Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Or you can just take the other kid to fun stuff when the other kid is away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

life is a joke posted:

What did they do? I see people saying they did right lol but I can’t figure out how to un-nest the Twitter comments to see they reply.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Leon Einstein posted:

Or you can just take the other kid to fun stuff when the other kid is away.

Potentially it's a wake up call to do more fun stuff with your kids. But potentially it's more to do with the fact that "cool dad" is basically associated with ONLY fun stuff and late bedtime or whatever and is basically just lax as gently caress, which no surprise, kids love compared to regular normal parenting.

Spitefully taking one child to different things than the brother because you're leery of "cool dad" is just a great way to build a hosed up dynamic of my REAL son vs the OTHER son (which is already happening to an extent).

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

presented: a ticking bomb

My [31] wife [27] is trying to convince me to let our son spend every other weekend with her ex [28].

quote:

The issue is that Jake's father has committed to doing “fun tasks” with his son. He often takes them to the movies, to sports games, amusement parks, bowling, family parties, etc.. I honestly don’t know where he gets the money to do this but it seems like EVERY TIME they go out he takes him to do something.

Idiot man confused by how someone could structure their financials and time to spend 2 weekends a month doing fun things.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
yeah there's a lot of stupidity on all sides

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It is pretty bullshit to have to do all the tough day to day parenting and then have Captain Irresponsible swoop in every other weekend to play cool dad and give the kid back all wound up.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shnag posted:

Yeah it isn't black and white in that regard. Having male friends? Thats fine, but pawing on them and having them obviously into her, not fine. What behavior is acceptable would vary from person to person. On one hand, you might have a woman cut off from family friends and isolated and abused, which is not acceptable, on the other hand, there is some poor smuck ok with his SO spending time with ex's because "You control who i am friends with!", or the earlier story in the thread about 'skinship' where the poor guys wife was all over guys right in front of him.

You can't control anyone, but you can choose what you find acceptable to put up with.

That's not the same as telling someone they can't have any friends of the other gender. Or accusing them of loving every male they're friends with. If you can't trust your partner to the point you feel they can't have any friends of a certain gender, at all, ever, just leave them because they're a poo poo person who doesn't respect you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tactlessbastard posted:

It is pretty bullshit to have to do all the tough day to day parenting and then have Captain Irresponsible swoop in every other weekend to play cool dad and give the kid back all wound up.
Especially since Captain Irresponsible is conveniently not having to repay back child support:

quote:

[–]marcusbenton [score hidden] an hour ago
Is Jake's dad paying child support now or is he just buying love with goodies and fun outings?

Because if he's not paying support (and made arrangements for back support) talking about expanding his love-buying sprees to include your son is unacceptable.

[–]Rlshp_Throwaway[S] [score hidden] an hour ago*
Yeah he's paying child support. He's not paying for the 6 years he missed out (which I personally thought he should have) but I mean my wife was okay with it so what could I do?

[–]marcusbenton [score hidden] an hour ago
Is it a formal order or an informal agreement? Both the support and custody arrangements should be formalized.

[–]Rlshp_Throwaway[S] [score hidden] an hour ago
It's formal. She wouldn't agree to let him spend time with the son until it was a formalized agreement. She was just very lenient and didn't enforce any back-pay
So he gets to waltz back into his kid's life after years of being a criminal/deadbeat, not have to repay the years of debt he owes, and gets to be fun dad 100% of the time. No wonder OP's side-eyeing him.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
and now it's suggested that he let the guy become the fun dad for his kid too, which his wife and the guy and the kids already discussed, without him

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Obviously take a few Fridays off and take the boys to something fun together, and let Bio Dad deal with getting homework and report cards done.

Then suggest how much fun a Disney trip would be to the boys.

If you can’t beat’em, join’em.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah reading into the OP's comments more he realizes he needs to restructure his schedule so he can spend more time on weekends with them. Most hosed up part is that OP's wife talked about sending his son to some deadbeat fuckhead loser's place to avoid conflict or try to "heal" the situation and then guilt trip him using the kid he raised. gently caress that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol I like how the peanut gallery just condemns the guy with no other information than "didn't pay for a while" and "mom was ok with it".

Like the latter part is the real kicker. Sure he could just be a deadbeat and for some reason she's being a doormat about it I guess. Or maybe he was in a rough place for a while and she wasn't struggling so she let him slide? Maybe dad never even knew about the kid until he was six years old and the mom didn't expect him to pay during that period.

Like there are probably a dozen realistic scenarios where he's not an rear end in a top hat. We have no idea one way or the other, but even though the mom approves of the situation people just default to Kill All Men in these scenarios lol.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

More to the point as a step parent you are going to have to deal with 'you're not my REAL dad/mom' sometimes even if you DID raise the kid from a young age. Especially when the kid is 8 and suddenly biodad has swooped back into his life and is doing fun stuff with him while you've got to make sure he does his homework and eats his veggies. Nobody in this situation has to be a shithead for there to be resentment, especially because 8 year olds don't have the tact or emotional maturity of an older person yet.

Things can suck without someone being The Bad Guy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd count the mom as a bad guy for discussing it with everyone but the OP first, essentially making sure he can't say no without torpedoing his relationship with his son

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
stage an elaborate heist-gone-wrong to frame the fun dad for bank robbery

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I'd count the mom as a bad guy for discussing it with everyone but the OP first, essentially making sure he can't say no without torpedoing his relationship with his son

yeah I think at this point OP is a bit stuck unless he just wants to nuke everything, imo he should let the brothers stay together and enjoy their time together as a family and hopefully as his kids grow they'll realize what he did was much harder than taking them to the carnival every other week.

Mom probably is either already loving her ex or close to it tho so rip that relationship.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The guy really has no choice, the relationship is toast if he doesn't give in to what his wife wants in the long run. Probably shouldn't have married a woman that used to let criminals use her as a cum dumpster.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I like how the peanut gallery just condemns the guy with no other information than "didn't pay for a while" and "mom was ok with it".

Like the latter part is the real kicker. Sure he could just be a deadbeat and for some reason she's being a doormat about it I guess. Or maybe he was in a rough place for a while and she wasn't struggling so she let him slide? Maybe dad never even knew about the kid until he was six years old and the mom didn't expect him to pay during that period.

Like there are probably a dozen realistic scenarios where he's not an rear end in a top hat. We have no idea one way or the other, but even though the mom approves of the situation people just default to Kill All Men in these scenarios lol.

Lol did you ever think that the scenario I made up happened? Bet you feel bad now.

Checkmate libs.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

There's actually a lot of information there, such as him having been arrested constantly and also wanting, specifically, to come back into his son's life

Like, the scenario you're proposing is loving bonkers, why in the hell would he try to come back into the life of a girl he dated six loving years ago who broke up with and then moved an hour away from him if there's no son involved?

There is no realistic scenario where he's not an rear end in a top hat, he's a deadbeat gently caress who decided to wander back in to his son's life after years of being absent, and it's a god drat nonsensical take to not understand the difference between him wanting to have a relationship with his biological son(Who he abandoned, which makes him trash, but whatever)and a completely unrelated child who he had no hand in raising

Like seriously, it's crazy that people are all on board for this dude just handing his own son over to the deadbeat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like the idea of a doormat, in the relationship thread of all places, is unrealistic.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
mostly it just bums me out that it seems like even his wife is falling into the fun dad, stable dad dichotomy, the ex is the fun one who makes the kids happy and gets to hide his stress and actual problems from her and "changed his life due to a revelation", and if the husband pushes back he plays into that dynamic, and if he doesn't then the ex just cements his role as "fun, and cool, and sorry the 3 of you have to go back to rule-dad now"

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In all reality she probably just wants a day of peace and quiet with both boys out of the house and this dude is loving it up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

In all reality she probably just wants a day of peace and quiet with both boys out of the house and this dude is loving it up.

And there's of course no other way this could be arranged, in the universe, other than them going to hang out with her ex lmao

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
youre absolutely right

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Was I [25F] wrong in asking my boyfriend [23M] to not go on his family trip?

My boyfriend is an Air Force reservist and he has a 5-day work engagement next week. He is also going on a family trip this weekend. I offered to pay for the hotel for work ($300) because he waited too long to reserve one that the AF would pay for. He has to get gas money from his parents to get to and from their vacation. I suggested that he take that money and instead of using it on gas to go there, use it to feed himself and get gas to and from his work site, or help me with the hotel bill. He then proceeded to blow up on me saying that his family only goes on vacations once every 2-3 years, so if he misses this one then he would have to wait, and that I don't care about his being able to spend time with them.

He then said that they are struggling financially, so they would only be able to contribute $50 at most and that it's just a "drop in a hat" of a $300 hotel bill. Well, I feel like it's my money I'm dishing out so he has no say in what's going to help me or not. ALSO, he's in the negative so he has no money for gas to get there and back OR food while he's there. Now I'm going to be footing the bill for all of that since he's adamant about going on the trip and not getting his parents to help me out.

He also tried to say things like he would sleep in the car and not eat for the whole week so I wouldn't have to pay for anything. I feel like that was very manipulative as he knows I can't let him do that in good conscience, but I'm starting to think I should now. I also voiced that sentiment of how I couldn't do that, and he called it a "me" problem. He isn't being practical at all and is taking this all very personally. Should I still pay for the trip? Was I wrong in suggesting that he not go on his family trip?

TLDR: I asked my boyfriend to not go on a 2-day family trip and take the money that would've been spent there (by his parents) to help me pay for his work trip. He blew up on me and said I don't care about his family and won't be helping me pay for it.

fun facts in the comments:

+ this is the OP's first relationship
+ they started long-distance, only spent around a month's worth of time with each other before moving in together.
+ "I've supported him financially since the day we met."
+ she basically researches and figures out any paperwork and forms in his life. he might actually get covered for travel expenses, but he followed up on any of his emails.
+ she and her mom both paid his phone bills on separate occasions.
+ he would miss dinner on base and have her order ubereats for him.
+ A commenter genuinely asked if he has a learning disability. She said he's smart at school subjects but relies on her for everything else.

But wait, there's more!

Well, you'd be more in shock to know other things I've put up with. Swiping on tinder right next to me because "he's bored," proposing sex with an ex less than a week after we started dating, messaging his other ex about her wet dreams about him a few months into our dating, and how she was the girl he wanted to marry.. etc.

If you are so strapped that not eating for a week or sleeping in your car are options, you may want to rethink things.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Khazar-khum posted:

If you are so strapped that not eating for a week or sleeping in your car are options, you may want to rethink things.

REthink? Doubt any thinking was involved to begin with.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
After finally catching up with this thread, I realize how many horrible people there are and I want to go yell at them all for being so drat stupid.

How the human race hasn’t lemming-ed itself off a cliff by now is beyond me.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
poo poo sucks. But hey if he does all the boring stuff and responsibilities, its still gonna turn out to be "fun dad" and dad. Like actual dad, the guy that raised you.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I (26M) am dating someone (22F) that is late to almost everything. It isn't improving and getting to the point that I don't want to see her anymore. It seems like such a stupid reason to break up.
u/BeOnTimeJustOnce

quote:

We are not moving forward because basically I am holding back. She is late for everything, and when I say late she may be 15 minutes late or 3-4 hours past schedule. It's so drat frustrating and we talk about it and she says stuff like "that's just how I am, ill work on it, sorry" in a cutesy voice or sometimes she'll deny that she's always late. I took it that she would work on it but as it continues I've been worrying that she isn't serious or doesn't care. She always swears that she cares but it seems like she doesn't just because she doesn't seem to make much of an effort.

Today, I was meeting her around 3:30 to go out and she had mentioned yesterday that she didn't have much work for today (she works from home) and that she'd be done before the afternoon. At 1:30 she text me and said she took some medicine for anxiety becuase she is nervous about a surgery she is having next week, and said that she might be asleep. I thought hey that's fine, I get it.

I show up and she's asleep, so I wake her and asked what we are doing and we talked about plans. So she started to get ready, like played on her phone and her cats, got ready some more, THEN PULLED OUT HER LAPTOP AND SAID SHE HAD TO FINISH WORK FOR THE DAY FIRST, then she finished getting ready. She apparently just went to sleep in the middle of the day instead of doing work for her job and didn't tell me before I drove over there. She knew she was going to sleep during the workday at 1:30 when she was supposed to already be done with work. It was 6:30, 3 hours after I said I'd be there and we are just leaving. At this point she gets a call from her friend who is leaving town next week for a job and she kind of has to go see her tonight because it's the last time she will see her in awhile. But I'm so angry at this point. I tried to explain that I wasn't mad that she is seeing her friend before she leaves, I'm mad that she yet again has wasted an entire day and now we have 45 minutes to spend time before she has to go get ready for her friends going away party. (I should mention I was invited but she knows that I work in the AM on Saturdays and she knows that I can't go out). She asked me why I look mad which honestly made me furious, but I kept it inside- I told her (for the 1000th time) that more than every other time we hang out she's late and it doesn't seem to matter. And she told me that she didn't care tonight because she needs to see her friend and that she took the Xanax because she is nervous about her surgery and doesn't want to be bothered by "stupid poo poo that doesn't matter" and so she doesn't care. I feel like her being on benzos today has given me a dosage of the truth and how she really sees my concern in the relationship.

Im sick of this, but breaking up over punctuality feels so, so stupid. We get along in so many other ways and I'm just burnt out and tired of dating. I don't know what to do. How do I even bring it up again after she's said that? I don't want to give her an ultimatum but I also don't want to continue on with this.

tl;dr My gf is late to everything and doesn't really seem to care. We can't see movies, can't make dinner plans with others, and I can't trust her to do anything on time. Other than just bringing it up for the 1000th time I don't know what to do short of breaking up with her even though that seems like a stupid reason to break up.

He doesn’t want to give her an ultimatum, guys, but he doesn’t have a valid reason to break up either! Poor bastard. He’s going to be late for everything ever for the rest of his days. :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Agrikk posted:

After finally catching up with this thread, I realize how many horrible people there are and I want to go yell at them all for being so drat stupid.

How the human race hasn’t lemming-ed itself off a cliff by now is beyond me.

It's not for lack of trying, I can tell you that!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Blade Runner posted:

There's actually a lot of information there, such as him having been arrested constantly and also wanting, specifically, to come back into his son's life

Like, the scenario you're proposing is loving bonkers, why in the hell would he try to come back into the life of a girl he dated six loving years ago who broke up with and then moved an hour away from him if there's no son involved?

There is no realistic scenario where he's not an rear end in a top hat, he's a deadbeat gently caress who decided to wander back in to his son's life after years of being absent, and it's a god drat nonsensical take to not understand the difference between him wanting to have a relationship with his biological son(Who he abandoned, which makes him trash, but whatever)and a completely unrelated child who he had no hand in raising

Like seriously, it's crazy that people are all on board for this dude just handing his own son over to the deadbeat

Can't really say I'm on board with it, opinion wise i don't think the wife should have let him back into the first kid's life either, just sue him for child support and keep things separate from outside of that. They had a stable household and now it's all thrown in the trash because she obviously still has feelings for her ex.

Now that she's already pitting their second son against the actually a parent dad, there's really nothing he can do other than wreck his relationship with his son/wife if he doesn't wanna capitulate. There's no way his younger son is gonna be able to understand why he's not allowed to to go to arcades every other weekend with his brother and if OP puts his foot down he's just gonna wreck his relationship with his bio son and probably cause problems between the brothers. Wife already went behind his back over this so he's kinda stuck outside of just ending everything.

It's not really much of an assumption to guess the reason why the wife is just dumping everything they have down the drain is because she's still after the one that got away, she clearly values the OP and her current life less than getting back involved with her ex. She wants the dependable dude to actually raise the kids while she has her cake and eats it too in an affair. It's win/win for her. There's p much no other explanation for her entangling their lives so badly when she had every option not to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

burial posted:

I (26M) am dating someone (22F) that is late to almost everything. It isn't improving and getting to the point that I don't want to see her anymore. It seems like such a stupid reason to break up.
u/BeOnTimeJustOnce

I dont know what hes worried about, by the time she realizes he dumped her hell be dead from old age

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

Can't really say I'm on board with it, opinion wise i don't think the wife should have let him back into the first kid's life either, just sue him for child support and keep things separate from outside of that. They had a stable household and now it's all thrown in the trash because she obviously still has feelings for her ex.

Now that she's already pitting their second son against the actually a parent dad, there's really nothing he can do other than wreck his relationship with his son/wife if he doesn't wanna capitulate. There's no way his younger son is gonna be able to understand why he's not allowed to to go to arcades every other weekend with his brother and if OP puts his foot down he's just gonna wreck his relationship with his bio son and probably cause problems between the brothers. Wife already went behind his back over this so he's kinda stuck outside of just ending everything.

It's not really much of an assumption to guess the reason why the wife is just dumping everything they have down the drain is because she's still after the one that got away, she clearly values the OP and her current life less than getting back involved with her ex. She wants the dependable dude to actually raise the kids while she has her cake and eats it too in an affair. It's win/win for her. There's p much no other explanation for her entangling their lives so badly when she had every option not to.

I can see her wanting to get back with the other guy, yeah. It's understandable for her to be willing for the kid to have a relationship with his biological father, but going this far with it is nonsensically overboard.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
My boyfriend (20M) thinks his action (slapping me) is justifiable in this case? Do you agree?

quote:

In Holland, there is this game that my younger nieces taught me (they are 8/13 and I am 19): if you see a yellow car, you get the right to slap someone next to you. It’s supposed to be jokingly, not handprint hard slap, but it can hurt a little.

I liked the game, and started playing with my bf. He never enjoyed it, I’ll say so, but he did participate on it, and did slap me a few times. I never complained, after all it was just a stupid game.

Today, however, we were driving around and I saw 3 yellow cars in a row. I slapped him, as usual, nothing major. Before I saw the first yellow car, I did say jokingly “I wish I’ll see a yellow car to slap you”

After the second car, he said stop (not forcefully or anything), but I did it again anyway when I saw the third, like when someone tells you to stop doing something and then you just do it one more time to finish it all up, to annoy each other in a good way (hope it makes sense). He immediately slapped me back out of anger on my leg, pretty hard to be honest (my thigh got pretty red) harder than how I slapped him that’s for sure.

I don’t know why but it didn’t sit well with me, the game was something fun, and all the times he slapped me during it I didn’t give a single poo poo. This time, however, I did think it crossed the line because it was out of anger, as I see it, not jokes.

Would you be mad over this or just brush it off as a one time thing? My boyfriend thinks I’m exaggerating and his actions are justifiable, not a big deal. What do you think?

TLDR: I was playing a “see the yellow car and slap your friend” game with my boyfriend. He got mad, said stop, I did not jokingly, and he slapped me for real. He thinks I’m overreacting. Do you think so?

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

My boyfriend (20M) thinks his action (slapping me) is justifiable in this case? Do you agree?

i'm sure this has been been posted before.

i'm getting déjà vu about some slap-related drama.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Break up so he can have a girlfriend who doesn't slap him over and over when she sees a yellow car because she has the mental age of an eight year old and continues to find it funny.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol

I'm [28/m] kind of pissed at my girlfriend [24/f], am I in the wrong? Please help

quote:

So basically after a year of dating my relationships sex life has gotten stagnant as gently caress and we haven’t been doing it much, I tried everything to mix things up but she just isn’t putting in the effort. Well finally a couple months ago she suggested we try watching porn together, I immediately accepted as I was so happy she finally seemed to care.

Well, instead of just going on the Internet she insisted on using her own recorded videos, which all turned out to be her loving different guys in the room she used to live in. It actually worked surprisingly well, she wants sex all the time now, but I’m starting to feel creeped out and angry that I have to watch my gf gently caress other dudes every time we have sex, but I’m afraid if I complain we’ll just go back to not having sex anymore.

UPDATE: I asked her if we could make our own videos and use those instead, and she said yes but wants her other videos playing in the background while we record it. I guess its sort of better? 😕

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol

I'm [28/m] kind of pissed at my girlfriend [24/f], am I in the wrong? Please help

Man this new season of Black Mirror is kinda lame.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Hello Ketene posted:

I can feel my love and respect for my parents slipping away due to my mother being the victim of multiple scams and my father’s passivity. I feel guilty and angry - AT THEM. How to move forward?

Parents dumb so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol

Haha I like how he gets to make new videos but still has to have the old ones playing while they make it. Like it'll become a Matryoshka doll of homemade porn, until they break up and her next boyfriend is forced to watch videos of her and her ex BF loving, with another video of her getting plowed in the background of that one, etc.