Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Extinction was really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Nanette is legit awful.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Does Sean Bridgers ever play a non-creep?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Extinction was really bad.

I made it 30 minutes and said "gently caress this poo poo"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My enjoyment of things must be rear end backwards because I thought that Forest Whittaker joint that everyone is making GBS threads on was pretty good, and Extinction “Netflix finally made a good sci fi movie” was total garbage.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Extinction was pretty good. It's a pretty engaging story with a solid cast of characters and some interesting twists and turns.

I'd compare it to that Jared Leto yakuza flick in terms of quality, good but not great. It's the kind of movie that I always like to see pop up on netflix, decent movies with an interesting concept that would never have gotten a theatrical release.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else find the dynamic of the town vs Henry Deaver in Castle Rock to be completely ridiculous?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Extinction just can't compete with Annihilation

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
But after 6 rewatches I need a palate cleanser

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else find the dynamic of the town vs Henry Deaver in Castle Rock to be completely ridiculous?

I’m enjoying the show, but I find it really strange that everyone assumes this little kid that was missing for 11 days murdered his father. No sympathy for the kid that lost his dad and has no memory of the event? Obviously something hosed up happened to him too.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Smoking on Netflix is loving nuts. It's about a group of wandering assassins who capture and flay the tatoos of really awful yakuza dudes while they're still alive. You don't really need to know any more than that to decide if it's something you wanna watch.

It's kinda like an edgier japanese take on the A Team

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 28, 2018

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

tweet my meat posted:

Smoking is loving nuts. It's about a group of wandering assassins who capture and flay the tatoos of really awful yakuza dudes while they're still alive. You don't really need to know any more than that to decide if it's something you wanna watch.

It's kinda like an edgier japanese take on the A Team

At work right now; what's it streaming on?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

C2C - 2.0 posted:

At work right now; what's it streaming on?

Netflix. I caught a few episodes before and it’s pretty good.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

remigious posted:

I’m enjoying the show, but I find it really strange that everyone assumes this little kid that was missing for 11 days murdered his father. No sympathy for the kid that lost his dad and has no memory of the event? Obviously something hosed up happened to him too.

I think unreasonably aggressive townies is a King staple.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I think unreasonably aggressive townies is a King People Living in Maine staple.

Seriously, they have that New Englander standoffishness cranked to 11.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah given the situation, I think it's absolutely bizarre that the towns reaction (not even the younger generation who has turned it into an urban myth, but the people who were there and have a basic idea of what happened) was "this kid's dad died looking for him while he disappeared under mysterious circumstances. It's all the kids fault! The kid must have been doing a prank! Let's also never let this go and continue to bring it up every time we see him 30 years later!" It defies all common sense on every level.

Also, I find it really weird how mad Henry is that the sheriff is taking care of/is involved with his mom. He is always portrayed as this good guy, he is close with the family and he saved Henry when he was a kid, but Henry is super pissed that he is taking care of his dementia ridden mother for no reason. You'd think he'd be happy about it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 29, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It really is crazy how similar Smoking is to A Team. You've got this band of 4 plucky outlaws led by a cigar smoking leader using violence and wits to get back at the bad guys.

The only real difference is that they abduct and torture the bad guy of the week after the "I love it when a plan comes together" moment.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

In extinction I like that the dreams are a total coincidence to the invasion that happens after the fact

It felt like an extra long episode of black mirror, both in terms of twist and production value

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 29, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

tweet my meat posted:

The Belko Experiment on the HBO streaming catalogue is pretty fun. Don't go in expecting a good movie, it's tasteless and schlocky.

This movie is pure B movie battle royale trash, and if that's what you go in expecting, you'll have a blast. If you're as big a sucker for the battle royale/most dangerous game type setups as I am, you should definitely check it out since it's a very pure battle royale movie unlike a series like hunger games, which focuses less and less on the battle royale gimmick as time goes on.

I'd put it above The Condemned if I was ranking BR movies, but not by a whole lot.

Fair warning, it was written by James Gunn, so if that's an issue for you then steer clear.

I would agree with this. Still mad the untagged girl bit it so unceremoniously though.

What are some other decent battle royale movies? I went through a BR phase after reading BR almost a decade ago but kind of fell off since then.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

In Castle Rock, it was my impression that Henry and his father went out together, the father was found at the bottom of a cliff, and Henry was missing. That could be wrong but it could also be more of a scenario where Henry could be blamed.. plus we're seeing bits of Henry being hostile toward his father, so who knows how their relationship was publicly

And also racism

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Chaotic Flame posted:

I would agree with this. Still mad the untagged girl bit it so unceremoniously though.

What are some other decent battle royale movies? I went through a BR phase after reading BR almost a decade ago but kind of fell off since then.

Decent isn't a word I'd use to describe the genre, but there's some fun stuff out there.

There's the original battle royale movies, the condemned movies (pure trash, but stupid fun, first one stars stone cold!), hunger games trilogy which has a lot of fun gimmicks for the battles, running man, series 7:the contenders, the tournament, and probably some more lovely direct to video movies I'm forgetting about.

I'm going off old info from my personal BR phase(s) so I can't remember everything super well and mostly just remember the more well known ones.

Another movie you would probably like if you enjoy the office setting with the office politics subtext is Mayhem. It stars Steven Yeun and the basic plot is that there's a virus that causes people to go berserk to the point they have to shutter and contain the building where the outbreak happened leaving the occupants to kill each other off. It's a little more The Raid/Dredd than pure battle royale, but the spirit of normal people hunting each other down is there.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I think unreasonably aggressive townies is a King staple.

Hell is being a nerdy kid in a King story, the bullies are always psychopaths to a ridiculous degree.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I feel like this is a movie most people will hate but I just finished Cure For Wellness and thought it was very creepy and was beautifully shot. It’s streaming on HBO.

The basic premise is that a man is sent by his company to retrieve a coworker from a recovery clinic in the Swiss Alps and as it turns out everything there is not on the up and up.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 29, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Tainen posted:

I feel like this is a movie most people will hate but I just finished Cure For Wellness and thought it was very creepy and was beautifully shot. It’s streaming on HBO.

The basic premise is that a man is sent by his company to retrieve a coworker from a recovery clinic in the Swiss Alps and as it turns out everything there is not on the up and up.

I agree that this was beautifully shot, but the story is extremely well trod ground and the 2 hour 30 minute runtime is completely unjustified.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I loved A Cure For Wellness. The visuals were good enough that I didn't really want it to end so the length didn't bother me.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah given the situation, I think it's absolutely bizarre that the towns reaction (not even the younger generation who has turned it into an urban myth, but the people who were there and have a basic idea of what happened) was "this kid's dad died looking for him while he disappeared under mysterious circumstances. It's all the kids fault! The kid must have been doing a prank! Let's also never let this go and continue to bring it up every time we see him 30 years later!" It defies all common sense on every level.

Also, I find it really weird how mad Henry is that the sheriff is taking care of/is involved with his mom. He is always portrayed as this good guy, he is close with the family and he saved Henry when he was a kid, but Henry is super pissed that he is taking care of his dementia ridden mother for no reason. You'd think he'd be happy about it.

Pangborn's an odd factor in the narrative for me so far, because he's such a established character with loads of baggage surrounded by new creations. We know that Castle Rock takes place within the greater King continuity with the nods to Cujo andthe warden from Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption blowing his brains out, but if that's the case, did this Pangborn encounter George Stark from The Dark Half? Obviously this is set in a different continuity than Needful Things (as he’s no longer sheriff and Castle Rock isn’t a smoldering ember), but how out there has this version of Pangborn gotten into the realm of the supernatural?

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 29, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

tweet my meat posted:

Decent isn't a word I'd use to describe the genre, but there's some fun stuff out there.

There's the original battle royale movies, the condemned movies (pure trash, but stupid fun, first one stars stone cold!), hunger games trilogy which has a lot of fun gimmicks for the battles, running man, series 7:the contenders, the tournament, and probably some more lovely direct to video movies I'm forgetting about.

I'm going off old info from my personal BR phase(s) so I can't remember everything super well and mostly just remember the more well known ones.

Another movie you would probably like if you enjoy the office setting with the office politics subtext is Mayhem. It stars Steven Yeun and the basic plot is that there's a virus that causes people to go berserk to the point they have to shutter and contain the building where the outbreak happened leaving the occupants to kill each other off. It's a little more The Raid/Dredd than pure battle royale, but the spirit of normal people hunting each other down is there.

Thanks for this!

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I'm confused because you are all discussing a Stephen King adaptation as if it were actually good but that cannot be the case

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

old.flv posted:

I'm confused because you are all discussing a Stephen King adaptation as if it were actually good but that cannot be the case

It's set in the Stephen King shared universe but it's original content. Very different.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

old.flv posted:

Didn't IT just come out?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It:The Clown Movie was very very good. Castle Rock is slightly less good but still a good show with an interesting premise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

old.flv posted:

You should check out a movie called The Shining. Might be kind of hard to get ahold of, being somewhat obscure.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

old.flv posted:

wtf Carrie is great

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Unrelated to the topic of good King adaptations, is The Langoliers streaming anywhere?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Fart City posted:

You should check out a movie called The Shining. Might be kind of hard to get ahold of, being somewhat obscure.

If you're really lucky you might get ahold of Shawshanks Redemption or Misery too.
Or The Running Man, starring some weird foreigner with an atrocious accent, wonder if he ever did anything else.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shawshank Redemption

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Underground movie sensation The Green Mile

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Medullah posted:

It's set in the Stephen King shared universe but it's original content. Very different.

hmmm maybe I'll have to check it out

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Hat Thoughts posted:

Didn't IT just come out?

I thought it was alright :shrug: but I'm not going to remember it.

Lots of folks have rightly name-dropped classic movies that were originally King stories but I simply can't get excited for anything 'based on a Stephen King story' that's been put out the past twenty years.

I have yet to watch the Dark Tower and I just...I just don't think I can do it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tweet my meat posted:

Mayhem is loving amazing, I just want to second this rec.