Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

big nipples big life posted:

Here's a gem from that old thread

croberts lying that he had landed on a carrier in game in 2012.

:lol:

He was talking about the Crytek-made kickstarter demo stage so it's not lying.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Look at this fair and balanced critique of the new feature length video.

Yes, obviously "CharlatanWonder" is calling CIG Nazis, that's the big takeaway.

"Your analogy doesn't work because I have crippling autism and complete cult indoctrination" is a pretty difficult to surmount argument.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Oh poo poo you guys must only be a couple hours from where I'm stationed now. That's in central Florida right?

Yeah that’s just outside of Orange City. There’s a couple Florida goons lurking in this thread actually

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah that’s just outside of Orange City. There’s a couple Florida goons lurking in this thread actually

Sup from Jax.

On a related topic I'm so glad for this game. I'm glad I got my money out when I did, but most of all I just love the train wreck and how the public is more and more turning against it, solidifying it's eventual failure and falling to obscurity. I just hope it takes some of these poo poo heads with it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Daztek posted:

doors, man

Corners and doors kid, corners and doors.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kikas posted:

Am i blind for not seeing "buying ships with in-game currency" there? Did they just flat out remove it?

Buying ships comes in, buying ships goes out. You can't explain that! Never a miscommunication.

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018
Why do I have this poo poo on my youtube front page?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

What have you people done to me???

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I missed the ground floor of those weird-rear end Astro Boy collage monstrosities, and can someone explain what the poo poo is up with those? Are they some elaborate joke I don't get? What is going on? :psyduck:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I missed the ground floor of those weird-rear end Astro Boy collage monstrosities, and can someone explain what the poo poo is up with those? Are they some elaborate joke I don't get? What is going on? :psyduck:

They are made by a non English speaking fan, who seems dangerously close to having a mental breakdown.

I hope they get help.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neltharak posted:

Sounds like a ripoff of my original game, do not steal: Planet Denizen :allears:

I think he has more problems from my legal team over the obvious passing off of ‘Stellar Villager’.

We’re well past the concept sketch stage and have transferred the gameplay loop from it’s napkin.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Star Citizen fan AdzAdama makes weird psychedelic photoshops that often paint CIG staff as near-godlike creative entities. As of late he's been using Astro Boy as a representation of his hopes, dreams, and to some degree his favourite ship in the game. The fact it seems like his favourite ship is going to get refactored is what often results in images where Astro Boy is being mistreated/saddened in some way.

Lladre posted:

They are made by a non English speaking fan, who seems dangerously close to having a mental breakdown.

I hope they get help.

At the risk of a "That's what I said" joke response, I thought Adz was just Australian.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Natron posted:

This is an interesting point, because not only are the materials not transferrable, if you're making a wooden building and the straw hut is there, you're actually adding extra work. Planning in architecture (or anything else really) is incredibly important, for this exact reason. Making a change when nothing is built is cheap and easy, because it's just lines in a CAD program. If you build a wall in your new house, put a floor in top of it, and then run electrical through it, when you want to take it out, you've actually created even more work than just putting in a wall there in the first place.

Tier 0 implementations, especially in a case like this, are loving stupid because you have to do the work to make it, then do more work to undo that work, THEN do what you should have done if you had a good plan from the beginning.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that CIG's project management may be less than adequate.

It’s a big step forward from having no project management to barely adequate.

One of the funniest things i ever heard when i was making crop circles was ‘how would they know how to make the shapes without being in the air?’. Geometry has been around since the first ape sighted down his arm. Some of the best designs are simply multi order symmetry and a tight plan.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Lladre posted:

I hope they get help.

Nah. If anything CIG needs to hit the gas pedal to make it happen faster. Because I am dying to see what kind of shoops our friend Adz makes once he goes flip-mode.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Tier one: AdzAdama simply is. Don’t overthink it.
Tier two: He’s produced a seriously compelling serious of collage composition with particular attention on color and motion that are thematically linked and contemporaneous, providing a window on the progress of Star Citizen.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
is it time for the quarterly release yet

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheSickeningTruth posted:

Why do I have this poo poo on my youtube front page?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

What have you people done to me???

Last week I got an ad for a kick-started belt at the top of my Gmail inbox page. The inevitable consequences of reading the Star Citizen thread.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Koil posted:

is it time for the quarterly release yet

As is tradition, any and all gameplay and promised features have been pushed to next Jesus patch. Citizens will proclaim that they have again released a patch on time while ignoring all the cuts.

Praise be!

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sample_text posted:

EDIT: Tried NMS Next. It still runs like crap on my PC, with constant hitching, low-range pop-in and massive hang-ups when I'm flying around the surface.
It looks prettier, sure. But the biggest issue since day one, the poo poo performance is still very much there.
I've looked around, apparently I'm not alone in this. Even tried manually setting the number of threads and CPU allocation in the cfg file (THAT Sample_Text)
So I guess they're running on CIG logic: If you have a PC three times the recommended settings, it MIGHT work?

So I gave it another shot.....
I had to step up my Kazam game and futz around with those config files some more, but I am now playing at a more or less stable 40 FPS.

NMS is .... okay, I guess?
If I didn't know the massive hype surrounding this thing I'd just pass it off as a " more soulless Starbound, in 3D".
Because that's basically what it feels like. The graphics have hit full uncanny valley for me at this point. Like, the buildings I'm constructing, the landscapes , the ships all pull off that 70's Sci Fi cover as done by Chris Foss look.
But... the plants, the wildlife the aliens, my own guy,.....they look like low quality cartoon models. It looks so... wrong.
And the game really does feel pointless, I'm not really invested in what I'm doing or why. In games like Starbound, or Subnautica, you have a hook, a goal. Here I'm not seeing it.
This game is a "meh/10" for me.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sample_text posted:

EDIT: Tried NMS Next. It still runs like crap on my PC, with constant hitching, low-range pop-in and massive hang-ups when I'm flying around the surface.
It looks prettier, sure. But the biggest issue since day one, the poo poo performance is still very much there.
I've looked around, apparently I'm not alone in this. Even tried manually setting the number of threads and CPU allocation in the cfg file (THAT Sample_Text)
So I guess they're running on CIG logic: If you have a PC three times the recommended settings, it MIGHT work?

I tried it too and for the 40 or so minutes it worked it was pretty good, much better than it used to be. But now, on launching any save, it immediately crashes my PC. So that's another thing Hello Games has stolen from CIG.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Star Citizen fan AdzAdama makes weird psychedelic photoshops that often paint CIG staff as near-godlike creative entities. As of late he's been using Astro Boy as a representation of his hopes, dreams, and to some degree his favourite ship in the game. The fact it seems like his favourite ship is going to get refactored is what often results in images where Astro Boy is being mistreated/saddened in some way.

At the risk of a "That's what I said" joke response, I thought Adz was just Australian.

Am I the only one who wants to know absolutely nothing about who AdzAdama is? It's enough that he is. Death of the Author, people!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm reading a website devoted to the pathology of parents whose kids estrange for various reasons and there's a section on narcissists, and this just leapt out at me with reference to certain Citizens:

quote:

Attempting to control the conversation

When the conversation turns in a direction that's not to the narcissist's liking, the narcissist wastes no time setting things right. Her tactics include:

* Ordering the other members to get back on topic and stop derailing the thread. This may involve creative reinterpretations of the thread topic.

* Selectively net-nannying the thread. For instance, criticizing her opponents for using swear words, but ignoring it when her allies swear.

* Ordering specific members out of the conversation. "Your contributions are not useful," "I don't understand why you're here. Why don't you find somewhere more to your liking?", "Do not respond to me again."

* Ordering entire groups of people out of the conversation. "I want to hear only from other mothers-in-law, not from daughters-in-law," "This thread is for writers, not reviewers."

* Accusing her opponents of being trolls or bullies. Narcissists define trolling and bullying as "persistently disagreeing with me."

* Reporting her opponents for personal attacks or forum violations. Narcissists' definitions of "attack" and "violation" are strangely similar to their definition of trolling.

* Deleting opponents' comments or entire threads, when the site allows it.

* Deleting their own comments and leaving the conversation.

* Starting the same conversation elsewhere on the same site in the hope that the "bullies" and "haters" will be satisfied with the other thread and leave them alone.

When all these maneuvers fail, a narcissist may go off-site to get public sympathy and support for the horrible, horrible bullying she suffered. Whatever happened to her was a systemic problem that gnaws at the roots of the social structure and threatens to bring the website, even an entire section of society, down.

Other sections are also applicable, especially the part about pet phrases.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sample_text posted:

So I gave it another shot.....
I had to step up my Kazam game and futz around with those config files some more, but I am now playing at a more or less stable 40 FPS.

NMS is .... okay, I guess?
If I didn't know the massive hype surrounding this thing I'd just pass it off as a " more soulless Starbound, in 3D".
Because that's basically what it feels like. The graphics have hit full uncanny valley for me at this point. Like, the buildings I'm constructing, the landscapes , the ships all pull off that 70's Sci Fi cover as done by Chris Foss look.
But... the plants, the wildlife the aliens, my own guy,.....they look like low quality cartoon models. It looks so... wrong.
And the game really does feel pointless, I'm not really invested in what I'm doing or why. In games like Starbound, or Subnautica, you have a hook, a goal. Here I'm not seeing it.
This game is a "meh/10" for me.

It comes down to whether or not you enjoy "exploring" a seeded algorithm.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
NMS is still a boring, pointless, lovely chore, but it does look a bit nicer

Also you can play it with your friends now. You know, just in case you had too many friends

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Baxta posted:

As is tradition, any and all gameplay and promised features have been pushed to next Jesus patch. Citizens will proclaim that they have again released a patch on time while ignoring all the cuts.
I love this tactic of theirs so much.

Like I don't want to go yell at them, because it's the purest expression of hope and belief. And as wonky as some of these wankers are, most of them just want a space game.

But shouting from the rooftops that 3.0 came out, it came out, it's out! When it didn't ever really come out, because 3.0 was a package containing X, Y and Z. None of which it had, no one cared about the specific number. Except them and their desperate groping for anything to cling to.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ewe2 posted:

I'm reading a website devoted to the pathology of parents whose kids estrange for various reasons and there's a section on narcissists, and this just leapt out at me with reference to certain Citizens:

Other sections are also applicable, especially the part about pet phrases.

It’s like the Starloop handbook, right there.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:reddit: posted:

Nobody let you down. The game is progressing steadily forward and has release its best patch ever. You are ABSORBED by negativity, so much so you literally can't even see what is right in front of you. You sour EVERYTHING you see, you spew acid on it coating it with your fury before you even have a chance to see how good it is, how positive it is for everyone.

You are the problem. Were you anything worse, you'd be a literal troll, but you seem to have been one of the converted. The trolls got you, and now they will never release you from their venomous jaws. I personally would hate them more than anything else were I in your position - but you aren't yet aware. Keep doing their work for them. Keep spewing forth negativity and supporting their agenda - to see Star Citizen's community SUFFER. That is what you are supporting.

Star Citizen: The Forums Experience is loving metal as hell, dude.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 29, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I wonder if that dickhead has stopped to consider that the whining is only endless because the development itself is endless.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

tooterfish posted:

I wonder if that dickhead has stopped to consider that the whining is only endless because the development itself is endless.
No, and that's actually kinda pointless, because in the best case scenario in their minds the development would be endless.

Remember THE DREAM OF STAR CITIZEN is an endless parade of consistently arriving patch after patch, building to "release" and then building ever forward to add more and MORE DREAMS. Never finished, never over, it just keeps happening. They can't see it as negative.

There's probably some great Starloop quotes G0rf can pull up on the topic.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
YouTube: Has Star Citizen Already Failed? Feat. MandaloreGaming and TheYamiks

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It was a personnel choice, kid

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

ewe2 posted:

I'm reading a website devoted to the pathology of parents whose kids estrange for various reasons and there's a section on narcissists, and this just leapt out at me with reference to certain Citizens

quote:

Rambling
Narcissists ramble. At length. I don’t mean they write normal rambling posts that start with a trip to the grocery store and wander off into thoughts about the global rice shortage, something someone said to you about international travel, and the trip to France you took last year. They write posts that are supposedly about a single topic, but which wander all over the place, loop around the central question several times, and end without ever coming to a conclusion—but the writer thinks they’ve done a fine job of explaining themselves. You can see examples in Sam Vaknin’s article libraries. It's the one-player version of being unable to follow a line of thought for more than an exchange or two.

And they’re long. Always, always long. Writing long seems to be a universal symbol of crazy, whether narcissism or schizophrenia or querulous litigancy. Narcissists can bring off unfunny little one-liners in forum conversations, but when faced with an empty post box, they're compelled to fill it until it runs over.

:laugh::thurman::bravo::thurman::laugh:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It's amusing and depressing in equal measures that your choice of smileys below the quote precisely reveals who you're talking about.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm the dude who marks out his edits in the vain hope that anyone is gonna read the wall of text he wrote that starts off with "You are a loving idiot"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

It’s like the Starloop handbook, right there.

The phrase "You are dismissed" keeps repeating in my mind for some reason, can't think why :v: If clinical narcissists are among the top whales, it would explain so much, including the impossible-to-acknowledge tension of defending people they are dependent on (ie CR) who treat them exactly the way they treat others.

edit: You'll also notice, G0rf, how KotakuSucks2 really wasn't addressing their comments to you so much as a general wail about a narrative they can't control, and this is the pattern with narcissistic viewpoints, it's all about them, all about how they can wait and how they understand it's about polishing (lol no, Poe2 is polishing, SC is still demoing) and the same can definitely be said of "Ted Cameron", who appears to be fully in the grip of a narcissistic crisis.

We can expect such crises to intensify, and if the pattern holds, an abrupt cutting off of all contact with the source of their pain, since taking it to other subs has proved to be fruitless. So I expect to see some of the loopier members simply disappear.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 29, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lladre posted:

$165, you forgot the game is not included with that ship purchase.

Lol game included....

good god, seriously? I thought all the 'game' sales were ship bundles. But I guess there's no mining ship bundle? So you have to buy some other ship just for the ability to buy the ship you want... wow.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

good god, seriously? I thought all the 'game' sales were ship bundles. But I guess there's no mining ship bundle? So you have to buy some other ship just for the ability to buy the ship you want... wow.

Well, there *is* a mining ship bundle, but it costs $1600 and doesn't come with the base game.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Never has the 'show less' link been more useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I could understand the whole Tier-0 fiasco if they actually defined what the other tiers were.

Mining other materials? Different difficulty levels for advanced materials? New minig vessels or abilities?

None of that is exactly ground breaking, so they just leave their backers in suspense because there is no proper design and they have no loving clue what’s next for mining.