Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ModeSix posted:

So is this actually good now?

It's much more of an actual game now. Worth 30 bux easily. But it is buggy as gently caress right now. If they fix the bugs then it would be fantastic, right now, it is more of, how patient are you in dealing with bugs that might waste massive amounts of your time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ModeSix posted:

I didn't get the game til this patch but besides the bugs I'm having a very good time.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ModeSix posted:

I dunno if I’d call it GotY or anything, but it’s soooooooo much more playable. There’s still some bugs as you can see itt, but if you had it before, worth a reinstall and a try

Survival is v difficult at the moment, if you’re trying a fresh character pick Normal mode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I guess this is new or I'm misunderstanding how ship classes/equipment bonuses apply but I traded a broken ship for an explorer class ship since I got sick of the started shuttle and this bad boy may not have anything special for it, it only uses 25% launch fuel when taking off as opposed to my starter ship's 50%. This means I can be even more liberal with my non-landing pad explorer which is cool and good. I'm guessing haulers take more fuel and fighters use 50%? Can anyone check with their ships?

Also I found this reddit post explaining the module stacking bonuses and some good layouts to maximize exosuit/multi-tool/ship upgrades
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So when I installed this on my new PC to play the new patch, I didn't realize that my old save was going to be available (cloud saving I guess?) Any downsides to loading up my old save in the new patch? I assume my old base is deleted since base building is completely different now.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I guess this is new or I'm misunderstanding how ship classes/equipment bonuses apply but I traded a broken ship for an explorer class ship since I got sick of the started shuttle and this bad boy may not have anything special for it, it only uses 25% launch fuel when taking off as opposed to my starter ship's 50%. This means I can be even more liberal with my non-landing pad explorer which is cool and good. I'm guessing haulers take more fuel and fighters use 50%? Can anyone check with their ships?

Also I found this reddit post explaining the module stacking bonuses and some good layouts to maximize exosuit/multi-tool/ship upgrades
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/

Yeah I dunno, I have one ship that takes only 13% per launch, then I got another ship that had B class thruster efficiency in the right slot and it also only does 13 per. Then I got another ship with no module and it also does 13. But my starter ship does 25 (it's a fighter I guess). The others I have no idea. I would need to look them over. Do ships have different innate stats for their base equipment? I've seen ships with no modules have +25% dmg compared to mine for example.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 28, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I'm like the one person that enjoyed this since day one, but getting back into now with the new patch has left me a bit out of sorts. My main profile is at a little over 70 hours with a bunch of stuff, but is basically unuseable because of how much has changed.

What's the best way to just get stupid rich at a fairly decent clip on my new one?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

So I'm like the one person that enjoyed this since day one, but getting back into now with the new patch has left me a bit out of sorts. My main profile is at a little over 70 hours with a bunch of stuff, but is basically unuseable because of how much has changed.

What's the best way to just get stupid rich at a fairly decent clip on my new one?

Find a way to get a hold of an S tier Scanner module. I got lucky and got one for free, and now I get 18k-50k or more per animal or plant scan. Scan every animal on a planet and upload them for big nanite bonuses. More nanites= more upgrades = easier gameplay. Look for downed freighters and dig up the cargo boxes and repair them. They can give items that can be worth up to 2 million a piece. If you build bases near them, or have a way of permanently marking them (I think this game has coords?) I have noticed that for some reason, some boxes respawn loot. I have gotten multiple super conducters from boxes at the freighter near my base. I load in, and check the boxes like mail. Look for buried tech modules, they usually seem to have nanites in them, but they can sometimes have other stuff. Look for settlements, especially the 2 long building kind. Those usually nanites, units, and navigation data chips in them. Nav data can be used in your scanner dish beacon thing to find stuff like ruins or trade outposts.

Edit: I don't know if this constitutes a spoiler, but apparently you get a free freighter pretty early on by following the bread crumb quest line you start with.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 28, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also when you visit a station, ask for direction from the aliens. If you get pointed toward an ancient ruin, visit it and ask for knowledge from the past. It’ll take you to another ruin with a treasure chest. Uncover 3 keys (use scanner to find them) and open the chest. It’ll have treasure ranging from 100k to 20 million credits. First one I found was for 12M.

You can also use navigation data to point you toward ancient ruins (use the data with a signal booster). Last, you can go to the cubicles in the space station (by the suit/ship/tool upgrade merchants) and click on the orange cubs in the desk for nanites/nav data.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

On a different strain of module talk I just picked up a freebie s-rank life support module with 27% solar power and 99% capacity. I haven’t had to fill it yet since I got it 3 hours ago.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

This guy Fuks.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

That's all good to know. Also gently caress the story, I'm a space nomad, I don't care about your lofty ambiguous space being goals. Have fuel will travel :colbert:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ruins always have the necessary keys near them. If you can't find them, they spawned underground. Look for anything poking out of the ground and excavate. Similarly, Monoliths and the like usually have 2-3 word relic things, if it looks like it spawned near a cliff, dig into the cliff to see if there is an extra word there.

Monoliths and Ruins that give the choice of knowledge or language are also interesting because if you pick language, you get a word, but also gain reputation. Rep is good because higher rep unlocks interactions with the various factions. Including buying stuff and I suppose missions and such. NPCs who accept gifts will accept more than one, so you can dump all your gifts onto the same alien for multiple rep rewards, at least that is how it worked for me.

ShootaBoy posted:

That's all good to know. Also gently caress the story, I'm a space nomad, I don't care about your lofty ambiguous space being goals. Have fuel will travel :colbert:

The intro quests eventually give you the option to continue the story or go into a more free mode thing, where you still will be given the Atlas pass stuff so you can actually progress. So you should at least do the quests up until it asks you which path to take.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 28, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, check the mission board, a lot of them are just stuff you'd do anyway (Scan creatures, fight sentinels, gather resources) and give a decent amount of payouts. Sometimes you also get some really valuable items from doing them as well. (I had a mission give me a portable reactor earlier, which turned out to be worth 5 mil)

Lastly, you can upgrade your suit in the space stations now, check the hologram behind the exosuit module merchant.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Also, check the mission board, a lot of them are just stuff you'd do anyway (Scan creatures, fight sentinels, gather resources) and give a decent amount of payouts. Sometimes you also get some really valuable items from doing them as well. (I had a mission give me a portable reactor earlier, which turned out to be worth 5 mil)

Lastly, you can upgrade your suit in the space stations now, check the hologram behind the exosuit module merchant.

Where is the mission board? I have a mission NPC on the station that doesn't want to offer me anything because I guess my rep isn't high enough?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ToastyPotato posted:

Where is the mission board? I have a mission NPC on the station that doesn't want to offer me anything because I guess my rep isn't high enough?

The dude sitting beside the guild guy in the station should be able to give you missions.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ToastyPotato posted:

My bad, I've been doing missions on the freighter (which is a board), but you're right, you get missions from the NPCs on the opposite side from the merchants. The left guy gives you generic missions for each faction, while the guy on the right gives you higher level missions depending on which faction he's from (Mercenary, Merchant or Explorer)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I will check him again today. I haven't checked since I spammed gifts and got a bunch of rep level ups, so maybe something unlocked now.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Looks like another patch incoming fairly soon(or now if your a Steam experimental build user). On the list is “assorted text fixes”. Guessing that means all the quest/etc issues.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also when you visit a station, ask for direction from the aliens. If you get pointed toward an ancient ruin, visit it and ask for knowledge from the past. It’ll take you to another ruin with a treasure chest. Uncover 3 keys (use scanner to find them) and open the chest. It’ll have treasure ranging from 100k to 20 million credits. First one I found was for 12M.

You can also use navigation data to point you toward ancient ruins (use the data with a signal booster). Last, you can go to the cubicles in the space station (by the suit/ship/tool upgrade merchants) and click on the orange cubs in the desk for nanites/nav data.

Holy poo poo. I was wondering what the ancient keys were for.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Broken Cog posted:

Those buried tech modules are actually one of the few things that never disappear when you dig. Are you sure you're not thinking of underground relics?

ToastyPotato posted:

Are you sure they are tech modules and not buried relics? I haven't had an tech modules vanish beneath me, but every single buried relic has disappeared when I dig to them. The only time I see those relics is when they are sitting out near or in a cave.

:doh:

Yeah, I meant relics. My mistake.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

ToastyPotato posted:

The intro quests eventually give you the option to continue the story or go into a more free mode thing, where you still will be given the Atlas pass stuff so you can actually progress. So you should at least do the quests up until it asks you which path to take.

Oh good, they didn't change that part. That's a relief.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh good, they didn't change that part. That's a relief.

Well that is based off of the wiki I read which did seem updated for Next... I don't see why they would remove that.. I hope they didn't! Considering I peeped a stream where those anomaly space ball things are still around, I assume that part of the game is still the same. I'm still dicking around the starter system.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got my plasma cannon to where it destroys 2 armored sentinels in 1 shot, but it still only takes half of a regular sentinel's life, and can't kill it fast enough to stop it from calling reinforcements.

it even kills the doggo sentinels in 1 shot, but just bounces off the walker's body.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Anyone else get stuck on an endless loop during the purge. Every time i jump i get immediately hailed, warped to, told to come aboard, and then nothing happens when i talk to them. Am I missing something?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, a few things I learned by watching Giantbomb's video about this: First of all, there is a Melee button. I had no idea about this before. Second, you can use melee followed by a quick burst from your jetpack to do kind of a forward momentum jump that you can repeat over and over to cover ground a bit faster than you would by just running there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Those "Metallic Fingers" or whatever they're called is the only good source for Uranium I've found in the game so far. Apparently you're supposed to find it on radioactive planets, but all I can find there is that a few minerals or flora has it as a secondary resource.

The low atmosphere/barren type worlds have metal fingers too. Have 2k gold and 4k uranium in the freighter. Never making launch fuel again

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
So here's a quality-of-life improvement that slipped completely under my radar:

If you have the available materials to craft something in your inventory, you can continue crafting it without having to go into the crafting menu or even another slot; once the stack is done, it will automatically move over to the next available slot. This makes hoarding launch fuel and crafting moneymakers like living glass a hell of lot less tedious!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

3 posted:

So here's a quality-of-life improvement that slipped completely under my radar:

If you have the available materials to craft something in your inventory, you can continue crafting it without having to go into the crafting menu or even another slot; once the stack is done, it will automatically move over to the next available slot. This makes hoarding launch fuel and crafting moneymakers like living glass a hell of lot less tedious!

That spot will even tell you how much you need to craft more if you run out.

Another thing I just learned is that the cargo slots on your suit holds amounts like you do in your spaceship. Now I see why they're so expensive and I am totally investing in those.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
lil multiplayer inventory tip: join random games and buy inventory space from the station you spawn next to in people's games instead of doing drop pods

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Welp if a short google search is correct, you can’t get the blueprint analyzer if you’re playing an old save file.

Piss.

I read they are fixing this and a few other things, which are currently fixed in the opt in beta thingy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I have a bug where I'm supposed to interact with my base computer and its bugging out to say that the computer is on my freighter. Okay, so internet says to fly down, put up a new base computer, save/reload, and try again. I hop in and out of my ship and load a save, except I hit the "manual" save from several hours ago instead of the "autosave". Whoops, but no big deal, the autosave is still separate so I'll just load that, right?

Except no, loading the autosave drops me back into the manual save now. Even shutting down and restarting the game still has me dropping in to the save from ten hours ago rather than the current one. So now I am unable to play without risking overwriting my autosave and losing mountains of progress.

How is it physically possible for you to screw up a patch so badly that trying to fix bugs is like throwing a handful of pots down a stairway

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

lil multiplayer inventory tip: join random games and buy inventory space from the station you spawn next to in people's games instead of doing drop pods

Does doing this add those stations to the list of connected stations in your solo game?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So I have a bug where I'm supposed to interact with my base computer and its bugging out to say that the computer is on my freighter. Okay, so internet says to fly down, put up a new base computer, save/reload, and try again. I hop in and out of my ship and load a save, except I hit the "manual" save from several hours ago instead of the "autosave". Whoops, but no big deal, the autosave is still separate so I'll just load that, right?

Except no, loading the autosave drops me back into the manual save now. Even shutting down and restarting the game still has me dropping in to the save from ten hours ago rather than the current one. So now I am unable to play without risking overwriting my autosave and losing mountains of progress.

How is it physically possible for you to screw up a patch so badly that trying to fix bugs is like throwing a handful of pots down a stairway

There are apparently worse save bugs than that. I've seen people say that they just straight up losing save data. Unless this is what they meant, since it apparently has the same effect.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Also, while you're doing this, pick up any stackable missions like killing or scanning. Then you scan 5 rocks and turn in 10 missions.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone made it far on the Atlas path? I’ve found a couple of stations but they now give you formulas to make poo poo instead of the atlas stones so I’m curious as to how this quest line plays out now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Burns posted:

Another bug. The little puzzles at transmission towers are always the same
Abandoned bases always have the same line of dialogue.

It's like some janky version of Poe's Law where it's not really clear what's a bug and what's just poor design choices. Like I can't tell when the ship management mechanics are glitching out or when that's just how it's genuinely intended to work.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i got a class S ship that looks like a dragonfly, its pretty nice but i'm not a huge fan of it. mine is blue and has no wings, whereas earlier in the game when i was much poorer i saw one of the same ship but it was gold and had sweet wings

I got a class A from one of the story quests, it’s nice looking but most of the slots are full of junk, does clearing them out increase the credit value at all? Or should I just hang around at a trader until I can find something that’s working?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So what are the actual differences between the Story or exploration paths? You more or less will get the same stuff right? Both award Atlas Pass stuff to unlock things?

Anime_Otaku posted:

I got a class A from one of the story quests, it’s nice looking but most of the slots are full of junk, does clearing them out increase the credit value at all? Or should I just hang around at a trader until I can find something that’s working?

I dunno that it increases the value. I've read that people just use those junkers as trade for better ships. Since that is cheaper and quicker than clearing all the slots.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ToastyPotato posted:

Does doing this add those stations to the list of connected stations in your solo game?

Yep sure does

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So what happens when you join a game, grab the station, leave and go back to your save, but then go back to that system where you know the players are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ToastyPotato posted:

So what happens when you join a game, grab the station, leave and go back to your save, but then go back to that system where you know the players are?

Unless you've joined another player or they've joined you, other players just show up as glowing orbs like in Atlas Rises.