Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Azhais posted:

Why would you repair a drop pod, just join random games infinitely. couple mil later 48 backpack slots and full tech slots

won't this teleport you all over the universe or do you go back to where you started when you pop open SP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Libluini posted:

I've been attacked by Sentinels a couple times and this is just not true, at least not for the passive ones. If you run away from them, a timer appears and counts down. When it reaches zero, the Sentinel loses interest and calms down.

They're also kind of dumb, if they notice you mining, they at first just fly into your face and scan you with their weird light show. You just have do nothing, or slowly back away, and they won't attack. Then as soon as they move on, you can go back to mining. Just don't just ignore them and mine while they're right there angrily scanning you. :v:

That is exactly what I said - you have to go and hide. The space ones are the ones you can't hide from so don't leave atmosphere before clearing yourself. But the point is hiding is your only option - you should be able to fight your way out too if you want. And still, passive sentinels should not behave completely identical to normal sentinels. That's the issue.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Verviticus posted:

won't this teleport you all over the universe or do you go back to where you started when you pop open SP

You return to whatever you saved last in single player, but you keep any upgrades or inventory items you got while in someone else's game.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

This may have been asked before, but: Found a new ship on planet, got it flight ready.

So how the hell do I get 2 ships back to my freighter? I can't summon the old ship to the flight deck or anything.

I just assumed I'd be allowed to recall it once I got to the freighter.

edit: damnit, skimming the thread.
Did I gently caress this up by repairing it? Apparently unrepaired ones just get flung into the freighter automatically once you claim them?

SubNat fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 28, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SubNat posted:

This may have been asked before, but: Found a new ship on planet, got it flight ready.

So how the hell do I get 2 ships back to my freighter? I can't summon the old ship to the flight deck or anything.

I just assumed I'd be allowed to recall it once I got to the freighter.

edit: damnit, skimming the thread.
Did I gently caress this up by repairing it? Apparently unrepaired ones just get flung into the freighter automatically once you claim them?

Warp your freighter and your ships should (probably) appear on it. Sometimes reloading your game will do it too. It's all very buggy. You always seem to have the option to switch ships by summoning them from a planet as long as they have launch fuel in them though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Warp your freighter and your ships should (probably) appear on it. Sometimes reloading your game will do it too. It's all very buggy. You always seem to have the option to switch ships by summoning them from a planet as long as they have launch fuel in them though.

I'll try warping then, thanks.
Whenever I tried to summon it I just got a message that the ship couldn't land there.

e: yup, warping dropped the ship into the hold.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 28, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I can't seem to repair some of my frigates. When I land on them, the temp quest to repair pops up, but the amount of broken parts comes up as "0", and I don't get any quest markers.

Man, even if the game is better now than it was, the sheer amount of bugs is staggering.

Edit: Oh, and also don't bother gathering Glyphs, seems you can't get any more than the first one for now.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SubNat posted:

I'll try warping then, thanks.
Whenever I tried to summon it I just got a message that the ship couldn't land there.

Yeah it's irritating and dumb. But like I said, just summon them on a planet if you have to.

Broken Cog posted:

I can't seem to repair some of my frigates. When I land on them, the temp quest to repair pops up, but the amount of broken parts comes up as "0", and I don't get any quest markers.

Man, even if the game is better now than it was, the sheer amount of bugs is staggering.

Edit: Oh, and also don't bother gathering Glyphs, seems you can't get any more than the first one for now.

I've had that frigate problem too, and a worse one where it spawned in the atmosphere which completely broke the game. Once it spawned in the center of a planet. The fix for broken frigate repair missions is once again to warp the freighter.

If you have the freighter bug where you can't warp the freighter, then warp your ship somewhere else and summon the stupid freighter. They really need to fix this.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Is there anything worthwhile in the red or green stars?

How or where do i find those ancient artifacts?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Burns posted:

Is there anything worthwhile in the red or green stars?
Sure? As much as anywhere else.

quote:

How or where do i find those ancient artifacts?

Get navigation data from an orange cube or something else. Put down your portable antenna thing, insert the nav data and ask for "Artifact" location. Go there and if it's an obelisk, ask for "Ancient Knowledge" and it will point you to one of those buried artifact chests.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

That is exactly what I said - you have to go and hide. The space ones are the ones you can't hide from so don't leave atmosphere before clearing yourself. But the point is hiding is your only option - you should be able to fight your way out too if you want. And still, passive sentinels should not behave completely identical to normal sentinels. That's the issue.

Well, I have to take your word for it, I actually have never met normal sentinels, only the passive ones. But as I said, if you don't want to run and hide, you can just not make them angry. The passive ones I've met at least, are passive enough to hover around while you're doing large-scale excavations, as long as you stop when they start scanning you.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

I think you're reading a bit too much into the word "passive". The wiki says:

quote:

Passive
Does not engage player regardless of any actions player done to the planet Sentinels reside on.
May become active if you continue mining near its presence or when it starts scanning.

That seems to match my experience.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

..btt posted:

I think you're reading a bit too much into the word "passive". The wiki says:

That seems to match my experience.

"Limited" however will still attack you for mining even though wiki says it won't. Since I've never shot an animal, the sentinels all seem to behave the same for me no matter what level, outside of the ones that attack you on sight.

Burns
May 10, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Sure? As much as anywhere else.

Get navigation data from an orange cube or something else. Put down your portable antenna thing, insert the nav data and ask for "Artifact" location. Go there and if it's an obelisk, ask for "Ancient Knowledge" and it will point you to one of those buried artifact chests.

Cool thanks.

Ive evaded space sentinels by docking in freighters that thankfully happened to warp in near me. Base weapons seem to do little damage to space sentinels as well.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

"Limited" however will still attack you for mining even though wiki says it won't. Since I've never shot an animal, the sentinels all seem to behave the same for me no matter what level, outside of the ones that attack you on sight.

I'm pretty sure all sentinels attack if you attack them or continue mining while they scan you. I'm not saying the wiki is 100% accurate, and it's certainly not clearly worded, just that the description of active vs passive seemed to match what I see in game.

It feels to me like there is a scale of aggression with passive at one end and frenzied at the other, but that's probably wrong too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

juggalo baby coffin posted:

here's my exotic ship. on an airless world cause I had a quest to take a photo there.

Does every exotic ship in the game have that black bubble? I don't really like it, but I think every exotic I've seen so far has it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

..btt posted:

I'm pretty sure all sentinels attack if you attack them or continue mining while they scan you. I'm not saying the wiki is 100% accurate, and it's certainly not clearly worded, just that the description of active vs passive seemed to match what I see in game.

It feels to me like there is a scale of aggression with passive at one end and frenzied at the other, but that's probably wrong too.

Maybe. I guess I just wish they didn't all feel the exact same with how many there are and how they respond to resource gathering. My complaint about "needing to run and hide" isn't that it's particularly difficult, it's that it's the only option. You have weapons on the multitool but you can never "win" a battle with them, only survive until you get bored and hide/fly away (without leaving atmosphere, of course, because there's no winning or hiding against space sentinels.) There shouldn't be only a single path to end combat. THe tooltips say you can kill the sentinels fast enough for them to not call reinforcements but that doesn't seem to be the case any more than "Limited" sentinels ignoring anything except direct attack.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Does every exotic ship in the game have that black bubble? I don't really like it, but I think every exotic I've seen so far has it.

No, I don't think so - there's also squid ones and such. You can see some here: https://www.nmseeds.club/Seeds/Search/ship/exotic/

Edit: I'm discounting the attack-on-sight sentinels from my discussion because they are obviously different (and very annoying)

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 28, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm pretty sure there's only two types of sentinels, "Passive" and "Aggressive". The game just really likes to use a million different words for the same meaning (Try scanning the same sentinel multiple times, see how all the parameters change every time)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I don't know how far you are through the various quests, but they do explicitly state why the sentinels act like they do, though not why some are passive/active.

Also, there does seem to be a bug - you used to be able to kill them before they called for help. I remember there being a visible indicator of their progress, so you could kill them instead of running away, but that's not possible anymore as far as I can tell. The game still gives you a tooltip telling you that's an option though. Also I'm pretty sure just killing everything in your vicinity would give you enough space that they'd often lose you. Now it seems you get a reinforcement timer as soon as you kill everything.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Another bug. The little puzzles at transmission towers are always the same
Abandoned bases always have the same line of dialogue.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sentinels are mildly annoying when they are guarding a locked door, but otherwise I have yet to have a real problem with them except a few times when I dig an escape tunnel and yet for some reason their countdown timer disappears.

I did run into a manufacturing facility that clearly had two of the robot dog looking sentinels guarding it (I had no wanted level or anything at the time), which is something I never saw previously. Somehow I still managed to get inside by shooting the door with my starter pea shooter and running around like an idiot while they nearly cut me in half with lasers.

Also, some people don't seem to realize that you can refine your fuel to make it more efficient and save inventory space. Turn ferrite dust into pure ferrite, and then pure ferrite into magnetized ferrite and use that to fuel your terrain manipulator. Something like 20 magnetized ferrite gives 100% power (and only costs 40 ferrite dust + carbon fuel if using the portable refinery). As an added bonus I'm pretty sure you can 'downgrade' your magnetized ferrite to pure ferrite (for the cost of more carbon fuel) if you need it for repairs or whatever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Burns posted:

Another bug. The little puzzles at transmission towers are always the same
Abandoned bases always have the same line of dialogue.

Pretty sure it's been like that since release, lol.

Or, well, the transmission tower can have one of like three different puzzles (of the same type)

Burns
May 10, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty sure it's been like that since release, lol.

Or, well, the transmission tower can have one of like three different puzzles (of the same type)

Im p sure abandonded bases used to have some kind of narrative story. Its minor anyway.

They really ought to change the animal scanning so that getting tge bonus is no so tedious by having it be a minimum number of scanned creatures. Anything found in excess should be treated as a bonus. I hate looking for that last frog or some such that rarely spawns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SoulChicken posted:

What are the go-to upgrades in the first 10 hours for ship and suit? I have shopping paralysis.

If there isn't anything specific I want to do I'd go for efficiency upgrades. Having to refuel your life support and pulse drive less often is good.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Sentinels are mildly annoying when they are guarding a locked door, but otherwise I have yet to have a real problem with them except a few times when I dig an escape tunnel and yet for some reason their countdown timer disappears.

I did one locked door where I shot the door at point-blank range but all the sentinels were on the other side of the base so they didn't have line of sight to me at that moment, they just knew something was happening in the vicinity of the door. Before they got there I ran to the edge of the area and they all went over to the door and started scanning it. I kept firing on the door from over there but it never occurred to them to look over and check where the bolts were coming from, they just stayed focused on the door the whole time. At no point did they actually aggro on me, even after I got the door fully down and walked inside.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verviticus posted:

Your single player goes back to your universe.

As for an explanation, every station you visit allows you to buy one suit upgrade. Joining a random game dumps you in space just outside a new random station. Dock, buy your slot, maybe barter with all the locals for language help, save and quit to mode select, repeat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only issue with that plan is that there does not appear to be a lot of people playing permadeath on PC because I ended joining the same dude three times in a row.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If you combine indium and chromatic metals in the heavy refiner it seems to combine both at a ratio where you end up with an infinite amount of them

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
About 7 hours into a new save.

gently caress those wailing eggs. Also, gently caress the buried tech modules that disappear as you dig near them from like 40u away, when you need them to make your upgrades.

On the flip side, digging into an enclosed cave netted me 50 platinum which helped fuel my first multi-tool upgrade.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of multi-tool upgrades the modules you can buy on the station are a little arcane in their decriptions. If I want to buy upgrades that will let my mining beam mine quicker and increase the size of the terrain re-sculptor, what stat do I need to look out for?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just found a rare outcropping that netted me 1000 uranium. Guess I’m not making launch fuel for a while.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Pierson posted:

Speaking of multi-tool upgrades the modules you can buy on the station are a little arcane in their decriptions. If I want to buy upgrades that will let my mining beam mine quicker and increase the size of the terrain re-sculptor, what stat do I need to look out for?

They cover a mix of things now instead of being separate for speed, etc. S-ranked will have a high change for like 3 things, lower ranks will have a lower change for either 3 or less things, I'm not sure and I only go with A and S. I think it's lower change for fewer things because my A scanner upgrade didn't include Flora while the S included range, flora, and fauna. I think mining upgrades are similar. I'm not sure there's one like that for the terrain thing though. You're limited to 3 upgrades for each type, and you should chain them. Some things don't count as an upgrade like the advanced mining laser. You can have one of those as well as 3 other upgrades. Stacking bonus still applies if they're touching. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/ has a lot of good info.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 28, 2018

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

shortspecialbus posted:

No, I don't think so - there's also squid ones and such. You can see some here: https://www.nmseeds.club/Seeds/Search/ship/exotic/

Edit: I'm discounting the attack-on-sight sentinels from my discussion because they are obviously different (and very annoying)

Bubble'n'squeak? Bubble'n'squid!

ahahahaha

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ShadowedFlames posted:

gently caress those wailing eggs. Also, gently caress the buried tech modules that disappear as you dig near them from like 40u away, when you need them to make your upgrades.

On the flip side, digging into an enclosed cave netted me 50 platinum which helped fuel my first multi-tool upgrade.

Those buried tech modules are actually one of the few things that never disappear when you dig. Are you sure you're not thinking of underground relics?

Retro42 posted:

Just found a rare outcropping that netted me 1000 uranium. Guess I’m not making launch fuel for a while.

Those "Metallic Fingers" or whatever they're called is the only good source for Uranium I've found in the game so far. Apparently you're supposed to find it on radioactive planets, but all I can find there is that a few minerals or flora has it as a secondary resource.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 28, 2018

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

found a planet with a bunch of these half-donut stone formations every mile or so. built a base on the platform of one of them. my postcards won't mention the near-boiling rainstorms

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Those buried tech modules are actually one of the few things that never disappear when you dig. Are you sure you're not thinking of underground relics?

Those "Metallic Fingers" or whatever they're called is the only good source for Uranium I've found in the game so far. Apparently you're supposed to find it on radioactive planets, but all I can find there is that a few minerals or flora has it as a secondary resource.

Yeah, although it only takes 10 units of uranium per launch so those secondary sources do add up really quick.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ShadowedFlames posted:

Are you sure they are tech modules and not buried relics? I haven't had an tech modules vanish beneath me, but every single buried relic has disappeared when I dig to them. The only time I see those relics is when they are sitting out near or in a cave.

So I had a bug where I found a ruin, got the keys, after much digging since half the place was completely underground, got the treasure, and got one of the two grav balls. Left, had something point me to an ancient ruin, head over, only to realize this was the one I had been to before (I noticed the digging), but the buildings were slightly different, and some of the keys had respawned. The chest was locked, so I blew three keys opening it only to learn that it was bugged and empty. They really need to add the ability to mark places you have already been. I have had multiple scans and NPCs direct me to places I have already found... and I have only played for a few hours...

There are also tons of bugs with structures spawning in general. I had one temple thing with invisible parts. My ruins keep spawning in midair. One of my crashed freighters has it's hitbox extending past where it actually is into a ravine resulting in invisible walls.

This is less a bug than an oversight, but I claimed a free crashed ship, but needed materials for repairs. I left and quickly realized there was no marker or anything for where it (and the stuff I left on the ground there) was. Can't call the ship because no thrusters. And there is no way to ping your downed ships so you can fly to them. I was told that getting a freighter will likely teleport the broken ship to onto it. I hope so.

Also the teleport module for ships kind of sucks? The range seemed to be less than 150u when I tested it.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 28, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Also the teleport module for ships kind of sucks? The range seemed to be less than 150u when I tested it.

It's so bad as to be pointless.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only thing the teleporter is good for is when you're doing one of those repair missions and you have most of your mats in your ship outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So is this actually good now?