Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The Running Man is on Hulu, and just as awesome as remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

For recent King adaptations, I liked 1408, The Mist, and Gerald's Game.

Supposedly a movie is being made from The Long Walk which could be cool.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Actually I thought 11/22/63 was fun with James Franco but I can't really remember how the series ended so I suspect it involved the ubiquitous deus ex pulled from King's rear end and I think my brain just glossed over it to protect itself

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Mist is fantastic, though it’s not a 1:1 adaptation of King’s short story.

That ending :gonk:

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

if we're dropping 1408 into the 'good' bucket of recent stuff then I don't think I have to say anything more

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Dark Tower fuckin owns too.

1408 sucked though

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Field Mousepad posted:

Dark Tower fuckin owns too.

I don't believe you

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

old.flv posted:

if we're dropping Dark Tower into the 'good' bucket of recent stuff then I don't think I have to say anything more

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Read the book if you haven’t, it’s totally different from the movie and really good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

1922 had a lot to recommend it though it’s certainly no Dead Zone or Christine

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mist is fantastic, though it’s not a 1:1 adaptation of King’s short story.

That ending :gonk:

I actually think it’s better than the novella, and I like the novella a lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fart City posted:

I actually think it’s better than the novella, and I like the novella a lot.

It’s too bad the black and white version isn’t on streaming, I liked that a lot.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

okay how about this - every new Stephen King adaptation should have a part for William Sadler

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

old.flv posted:

okay how about this - every new Stephen King adaptation should have a part for William Sadler

Boss, you ain’t gonna hear me complain about that rule.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

old.flv posted:

I don't believe you

Don't believe them.

The Dark Tower movie was terrible.

The idea behind it was brilliant. How do we adapt to film a series of books that are practically unfilmable? By making it both an adaptation and a sequel, while still being 100% canon with the books.

Only they clearly wimped at doing something so ambitious, so they basically told the story of all 7 main books in one movie while cutting out the majority of characters and events.

And that would be ok if the movie was any good. It wasn't. It's not just that it's a terrible adaptation. But it's a terrible film as well.

Just don't bother.

Ron Howard insists they are still doing a Dark Tower series over at Amazon. The only way they could possibly due this would be to ignore the movie, and remove talentless hack Ron Howard from any creative decisions.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

had no idea Ron Howard was involved - hard pass on that

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

old.flv posted:

had no idea Ron Howard was involved - hard pass on that

He bought the rights years ago, and his original plan was to adapt the books by alternating film and tv miniseries. The Gunslinger, movie. The Drawing of the Three, miniseries. The Waste Lands, movie. Wizard and Glass, miniseries. Wolves of the Calla, movie. Songs of Susannah, miniseries. The Dark Tower, movie.

But those plans got scaled WAY back, and we got the mess what I explained above. It was written and directed by some guy named Nikolaj Arcel, but Ron Howard is the license holder and executive producer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Talking of which, Rollerball (the original) is on Hulu and it is still a stone classic. James Caan is so good.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Nihonniboku posted:

He bought the rights years ago, and his original plan was to adapt the books by alternating film and tv miniseries. The Gunslinger, movie. The Drawing of the Three, miniseries. The Waste Lands, movie. Wizard and Glass, miniseries. Wolves of the Calla, movie. Songs of Susannah, miniseries. The Dark Tower, movie.

But those plans got scaled WAY back, and we got the mess what I explained above. It was written and directed by some guy named Nikolaj Arcel, but Ron Howard is the license holder and executive producer.

they should have done GUNSLINGER the movie - the rest as an HBO series with guest directors up to and including Wizard and Glass and then stop and pretend the rest of the story never happened

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

did the movie at least open up with 'The man in black fled across the desert..'?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

old.flv posted:

did the movie at least open up with 'The man in black fled across the desert..'?

No, I don't think so. It's been a bit since I watched it, but I'm pretty sure the movie starts with Jake, and Roland isn't even introduced for a bit yet into the movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

No, I don't think so. It's been a bit since I watched it, but I'm pretty sure the movie starts with Jake, and Roland isn't even introduced for a bit yet into the movie.

Yeah, when I saw that they whiffed on that most obvious, easy thing... I knew it was gonna be a bad old time at the movies.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

oh lord how do you gently caress up such an obvious opening - oh well I'll stop derailing about it

red19fire
May 26, 2010

precision posted:

Talking of which, Rollerball (the original) is on Hulu and it is still a stone classic. James Caan is so good.

Thief is also on Prime, Caan loving defines cool.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't believe all this talk about King movies and series, and nobody - NOT ONE OF YOU - is praising Stranger Things. That's the greatest King adaptation ever. I don't care what they say. Maybe it's Stephen King Fan Fiction Fiction. Or Fan fan fiction. I don't know. All I know is, it's like they took every King movie/series, took out the crap and left the rest of it all in there. I'm dying to see Castle Rock, but I'm sad that I'll compare it to Stranger Things the whole time.

ALSO - Extinction - I hated it until I liked it.

Whoever said it was like a long Black Mirror episode, that sounds about right.

If they got rid of the little kid, or made her into even just one more trope than "The kid that doesn't do what she's supposed to do" - I mean - was that her name in the credits?

Other than that - I loved the twist. Didn't see it coming, even after it's obvious there's something funky going on, I still didn't see it coming. So for that, I gave the movie a B instead of a C. There's very few Netflix originals that I like. The Ritual, and maybe that's it.

Lastly - The End of the F***ing World was amazing. Loved it. So okay, there's another Netflix show I rate higher than a C.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

magnificent7 posted:

I can't believe all this talk about King movies and series, and nobody - NOT ONE OF YOU - is praising Stranger Things. That's the greatest King adaptation ever. I don't care what they say. Maybe it's Stephen King Fan Fiction Fiction. Or Fan fan fiction. I don't know. All I know is, it's like they took every King movie/series, took out the crap and left the rest of it all in there. I'm dying to see Castle Rock, but I'm sad that I'll compare it to Stranger Things the whole time.

ALSO - Extinction - I hated it until I liked it.

Whoever said it was like a long Black Mirror episode, that sounds about right.

If they got rid of the little kid, or made her into even just one more trope than "The kid that doesn't do what she's supposed to do" - I mean - was that her name in the credits?

Other than that - I loved the twist. Didn't see it coming, even after it's obvious there's something funky going on, I still didn't see it coming. So for that, I gave the movie a B instead of a C. There's very few Netflix originals that I like. The Ritual, and maybe that's it.

Lastly - The End of the F***ing World was amazing. Loved it. So okay, there's another Netflix show I rate higher than a C.

I'm fairly certain you're not allowed to admit liking Stranger Things on SA because "hurr durr 80's".

I personally liked season 1 and 2 was OK.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Stranger Things is okay but the evil isn't nearly personified enough for it to be an "all Stephen King stories at once" adaptation. Think about it, his monsters are assholes, with only a handful of exceptions. Randall Flagg, Pennywise, the Overlook Hotel, they all have big, nasty personalities. The Demogorgon's not really much more than a dangerous animal.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Stranger Things is okay but the evil isn't nearly personified enough for it to be an "all Stephen King stories at once" adaptation. Think about it, his monsters are assholes, with only a handful of exceptions. Randall Flagg, Pennywise, the Overlook Hotel, they all have big, nasty personalities. The Demogorgon's not really much more than a dangerous animal.

I think you just kind of cracked the code for me for why I don't care that much about Stranger Things. It's just completely fine, but it doesn't have a fun villain like King's stuff tends to have, so I don't derive the same amount of pleasure from watching it as I do even the lovely King adaptations that don't forget to revel in the deliriously hammy evil that permeates his stuff. Stranger Things has a legitimate threat, but that's not as much fun as a good wackadoodle villain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My reasons for not liking it (I don't hate it I just thought it was very unremarkable) kind of go beyond "hurr durr 80's" but it's part of it. Super 8 had already cribbed heavily from that style a few years earlier, so it felt like a copy of something that was already pretty much wholly unoriginal itself to me. Just felt like the exact same gimmick. All that would have been forgivable, but the actual content of the show was like a really mediocre episode of the X-files stretched into 10 hours. The whole thing felt like style over substance, but the style is just stolen from more talented people like Steven Spielberg and Rob Reiner.

Plus to be honest, it's just not hard not to get tired of something when everyone is making stupid memes about it all over the place, but that's not the show's fault.

It's all cool and good if you enjoy it, but let's not act like the only reason people would not enjoy something is some nerd hivemind. I gave it a fair shake an even wanted to like it, but I just thought it mostly sucked.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any good relatively thinky but not too tiny-budget sci-fi on Netflix or Amazon? Movies or TV shows. Rewatched the new Blade Runner recently and it's gotten me in the mood.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does Arrival count? It's on Amazon Prime.

e: same director too, which I forgot about

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 30, 2018

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Is there any good relatively thinky but not too tiny-budget sci-fi on Netflix or Amazon? Movies or TV shows. Rewatched the new Blade Runner recently and it's gotten me in the mood.

Altered Carbon or The Expanse for series.

The Endless (kinda sci-fi horror) though you have to pay for it on Amazon.

Annihilation

Moon

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 30, 2018

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Arrival's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, yeah, but I've already seen it :(

Villeneuve needs to hurry up with Dune

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bardeh posted:

Arrival's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, yeah, but I've already seen it :(

Villeneuve needs to hurry up with Dune

That is gonna be so good.

Have you seen Moon? That's on Netflix right now and it's fantastic.

Edit: Beaten. And yeah Annihilation, which isn't on US Netflix but it's worth just paying for the rental.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Ex Machina, Moon, and Under the Skin are all on Netflix.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

expanse is really solid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything Alex Garland is so my jam. He's like my Sci-Fi whisperer or something. Ex Machina, Sunshine, Annihilation, Dredd, 28 Days later...You really can't go wrong.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat, no Under the Skin or Moon on UK Netflix. I have seen Moon before, but definitely fancy a rewatch. And I don't think I ever really got to grips with Season 2 of The Expanse, so I think I'll give that a try. Thanks thread!

And hell yeah at Alex Garland, love all of the movies he's been involved with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bardeh posted:

drat, no Under the Skin or Moon on UK Netflix. I have seen Moon before, but definitely fancy a rewatch. And I don't think I ever really got to grips with Season 2 of The Expanse, so I think I'll give that a try. Thanks thread!

Iirc Annihilation is on UK Netflix, although you may have already seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I know I just mentioned it, but Altered Carbon felt kinda Blade Runner-ey to me if you're looking for more of that exact vibe.