Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

It cannot be stopped. We're doomed to a dystopia worse than all those movie and video game dystopias like half life.
Except the matrix... thats different.
Where do I draw the line as to what stage i decide to end it

Don't let your life go to waste. Try to take some capitalists with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah cyberpunk sold us this idea that we'd all have cool arm guns and data jacks that allow us to surf the net with our minds but it will just be the slow death of the earth.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Earth will be fine. It has survived worse.

Humans are TURBO hosed.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

Earth will be fine. It has survived worse.

Humans are TURBO hosed.

remember how in ww2 they decided some of the methods used in the great war were too inhumane to be used against declared belligerents, but weren't too inhumane to use against colonized populations? my greatest fear is mankind deciding to do ww3 anyway but having the restraint to use nuclear weapons either not at all or only against certain populations

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Former DILF posted:

remember how in ww2 they decided some of the methods used in the great war were too inhumane to be used against declared belligerents, but weren't too inhumane to use against colonized populations? my greatest fear is mankind deciding to do ww3 anyway but having the restraint to use nuclear weapons either not at all or only against certain populations

I mean I don't think you can really "selectively" use nukes like that, even a small exchange of them would put enough smoke and fire into the upper atmosphere to gently caress the climate up real bad for a while.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean I don't think you can really "selectively" use nukes like that, even a small exchange of them would put enough smoke and fire into the upper atmosphere to gently caress the climate up real bad for a while.

If I personally were ever in charge, I would only nuke canadians and finns.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That seemed like an odd bit in the article. I was in the military at that time, and we definitely all received medication for free, as did our dependents. Special Force folks would probably have no problem getting in to see the doctor either, I imagine their optempo allowed them to bump the list quite easily. The free medical was one of the best benefits of being in the military. In fact many military members are "trapped" in the military because they have a spouse or child with a costly or debilitating illness. It was even worse at that time because of pre-existing condition clauses, a lot of people got trapped doing a job they despise.

The army was feeding you fish motrin

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

localized thermonuclear war

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay.
Let's kick up enough dust to counteract global warming.

I'm not a science guy but this is a good plan.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Senor Dog posted:

If I personally were ever in charge, I would only nuke canadians and finns.

So, like, 18 people?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Inzombiac posted:

Okay.
Let's kick up enough dust to counteract global warming.

I'm not a science guy but this is a good plan.

One counter greenhouse plan was basically 'Dump huge amounts of powdered iron into the southern ocean'. I forget the specifics but it was declared unfeasible for some reason. What I'm saying is nuclear de-greenhousing sounds fine.

'Southern ocean iron enrichment'

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The best-chance plan I've heard is the "spray sulphur dioxide from airliners" because it can be done pretty cheaply and stopped if it turns out it fucks everything up.

Also because chemtrail people latched on to it real hard and claim it's already secretly happening, and actually having it implemented at scale would make their heads explode which would be real funny

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

comedyblissoption posted:

localized thermonuclear war

locally sourced organic thermonuclear war

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Anything that triggers the flat earth chem trail loonies is A-okay in my book.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That seemed like an odd bit in the article. I was in the military at that time, and we definitely all received medication for free, as did our dependents. Special Force folks would probably have no problem getting in to see the doctor either, I imagine their optempo allowed them to bump the list quite easily. The free medical was one of the best benefits of being in the military. In fact many military members are "trapped" in the military because they have a spouse or child with a costly or debilitating illness. It was even worse at that time because of pre-existing condition clauses, a lot of people got trapped doing a job they despise.

Yeah, I was dating/married to a Marine around that time, and it hit me as odd as well. But either way, if they're reporting it as a true thing, then why ignore the whole actual problem?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

See thats why it makes so much sense, all that poo poo in the atmosphere just forces us to make space stations down here and make it "easier" for practical offworld settlement, in the same way that wearing a gasmask is easier than breathing Phosgene

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

She did goat yoga this morning. She is p dumb

I dunno. If I had to do a yoga, that sounds like the one I'd choose.

If it does not involve little goat kids jumping all over me while I do yoga poses, please do not correct my misunderstanding.

e: VV Awesome! VV

Wifi Toilet has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jul 29, 2018

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wifi Toilet posted:

If it does not involve little goat kids jumping all over me while I do yoga poses, please do not correct my misunderstanding.

Don't worry, you have a perfect understanding of the situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFz9FJxMFjE&t=36s

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Former DILF posted:

See thats why it makes so much sense, all that poo poo in the atmosphere just forces us to make space stations down here and make it "easier" for practical offworld settlement, in the same way that wearing a gasmask is easier than breathing Phosgene

The reason this is the hell timeline is that we won’t even get one of the cool badass dystopias where the remaining humans are all rugged, hardscrabble survivors who loot the ruins of civilization for spare parts to sustain their underground temple-cities

Instead we’re all just going to get politely but firmly told to go gently caress ourselves by stupid monolithic corporations with dumb mascots.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

otoh mankind might just be a bootloader for AI and we need to go through these conflicts to fulfill our unfortunate destiny

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Former DILF posted:

otoh mankind might just be a bootloader for AI and we need to go through these conflicts to fulfill our unfortunate destiny

The only kind of AI we will ever produce is AM from I Have No Mouth. I mean hell DARPA already has a set goal of "a drone that can identify targets and make kill decisions completely autonomously" by 2040

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We're gonna make AI murder drones that can't escape their primary purpose and keep mankind alive just so they have something to kill because it's all they're capable of doing and once they run out they'll cease to function

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

We're gonna make AI murder drones that can't escape their primary purpose and keep mankind alive just so they have something to kill because it's all they're capable of doing and once they run out they'll cease to function

I liked Nier: Automata too!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I liked Nier: Automata too!

Yeah I realized after the fact that it was pretty much just that lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi is a pretty realistic look at a corporate dystopia in a completely ecologically hosed up place (the US)

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The only kind of AI we will ever produce is AM from I Have No Mouth. I mean hell DARPA already has a set goal of "a drone that can identify targets and make kill decisions completely autonomously" by 2040

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wifi Toilet posted:

e: VV Awesome! VV

I honestly just thought it was a long running joke from John Tesh but nope apparently millennials really do pay $$$ to go to a farm and do yoga with livestock

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

America is already the largest and one of the most productive economies on earth. Sometimes I shudder at night thinking about what would happen if it were to get the trash out of its gears and run at full potential by implementing a functioning healthcare system or reintroduce social mobility. The workforce becoming more competitive through preventive healthcare or meritocracy leading to more talented, capable and ambitious people in important positions. I'm shuddering right now. Better let sleeping giants lie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
youd probably start more wars tbh

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

America is already the largest and one of the most productive economies on earth. Sometimes I shudder at night thinking about what would happen if it were to get the trash out of its gears and run at full potential by implementing a functioning healthcare system or reintroduce social mobility. The workforce becoming more competitive through preventive healthcare or meritocracy leading to more talented, capable and ambitious people in important positions. I'm shuddering right now. Better let sleeping giants lie.

Crisis of overproduction

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Airburst enhanced-radiation weapons wouldn't cause a nuclear winter and would mostly localise fallout in a small area.

Or, as Jello Biafra proposed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

quote:

Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home
The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight
Gonna kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor tonight
Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone, feel free again
Oh, life's a breeze with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's…

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

It depends a lot on what we mean by “small” and “selective” here. Like, we’ve (all countries) set off hundreds of nuclear bombs in the atmosphere or at ground level just for testing purposes and most of the tests didn’t kill anybody.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
nuclear winter isnt about nukes its about burning cities and its probably bullshit anyway

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mercrom posted:

nuclear winter isnt about nukes its about burning cities and its probably bullshit anyway

Maybe, maybe not.

https://www.nature.com/scientificamerican/journal/v302/n1/full/scientificamerican0110-74.html

Pirate Radar posted:

It depends a lot on what we mean by “small” and “selective” here. Like, we’ve (all countries) set off hundreds of nuclear bombs in the atmosphere or at ground level just for testing purposes and most of the tests didn’t kill anybody.

Under controlled circumstances when the bombs couldn't trigger the critical scenario.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I guess an India-Pakistan fight would be small and selective compared to the “big one” of US-Russia, yeah.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

is pepsi ok posted:

Don't let your life go to waste. Try to take some capitalists with you.

I totally will. Deciding who is the hard part.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hallmark for rear end in a top hat bosses store?