Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Safeword posted:

I'll consider my options. Thanks guys. :haw:

Also, this dance teacher Guillaunaux...

Hm, these Empire guys don't seem on the level.

Tbh I started on balmung for much the same reason and outside of the goon linkshell found that most interactions tended to be rather cliquish. Could be my FC there just sucked, but I’ve found the goon FC’s on excal to just flat out be friendlier, chattier and more helpful.

I say that even taking into account that I needed a break from goons after too many years of eve and assuming goon guilds would be abrasive at all times for ~reasons~. The FC members by and large are pleasant.

PBC is good FC even if someone keeps using reduced rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think it helps that XIV lacks almost any adversarial interactions between players beyond the most barebone basics.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Argas posted:

I think it helps that XIV lacks almost any adversarial interactions between players beyond the most barebone basics.

The real PvP is the undercutting wars on the market board.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Argas, hold onto that fact, cradle it close, and never, ever, ever join the novice network.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Note that if you live in EU, I'd highly recommend the Eu servers, since the NA servers are all the way on the west coast nowadays and lagg can become a severe issue for how you will be able to enjoy the game in a lot of the later content, and some classes can be more or less unplayable with high ping.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Been fortunate with ping so far, but that's probably due to the game being very forgiving at this point, more than anything else.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Argas, hold onto that fact, cradle it close, and never, ever, ever join the novice network.

That's what I mean by bare bones. It's just that in the absence of camping spaceships or provoking a rival martial artist into a fight and then arresting them so you can win the tournament unopposed, goons can sometimes be less toxic.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was on US servers until SB, and while they were on east coast it was normally playable, but on west coast I'd semi-regularly get lags and needed a vpn to play reliably sometimes for days at a time so I moved.

The lower ping in general helps a little bit, too, but it's not that big a difference. I can finally stun the doom in qarn now tho. :v:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Thundarr posted:

Is it wrong that I was most disappointed in the CUL quests from Stormblood since they're such a step down in intensity from the ARR and HW quests?

I actually really liked it, I thought your quest buddy was an endearing doofus and it was cool going on a mini road trip with him where he is the adventurer muscle and you're just tagging along to learn about the history of stew. I guess I just really like it when your quest buddies are holding their own.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

Been fortunate with ping so far, but that's probably due to the game being very forgiving at this point, more than anything else.

That's sort of the issue, having high ping impact gameplay won't become apparent until later in the game (around lvl34-35 for many people without going into spoilers), and low level classes doesn't have enough combat speed or OGCD to feel it while fighting.
Dying repeatedly to mechanics that you clearly dodged on your end and getting very frustrated to the point of wanting to quit is a fate I do not wish on anyone in this game(that was me when they moved NA servers to west coast).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Got the dodo at the same time I got my first clear. :toot:

Safeword posted:

Also, this dance teacher Guillaunaux...

Yeah, enjoy him, because he never shows up again. :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 28, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They love to dump some random dude you haven't seen since 2.x on you at various points. Hold out hope goon.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If he and the miqo girl end up being job quest trainers when/if they add dancer it would be a hell of a callback.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

If he and the miqo girl end up being job quest trainers when/if they add dancer it would be a hell of a callback.

You know the Dancer trainer will actually be Beatin.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Got the dodo at the same time I got my first clear. :toot:

congrats and I should try again but :effort:. I haven't returned ever since I turned in all the grips for the HoH wep.

I wonder if dodo is still super rare even after a few weeks later.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Safeword posted:

I might just do that. :shobon:

Always deviated towards RP servers for the background chatter, but I've seen the, uh, stuff which goes on here.

Mateus is the other RP server since balmung is forever full, I'm not on it but I've heard good things from friends of mine who are.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I actually really liked it, I thought your quest buddy was an endearing doofus and it was cool going on a mini road trip with him where he is the adventurer muscle and you're just tagging along to learn about the history of stew. I guess I just really like it when your quest buddies are holding their own.

as someone who's been learning japanese on and off, seeing stuff like "onigiri roughly translates into honorably squeeze" and "dashi means exit juice" is some next level joke telling from koji as far as i'm concerned

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Argas posted:

never ever try to learn feast as a healer. its the only place ive experinced rage and they cant even type to you

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Rainuwastaken posted:

The whole Stormblood WVR questline made me really uncomfortable. The dancer girl was fine, but the sponsor guy.... :yikes:

Yeah that was pretty bad. I hated how predictable it was that TRADITION is the way to peace and happiness and only once the new girl realized that did she ever truly prosper.

Also Mataeus is a good server, I play there now and I enjoy it thoroughly.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Yeah that was pretty bad. I hated how predictable it was that TRADITION is the way to peace and happiness and only once the new girl realized that did she ever truly prosper.

i'll admit it's been a long time since i did that chain because wvr was my first lv 70 crafter but i don't remember that being the lesson at all

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheShadowAvatar posted:

It was less tradition and more if your job is to be an entertainer/dancer/maiko type person, maybe actually practice your poo poo instead of just buying outfits to stand out.

"This woman who's considered the top of our craft told me I was an idiot for skipping lessons. I'll show her by dressing like some Ul'dahn street performer."

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
People have been lovely in the Dungeons so far - a little bit of impatience has shone through, but they quickly twig my speed is down to inexperience rather than stupidity, and nudge me to pull larger groups. All in all its a really cute experience.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Safeword posted:

People have been lovely in the Dungeons so far - a little bit of impatience has shone through, but they quickly twig my speed is down to inexperience rather than stupidity, and nudge me to pull larger groups. All in all its a really cute experience.
I had a run of Qarn the other night which took 70 minutes due to a newb tank and healer. The tank was clearly a nerve-stapled drone but the healer was intelligent and learned some pro tips from me (swiftcast -> raise) and in the end I got to be the cool guy by popping Heartbreaker to finish off the boss just as the tank died, leaving me the SOLE SURVIVOR but we still won.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Safeword posted:

Yeah. There's definitely some assholes out there, but for whatever reason they're vanishingly rare in FFXIV compared to a lot of other MMOs, let alone competitive shooters or MOBAs or whatever. Been playing fairly regularly for a year and a half or so and I can count the number of times there's been someone really toxic in a group on one hand.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Worst argument I've seen so far is whether Scholar or Arcanist are better. I just nodded along with it. :v:

Is it worth levelling armour and weapon smithing alongside gladiator by the way, or should I just focus on the gladiator for now? The game seems fairly steady about giving me item upgrades so far, but having a bit more control over my equipment seems smart.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Safeword posted:

Worst argument I've seen so far is whether Scholar or Arcanist are better. I just nodded along with it. :v:

Is it worth levelling armour and weapon smithing alongside gladiator by the way, or should I just focus on the gladiator for now? The game seems fairly steady about giving me item upgrades so far, but having a bit more control over my equipment seems smart.

Just level your chosen combat class. If you want to mess around with crafting a bit go for it, its pretty easy to do so up to 15. But in order to make any serious gear you kinda need to level all the crafting classes up. The game is good about giving you upgrades.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 28, 2018

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Safeword posted:

Trying to level crafters as you level your combat classes is fairly pointless since you'll be getting gear from quests anyways. On that note though, if you think you'll appreciate the sword more if you craft it yourself it's not very hard to do, but you just really won't be holding on to them for very long anyways.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'll hold for now then, thanks.

Just about fought off the urge to level EVERYTHING in five level increments, at the same time...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The issue with crafting your own gear is that as crafting levels go up, the amount of crafted items from other crafting (and sometimes gathering) classes you need to make the thing you want also increases. Getting into it is a whole game unto itself and it's quite time- and gil-consuming. If you're just doing it for gear upgrades your first time though it's not really worth it, since the MSQ and the dungeons you'll run are usually pretty good at keeping you geared up.

Making a new sword, for example, will often require some crafted leather. The leather requires a leatherworker using skins and often a gathered material like alumen, which requires mining to get. Low-level materials can often be bought from vendors, but as you get into the 30s and 40s, you'll need to gather them yourself or buy them from players on the market board. Gathering the materials yourself can often send you to far off ends of the game world because the metal you need is in one zone, but the stone you need to craft whetstones is in a completely different zone.

That having been said, don't hesitate to stop and smell the roses. The crafting game is fun, the classes have cute storylines and it is satisfying to make an HQ version of an item you really want. All we're saying is that it's a common idea to level up a crafting class to make gear alongside your main, but unless you're crafting constantly, your main will quickly outpace the gear you're able to make.

As you get further along in the story, you'll unlock a set of daily quests that are specifically for crafting classes, which will help you level them up. It's great if you decide to try out a new job because then you can make new gear for it, since you're not getting story quest rewards anymore.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

Crafting your own gear as you go is beautiful in theory but it's not doable in practice unless you're willing to spend a really large amount of time grinding for stuff the moment you notice you're gil gated to buy the crafted materials from other jobs so now you need to farm raw materials for job 1 crafted mat then the raw mats that go along with the original crafted mats for job 2.

I've seen quite a few new players going "yeah sure others might not have been patient enough but >I< will do it" and giving up around level 30 at most.

The smartest thing you can do is not worry about it for now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thundarr posted:

Is it wrong that I was most disappointed in the CUL quests from Stormblood since they're such a step down in intensity from the ARR and HW quests?

I loved them except for the fact that at the end they didn't just cut her fuckass dad out entirely after proving him wrong, gently caress that racist rear end in a top hat.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
You gain 3008200 marauder experience points.
You attain level 70!
You earn the achievement “An Axe to Grind VII”!
You earn the achievement “Mastering War III”!
You earn the achievement “A Life of Adventure III”!

And with that, I have no reason to ever touch a combat job that isn't SMN or SCH ever again! At least until 5.0. :toot:

...time to do a bunch of WAR/MNK/BLM/crafter job quests I've been putting off. Like, the Stormblood quest lines for the first two, a couple of BLM ones that I kinda forgot about, and uh, dozens of crafting ones. :negative:

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/92eqrb/small_note_to_all_aggressive_tanks_from_a_healer/

Good to see someone else enjoys healing as much as I do.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 28, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

dozens of crafting ones. :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
We haven't done it in a while and it's on my WT, too~~~~

m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s

Let's do some maps tonight, folks. I have a handful of them ready to to explore the LOST and hidden CANALS of your mom. Get some mendacity tokens, get some gil, get some fat loot SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY night! Probably start gathering around 8 or 9pm EDT.

https://i.imgur.com/YI6rdwD.mp4

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Phone posted:

We haven't done it in a while and it's on my WT, too~~~~

m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s m a p s

Let's do some maps tonight, folks. I have a handful of them ready to to explore the LOST and hidden CANALS of your mom. Get some mendacity tokens, get some gil, get some fat loot SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY night! Probably start gathering around 8 or 9pm EDT.

gently caress, I'm going to be on set all day today or else I would be totally down for hours of maps.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Send help. The Ifrit fight awaits but I'm swinging a toy bloody hammer at Moogles in the Golden Saucer.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Elentor posted:

Crafting your own gear as you go is beautiful in theory but it's not doable in practice unless you're willing to spend a really large amount of time grinding for stuff the moment you notice you're gil gated to buy the crafted materials from other jobs so now you need to farm raw materials for job 1 crafted mat then the raw mats that go along with the original crafted mats for job 2.

I've seen quite a few new players going "yeah sure others might not have been patient enough but >I< will do it" and giving up around level 30 at most.

The smartest thing you can do is not worry about it for now.

I levelled up my own gatherers and crafters to provide my own gear from 1-50, and with the exception of Aetherial gear, everything I wore as I went through the MSQ the first time was HQ stuff that I made myself.

It was not really worth it. If you want to level up crafters to supply your secondary classes after you've beaten the MSQ, go buck, but just take what the game gives you the first time through, because gently caress it, it's good enough.

But if it's what you really want to do, hey, follow your bliss. v:v:v

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MechaCrash posted:

I levelled up my own gatherers and crafters to provide my own gear from 1-50, and with the exception of Aetherial gear, everything I wore as I went through the MSQ the first time was HQ stuff that I made myself.

It was not really worth it. If you want to level up crafters to supply your secondary classes after you've beaten the MSQ, go buck, but just take what the game gives you the first time through, because gently caress it, it's good enough.

But if it's what you really want to do, hey, follow your bliss. v:v:v

Also, there are vendors in the main cities that will sell you basic gear from level 1-60. You literally never need better than NQ vendor gear while doing MSQ.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Safeword posted:

Send help. The Ifrit fight awaits but I'm swinging a toy bloody hammer at Moogles in the Golden Saucer.

We understand, the call for the bunny chief outfit is strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
phew, the Seventh Astral Era Quests takes time... Finally Heavensward :toot: