Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

Faith Goldy is allegedly going to run for mayor of Toronto, I hope everyone loves the city being run by a literal nazi

Lol, James Sears is already running. Maybe they can have a Nazi deathmatch and then we can load the winner into a trebuchet and fire them into the lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The fools! they're going to split the nazi vote

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Tippecanoe posted:

Ah, there's probably plenty to go around

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
WOW BREAKING Katherine Wynne comments on Doug Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CVvNRQcvE

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
loving hell, Tory has been a consistent disappointment as mayor and this is just the pinnacle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Next time you go to a Cadillac Fairview mall, be sure to flip off the hidden camera in the info kiosk, which is apparently reading your face to collect demographic information and improve your shopping experience.

Then go to the self-serve guillotine and use it, as punishment for supporting consumerism and the cancer that is "malls." If you lack proper motivation, try going to the Apple store to purchase a product, and the misery of the entire experience will convince you that death is indeed the superior option.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'd rather not kill myself for going to where the clothes are, but thanks for the request.

Instead I'll go where somewhere there are clothes but no cameras, because I don't mind the idea of seeing someone from a racialized group while I'm consuming.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

I'd rather not kill myself for going to where the clothes are, but thanks for the request.

I was making fun of the anti-capitalists in the thread, not being serious.

On the other hand, I am deadly serious about the Apple Store being a heinous place that drains me of the will to live any time I have the misfortune of stepping inside it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
For the Toronto peeps in this thread, there's a rally at 6pm tonight, at Nathan Phillips Square, protesting the ward cuts.

Show up and make some noise, or don't, whatever.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

I was making fun of the anti-capitalists in the thread, not being serious.

On the other hand, I am deadly serious about the Apple Store being a heinous place that drains me of the will to live any time I have the misfortune of stepping inside it.

Oh that's totally fair, by all means keep doing that, and slap me for thinking such a thing!

And yes, whichever alien civilization destroys and replaces ours will most definitely have pictures of the loving apple store in their diorama justifying it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They arrested the ferry terminal racist

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

vyelkin posted:

Exactly. Reminder that last time the PCs formed government in Ontario, one of their first acts was literally called the "Fewer Politicians Act" and it significantly reduced the size of the provincial legislature, from 130 to 103. Making government less representative is a longstanding goal of the Ontario Conservatives.

Hey hey hey,

Let's also not forget Tory's closed door meeting with Doug Ford not a 5 days ago in which he sought 'strong mayor powers'. While this isn't the same thing, I think that the value of Tory's vote on council jumps and further reform is possible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

What is this ... feeling. Is it hope?

Hopefully not...

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/1022873023345385474

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you think you can get seven provincial governments to sign onto an agreement where they voluntarily give up a huge source of their power and authority, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

infernal machines posted:

For the Toronto peeps in this thread, there's a rally at 6pm tonight, at Nathan Phillips Square, protesting the ward cuts.

Show up and make some noise, or don't, whatever.

Seconding this, its a good idea to turn up if you're into that kinda thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tippecanoe posted:

Paul Fromm is running here in Hamilton. Can we just burn whatever hole all these bigots hide in?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The city of Toronto should go the way of Hamburg, Berlin, Bremen etc in Germany.
It’s big enough that it really should be a city-state within Canada rather than at the mercy of rural Ontario.
This should be doable. We just use whatever mechanism we used to create Nunavut from the NWT.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 27, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not at the mercy of rural Ontario it's at the mercy of a drug dealing cock

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kraftwerk posted:

The city of Toronto should go the way of Hamburg, Berlin, Bremen etc in Germany.
It’s big enough that it really should be a city-state within Canada rather than at the mercy of rural Ontario.

This kind of goes for each major metro area in each province. Our provinces are basically a single metro area each which subsidize all the dumb rural fucks who demand equal services despite living at a thousandth of the density.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yes my point still stands. It’s possible to have city-states or city-provinces with all our major cities the way Germany does. I think it makes sense because it also allows the federal government to properly split its priorities between cities and provinces rather than expecting a government responsible for the vast tracts of land in a province to also represent the infrastructure needs of a city.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

This kind of goes for each major metro area in each province. Our provinces are basically a single metro area each which subsidize all the dumb rural fucks who demand equal services despite living at a thousandth of the density.

Agreed. Calgary and Edmonton need this worst of all because the rest of our province is so extremely loving stupid and rear end-backward.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

Our provinces are basically a single metro area each which subsidize all the dumb rural fucks who demand equal services despite living at a thousandth of the density.

Rural people were here first though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

This should be doable. We just use whatever mechanism we used to create Nunavut from the NWT.

Good news! Jennifer Keesmaat, former city planner, has announced she's running for mayor. Apparently on a platform advocating secession from the province.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, she'd certainly be a better mayor than John Tory, I'll give her that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

High bar that is.

She'd be a better mayor than the guy whose reaction to the premier slashing the city government in half was "I thought he was joking".

Tru dat. :rip: Saron Gebresellassi, every progressive who might have voted for you just jumped ship.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Keesmaat is good. If she wins and gets a not insanely poo poo council we're going to get so much poo poo finally done that would've been done a decade ago if not for Ford.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Good news! Jennifer Keesmaat, former city planner, has announced she's running for mayor. Apparently on a platform advocating secession from the province.

I’m voting for her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hand Knit posted:

Keesmaat is good. If she wins and gets a not insanely poo poo council we're going to get so much poo poo finally done that would've been done a decade ago if not for Ford.

I mean, a Toronto mayor can try to do good things for the city but whoever gets elected is going to have a Ford of Damocles hanging over their head.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hey everyone I've got this cool progressive thing Toronto can do --oh whoops wait, Doug Ford just dissolved City Hall and now he's put out a bounty on a couple of droids...?!

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Keesmat is a developer shill.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I’m gonna get involved in her campaign. I’ve advocated for secession for most of my adult life and I’m not gonna sit on the sidelines now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Keesmat is a developer shill.

I hope you mean that relative to John Tory because I could use a laugh.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I didn't think today could be topped. I was wrong:

https://twitter.com/680NEWS/status/1022909535181262848

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
If Toronto secedes, can Ottawa-Gatineau become a capital district like DC? Please? Don't leave us for the idiot rurals to feed on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

brucio posted:

If Toronto secedes, can Ottawa-Gatineau become a capital district like DC? Please? Don't leave us for the idiot rurals to feed on.

Only if we still get our MPs because DC does not have their own federal representation IIRC

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Keesmat is literally working with westbank and the fucks in abundant housing to build condos with federal subsidies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And Tory just had a temper tantrum last night when Council was thinking about not throwing hundreds of millions of tax dollars at developers as thanks for building their projects.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Congrats Toronto. Your next mayor is going to be a developer shill.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Hell. I will help out. gently caress this milque toast Tory response to the gutting of Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Congrats Toronto. Your next mayor is going to be a developer shill.

Worked out great for Vancouver with the last decade or so of Gregor (not so much)