Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

I keep looking at my pile of Mardu Pyromancer cards and keep wondering if $200 for a playset of Blackcleave Cliffs is worth it. Other than that I have the entire deck, and the OCD part of my brain wants to put together a RB deck now that I have a Bant list locked down for the time being.

The price of Blackcleave Cliffs is bullshit, but they're good in any RBx deck that there will ever be in Modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Sounds like somebody got blown out one time too many

Any deck that make sure I am getting my money's worth out of every round and also play 8 basics, is a deck I want to play.

No, I legitimately think control is a bad idea. UW Control is probably an "ok" choice but I still would never take what is hopefully the right set of answers to the gallery of questions that is modern.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

ShaneB posted:

Do you want to have to think a little about your role in the game, when to turn a corner, etc etc, or just do the same thing in 90% of your games?

I'd honestly suggest a midrange deck to learn the format but only mardu pyromancer is particularly good. Jund can actually play the aggressor better than Mardu but it's expensive and not that well-positioned. Mardu is also somewhat challenging to play.

Humans is a disruptive aggro deck that is probably one of the top 3 decks in the format. It's not that cheap and is probably somewhat challenging, especially if your combat math skills aren't a forte.

For a good linear game plan deck I guess I'd put them in order from most easy to least easy at something like: Burn, Hollow One, Infect, Affinity.

gently caress control decks.

Big Mana is kind of your last big bucket option and only Tron is top tier. It's a great deck to own but I wouldn't suggest it for your only deck at first.
Okay, sounds like I should try out Mardu Pyromancer. I do like grinding and winning long term on value so it seems like that would be a good fit. I'll start looking around for builds.
:gonk:

Edit:

TheKingofSprings posted:

What is your playstyle? Knowing what you like to do will help narrow it down.
I like grindy value, as I said above. I'm not really into aggro stuff like burn because I feel like I can get close but often I run out of cards and can't finish. I don't think I know things well enough to play combo stuff like Gifts or control. I also like timmy stuff of playing huge things. When I came into this I was thinking about Jund or maybe Tron but it seems like Mardu Pyromancer is favored in the meta right now?

Also, to give my background, I pretty solely play cubes so I know magic pretty well and I read these threads so I know the general metas but I have never actually picked up a modern deck.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 27, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Grifter posted:

Okay, sounds like I should try out Mardu Pyromancer. I do like grinding and winning long term on value so it seems like that would be a good fit. I'll start looking around for builds.

It's legitimately challenging to play but you will certainly get your money's worth on game length.

You could do a lot worse than this list:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1213324#paper

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

No, I legitimately think control is a bad idea. UW Control is probably an "ok" choice but I still would never take what is hopefully the right set of answers to the gallery of questions that is modern.

I mean I agree it's a terrible idea as someone's first deck in the format. I do completely think that UW or maybe jeskai control are tier 1 decks for the first time in a long time in modern though and would confidently take UW control to any event right now. Then again it's modern, and I would feel confident taking a variety of decks to any event right now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Grifter posted:

I was thinking about Jund or maybe Tron but it seems like Mardu Pyromancer is favored in the meta right now?

Following up on your edit: Tron is probably a particularly good choice in the meta for a few reasons: 1) Hollow One [a truly bad matchup for Tron] is a bit less popular, 2) Infect, while gaining a bit of share, still isn't something people trust due to 3) Jeskai control and Mardu Pyromancer still having a large metagame share. Tron annhilates Jeskai and Mardu but supposedly UW Control can not just auto-lose the way most control decks can. I don't think we actually have enough data to really understand. However, if the sample size is truly 29 games between G Tron and UW Control from the last 3 GPs, UW Control taking 20 of them is pretty interesting. It's still not big enough to be conclusive, but it's concerning as someone who has enjoyed playing Tron recently to see a control deck taking an advantage like that.

And honestly, Jund is just fine... but there's no reason to sink the $2,000 into it unless you are some dyed in the wool Jund fan. There are plenty of more powerful decks for less than half the price.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

The price of Blackcleave Cliffs is bullshit, but they're good in any RBx deck that there will ever be in Modern.

Maybe I'll just passively pick them up then, I don't have a ton of wants in general right now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Maybe I'll just passively pick them up then, I don't have a ton of wants in general right now.

Trade or sell into them and reduce your guilt!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

And honestly, Jund is just fine... but there's no reason to sink the $2,000 into it unless you are some dyed in the wool Jund fan. There are plenty of more powerful decks for less than half the price.

He says he has access to all the staples.

I think the easiest deck to play in modern is probably scapeshift but if you want to grind, Jund is a good choice. Less sure on Mardu because I think Faithless looting is a very difficult card to play correctly a lot of the time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

I think the easiest deck to play in modern is probably scapeshift but if you want to grind, Jund is a good choice. Less sure on Mardu because I think Faithless looting is a very difficult card to play correctly a lot of the time.

Well what people say and what they have are different things, ultimately.

Jund is fun and I legitimately love casting every card in it but it's just such a "draw the wrong half of your deck" deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
UW doesn’t auto-lose because Tron doesn’t like counterspells and land destruction and they run plenty of both maindeck. As powerful as Tron is they generally only play a spell a turn and control has the tools to answer them with fewer blanks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

UW doesn’t auto-lose because Tron doesn’t like counterspells and land destruction and they run plenty of both maindeck. As powerful as Tron is they generally only play a spell a turn and control has the tools to answer them with fewer blanks.

Makes sense.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

To add to this, UW control is playing 4 field of ruin and 1 ghost quarter usually. UW also isn't scared of the creature half of tron at all and likely won't waste counters on those. Jeskai is more vulnerable to castings of Ulamog because the manabase is a bit more delicate, but UW plays 8 basics and plenty of other duals so it's difficult to cut them off of a color. Also, Teferi gives an answer to tron's resolved planeswalkers, even if just a temporary one to buy turns. Once the game grinds down and is going slower, JtmS fatesealing tron is super effective because they don't have much in the way of real card advantage beyond cycling cards or stirrings. Well-timed entreats can end a game in 1 turn as well. Old versions of UW depended on spreading seas to slow tron down and were more vulnerable to oblivion stone, the more recent versions don't care as much about o-stone. Sideboard it gets a lot better as well.

Tron is still scary in the matchup because sometimes they just turn 3 tron and drop something you don't have an answer for, or repeatedly find tron pieces more often than you can deal with threats. I used to be a lot more scared of the tron matchup than I am now though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Grifter posted:

I'm thinking about getting into Modern. What's a good deck for a starter? I have access to all the staples, I'm looking for a rec on a deck that will be reasonably simple to play and will help me learn the format.

my friend, have you heard the good news about UR Storm?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Trade or sell into them and reduce your guilt!

Gotta save up for that PT promo Emrakul though which I'll never end up using at this rate.

E: I'm not the only person that comes up with a decklist, acquires all of the cards for it, and then eventually starts trading/selling them off without ever actually playing the completed deck, right?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 27, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Gotta save up for that PT promo Emrakul though which I'll never end up using at this rate.

E: I'm not the only person that comes up with a decklist, acquires all of the cards for it, and then eventually starts trading/selling them off without ever actually playing the completed deck, right?

Lol.

The expensive cards I have sold off thinking I am some kind of galaxy brain include a playset of Cavern of Souls at like $145, so at this point I just kind of assume all my modern stuff will slowly go up over time, even if some pieces get reprinted.

But yeah, I wish I was better with my disposable income so that I didn't feel like "but why get rid of these Scalding Tarns, they might be in a deck I really like the look of one day" when I want to do things like drop $125 on spirits.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I can confirm that mardu pyromancer is much, much more difficult to play than Jund. I miss my Bobs, though :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Star Man posted:

This took a couple of years, but I've got a playset of every fetchland and shockland now.

This I can respect, I'm working on the same thing myself!

I have my fetches minus one Polluted Delta (though I can borrow the expo from my cube). I'm working on the shocks now. I probably would have finished it by now, but I've been doing nothing but cube foils for about 8 months.

I'm also working on the fastlands and manlands. I have the stuff from SOI and Kaladesh, but as you said somewhere else, the price son stuff like Blackcleave Cliffs are bullshit.

I did just finish a second Modern deck though! It's mono black, I really just wanted to play Phyrexian Obliterator and have fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Lol.

The expensive cards I have sold off thinking I am some kind of galaxy brain include a playset of Cavern of Souls at like $145, so at this point I just kind of assume all my modern stuff will slowly go up over time, even if some pieces get reprinted.

But yeah, I wish I was better with my disposable income so that I didn't feel like "but why get rid of these Scalding Tarns, they might be in a deck I really like the look of one day" when I want to do things like drop $125 on spirits.

It's not even an act of "oh I don't want to part with this stuff I'm not using, I might need it someday". It's more "hey this deck looks cool, I want to build it" -> "I built the deck, I'll play it eventually" ->six months later "Oh this other new deck looks cool, I'll scrap this old one that I never actually played/only played once". I go through this cycle at least once a year, usually twice a year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

It's not even an act of "oh I don't want to part with this stuff I'm not using, I might need it someday". It's more "hey this deck looks cool, I want to build it" -> "I built the deck, I'll play it eventually" ->six months later "Oh this other new deck looks cool, I'll scrap this old one that I never actually played/only played once". I go through this cycle at least once a year, usually twice a year.

Oh yeah, I never stick with any one deck very long. For how little I play, it's a major issue.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't ever play and I only build bad joke decks and one time that joke deck turned out to maybe be real.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm at the point where I'm considering building high tide because "all" I need are candles. So, at least y'all aren't me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I just kept buying stuff every time I wanted to try a new deck and never got rid of anything. Now I can build just about any modern deck I want and I really need to inventory my collection for insurance purposes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Oh yeah, I never stick with any one deck very long. For how little I play, it's a major issue.

This is the killer for me. If I could actually muster up the energy to go to FNM more than once a month I might get attached enough to a given deck where I could suppress my deckbuilding OCD. Then I could actually get good at the deck and enjoy myself more!

It also doesn't help that the one deck that I actually did get attached to and got good at piloting (Mill) is bad.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The March Hare posted:

I'm at the point where I'm considering building high tide because "all" I need are candles. So, at least y'all aren't me.

If it makes you feel better, the proper build right now (or at least the one being championed by someone who's prolific with it on MTGO) doesn't play candlesticks. I don't know if this is the guy, but this is the list: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19642&d=325990&f=LE

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

my friend, have you heard the good news about UR Storm?
I see people say stuff like "oh, he fetched up this pile with Gifts and now he can't lose from here" and I have no idea what they mean.

Elyv posted:

Tell me more about playing Faithless properly. It's a good learning experience for me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Smgdh @ not playing Reset :colbert:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

*nods sagely*

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grifter posted:

I see people say stuff like "oh, he fetched up this pile with Gifts and now he can't lose from here" and I have no idea what they mean.

Tell me more about playing Faithless properly. It's a good learning experience for me.

There aren’t really any great heuristics for it, it’s very, very, very situation-dependent. The only one I follow is avoiding playing it turn 1, without knowing what I’m up against. In a lot of midrange decks, the trick is lining up answers with threats, which faithless looting is great at. However, you need to know what threats you’ll face before you start evaluating your answers. Also, discarding lingering souls is good, sometimes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

This is the killer for me. If I could actually muster up the energy to go to FNM more than once a month I might get attached enough to a given deck where I could suppress my deckbuilding OCD. Then I could actually get good at the deck and enjoy myself more!

It also doesn't help that the one deck that I actually did get attached to and got good at piloting (Mill) is bad.

I'm trying to actually get to a store once a week for modern, but then I do and the time cost for enjoyment is so bad. I really should just be buying into magic online if I want to play modern more.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I really should just be buying into magic online

What's the opposite of an evergreen post?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

I just don't like paying to play since I don't give a poo poo about prizes. I have four completed modern decks (and could probably put together another two) that I haven't touched in months because the only time people get together to play modern is for FNM or a PPTQ. And my LGS offers free commander play, so I always end up just doing that instead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

I'm trying to actually get to a store once a week for modern, but then I do and the time cost for enjoyment is so bad. I really should just be buying into magic online if I want to play modern more.

Same, the store across town does Modern FNM each week but it's 30+ minutes to get there by foot/subway but also just close enough that I don't want to drive there. The store closer to me is awesome but only does Modern every third week (rotates FNM with that, Pauper and Draft+proxy Legacy). If/when I get a better bike I'll probably go to the farther store more often.

I would buy into Modern on MTGO in a heartbeat if I hadn't heard so many goons complain about that program over the years. Also the thought of rebuying all the cards I have, but as even more worthless versions of themselves.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

I already own and sometimes play solidarity, its the best deck in all of magic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This I can respect, I'm working on the same thing myself!

I have my fetches minus one Polluted Delta (though I can borrow the expo from my cube). I'm working on the shocks now. I probably would have finished it by now, but I've been doing nothing but cube foils for about 8 months.

I'm also working on the fastlands and manlands. I have the stuff from SOI and Kaladesh, but as you said somewhere else, the price son stuff like Blackcleave Cliffs are bullshit.

It takes a while to build all of that up. I took advantage of sales on Channel Fireball and eBay when they came and try to shop as best as I can for the best price and banking store credit and dumping it on expensive crap like Liliana of the Veil (which is how Inpaid for mine). Reprints help a lot when they come around and it made getting a set of FUT Horizon Canopies a lot easier when Iconic Masters was close to releasing. I only pre-ordered one set of cards from MM3, but they were Scalding Tarns because $40 a hit was the lowest they were going to ever get. My Polluted Deltas (and two Tarmogoyfs and some other things) were paid for by trading in an Invocation Force of Will I pulled at an Amonkhet prerelease. I targeted cards for decks I was the most interested in building and then filled in the slots for the rest over time. Celestial Colonnade and Blackcleave Cliffs are going to suck paying for, but then all that's left is Creeping Tarpit, Raging Ravine, and Darkslick Shores and that will finish off two more mega cycles. Filter lands are pricey too, but it helps that the Eventide group got reprinted to bring that cost down.

But I enjoy collecting and I like having access to anything that I want to play. I'm getting to the point that I don't have to buy much to try another deck out if one comes up because I have so many format staples. Though I don't blame anyone that sells or trades away cards that they don't use, despite their utility in a format, for stuff they want now.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If it makes you feel better, the proper build right now (or at least the one being championed by someone who's prolific with it on MTGO) doesn't play candlesticks. I don't know if this is the guy, but this is the list: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19642&d=325990&f=LE

someone please explain to me why teferi's realm is in this list

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Same, the store across town does Modern FNM each week but it's 30+ minutes to get there by foot/subway but also just close enough that I don't want to drive there. The store closer to me is awesome but only does Modern every third week (rotates FNM with that, Pauper and Draft+proxy Legacy). If/when I get a better bike I'll probably go to the farther store more often.

I would buy into Modern on MTGO in a heartbeat if I hadn't heard so many goons complain about that program over the years. Also the thought of rebuying all the cards I have, but as even more worthless versions of themselves.

You can actually cash out way easier and for much better margins on modo at least.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mezzanon posted:

someone please explain to me why teferi's realm is in this list

Phases out Chalice of the Void or Thalia.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is Bugler in Humans as good as people are saying it is? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

Phases out Chalice of the Void or Thalia.

Or Leyline!