Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

zone of the enders 2 was maybe one of the best mech games in space ever made, a notoriously crowded genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Survival games suck and there’s not a single good one, might as well manage a spreadsheet

Same with MMOs

unpopular but true and correct opinions

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

signalnoise posted:

RAGE is better than people give it credit for

Rage is a GREAT example of what happens when you take the borderlands story and try to do it SUPER SERIOUSLY!

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
pretty big gamble if the administration plans on perusing student loan non-forgiveness

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dross posted:

The way averages work means games have always appealed to adults.

Does it? Because the average age of a gamer has gottnen older overtime with it being 19 25 years ago.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Survival games suck and there’s not a single good one, might as well manage a spreadsheet

Same with MMOs

Subnautica is good but that's despite being a survival game.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 29, 2018

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

1redflag posted:

Zone of the Enders 2 is overrated. Like, it's a good yet forgettable game, but people act like it was the best game ever made and I just don't see it.

Zone of the Enders has that special place in fans' hearts as a franchise that never actually took off and stay long enough to have to withstand people developing better taste.

EDIT: Then again Kojima is still praised I think so I maybe vastly overestimating gamers here.

EDIT2: Speaking of Kojima, Death Stranding is going to be a trash fire unless you like lovely monkeycheese humor ruining the tone of the lovely dour writing.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 29, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There are countless lock-on mech action games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Death Stranding will either be incredible or poo poo. Nothing in between.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

No it's 100% going to suck but it has the sort of surreal and self-serious tone that's going to make obnoxious people defend it to death

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lean button is good

punk rebel ecks posted:

death stranding is not a game at all, it's an art piece consisting of a series of bizarre e3 videos

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It is the bastard child that shouldnt be had Konami not lost their poo poo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Final fantasy tactics is the best game I never want to play again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Final fantasy tactics is the best game I never want to play again.

:same:

i have great memories of that game but i have absolutely no interest in playing it again

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Outpost was unfinished, but was pretty cool even in its broken state, and deserves a fixed open source clone.

The best space 4x is Reunion, by grandslam software.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hope it shows up Kojima for the writer hack that he is.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Same with MMOs

stalker: shadow of chernobyl is a good survival game

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does it? Because the average age of a gamer has gottnen older overtime with it being 19 25 years ago.

If it was 19 25 years ago then it appealed to adults then too. Realize that an average of 19 means that either

mean: for every year a gamer is younger than 19, a gamer is older than 19 — meaning that 25 years ago when I was 11, somewhere out there was a 27 year old (or two 23year olds, or whatever) to counterbalance me

Or

median: for every gamer under 19 there is a gamer over 19, meaning >50% of gamers were adults even then.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Shibawanko posted:

Outpost was unfinished, but was pretty cool even in its broken state, and deserves a fixed open source clone.
The people haaaaate you commander!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Death stranding is already weirdly offputting

Why is he carrying around babies in amber cocoons. Why does he have a magic flashlight that can spot ghosts. Why is it the guy from Walking Dead

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Death Stranding will be the standard Kojkma masterpiece. 4-8 hours of gameplay and 20 hours of wonderful cutscenes.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

SpazmasterX posted:

Death Stranding will be the standard Kojkma masterpiece. 4-8 hours of gameplay and 20 hours of terrible cutscenes ripping off other, possibly terrible, works.

FTFY

Remember the homage to Mr and Mrs Smith in MGS4? Ugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Marry me Meryl.

No... Marry me

*shits pants*

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Death Stranding is already a better game than the majority discussed itt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It'll probably be dumb but I'm gonna love every minute of it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Cyber troopers virtual on was a masterpiece

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

!Klams posted:

Cyber troopers virtual on was a masterpiece

Agreed. Never did get a chance to play the sequel for Dreamcast

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

There are countless lock-on mech action games.

*chortles* im pretty sure you can count them

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
GTA 1 and 2 are the only good GTA games.

Hideo Kojima is completely tone deaf when it comes to writing.

Saints Row IV is the best open world game ever made.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 30, 2018

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

YagotmeIdidit posted:

I hope it shows up Kojima for the writer hack that he is.
What are you saying, intercutting your game with dull ramblings on some totally fascinating concept you read about on wikipedia once doesn't mean it has deep visionary themes??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Mgs1-4 are masterpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGtY9wuUNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrsPUoZl-6Q

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Supergiant Games need to go back to making fun games like Bastion instead of interactive books with minigames.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I still have no idea why game makers feel the need to hide content behind literal dozens of hours of grinding. Oh, you want that cool new moveset? Well, you'll have to use the starter move set for 20+ hours of game time until you have completely "mastered" it (read: filling up an arbitrary usage bar) before you can try the new set out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think I like GTAIV more than GTAV. I think the story and characters are more interesting right off the bat, it's not as self-aware, I do actually like the car handling more and Liberty City feels like it has a lot more character than Los Santos. Liberty City neighborhoods felt more real to me.

Both games suffer, though, from a lot of real estate but not a lot of interiors to explore, though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I like GTAIV more than GTAV. I think the story and characters are more interesting right off the bat, it's not as self-aware, I do actually like the car handling more and Liberty City feels like it has a lot more character than Los Santos. Liberty City neighborhoods felt more real to me.

Both games suffer, though, from a lot of real estate but not a lot of interiors to explore, though.

I agree with all of this

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

1redflag posted:

I still have no idea why game makers feel the need to hide content behind literal dozens of hours of grinding. Oh, you want that cool new moveset? Well, you'll have to use the starter move set for 20+ hours of game time until you have completely "mastered" it (read: filling up an arbitrary usage bar) before you can try the new set out.

Because then the game won't have +30 hours of "content" and 15-year-old aspies are going to dogpile your game.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Mgs1-4 are masterpieces.

you can get a PS3, RDR, the metal gear collection (1-4), and TLOU on ebay for well under $100 now if any master race cardholders want to clear that backlog

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

1redflag posted:

in traditional RPGs it's about a sense of progression and character building usually alongside a narrative but this all goes out the window with MMOs where you've got thousands of players racing to skip all the content as fast as possible and arbitrary timesinks become a tool of game balance

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

MGS4 single-handedly killed almost all of my enjoyment for anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MGS4 was terrible.