Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

:waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I would listen to hambeet. He is a top Liberal advisor after all.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

I would listen to hambeet. He is a top Liberal advisor after all.

the reply to all emails are going gang busters today. cash is fully expected to take the fall.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Is it conceivable that the staffer that tipped off the media could go to prison for this? Do we have any idea what the charges could be?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

ewe2 posted:

Well it's not like they can talk about policy...and the popularity contest has just fizzled. It's the same with Vic Libs, they've tried their hardest to stick Dandrews with something and their own Guy is running on Laura Norder after being lunched by a mafioso.

I think the disinterest by the MSM about what's going on Green is an advantage, given every time they have noticed them it was to regurgitate advisors PR sallies against them. Good. Let them ignore the Greens, the results will confuse them again. But somehow, I think the Libs might need to sing the 'ALP and Greens In Bed' tune again soon because they really have nothing else to say until next year.

I dunno, I feel like the mainstream media often does the greens a disservice by trivialising them and writing them off as crazy hippies when really we have more in common with the average punter than the knobs in the Liberal party.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

BBJoey posted:

Is it conceivable that the staffer that tipped off the media could go to prison for this? Do we have any idea what the charges could be?

The charge would be "unauthorised disclosure of government information", which has a max of 2 years.

I dunno if anyone will go to prison over it, though. The Libs are pretty good at avoiding meaningful consequences for poo poo behaviour (see: Tony Abbott and his misappropriation of funds for his book launch).

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a domestic violence victim was meant to be under police protection to escape her abusive ex, who threatened to strap bombs on their children and told them that he keeps knives in his car so if he ever sees their mother on the street he'll gut her. he's considered a serious threat to the point where their school has a full lockdown procedure to follow specifically in the event that he appears on-campus. anyway, long story short, a brisbane police senior constable told him her new address and that if he did anything to her he wouldn't go to jail, and now he's on the run with several weapons including a gun, also the senior constable still has his job

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

WHAT

THE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

avshalemon posted:

brisbane police

Oh, I get it. Two bad tastes that go great together

EDIT: JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST

quote:

“The police will contact you if they want to speak to you,” he told Ronald, “then you give them my name. That is your get-out-of-jail-free card.”

"I have completed an email draft to send to the bitch that will hopefully make her poo poo herself, so I want to go over it with you before I send it to you,” another text said.

That's a police officer speaking, gently caress

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

After the victim queries the disciplinary process, Mr Stewart is heard to say: “I don’t understand what is not satisfactory.”

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

probably going to cop a probie for this but holy poo poo everyone interviewed in this story needs to be summarily executed. flagrant disregard for the law, decency, humanity. i'm so loving furious on this lady's behalf

they should publish neil punchard's address and see what happens

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

But remember, the real threat to Australians is the Muslims and African gangs, not mediocre white men

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

No justice no peace

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Man the last person I would have suspected of being a morally bereft sadistic gently caress is a QLD cop I mean cmon,

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I thought it was an accidental breach by some bumbling moron cop but actually it was an intentional breach by a straight up psychotic cop.

very cool poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Except there's absolutely nothing to corroborate it, the ALP have consistently voted with the coalition on subjects like asylum seeker welfare, creepy surveillance state stuff, basically all of the poo poo the Greens actually take a stand on (because nobody else does).

They're going to try to rehash 2013 talking points, and it's going to make them seem even more out of touch and irrelevant.

Yeah it solves nothing, the people who want to believe it are already the base, everyone else will just roll their eyes and ignore it.

edit:

froglet posted:

I dunno, I feel like the mainstream media often does the greens a disservice by trivialising them and writing them off as crazy hippies when really we have more in common with the average punter than the knobs in the Liberal party.

They certainly trivialized the West Australian by-elections. I saw that there was a first preferences swing against the Greens in Fremantle, any explanation given as to why? Perth looks more encouraging though.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 30, 2018

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Well it's not like they can talk about policy...and the popularity contest has just fizzled. It's the same with Vic Libs, they've tried their hardest to stick Dandrews with something and their own Guy is running on Laura Norder after being lunched by a mafioso.

I think the disinterest by the MSM about what's going on Green is an advantage, given every time they have noticed them it was to regurgitate advisors PR sallies against them. Good. Let them ignore the Greens, the results will confuse them again. But somehow, I think the Libs might need to sing the 'ALP and Greens In Bed' tune again soon because they really have nothing else to say until next year.

Speak of the devil (Denis Napthine):

"ALP-Greens alliance would be a nightmare for Victoria | The Standard posted:

What would be the worst result for Victoria at the November state election?

In my view, the worst outcome for Victoria would be a Labor-Greens alliance as our new government.

This is a real possibility. Currently, in the Victorian Legislative Assembly there are 45 Labor seats, 30 Liberals, seven Nationals, three Greens and three independents.

This means the Andrews Labor government has a miniscule majority with only 45 of the 88 seats.

The Greens currently hold the inner city seats of Melbourne, Northcote and Prahran.

At the November election they are expected to win Brunswick, where the popular Jane Garrett is not recontesting.

The Greens will also be competitive in Richmond and Albert Park, as well as in Williamstown and Footscray where long-serving MPs are retiring.

At the end of counting on election night, the Greens could easily hold the balance of power and Daniel Andrews and his Labor mates would very quickly jump into bed with them to cling onto power.

This outcome would be a disaster for regional and rural Victoria.

The Greens would demand their inner-city Victorian agenda is implemented by any Greens-Labor alliance.

The Labor-Greens government would accelerate the closure of base load coal-fired power stations.

Duck shooting, jumps racing, greyhound racing, deer hunting and fishing would all be threatened.

While these popular pursuits – which generate jobs and economic benefits – are being shut down, a Greens-Labor government would be legalising dangerous drugs, going softer on criminals and introducing a new tax on all food and drinks containing sugar.

Hard-working irrigation farms which put food on our tables and earn huge export dollars would be decimated as the Labor-Greens alliance takes away even more of their water.

Inner-city Greens would also seek to impose even more restrictions on access to, and use of, Victoria’s national parks and Crown land.

They would shut down our native timber industry, despite its environmentally sustainable management practices, costing hundreds of jobs throughout country Victoria.

The Greens would also seek to restrict bushfire fuel-reduction burning, despite clear evidence it protects lives and property as well as protecting the environment from mega-fires.

Similarly, they would stop life-saving clearance of dangerous roadside vegetation.

The Greens could easily hold the balance of power and Daniel Andrews and his Labor mates would very quickly jump into bed with them to cling onto power. This outcome would be a disaster for regional and rural Victoria. The Greens would demand their inner-city Victorian agenda is implemented by any Greens-Labor alliance.

The Greens have also said they would phase out all petrol and diesel vehicles, including diesel-powered locomotives.

Victorian voters need to understand that it is a very real possibility that a Labor-Greens alliance could be the winner at the November state election.

In Tasmania, the Labor Party continually told voters that they would not form a government with the Greens.

However, in 1989 Labor and the Greens formed an accord in order to get into government.

In 2010, the Labor Party and the Greens entered into a “power-sharing arrangement” with key Greens members of parliament appointed as powerful and influential government ministers.

Again in 2010 Labor, under Julia Gillard formed, government after a hung election with the support of independents and the Greens – and as we all know that ended badly.

The message is clear. Victorians must take great care when casting their vote, or we could wake up on the morning after the November election facing the nightmare prospect of a Labor-Greens alliance getting ready to ruin Victoria.

Dr Denis Napthine is the Warrnambool-based former Premier of Victoria. He and former Labor Premier Steve Bracks will be writing for Australian Community Media mastheads throughout the 2018 state election campaign.

ONCE AGAIN THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA IGNORES THE ETERNAL REIGN OF SHANE RATTENBURY IN CANBERRA

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 30, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Kafka Syrup posted:

GREENS WRECK ECONOMY

Fucks sake

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

unfortunately a large percentage of votes agree with that sentiment.

greens need to rebrand

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beetphyxious posted:

greens need to rebrand

Rebrand and the old smears will rebrand instantly.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Beetphyxious posted:

greens need to rebrand

vote 1 the (bob) browns

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kafka Syrup posted:

OH NO LEFTYS MIGHT GANG UP ON US

QED, and I like to think of the hilarity should the Libs "win" and be forced to confront the same possibility, but wheel good old Denis out some more, people might remember what a loving puddle the Libs are and watch the swing increase in the electorates that matter. Such scaremongering has failed repeatedly, but like the definition of madness, Napthine hopes this time it will work, you'll see!!.

None of this solves their problems outside of Melbourne, just saying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Beetphyxious posted:

greens need to rebrand

'Cause that's worked for both Reason and the Center Alliance!

Seriously, political rebranding just doesn't work these days; people's memories are too long, politicians are too recognizably tied to the old name, and the history is always easy to look up.

That'd be especially true of the Greens, who are kind of the Australian media's favorite political punching bag. You can argue people don't read beyond the surface level, but you know that if the Greens rebranded as the Progressive Party the media would just hammer home 'same Greens, same policies, new coat of paint' long and hard enough for it to not matter.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Yeah it solves nothing, the people who want to believe it are already the base, everyone else will just roll their eyes and ignore it.

edit:

They certainly trivialized the West Australian by-elections. I saw that there was a first preferences swing against the Greens in Fremantle, any explanation given as to why? Perth looks more encouraging though.

The federal seat of Freo is a lot larger than just the port. The ALP's primary vote is a lot higher outside Fremantle proper.

On the flip side, in comparison to the state election result, it's an improvement.

Cynical/depressing answer: the Greens candidate for Freo was an Aboriginal woman (Dorinda Cox) and West Australians aren't exactly known for their acceptance of women or aboriginal people.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

OK we will keep with the current strategy of waiting for all the baby boomers to die.

Good chat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Beetphyxious posted:

OK we will keep with the current strategy of waiting for all the baby boomers to die.

Good chat.

Just because you can only come up with ideas that suck, doesn't mean all of them do.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Well let me know when someone has one.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Beetphyxious posted:

Well let me know when someone has one.

here is one: eco-friendly biodegradeable single use guillotines that are plastic free

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh wait i was wrong, maybe the baby boomers can outlast the greens

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

'Baby Boomers aren't dying fast enough' is how the Greens ended up trying to win more votes by moving to the sensible centre for those stellar 8.7% results

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Okay fine. You can pollute the environment.

Votes please?

Boomers: No.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So they can repositions and fail, but don't think about rebranding that won't work because...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Okay fine. You can pollute the environment.

Votes please?

Boomers: No.

Did I say change policies? No, no I did not. Zero points comprehension for you.

They have an image problem. How do you solve that?

"Uhh ignore it?"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

froglet posted:

Cynical/depressing answer: the Greens candidate for Freo was an Aboriginal woman (Dorinda Cox) and West Australians aren't exactly known for their acceptance of women or aboriginal people.

This is true to a point, but I think it's a bit of a simplistic answer that ultimately encourages marginalising other groups at the expense of "safe" straight white male candidates (which I know you're not doing froglet, and I'm not having a go at you specifically, just talking about when it happens generally. I think WA has actually gotten more racist over the last decade, which is lovely to go home to).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that was a factor for some people, but I think saying "people didn't vote for candidate X because of their gender/race/orientation/surname/whatever" is a bit of a simplistic view that overlooks deeper analysis.

In instances where parties are seeing statistically significant swings against them, I think it's important to do a detailed analysis of why that has happened. In some cases it absolutely may be personal against the candidate (not that I have any sympathy, but Georgina Downer and Big Trev whatever his name is definitely experienced a bit of this). In many cases it might actually concern the policies.

To use a recent example, in Batman/Cooper I think the backlash against the Greens didn't solely come from the internal bullying reports (although again, couldn't have helped) as much as the fact the policies that were being emphasised weren't right for the area. That's not saying the Greens had no policies for the area, but they absolutely took a second place to Adani, which didn't really matter that much to a lot of people as it was ultimately a Queensland state issue in a Victorian federal by-election. It's absolutely important to keep in mind the demographics of an area and the personal pros and cons of an individual candidate, but I think any analysis of an election loss is incomplete if it doesn't consider policies at all (again, not accusing anyone ITT of doing this).

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

Did I say change policies? No, no I did not. Zero points comprehension for you.

They have an image problem. How do you solve that?

"Uhh ignore it?"

When the air is toxic and the crops desolate, Australia will admit the greens were righteous assholes and if only they were more polite and better at getting their message across, we wouldn't be in this mess.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Let's brainstorm new names:

nu laboUr

Democratic Labour party.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gentleman Baller posted:

When the air is toxic and the crops desolate, Australia will admit the greens were righteous assholes and if only they were more polite and better at getting their message across, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Skinner the kids are wrong.gif

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Beetphyxious posted:

So they can repositions and fail, but don't think about rebranding that won't work because...

Do you actually believe a rebranding would accomplish anything

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
rebandting

sumbit post

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BBJoey posted:

Do you actually believe a rebranding would accomplish anything

Yeah I do.

Adbot