Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

panda clue posted:

I joined a game with literal children yelling human being at me in the microphone and asking what I was doing in their game. I flew down to their base and shot one of them dead on the ground (in my ship), and killed the other one in a midair gunfight.

This game owns.

Never seen a ship like this, have more screens? It's mighty pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno that it increases the value. I've read that people just use those junkers as trade for better ships. Since that is cheaper and quicker than clearing all the slots.

I just wish you could choose which ship you wanted to trade instead of needing to have it as your primary.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno that it increases the value. I've read that people just use those junkers as trade for better ships. Since that is cheaper and quicker than clearing all the slots.

On one of the occasions when several of my ships deigned to appear on my freighter, scanning both my functional and broken ships seemed to show roughly the same value for all of them, in the 900k range. So if it does make a difference, it's probably very minimal, certainly not worth the time and mats to fix the broken slots.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Zaa Boogie posted:

I just wish you could choose which ship you wanted to trade instead of needing to have it as your primary.

Yeah that is obnoxious. Not being able to call ships to stations is also annoying. There is a lot of baffling quality of life issues for sure.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah that is obnoxious. Not being able to call ships to stations is also annoying. There is a lot of baffling quality of life issues for sure.

I mean just look how this update broke basic day one poo poo like quest dialogue and crafting and stuff

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

ToastyPotato posted:

So what are the actual differences between the Story or exploration paths? You more or less will get the same stuff right? Both award Atlas Pass stuff to unlock things?

It's not like you need to go out of your way for the Story path. You can still explore all you want.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So it's probably best to sell/trade these junker ships I find rather than spending the absurd amount of materials it takes to fix it up? I found a nice S-Class ship with a bunch of space but to fix everything would take so much time. How do I sell them? Can I sell them without a freighter? I'm also waiting for my free one of those to show up..

Burns
May 10, 2008

A buddy of mine got the game and we managed to play a bit today.

I buried his ship under a mountain of terrain.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Powershift posted:

I've got my plasma cannon to where it destroys 2 armored sentinels in 1 shot, but it still only takes half of a regular sentinel's life, and can't kill it fast enough to stop it from calling reinforcements.

it even kills the doggo sentinels in 1 shot, but just bounces off the walker's body.

I think sentinels are bugged at the moment, but it's not as bad as it most of the other bugs so I think it would probably be low priority. I remember with the atlas update they were much more forgiving for how much time you had to stop them before they got reinforcements. I've yet to stop them before they can call them, which is insane to me. Plus the moments where you get stuck in always alert and then they attack you in space forever. If you can't escape them in space from either running or shooting them by design, that's just crazy, so I assume it's a bug.

Burns posted:

Another bug. The little puzzles at transmission towers are always the same
Abandoned bases always have the same line of dialogue.

This is definitely a bug right now. Once again, when playing the atlas update, you would get those number puzzles (eg. 1-2-6-24-120-...), but it would be different variations of it. Right now, that example is the ONLY one I've gotten. It's funny to me that it just means now whenever I land and do the puzzle the second I see 1-2 I just hit 720 and move on. This feels just like when the game first came out to me. Hello Games should never set dates for releases, cause it just makes it so they aren't ready when that date hits. This game needs a lot more testing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

explosivo posted:

So it's probably best to sell/trade these junker ships I find rather than spending the absurd amount of materials it takes to fix it up? I found a nice S-Class ship with a bunch of space but to fix everything would take so much time. How do I sell them? Can I sell them without a freighter? I'm also waiting for my free one of those to show up..

Just fix the thrusters and pulse drives so you can fly it to a station, then park and wait for a good ship to trade with. Probably could do the same at a trade outpost on the planet, which saves fixes the pulse drive.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Managed to figure out why my game had lost its mind and wouldn't let me use the hyperdrive.

Because I had already installed the red upgrade. Yup. My hyperdrive was too good for my story progress. :doh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ToastyPotato posted:

Just fix the thrusters and pulse drives so you can fly it to a station, then park and wait for a good ship to trade with. Probably could do the same at a trade outpost on the planet, which saves fixes the pulse drive.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

This video explained a lot of good starter tips everyone should know of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1ITYj2jt8

Combined with the reddit post linked to above about optimizing upgrade modules and you'll do alright.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I think sentinels are bugged at the moment, but it's not as bad as it most of the other bugs so I think it would probably be low priority. I remember with the atlas update they were much more forgiving for how much time you had to stop them before they got reinforcements. I've yet to stop them before they can call them, which is insane to me. Plus the moments where you get stuck in always alert and then they attack you in space forever. If you can't escape them in space from either running or shooting them by design, that's just crazy, so I assume it's a bug.

This is definitely a bug right now. Once again, when playing the atlas update, you would get those number puzzles (eg. 1-2-6-24-120-...), but it would be different variations of it. Right now, that example is the ONLY one I've gotten. It's funny to me that it just means now whenever I land and do the puzzle the second I see 1-2 I just hit 720 and move on. This feels just like when the game first came out to me. Hello Games should never set dates for releases, cause it just makes it so they aren't ready when that date hits. This game needs a lot more testing.

Every time they drop an update it has the feel of a small studio who did small studio QA. With the money they’ve pulled in and the Sony backing you would think they could get some help there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dollas posted:

Anyone else get stuck on an endless loop during the purge. Every time i jump i get immediately hailed, warped to, told to come aboard, and then nothing happens when i talk to them. Am I missing something?

Yep, stuck there as well, seems like it's bugged for everyone. It's a bit of a shame, too, since I wanted to hold off with building a serious base until after I'd done that mission.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

how the gently caress do i stop this "space anomaly" noise

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I dug this out from the bottom of my steam library since it's patched up and all, the performance is still pretty crap and starting a new game is tedious as hell if you get plopped on an environmental hazard planet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fun bugs. I loaded my old save to see what was up. Landed on a freighter to see if I could buy it, accepted a mission instead, got teleported outside and died, lost hundreds of nanites worth of uninstalled tech, reloaded the save, but I can't access any menus, only interact/move. Can't exit, can't reload, can't look at inventory or discoveries. Glad I am doing this on my old save and not my current one.

Also, did you know if you plop down a message sphere to try it out you can never EVER remove it or change the message? If you can I sure as hell don't see how. It told me it cant be removed and I can't delete the message. So now I have a stupid message spam me in the middle of my screen every time I move around my base. That is amazing design.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I think I'll try playing on creative mode. As someone else aready said, the exploration side is crippled by the terrible awkward survival crap getting in the way all the time. Or the pointless sentinels. I landed on a planet to find out what it was like - extreme sentinel response - finr, just get back in and fly a.... And I was already tagged. They wouldn't go away by sitting in the ship so I took off. After beating off 2 waves of ships in space I went back to the planet. Another wave spawned and followed me down. After killing them I landed and went into a building. More reinforcements, they couldn't see me but it just would not go away.
A quick planet check turned into a 2 hour pointless fight with hordes of sentinels. Cool, I have plenty of walker brains now but just turn the alarm off and let me go! In the end I just let them kill me, got in my ship and left. I was half expecting them to open fire while I looted my corpse.

I just want to potter around without all the aggro and millions of different but similar items. Ferric dust, pure ferrite, magnetized ferrite. Fucks sake Hello, if you make all this garbage, let me carry a bit of everything?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, is the mining tool overheat mechanic utterly bugged for anyone else?

The overheat bar resets to 0 every time I start mining, unless it's currently overheating. (As in, it'll snap from wherever it is, back to 0 each time I start mining. )
So I can mine faster by just mining 0-90%, 0-90%, 0-90%.
Making all these mining reload speed upgrades I've gotten completely useless.

I wasn't sure about the space klingons, until a security guard took a look at my lovely starter multitool, and gave me a 23 slot one for free, because he pitied me.

(Of course, most of the slots were destroyed, and needed 100-200k worth of resources to unlock each slot, but atleast there's growth potential.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SubNat posted:

So, is the mining tool overheat mechanic utterly bugged for anyone else?

The overheat bar resets to 0 every time I start mining, unless it's currently overheating. (As in, it'll snap from wherever it is, back to 0 each time I start mining. )
So I can mine faster by just mining 0-90%, 0-90%, 0-90%.
Making all these mining reload speed upgrades I've gotten completely useless.

I wasn't sure about the space klingons, until a security guard took a look at my lovely starter multitool, and gave me a 23 slot one for free, because he pitied me.

(Of course, most of the slots were destroyed, and needed 100-200k worth of resources to unlock each slot, but atleast there's growth potential.)

This has happened since release and has never been patched because it would be misery to constantly wait for your laser to cool down to keep mining

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Calaveron posted:

This has happened since release and has never been patched because it would be misery to constantly wait for your laser to cool down to keep mining

Then why not just remove it as a mechanic then? Mining is slow enough, you could just disable the entire heat mechanic and be better off.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Make sure you guys try the photo mode, it is rad as gently caress:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

junan_paalla posted:

I dug this out from the bottom of my steam library since it's patched up and all, the performance is still pretty crap and starting a new game is tedious as hell if you get plopped on an environmental hazard planet.
I thought with having upgraded my PC since the last time I tried it and Steam refunded it, I would give it another shot. Lol nope. Refunded again. I ain't upgrading my PC right now for a game that looks like a Blender demo. Back to PS4.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Seriously, anyone who hates the launch fuel mechanic just go raid a radiation planet. 10 uranium is 25% thruster power.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Has anyone reclaimed an old save base? I landed on a planet and plopped down the computer but nothing. I still have the quest, but the quest doesn't say anything beyond find a hospitable place. I kind of would like my base back for free since it already had storage (and I can still see the storage inventory and send things to it. )

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think I just lost my freighter. I got one after the patch for free after killing some pirates, and just now stumbled upon another freighter under attack and got it for free too, but now that freighter is my default one and I can't find a way to go back to the old one (where all my stuff is.)

Am I hosed?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Should I wait till bugs are dealt with before putting time into this?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Should I wait till bugs are dealt with before putting time into this?

It's worth trying even with the bugs IMO. The development team appears to be doing at least small patches almost-daily, so they seem committed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I somehow stumbled into finding both ruins with a chest and a downed freighter and the two combined made for awesome treasure hunting and like 1.5 million credits. I want to just go treasure hunting forever now. What's the best way to do that? How do I most easily find more down freighters and ruins

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I somehow stumbled into finding both ruins with a chest and a downed freighter and the two combined made for awesome treasure hunting and like 1.5 million credits. I want to just go treasure hunting forever now. What's the best way to do that? How do I most easily find more down freighters and ruins

Luck of the draw or finding systems that have a traveler in the base and giving them the nanites to point you in the direction of ruins

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Transmission towers will point you to crashed freighters and also crashed starships, and feeding navigation data into a signal booster and setting it for "artifacts" can point you to ancient ruins. You should always carry a signal booster around with you, since even the basic scan can reveal cool stuff in your immediate vicinity.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Burns posted:

Another bug. The little puzzles at transmission towers are always the same
Abandoned bases always have the same line of dialogue.

As far as I can tell crashed freighters all have the same distress log, at least of the ~5 or so I’ve seen so far

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

As far as I can tell crashed freighters all have the same distress log, at least of the ~5 or so I’ve seen so far

Yeah, it's definitely a bug. Pre-NEXT there were a ton of neat little logs but for some reason after the update only one ever displays.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

(1) I underestimated the current tech tree because of how far I was not along
(2) rockets definitely can help you clean up pirates that try to get into lancing, head-on jousts with you

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I definitely still hate ship combat, that's for sure. Perhaps with upgrades it is more fun, but with default ships, it's basically just me being endless kited by ships that eternally circle you and pelt you until you die.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Sentinels are mildly annoying when they are guarding a locked door, but otherwise I have yet to have a real problem with them except a few times when I dig an escape tunnel and yet for some reason their countdown timer disappears.

I did run into a manufacturing facility that clearly had two of the robot dog looking sentinels guarding it (I had no wanted level or anything at the time), which is something I never saw previously. Somehow I still managed to get inside by shooting the door with my starter pea shooter and running around like an idiot while they nearly cut me in half with lasers.

Those facilities are also part of missions, and from the moment you get detected you have one minute and a half to kick down the door and do the cyoa minigame.
I had luck entering the facility by digging a cave and using it to shoot the goddamn door. I remember it was way easier to enter protected facilities in vanilla. I managed to die from an At-St while running a hill and half away from the ship then a hill and half back to the ship after not loosing enemies in a cave that I have dug (stupid game). Next time the plan is to dig a hole towards the ship as well

quote:

Also, some people don't seem to realize that you can refine your fuel to make it more efficient and save inventory space. Turn ferrite dust into pure ferrite, and then pure ferrite into magnetized ferrite and use that to fuel your terrain manipulator. Something like 20 magnetized ferrite gives 100% power (and only costs 40 ferrite dust + carbon fuel if using the portable refinery). As an added bonus I'm pretty sure you can 'downgrade' your magnetized ferrite to pure ferrite (for the cost of more carbon fuel) if you need it for repairs or whatever.

You can downgrade uranium to ferrite as well and you can also convert Iron scrap to ferrite dust.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 28, 2018

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

limaCAT posted:

I had luck entering the facility by digging a cave and using it to shoot the goddamn door.

I just blow up the door with my ship, then fly in circles until the sentinels get bored.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone had an issue with all freighter expeditions being grayed out, and if so do you know how to fix it? I can't run missions at all currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

3 posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a bug. Pre-NEXT there were a ton of neat little logs but for some reason after the update only one ever displays.

It seems like a pretty far reaching bug too. Quest details, transmission towers, etc. all those strings of texts aren’t being accessed properly