Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's because it's on the reserved list and whoever made that lost probably owns 100 copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lmao time spirals are Eighty United States Dollars now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

There's a reason I built Solidarity and not its slightly less unplayable cousin. Everything I had to buy for that deck cost less than one Time Spiral. And that's including the $40 I spent on a set of Russian foil promo Opts.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sooo who wants to buy mine & the rest of high tide poo poo

also selling legacy dredge~~

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Star Man posted:

It takes a while to build all of that up. I took advantage of sales on Channel Fireball and eBay when they came and try to shop as best as I can for the best price and banking store credit and dumping it on expensive crap like Liliana of the Veil (which is how Inpaid for mine). Reprints help a lot when they come around and it made getting a set of FUT Horizon Canopies a lot easier when Iconic Masters was close to releasing. I only pre-ordered one set of cards from MM3, but they were Scalding Tarns because $40 a hit was the lowest they were going to ever get. My Polluted Deltas (and two Tarmogoyfs and some other things) were paid for by trading in an Invocation Force of Will I pulled at an Amonkhet prerelease. I targeted cards for decks I was the most interested in building and then filled in the slots for the rest over time. Celestial Colonnade and Blackcleave Cliffs are going to suck paying for, but then all that's left is Creeping Tarpit, Raging Ravine, and Darkslick Shores and that will finish off two more mega cycles. Filter lands are pricey too, but it helps that the Eventide group got reprinted to bring that cost down.

But I enjoy collecting and I like having access to anything that I want to play. I'm getting to the point that I don't have to buy much to try another deck out if one comes up because I have so many format staples. Though I don't blame anyone that sells or trades away cards that they don't use, despite their utility in a format, for stuff they want now.

The problem is my addiction to shiny things :smith:

I've been just getting all of the original printings, but have been slowly building up sets of expeditions.

Still, it can't take nearly as long as foiling out a cube did It took six years :negative:

But I do it for the exact reasons you say. I love the collecting aspect, and I love that i just have the manabase for ANY deck, which is usually the most expensive part. I keep a separate lands binder with me and after events take the lands out and put them in it. Then no matter which deck I play at any given event, I know exactly where the lands for it are. Too many times when I used to just move directly from deck to deck I would show up and go, "gently caress my Windswept Heaths are in that other deck I left at home...."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bant Spirits update: 1-0 after beating Eldrazi Hatebears in 3. Stacking triggers is hard!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Grifter posted:

I'm thinking about getting into Modern. What's a good deck for a starter? I have access to all the staples, I'm looking for a rec on a deck that will be reasonably simple to play and will help me learn the format.

Ponza

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Speaking as someone who played some Ponza, I can't recommend the deck. You play every game mostly the same (hope you draw your curve, play your curve, hope it wins), you suffer from the typical R/G ramp problems of needing to draw the correct blend of ramp and payoff cards to function while having no filtering, and there aren't very many meaningful decisions for you to make during a game - even when you suspect you know what your opponent wants to do, your deck doesn't exactly have the tools to play around anything.

It's also not a particularly good deck - a functional draw from you will probably poo poo on Tron or whatever, but lots of other decks can play through some amount of land disruption and even in the matchups that should be good a single Thoughtsieze can completely ruin your curve and stop you from making your relevant plays on time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Voyager I posted:

Speaking as someone who played some Ponza, I can't recommend the deck. You play every game mostly the same (hope you draw your curve, play your curve, hope it wins), you suffer from the typical R/G ramp problems of needing to draw the correct blend of ramp and payoff cards to function while having no filtering, and there aren't very many meaningful decisions for you to make during a game - even when you suspect you know what your opponent wants to do, your deck doesn't exactly have the tools to play around anything.

It's also not a particularly good deck - a functional draw from you will probably poo poo on Tron or whatever, but lots of other decks can play through some amount of land disruption and even in the matchups that should be good a single Thoughtsieze can completely ruin your curve and stop you from making your relevant plays on time.

Simple to play, learn the format. Also Tracker can get you drawing like mad.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hauki posted:

sooo who wants to buy mine & the rest of high tide poo poo

also selling legacy dredge~~

I will buy your high tide deck for twenty dollars

also i sold my LEDs at GP Seattle each for double what I paid for the playset when I got them, lmao

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
1-2 at FNM with Bant Spirits. Beat Eldrazi Taxes in 3, lost to Skred with 2 bad flood-outs, then lost to Hollow One in 3. Spent the whole time slightly tilted as it's been a long sleepless week, but tired or not I need to learn to not rush so many decisions. I spent a lot of that Skred match in particular running out single spirits in spot removal without any way to protect them. Also I'm definitely trying 21 lands next time, I feel like I ended up with eight or nine lands in play after every game and I had a couple of bad CoCo whiffs.

What do suggest bringing in against Hollow One? Brought in Remorseful Cleric, Worship, Pridemage, Settle the Wreckage and Eidolon which all seem partially useful at best.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 28, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

1-2 at FNM with Bant Spirits. Beat Eldrazi Taxes in 3, lost to Skred with 2 bad flood-outs, then lost to Hollow One in 3. Spent the whole time slightly tilted as it's been a long sleepless week, but tired or not I need to learn to not rush so many decisions. I spent a lot of that Skred match in particular running out single spirits in spot removal without any way to protect them. Also I'm definitely trying 21 lands next time, I feel like I ended up with eight or nine lands in play after every game and I had a couple of bad CoCo whiffs.

What do suggest bringing in against Hollow One? Brought in Remorseful Cleric, Worship, Pridemage, Settle the Wreckage and Eidolon which all seem partially useful at best.

Eidolon seems really glacially slow and bad, the others are ok except Worship which is pretty phenomenal.

If you stick Worship their only out is to CoBru you. Spirits tends not to have the incidental life gain of other Bant Company decks but you have a better ability to delay their spells and ensure CoBru never goes off.

They run 2-3 outs in their 75 to Worship at most, exploit the hell out of it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Rest in peace is a big one for Hollow one, yes the deck is far more resilient against it than its dredge cousins but it still shuts down all of their recursive threats and allows you to focus on the hollow ones and adepts.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I will buy your high tide deck for twenty dollars

also i sold my LEDs at GP Seattle each for double what I paid for the playset when I got them, lmao

I sold my UNL Trop, Volc, and Taiga that I paid like $500 total at Pitt this year for $1200. This game is stupid.

I made an absurd profit off of my cube in general. I ended up with over $10k so far and I still have a decent number od inventions in commander decks and I think a few foil OG shocks still. This game is so stupid.

C-Euro posted:

I like all these things except Eidolon. Your best bet is playing an Eidolon on turn 2 which isn't extremely likely and half the time is too late anyway.

I haven't played it recently but I cut Images and Geists for RiPs, Settle, Pridemages, and Worship. It's one of the very few matchups where I went below 27 creatures.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 28, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I sold my UNL Trop, Volc, and Taiga that I paid like $500 total at Pitt this year for $1200. This game is stupid.

I made an absurd profit off of my cube in general. I ended up with over $10k so far and I still have a decent number od inventions in commander decks and I think a few foil OG shocks still. This game is so stupid.

I like all these things except Eidolon. Your best bet is playing an Eidolon on turn 2 which isn't extremely likely and half the time is too late anyway.

I haven't played it recently but I cut Images and Geists for RiPs, Settle, Pridemages, and Worship. It's one of the very few matchups where I went below 27 creatures.

Eidolon was an overreaction addition after I lost game 2 to a turn 2 Goblin Lore -> 0 mana Hollow One with Bloodghast backup. It was my first time playing the match so I gotta practice it more, though I did get to Settle a Phoenix and two Bloodghast which was loving rad. I was very happy to have 4 Paths mainboard for that match as well.

Also this is more of a main thread topic but I got all three of my opponents to agree to "roll 2d6, call odds or evens" to decide turn order, and I rolled snake eyes in the two matches that I lost. Sounds like an omen now that I look back on it :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 28, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I switched to asking for odds/evens and literally everyone has looked at my funny.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Eidolon was an overreaction addition after I lost game 2 to a turn 2 Goblin Lore -> 0 mana Hollow One with Bloodghast backup. It was my first time playing the match so I gotta practice it more, though I did get to Settle a Phoenix and two Bloodghast which was loving rad. I was very happy to have 4 Paths mainboard for that match as well.

Also this is more of a main thread topic but I got all three of my opponents to agree to "roll 2d6, call odds or evens" to decide turn order, and I rolled snake eyes in the two matches that I lost. Sounds like an omen now that I look back on it :v:

2d6has more evens than odds just fyi. 1d6 is good for odds/evens.

Also everyone join me on 21land, greed is good.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Your chance of rolling an odd or an even number on 2d6 is the same. You can't just say 2 - 12 is 6 even numbers and 5 odd numbers so even is more likely. You have 36 possibilities when you roll two dice. Some numbers are more likely to be rolled, for example a 7 has 6 out of 36 possibilities while a 2 has only 1 out of 36. If you count up the odd results on the chart below you'll find there are 18 just the same as the even results.

Die 1 Die 2 Result
1 1 2
1 2 3
2 1 3
1 3 4
2 2 4
3 1 4
1 4 5
2 3 5
3 2 5
4 1 5
1 5 6
2 4 6
3 3 6
4 2 6
5 1 6
1 6 7
2 5 7
3 4 7
4 3 7
5 2 7
6 1 7
2 6 8
3 5 8
4 4 8
5 3 8
6 2 8
3 6 9
4 5 9
5 4 9
6 3 9
4 6 10
5 5 10
6 4 10
5 6 11
6 5 11
6 6 12

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mezzanon posted:

What do you think the odds are of rolling even vs. odd on 2d6?

Does your answer change if you first roll one die and look at it (let's suppose it's a 4) before rolling the second one?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Huh, maybe that's why everyone called odds last night (still rolled even all three matches though :cool:)

And yeah I'm going to give 21 lands a shot, I just don't know what to put there since I have 4 of everything except for the 2 Geists (which I'm still on the fence about and ended up boarding out every match). I've seen a lot of lists online with a singleton Birds of Paradise but cutting a land for a mana dork seems...well, at least I can hit it off of CoCo?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

Huh, maybe that's why everyone called odds last night (still rolled even all three matches though :cool:)
Don’t listen to them. Any number of fair even-sided dice will give an equal even/odd distribution—it’s the parity function. (even+even=even, even+odd=odd, odd+even=odd, odd+odd=even)

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 28, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

C-Euro posted:

And yeah I'm going to give 21 lands a shot, I just don't know what to put there since I have 4 of everything except for the 2 Geists (which I'm still on the fence about and ended up boarding out every match). I've seen a lot of lists online with a singleton Birds of Paradise but cutting a land for a mana dork seems...well, at least I can hit it off of CoCo?

You cut lands for mana dorks because the dork lets you cast stuff a turn early and the extra land doesn't. I still don't run the bird though, just because it's too close to being a blank card other than that - at least Hierarch throws a little weight in your first couple of combat steps.

Singleton Kira is still pretty good in the deck, and Nebelgast Herald might not actually be the worst thing in the world.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I wonder if you can pare Humans down to just a Bant deck and get some more effective grindy cards like Militia Bugler, maybe one or two Eternal Witness, and maybe even Knight of the Reliquary. Sorta like the medium GW Company deck, but with a much stronger beatdown plan.

Here's a brief, very mediocre sketch.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 28, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

I wonder if you can pare Humans down to just a Bant deck and get some more effective grindy cards like Militia Bugler, maybe one or two Eternal Witness, and maybe even Knight of the Reliquary. Sorta like the medium GW Company deck, but with a much stronger beatdown plan.

Here's a brief, very mediocre sketch.

In what way do you think it makes it stronger?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ShaneB posted:

In what way do you think it makes it stronger?

You're much stronger against fair strategies and have the option of boarding into permission and white enchantment hate. I imagine that this variant of Humans would be able to go toe to toe with any other deck in the format when it comes to grinding card advantage, between the Buglers and the Companies, and maintains the explosive Humans draws. Knight of the Reliquary might be a little too cute, but I think that a Company variant of Humans with access to Stony Silence/Rest in Peace through the sideboard could certainly be very good in the right meta.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't know if I like the look of cutting all your flyers, and you're giving up a lot of your disruptive elements as well. You've got a pretty good value engine going but there's a lot of angles your deck just doesn't cover.

Knight is a good card with the word Human on it but I don't know that this deck really needs four of them (or any).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

You're much stronger against fair strategies and have the option of boarding into permission and white enchantment hate. I imagine that this variant of Humans would be able to go toe to toe with any other deck in the format when it comes to grinding card advantage, between the Buglers and the Companies, and maintains the explosive Humans draws. Knight of the Reliquary might be a little too cute, but I think that a Company variant of Humans with access to Stony Silence/Rest in Peace through the sideboard could certainly be very good in the right meta.

I think you're underestimating exactly how much weight Freebooter and Mantis Rider pull in that deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

What do you think the odds are of rolling even vs. odd on 2d6?

Does your answer change if you first roll one die and look at it (let's suppose it's a 4) before rolling the second one?

lol

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Oh look turns out I was wrong lol

Edit: but I am still correct on the 21 land 4 hierarch plan for spirits

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I finally ordered the last piece to my terrible mono-black infect deck.

https://deckstats.net/deck-16573103-d0b27c0e47d04cb715e149541e115beb.html

My only worry is how easily my Plague Stinger is going to be stopped.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
U/W spirits is 10-1 at the Open. Curious to see the list and if it can close out.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I finally ordered the last piece to my terrible mono-black infect deck.

https://deckstats.net/deck-16573103-d0b27c0e47d04cb715e149541e115beb.html

My only worry is how easily my Plague Stinger is going to be stopped.

I don't think Runechanter's Pike is a great choice here. You run a fair number of spells, but you don't run any cantrips to draw into more, and you a planning to close the game out quickly, so it seems like something more mana efficient like bonesplitter or maybe adventuring gear would be better. Or since evidently 6 fetches aren't out of you budget for a mono color deck you could run B/G and have access to rancor, plus glistener elf over expensive stuff like Skytherix. I honestly think a tuned B/G infect deck could be decent in modern.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

U/W spirits is 10-1 at the Open. Curious to see the list and if it can close out.

I top 8'd a pptq with bant spirits yesterday, and a guy on U/W vial spirits also top 8'd with me.

Tournament report from pptq today where I top 8’d

R1 vs u/w miracles
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1 I go T1 botanical into hierarch and my opponent goes “am I going to get infected out?” I of course say yes and then flash in a rattlechains which tips the hand that I am on spirits I keep a wanderer with supreme in hand as well. Timely selfless spirits help me keep a decent clock

SB out 4 path in 2 eidolon 2 rip

G2 is long and my opponent has los of card advantage after I mull to 6. Opponent lands jace and teferi after terminus’ing me and I scoop it up so we have time. Opponent has his own spell queller a because he’s a spicy boy.

- G3 I go T1 hierarch into T2 eidolon of rhetoric. Rattlechains the eventual path. Flash in captain for the second path, have a Geist cryptic commanded which bounces the captain (misplay on my part I think) then my opponent taps out for a teferi and I coco at end step putting in a kira and a drogskol captain. Let my opponent resolve a cryptic (even though I have queller in hand so that I don’t get supreme verdicted. Opponent casts a serum visions that I spell quell and then I spell quell his second cryptic with my second queller so I can swing for lethal.

R2 vs u/w miracles
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1 I keep 7 and play all flash threats vs my opponents 1 for 1 and I specifically don’t get blown out against terminus

G2 opponent out values me and clique beats me

G3 I STOLE THIS ONE FOLKS. Log back and forth of me reducing my opponents life total with main phase collected companies while my opponent is tapped out. He minuses teferi targeting my rattlechains and then he board wipes but is

R3 vs g/w value town
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1 I draw all four collected companies while stuck on 3 mana and my opponent plays excavator followed by ghost quarter with 2x knight of the reliquary. Lose

In: worship, 2 rip, settle the wreckage

G2 I make a bad play, which also makes my opponent make a bad play. I swing for what I think is lethal (it’s not) and my opponent (with a courser or and a worship on top of the deck) blocks and uses knight to shuffle the worship. Then next turn I have lethal.

Out: 1 rip, in 1 qasali pride mage

G3 opponent plays a sigarda but I have a 6/5 selfless spirit so I chunk in for damage while holding up coco’s for end step. Opponent has to block eventually and makes his knights huge and he runs right into settle the wreckage.

R4 vs mono red rabbleprison
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1 opponent plays back to back rabblemasters into blood moon which eventually beats me down as I have only a blue up.

G2 I go hierarch into selfless spirit + hierarch into kira. My opponent drops a bridge when the shields are down but I reduce his life total while he tries to cast all the cards in his hand.

G3 double hierarch from me, blood moon from my opponent. I draw a basic island and play selfless, supreme, and mausoleum wanderer. Then a second selfless spirit and kira shores it up. I let my opponent resolve a chainwhirler so I can just swing for lethal.

R5 vs jund classic (get paired down so no double draw)
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1 I play the tempo game and ruin my opponents removal and 7 damage per turn in the air is good

G2 opponent gets two big goyfs and I get no removal

G3 I make two huge punts in this game because I think I’m winning the race. I flash in a lord into anger like a dingus instead of flashing in selfless spirit. And I forget to attack Liliana of the veil and she ultimates. I am tired.

R6 vs draw into top 8
1-1-1

Top 8

Vs grixis I’m lower seed
Lose 0-2

- Opponent has unlimited removal and discard along with recursion for two games. I get close game two, but what can you do.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What's Boohooglands UR Wizard list?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Mezzanon, how do you feel about Ceremonious Rejection in the Bant Spirits sideboard?

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/bant_spirits_with_kat_light.html

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It can buy you an extra turn against Tron while still letting you develop your board more easily than if you were holding up a two mana counterspell like Unified Will and is still a silver bullet against cards you normally can't beat (Ugin, Unified Will). It's also very good against Eldrazi decks, since they run lots of colorless threats that are much better dealt with before they hit the board, but those aren't particularly in vogue right now. It could also slow KCI down for a turn or two if you can catch an expensive combo piece with it, and there are some other fringe hits like Ensnaring Bridge decks that you might consider bringing it in against.

It's a bit specific in what it does, but it does that job very well. If you're expecting to play against a lot of decks where it would be relevant in your area, it'd be a worthy inclusion.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Voyager I posted:

It can buy you an extra turn against Tron while still letting you develop your board more easily than if you were holding up a two mana counterspell like Unified Will and is still a silver bullet against cards you normally can't beat (Ugin, Unified Will). It's also very good against Eldrazi decks, since they run lots of colorless threats that are much better dealt with before they hit the board, but those aren't particularly in vogue right now. It could also slow KCI down for a turn or two if you can catch an expensive combo piece with it, and there are some other fringe hits like Ensnaring Bridge decks that you might consider bringing it in against.

It's a bit specific in what it does, but it does that job very well. If you're expecting to play against a lot of decks where it would be relevant in your area, it'd be a worthy inclusion.

Yeah, and she says you get to be more mana efficient doing it. I wonder if Negate would still be a little better just because it has such a wider application, but denying an Eldrazi is pretty good too.

I asked Kat Light on Twitter why she prefers Rest in Peace over Remorseful Cleric:

https://twitter.com/HellKatMTG/status/1023665006431404032

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Humans was 6/16 at the SCG open, converting from 13 players on day 2. Militia Bugler might have pushed Humans from t1 territory to t0 territory. It's going to take some time before anybody can figure out what to do in order to beat them; you can't grind them out because of Bugler, you can't combo them out because of all their creatures, and you can't out aggro them because they're the best aggro deck in the format. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do against them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to try it but I'm not at all convinced that the deck wants Tormod's Ghost over RiP. They kinda do extremely different things against extremely different decks and the decks RiP is good against are the much more popular decks right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have everything I need for Bant Spirits. Is the consensus saying 4 dorks and no Geist main deck. With only 4 dorks is the flex slot favoring Kira?