Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

what did albo do this time?

Bought into the News Corpse hype that he was Labor’s Chosen One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I have some friends who are baked-on Albo fans and it's a real weird cult of personality I think

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Looking forward to someone eating a Chico roll with cutlery

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Recoome posted:

I have some friends who are baked-on Albo fans and it's a real weird cult of personality I think

Yeah, I don’t get it.

But I hate everything to do with Sydney and NSW. So that could have something to do with it.

Victoria and Bill Shorten for life!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Like anyone in Caboolture has a job.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Albo took a shot at the right faction but it was about the party presidency/national conference and not the leadership

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

Albo took a shot at the right faction but it was about the party presidency/national conference and not the leadership

Wasn't his 'shot at the right faction' telling them to go through with Turnbull's absurd tax cuts for big businesses and not repeal them like Shorten wanted?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I have eaten pie with knife and fork because it was too hot. The Prime Minister is a great man.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

snoremac posted:

I have eaten pie with knife and fork because it was too hot. The Prime Minister is a great man.

:wrong:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You Am I posted:

This image makes me feel so good this morning
Forgot to switch accounts Dane Cook?

JBP posted:

I'm on holiday right now but I understand Bill Shorten has achieved a "stunning victory". Who did he fight?
A particularly wet paper bag wearing a tin can topper.
I'm the big fat poo poo totally not assaulting the dissident.

In continuing schadenfreude:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-29/drought-hit-farmers-urged-to-apply-for-assistance-payment/10047686

quote:

Many struggling families have raised concerns about the significant paperwork required to apply for the payment.

The Scott family in Yeoval, in drought-affected New South Wales, described months spent dealing with bureaucratic red tape. They are still yet to be approved for the payment.

Last time they put a separate line in Centerlink just for the farmers...

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gentleman Baller posted:

Wasn't his 'shot at the right faction' telling them to go through with Turnbull's absurd tax cuts for big businesses and not repeal them like Shorten wanted?

No in the speech that set the whole thing off he said that the party should democratise more because a lot of branch members aren’t in unions because they’re professionals or small business owners (shudder). This was just after the party presidency vote and “democratising” is something the left pushes for all the time.

In the same speech he also said that the ALP doesn’t have to agree with business on company tax rates, which the media interpreted as supporting cutting company tax rates.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

they are all white except one out of focus dude

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

quote:

For months the media story was that Labor leader Bill Shorten could be destroyed by today's byelections.

But with almost everything running for the Turnbull Government - media coverage, the Emma Husar scandal, Anthony Albanese needling Shorten, One Nation preferences switching to the Liberals in Longman - Labor has won Longman easily and will probably win Braddon, too, if these trends hold.

So now we should talk about the real leadership dud: Malcolm Turnbull.How could this have gone so badly? Are the Liberals really sure that Turnbull can now lead them to victory?

For one, the media narrative this year that Shorten would be blown away must and will now change. How much longer can this farcical denial continue?

Remember how Shorten would lose the Batman byelection, be blown out of the water by the Liberals' tax cuts, by knifed by Albanese and, now, lose Longman or Braddon, or both?

Memo to media: as Shorten proved at the federal electiion, he is a much better campaigner than the knockers claim. The Liberals should now realise that pinning hope on Shorten's alleged unpopularity and relying on a kill-Bill strategy is simply no subsitute for having the right policies, right lines and right results.
Bolt refusing to toe the News Corp line because he still can’t forgive the knifing of Our Tony. The result is...accurate analysis.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's fairly commonplace for the far right to identify the correct symptoms (eg chronic underemployment, wage stagnation, unaffordable housing) but then completely gently caress up identifying the cause (eg immigrants instead of capitalism). Centrists on the other hand gently caress up identifying both symptoms and cause, but at least they don't incite pogroms.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Even hack journos will take the opportunity to tell the truth when they think they can get away with it.

This whole media narrative was clearly lifted from the BBC/Guardian anti-Corbyn playbook. It didn't work there and it won't work here. It's about time the CPG and by extension other pundits and commentators admit that selective polling and a coordinated narrative isn't enough to convince people to vote against their interests.

All continuing is going to do is errode public confidence in the news outlets. That and lull smoothbrained back benchers into a false sense of security about their re-election chances

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

snoremac posted:

Bolt refusing to toe the News Corp line because he still can’t forgive the knifing of Our Tony. The result is...accurate analysis.
Yeah Latham's piece today about the byelections was surprisingly accurate too (people hate major parties).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Slashing red tape! except for proles

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Nah the truth is that people will agree with ALP's policy platform but will deny it as soon as some opinion poll or journalism frames their platform as pinko immigration space communism with african gangs. However even if they do deny it when it comes to the vote they will absolutely vote for pinko immigration space communism with african gangs.

Because despite this frame that One Nation or commentators use against the Labor or Green platform, what cuts through is obvious results that benefit families ect.

The only way I can think of ONP to ALP preferences actually existing like this is some people will claim to support ONP in the regional areas in conversation to fit in with the vocal minority but actually self sabotage ONP actually pushing things to the right in a polling booth.

The current Queensland Government is getting results and as Antony Green said, Longman is basically voting the same way they did at the State Election because they have evidence already that Labor is getting results and therefore don't have the means to distrust Shorten's Platform.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Forgot to switch accounts Dane Cook?

Why do young liberal women have such large foreheads?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
there are a number of factors influencing the hire of a liberal staffer - education, experience, their performance in the interview, and results of extensive tests conducted by an experienced phrenologist

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

gently caress that's made my day. cheers

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

dsriggs posted:

Ms. Robertson continuing the Eastern tradition of bashing Adelaide for things that happened over 100 years ago. Way to get people on your side.

She was not making fun of the rancid river

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexanderDowner/status/1023109929022808064

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Quote of the by election. "You seem misinformed." Jokes on you, that was a Downer you were speaking to.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That was a bit of a downer.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Beetphyxious posted:

That was a bit of a downer.
Your humour? can't be, Beet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUoADEsE4ZU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-29/starting-gun-fired-in-federal-election-race-for-mayo/10048744

quote:

The starting gun has been fired in Georgina Downer's bid to become the member for Mayo at next year's federal election, with the political newcomer's attention firmly focused on returning the blue ribbon seat to the Liberals.
While votes are still being counted, Centre Alliance MP Rebekha Sharkie has retained Mayo in the Super Saturday by-election with a clear swing in her favour.
Ms Downer said she would formally nominate for Liberal preselection tomorrow.
"[Mayo] is an electorate that's in my bones," Ms Downer said.
"We are at a critical point here in South Australia [and] for too long we haven't had the job opportunities here.
"I put my hand up for [preselection] last night … and I am 100 per cent committed to standing in Mayo again next year."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Cartoon posted:

I'm the big fat poo poo totally not assaulting the dissident.

That fat gently caress is the liberal candidate for Braddon, Brett Whiteley.

He wanted that mans vote, so he used standover tactics to shut the citizen up.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-28/whiteley-not-conceding-defeat-in-braddon-yet/10047564

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Brett Whitely can also be seen in this famous gif:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Because phrenology.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

To keep their brains from escaping.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

To keep their brains from escaping.
Flawed by design

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

More like fiveheads.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Fringes have been haram since that slut Betty Page wore them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/wheelswordsmith/status/1023415231169486848?s=19

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

The only way I can think of ONP to ALP preferences actually existing like this is some people will claim to support ONP in the regional areas in conversation to fit in with the vocal minority but actually self sabotage ONP actually pushing things to the right in a polling booth.

The current Queensland Government is getting results and as Antony Green said, Longman is basically voting the same way they did at the State Election because they have evidence already that Labor is getting results and therefore don't have the means to distrust Shorten's Platform.

Or it could just be something as simple as the ONP going completely missing and the local candidate not enthusing the electorate, because they really don't have a narrative that works against the federal ALP any more than the Qld government. As far as its base went, ONP did ok, but they have to convince everyone else and clearly couldn't.

But the message of the weekend is obviously how on the nose the LNP vote is, and how strong independents are now. Even in the Perth and Fremantle electorates we're not supposed to care about, the striking fact is not so much a reasonable ALP swing, but the massive LNP swing against (although the swing against the Greens in those seats are also a story that should be told).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIe8yeKs6Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aI1Mdur04I

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Look at this example of how loving retarded humanity is.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-29/vicforests-says-experiment-very-likely-to-kill-greater-glider/10025588 posted:

A government-owned logging company is conducting a controversial experiment expected to kill native animals that are already heading toward extinction, the ABC can reveal.

VicForests is owned by the Victorian Government and logs native forests for profit under exemptions to federal environment law.

It is now logging parts of East Gippsland forest at different intensities to measure survival rates of the threatened greater gliders that call it home.

VicForests argued the research would assist the conservation of the species, but acknowledged it was likely to kill some of them.

What kind of loving pieces of poo poo think this is the right way to do anything. I think we should run a study to see how resilient VicForests staff and Victorian politicians are when we destroy parts of their houses with them inside. Sure, some may die, but in the end we'll have a lot of useful data about how much of their habitat we can ruin before they go extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're animals.

• Locked thread