'm going to leave it as if it is not shipped within a few more days it will automatically cancel. I'm interested to see if it is shipped or not.

They ended up shipping it ~10 hours before the automatic cancel time.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 27, 2018

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh, the Ali one is most assuredly dogshit, no doubt. I'm just saying that chairs, in general, are two things:

Expensive

and

Garbage

Until you get to something stupid like the $500 range.

My wife scored one of those 900 dollar Herman Miller office chairs from the local Goodwill. She paid 15 bucks for it.

It's amazingly comfortable, so I can see your point. It had a problem with the arm rests. They were sort of squashy and deflated. We found a Chinese company that makes replacements for 40 dollars a pair.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

My cousin is about to crap out a baby, so naturally I bought it a crown.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and heavy metal poisoning probably. For real check it and dont let the baby get their mouth on it.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

It's not actually metal it's cloth and tbh by the time it's old enough sit up and even comprehend the crown let alone want to eat it it will have been outgrown/forgotten about. It was like 80c I think.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah that just looks like stiff lace to me, not metal. Worst case scenario is it's too scratchy and baby doesn't tolerate it and you chuck it on a decorative shelf or throw it away.

EDIT: The thing I like is that none of the pictures with baby are of the actual lace crown they're selling, which is the one in standalone pictures presumably. It gets the idea across at least.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

RichardA posted:

They ended up shipping it ~10 hours before the automatic cancel time.

dammit, I chickened out and followed their demands as I was paranoid about losing my $12 altogether. Will know for next time.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'm sure you have seen this delightful cat box. I think most any cat would freak out on this thing.. If not, enjoy!!
cat box

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pakistani politics posted:

I'm sure you have seen this delightful cat box. I think most any cat would freak out on this thing.. If not, enjoy!!
cat box

lmao holy poo poo those eyes

that cat is about .0001s away from a screaming freakout in that space capsule cat cage

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

It would be great if there was a way to take my cat buddy out on adventures sometimes, but cats just aren't down for that.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
This cat is well-trained, chill AF, and seems to actually enjoy adventuring. I still would not attempt to put it in that box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iigDXgdKkuI

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

My wife scored one of those 900 dollar Herman Miller office chairs from the local Goodwill. She paid 15 bucks for it.

It's amazingly comfortable, so I can see your point. It had a problem with the arm rests. They were sort of squashy and deflated. We found a Chinese company that makes replacements for 40 dollars a pair.

Yeah check your local craigslist equivalent for this stuff too. The Aeron is a great chair that can stand up to goon tier abuse and wherever you have an office that uses them, you'll find a maintenance guy flipping them after a quick repair every time they're replaced.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pakistani politics posted:

cat box

Stick a hose and some soap in there, give it a shake, and voila, cat bath.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, I got the SKMEI

They are pretty much exactly as advertized. All dials and buttons are actually real and do stuff. Including the famed el luminous technology. They even have a sticker at the back that says SKMEI QC pass, god drat! One of the finest time pieces 20 dollars can buy IMO.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sekenr posted:

They are pretty much exactly as advertized. All dials and buttons are actually real and do stuff. Including the famed el luminous technology. They even have a sticker at the back that says SKMEI QC pass, god drat! One of the finest time pieces 20 dollars can buy IMO.

How do you set the time on that?

Every digital watch I have bought from Ali uses the mode button: fast click to change mode, hold to go to time set mode.
It's annoying because the button is designed to be easy to press, so my fitbit keeps changing the time.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

spog posted:

How do you set the time on that?

Every digital watch I have bought from Ali uses the mode button: fast click to change mode, hold to go to time set mode.
It's annoying because the button is designed to be easy to press, so my fitbit keeps changing the time.

This one is hold reset to go into change time/date mode.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Well, I got the SKMEI

Its already been said but I'll repeat, you should have gone with the Casio. The F-91W is a timeless classic for half the price. The only fashion accessory sported by both Barack Obama and Osama Bin Laden, you'll blow your CIA friends away with this stylish timepiece.

(Seriously, I love mine, and it cracks me up every day that the NATO band cost as much as the watch.)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Obama, osama, and Napoleon Dynamite

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love how the watch that one is ripping off costs $5 less

Casio Men's AE1200WH-1A World Time Multifunction Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094B79PA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Dk6wBbFC933D4

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Snowy posted:

I love how the watch that one is ripping off costs $5 less

Casio Men's AE1200WH-1A World Time Multifunction Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094B79PA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Dk6wBbFC933D4

We already went through this, but don't buy from that listing. It's probably been hijacked by the counterfeits, which is why half the reviews in the last year are fake and why that version itself is cheaper than the black one.

https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B0094B79PA?utm_source=extension&utm_content=chrome_v2.2

Here's a quick podcast talking about listing hijacking

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/124

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
An f91 used to be about five quid.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

We already went through this, but don't buy from that listing. It's probably been hijacked by the counterfeits, which is why half the reviews in the last year are fake and why that version itself is cheaper than the black one.

https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B0094B79PA?utm_source=extension&utm_content=chrome_v2.2

Here's a quick podcast talking about listing hijacking

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/124

It’s sold by amazon, not a third party. That is a good episode of Reply All :)

My favorite $15 Casio is the F108, nice and simple like the f91w but a little bigger and sturdier.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What's the deal with goons and Casio watches, is it an ironic thing, chasing childhood memories, an internet meme or what? idgi.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's a specific watch that was used to make a lot of bombs.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Woden posted:

What's the deal with goons and Casio watches, is it an ironic thing, chasing childhood memories, an internet meme or what? idgi.

they're cheap and with the way people apparently break their watches all the time or are too lazy to take them off in the shower because apparently that's a thing people do, they're easily replaced.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

For me the Casio is a sort of ironic anti-fashion statement, which is itself a deliberate and acceptable fashion choice. It's 2018, watches stopped being functional time-keeping objects a while ago. If you're wearing one, it's a conscious effort made with fashion in mind. Yet the Casio has absolutely no value other than as a time-keeping instrument. It's a $10 hunk of plastic and glass with three functions and a supremely lovely back-light, with very little regard for form or ascetic. It has achieved such high market penetration as to be completely ubiquitous. It's the ultimate anachronism, three pared back features driven off a single quartz crystal in the age of smartphones. It channels pure irony, and is a perfect 80's throwback.

In other words, "Look at me, I'm different!" or alternatively "I'm an unoriginal geeky-rear end-hipster-millennial, please put me on ignore!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Watches have been de-obsoleted by the fact that cell phones are loving huge these days and I can't be arsed to dig it out of my pocket every time I just want to know what time it is. (Also you have to press a button to see the time so it's hell of slower anyway.)

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Watches are useful, it's fun to get a few used ones and pick a different one to wear hth

I bought a waving chairman mao watch (the time keeping mechanism makes him wave!) For $3. I've never owned a mechanical watch before. It's losing time and there's repair guides online for some reason

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Watches have been de-obsoleted by the fact that cell phones are loving huge these days and I can't be arsed to dig it out of my pocket every time I just want to know what time it is. (Also you have to press a button to see the time so it's hell of slower anyway.)

Yeah I typed all that out, but at the same time I do outdoorsy stuff all the time and my phone is usually deep in my backpack somewhere, so a watch is pretty important.

Still, choosing a Casio F-91W is undoubtedly an ironic anachronism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrHammond posted:

Still, choosing a Casio F-91W is undoubtedly an ironic anachronism.

Yeah nah it's literally the first hit when you search for "Casio watch" on Amazon and it costs like 10 whatever so it's not undoubtedly anything more than "I want a really cheap watch that I know doesn't suck total rear end".

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah nah it's literally the first hit when you search for "Casio watch" on Amazon and it costs like 10 whatever so it's not undoubtedly anything more than "I want a really cheap watch that I know doesn't suck total rear end".

Well I'm an anachronistically ironic rear end in a top hat, not just some amazon monkey, tyvm. :colbert:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
*digital watch

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I specifically have a watch with a second hand because *medics* and *nursing* and stuff (my current program actually requires it) but I had it for years beforehand. Watches are useful and cool and using your phone as a clock is annoying.

Coincidentally it's a Casio, but I got it specifically because it does atomic time, and has a solar panel in the face so I never have to change batteries. Waveceptor something I can't be arsed to take it off and check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I found my old casio with a broken strap the other day, I should get a replacement for it and start using it again because it was a pretty great watch now that I think about it