Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the only things uniting the republicans are TRUMP and owning the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Just got canvassed by text by the Beto campaign, first time I've ever been contacted by a D candidate for office.

In the last couple of weeks, a lot of the handicappers have been moving safe R seats to lean or likely, GOP is having to contest races everywhere and their summer fundraising was reportedly disastrous. A lot of right leaning pollsters skeptical of the blue wave scenario have started to allow that perhaps even the Senate is in play for Democrats. I don't know how impactful Helsinki was, I don't know if this 12 billion bailout will mollify GOP voters in the midwest, it'll take a week or so for those to start to move the polls.

I'm so jealous of y'all, they text me all the drat time

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
FWIW Beto's Facebook page has been pushing health care quite a bit, especially lately. He was laser focused on immigration for a bit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

isk posted:

FWIW Beto's Facebook page has been pushing health care quite a bit, especially lately. He was laser focused on immigration for a bit.

Imagine that...

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Delinquent campaign finance filers list is out for the state of texas. nothing too exciting but if it interests you take a look. That guy in Brownsville some people posted about is on their, Alonzo.

https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/dfs/delinquent/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Skex posted:

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/st...dMQJuSS0EG2S6N/

One of the most promising things I've seen this cycle to give me some hope that Beto can actually win this thing. It's also hilarious that Cruz has "challenged" Beto to debates when he's been dodging them for a while now. The idea that he's "challenging" rather than accepting a challenge indicates just how shook his campaign is.

Incumbents don't debate challengers who don't pose a real electoral threat. They have have nothing to gain and everything to lose so if Cruz is "challenging" Beto to a debate he must have some scary arsed internal poling.

Ted Cruz is a dumb motherfucker for going for a lot of debates. He thinks he's good at it because he was a debate champion, but he doesn't seem to realize that people loving hate debate champions, especially when they're being smarmy fucks during a debate.

Sure, slimy creepwad, get on stage against a photogenic, charismatic opponent five times.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I can't wait to see what exciting tonsil stones/boogers he eats on the debate stage next.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/1022900766703579136?s=21

Richest member of Congress also loves to waste water

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As a prominent member of society you can't honestly expect them to have dead grass on their lawn. That would be unsightly and an embarassment for Austin. It really is a burden to keep his property so well manicured because of his position and he did it so graciously you didn't even notice until the partisan water company tried to make this a political issue. smh

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Xeriscaping should be mandated by law.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sometimes I like to just open up all the taps in my house and let em go, you know?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
We've all been there, sometimes you just want it to sound like you're in a rainforest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1022975869688668160

It rarely benefits the front runner to debate his opponent, so either Ted is a moron or he really doesn’t like his internals. He only debated Paul Sadler once

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PostNouveau posted:

Ted Cruz is a dumb motherfucker for going for a lot of debates. He thinks he's good at it because he was a debate champion, but he doesn't seem to realize that people loving hate debate champions, especially when they're being smarmy fucks during a debate.

Sure, slimy creepwad, get on stage against a photogenic, charismatic opponent five times.

I was disappointed in Ted Cruz in Debate 3, when he tackled Beto and rammed his ovipositor into Beto's esophagus, but in Debate 4 it was a pretty bad look for Beto to concede the debate after Ted's larva ripped its way out of his chest.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1022975869688668160

It rarely benefits the front runner to debate his opponent, so either Ted is a moron or he really doesn’t like his internals. He only debated Paul Sadler once

It wouldn't shock me if Cruz wants so many because they think they just need a bunch of sound bytes to shore up their base. I wonder what percentage of Texas voters will watch more than 2 of those debates.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

It wouldn't shock me if Cruz wants so many because they think they just need a bunch of sound bytes to shore up their base. I wonder what percentage of Texas voters will watch more than 2 of those debates.

Cruz wants them all to be on Friday nights, so I'm guessing basically no one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spacebump posted:

Cruz wants them because he still is a college debate club loser who thinks ~once I get him on MY turf I'll skewer him with my logic and reason~ but for some reason hasn't loving killed himself after Trump took a poo poo in his mouth when he tried that on the national election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like I said Cruz doesn’t really seem to have much to gain from any debates, much less several. So either he's shook or he's demanding this over the strident objections of his staff. Or it could be that all the Beto-Kennedy connections the media keeps making has reminded him to maximize the number of chances to get his dad involved

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if my opponent REALLY cared about Texas he'd take a driving tour of Dallas....Say at 5 pm on Friday.

Dad get the van.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

I'm trying to make sense of it too and that's all I've come up with. I'm going by the "rando Cruz supporter on Reddit" rule which is that the debates will finally be the moment Beto exposes himself (not in that way) for who he really is. Well, the Cruz crew is having trouble defining Beto, I think.

Campaigns always try to do that to their opponents. "Crooked Hillary" which worked very well. "Lyin' Ted" too for that matter. And traditionally Republicans have hardly needed to make the effort but it's just not "sticking" this time. That's my feeling.

Also does anyone else think the Beto signs look like the spicy ketchup packets at Whataburger?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm well I might've been reaching there's only kind of a resemblance:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean Cruz is a sleazy little goblin and a freak and he was a freak winner in 2012 anyways. He downright stole -- stole I say -- the election from its rightful owner, Lt. Gov. David "Squeeze the Allen Cops to Let Your Stepsister's Daugher-in-Law Out of Jail" Dewhurst.

Well, Cruz placed second in the first round then won a surprise victory in the runoff because the Tea Party people showed up in force. When he won the runoff most people outside of the Tea Party fanatics went "Ted who?" They had never heard of him and he was already set to be the state's next senator more or less by default, because his opponent after that was the entirely forgettable Paul Sadler who I still don't remember much about -- was he a lawyer or something? Paul "the Texas Hammer" Sadler maybe? Or a car salesman? Well it doesn't really matter. None of this matters.

--

Bonus. Local Republicans all bent out of shape because of Beto signs. Redacting their names because they're just ordinary schmoes except for Howell who is an elected official in the form of the county party chair, and this is a public group she administers (she also rules the group with an iron fist. Nobody gets called a RINO on her watch.).

In public: Cruz has got this in the bag lol libtards

In private (or quasi-private): THERE ARE TOO loving MANY BETO SIGNS :supaburn:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 28, 2018

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
If I was Cruz I wouldn't start with yard signs until September. Nobody is thinking about the election.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
No one really likes Cruz. When I was testing driving cars last year one of the salesman was the former sunday school teacher of Ted Cruz. The salesman, not knowing my politics, politely suggested that Ted was really smart but "disagreeable" even then.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'm trying to make sense of it too and that's all I've come up with. I'm going by the "rando Cruz supporter on Reddit" rule which is that the debates will finally be the moment Beto exposes himself (not in that way) for who he really is. Well, the Cruz crew is having trouble defining Beto, I think.

Campaigns always try to do that to their opponents. "Crooked Hillary" which worked very well. "Lyin' Ted" too for that matter. And traditionally Republicans have hardly needed to make the effort but it's just not "sticking" this time. That's my feeling.

Also does anyone else think the Beto signs look like the spicy ketchup packets at Whataburger?

Yeah, the only real attempt I've seen to try and smear Beto more specifically than generic "uhhhhhh DEMONRAT" party-line stuff was some weaksauce poo poo about his name, and that doesn't seem to have stuck at all.

Beto's got a shot at this thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TropicalCoke posted:

If I was Cruz I wouldn't start with yard signs until September. Nobody is thinking about the election.

Despite what you may have heard, the Cruz campaign has started with yard signs. I've seen a few in different neighborhoods. People just don't want them in big numbers right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I mean Cruz is a sleazy little goblin and a freak and he was a freak winner in 2012 anyways. He downright stole -- stole I say -- the election from its rightful owner, Lt. Gov. David "Squeeze the Allen Cops to Let Your Stepsister's Daugher-in-Law Out of Jail" Dewhurst.

Well, Cruz placed second in the first round then won a surprise victory in the runoff because the Tea Party people showed up in force. When he won the runoff most people outside of the Tea Party fanatics went "Ted who?" They had never heard of him and he was already set to be the state's next senator more or less by default, because his opponent after that was the entirely forgettable Paul Sadler who I still don't remember much about -- was he a lawyer or something? Paul "the Texas Hammer" Sadler maybe? Or a car salesman? Well it doesn't really matter. None of this matters.

--

Bonus. Local Republicans all bent out of shape because of Beto signs. Redacting their names because they're just ordinary schmoes except for Howell who is an elected official in the form of the county party chair, and this is a public group she administers (she also rules the group with an iron fist. Nobody gets called a RINO on her watch.).

lol I forgot Hendrickson ran that hilarious spite scam

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Despite what you may have heard, the Cruz campaign has started with yard signs. I've seen a few in different neighborhoods. People just don't want them in big numbers right now.

Yah I see them too. But I still see more Trump signs than anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1023207746454384642

This guy taught Supreme Court litigation at UT law and used slander and free speech in the same sentence

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

--

In Carrollton/Lewisville I haven't seen any Cruz signs. Maybe that's why the denton county democratic party is moving to Lewisville. I worry if that will leave the focus off of the younger families pouring into Denton though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1023207746454384642

This guy taught Supreme Court litigation at UT law and used slander and free speech in the same sentence

"Yes this man has pushed a baseless conspiracy theory that my father literally murdered a man, but I am a spineless coward too terrified of my base and losing power to have principles."

-Ted Cruz

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I can't wait for Cruz to start skipping debates when he starts losing them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LYIN' TED

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I can't wait for Cruz to start skipping debates when he starts losing them.

I can't wait for Cruz to go away entirely

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TropicalCoke posted:

Yah I see them too. But I still see more Trump signs than anything.

I've seen mostly Beto signs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My neighbor has a Beto sign.

It's currently tilting slightly as it's been out there for awhile. I will post updates as to the condition of the sign as I get them.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
I live in an area of Houston with a lot of wealthy white liberals and it's Beto and Litton signs as far as the eye can see. No Cruz signs, I think I may have seen one Trump sign once.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I've seen lots of Beto stickers on cars. Stickers. I've never seen stickers for a senate race before. But I am also dumb and unobservant.

Beto's got this locked in, folks.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'm in the burbs in Austin and all I see is Beto signs/stickers. Not really paying attention because I can't vote for another 2 years.. but.. hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
From what I've heard while working the primary, he excites the primary voters at least. I had little grandmothers basically wanting to adopt him as their son. Let's see if that's enough to overcome the sheer numbers that the Republicans have.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 29, 2018