Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It's actually pretty straightforward. The files are relatively simple hierarchical data structures that are pretty well organized, though they are big. There are tutorials on YouTube, but I didn't actually finish any of them and just started poking at the files. I've been doing it with the Fallout 4 flavor, but it's pretty much the same poo poo. If you try to change (break) anything, the software brings up a big warning and makes you wait three seconds, so you really can just go hog wild without worrying that you are going to brick your game.

I'll see what I can do - this looks like Spanish to me. Spanish in code.

That said, I did find a lead - there are three types of "ghostly remains" in my game. I tried to spawn one of each type - two worked, the third did a hard crash. Attaching a screenshot.

E:

The first two were what worked, when I submitted the third one, instant CTD. How would I go about seeing what's messing with it?

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

find the item with that ID number and xedit will tell you what mods touch it, then you can do some detective work

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

find the item with that ID number and xedit will tell you what mods touch it, then you can do some detective work

It looks like it's referenced by a few mods, but I don't see anything that says what changes it. I tried out disabling the mods that reference it one by one and then all at once, but no dice.

Is there anything more basic than the xEdit guide on S.T.E.P? It seems to assume a level of fluency that I'm just not at.

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 20, 2018

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
If a quick look at the ref ID doesn't really help - split your load order in half. Disable The bottom half. Test. If nothing, disable the top half. Whichever yields a crash, split that half - again, in half so you're testing the top (or bottom) quarters of your load order. Rinse and repeat until you have narrowed down the culprit. Mod Organizer helps enormously with this, since the issue may be with loose files.

I'd suggest anything else, but after trying the 'elegant' way of sorting through mod contents in efforts to understand the entire systems, nothing really expedites the process beyond that very first cursory glance at reference IDs to at least see whether you can't find which mod specifically isn't the problem. Beyond that, it's really a matter of brute force, and the 50/50 method actually goes pretty quick. 8 iterations and you're down to the culprit. Given Skyrim doesn't have a drat debug mode that could be more informative, it is far and away the best solution to isolating your problem. Especially given how far along you are in identifying what is causing a problem in-game, since you can load up the game, console the problem content, and know instantly whether you're going to crash.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Project AHO has great environments, ok voice acting, and is one of the most tedious things I've ever played.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

8one6 posted:

Project AHO has great environments, ok voice acting, and is one of the most tedious things I've ever played.

:same:

If Forgotten City is a 10 on the "weird isolated area with odd physical rules that you're trapped in" scale, AHO is like.. a 2? Basically everything that was intriguing about it wasn't followed up on, and the poo poo I didn't care about was front and center.

Also it added those stupid landing pads to like half the dwarven ruins :argh:

(still hunting down my ghost bug)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk where you are at in your process, but here is the next step from what you've shared. This is an example from FO4 modding, but it's basically the same engine. So, that hexadecimal item code should be the FormID in xEdit.

0010D6EF or really "10D6EF" should be your FormID

This example is a little weird because it points to her spawnpoint reference in Diamond City, but that may because I'm using a really hacky mod that can send my companions back to their original homes. The point is that you should be able to start poking in different hexadecimal codes that you find in the records, the righthand pane, for that FormID you have and xEdit can tell you what mods are poking at it, like there is even a specific tab in the right hand pane for Referenced By that will give you a straightforward list rather than a bigass nested tree.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 21, 2018

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I did manage to find out which mods were poking at it - not as many as I thought, and not the ones I thought. I disabled those, and nothing happened. I tried the binary search tree, it didn't work. Finally I uninstalled and reinstalled all the mods, and now it works.

:iiam:

ty for all your help though, I learned things about xEdit at least!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right on. xEdit can only look at what the mods do with the Elder Scrolls Plugin (.esp) or Elder Scrolls Master (.esm) files, which are just like the database of poo poo that gets loaded into the game, but if you had a corrupted datafile, like a .nif (which is the thingy that defines the mesh and textures in the game or whatever) or a bad .dds (Direct Draw proprietary texture format), or something else like a particle effect or whatever other poo poo that I don't know about yet, it could still crash even if everything was alright with the database entries. I was having a CTD in FO4 because I saved a .dds texture I edited in GIMP as an uncompressed file and without mip maps (There is a smaller texture inside!).

nifscope is also a really cool tool you should also check out if this stuff is interesting to you, and the niftools dudes that do that are working on a blender plugin so that the workflow isn't as clunky. Right now, to gently caress with a model, you need to export it from nifscope as a different file format (.obj ), and import it into blender.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

graynull posted:

I believe Agents recommended A Noble Skyrim a while back. I picked it up and it has been pretty solid. Has a SSE version in the files too.

Yeah, Noble Skyrim really looks fantastic, espcially paired with SMIM and Enhanced Textures Detail. Keep in mind, from my tinkering about the SSE textures, all Bethesda did with a ton of them is upscale them with Photoshop/WAIFU2X and then slap some noise textures on them, so IMHO even though a lot of retextures for Oldrim are actually lower res, they look fantastic in SE's new renderer, because the modder could spend 3 weeks on one texture rather than rushing it out. aMidianBorn stuff is to die for in the SSE renderer.

I also recommend: Elaborate Textiles and Ashlander Apparel which also look amazing, even though Elaborate Textiles is only 2k textures.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, Noble Skyrim really looks fantastic, espcially paired with SMIM and Enhanced Textures Detail. Keep in mind, from my tinkering about the SSE textures, all Bethesda did with a ton of them is upscale them with Photoshop/WAIFU2X and then slap some noise textures on them, so IMHO even though a lot of retextures for Oldrim are actually lower res, they look fantastic in SE's new renderer, because the modder could spend 3 weeks on one texture rather than rushing it out. aMidianBorn stuff is to die for in the SSE renderer.

I also recommend: Elaborate Textiles and Ashlander Apparel which also look amazing, even though Elaborate Textiles is only 2k textures.

I dont have a super great card so 2k is fine for me. Thanks!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sacrosanct is a pretty sweet mod. I just wish I was better at getting the feeding power attack to trigger.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone which the mods were that made VR combat a bit more realistic with heavier swings to close combat weapons etc.?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

It's getting close to that period once every two years or so where I consider loading up Skyrim again to check out the mods, both new ones I haven't seen before as well as old ones that may have been updated.

Should I load up Skyrim SE and check out what modders have done with all of the extra bits available, or is it better to stick to old Skyrim's library? Is one platform receiving more current modding support than another? TIA!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
SE has finally gotten to the point that the Script Extender and modder support for it make it almost unequivocally the best 'platform'. Unless you're a requiem player, SSE has just about all of the mods on it finally.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I have a weird mod oversight I am trying to correct with TESVEdit that I can't quite get to work. The mod in question is the new Armor and Clothing Extension.

The mod author confirmed for me that his new Vigilant's robes are supposed to be light armored, and have all the keywords except the right armor type. I though I was clever enough to make the simple change in TESVEdit, but they are not translating to my game (even after confirming no other mods are overwriting these new armors and recompiling my merged and bashed patches).

Any idea what nobs I am missing to turn?

E: Figured it out. It was the template keyword that was locking me out of the adjusted armor values. Took it into the CK and was able to patch it up.

graynull fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 5, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone which the mods were that made VR combat a bit more realistic with heavier swings to close combat weapons etc.?

Go to /r/SkyrimVR and check out their stickied INI tweaks. There’s a really good utility for editing those linked there to, I think it takes a little fiddling to hit the sweet spot for poo poo like item pickups so you don’t have to be right on top of the thing but also not like straight up telekinesis. It’ll never be a “real” VR game but as a straight port, I enjoy it a great deal more than OG Skyrim. Very mod compatible too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dalris Othaine posted:

I did manage to find out which mods were poking at it - not as many as I thought, and not the ones I thought. I disabled those, and nothing happened. I tried the binary search tree, it didn't work. Finally I uninstalled and reinstalled all the mods, and now it works.

:iiam:

ty for all your help though, I learned things about xEdit at least!

Science tells us that the same circumstances, or the same actions, will always yield the same results.

Bethesda scoffs at such hubris. Doing the same thing in the same way will often give the player wildly different results, with no idea why. The only thing you can do is learn to accept this madness, and watch the bugs pass by whilst remaining calm as the Buddha.

Also fun times at Ms Adequate's place where I had to totally reformat my drive and thus lost my extremely painstaking assembled mod collection that took me days to install and tweak and play nice :suicide:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there an ENB preset that looks nice and still lets night vision / Khajiit night eye function? Or is there a mod that forces night vision to work anyway somehow? I had made a cat person sneaky archer/thief but the lack of night eye is a problem.

I'm using the STEP2.10 modlist with some misc mods (Ordinator, Apocalypse, Pure weather + True Storms + Supreme storms, CACO, Campfire, Hunterborn.) Not sure if Relighting Skyrim counts as a light overhaul mod or I should consider looking into Realistic Lighting Overhaul / Enhanced Lights + FX, since the PureVision ENB I'm currently using recommends one of them.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Also fun times at Ms Adequate's place where I had to totally reformat my drive and thus lost my extremely painstaking assembled mod collection that took me days to install and tweak and play nice :suicide:

ah, the pain of chronic modding. sometimes I get the urge to say "no this time I'll just play instead of spending the night before a new game working out a loadout", but it never happens :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Howdy, gang. Ready to play the delightful game of trying to remember my Nexus login to download 20 gigs of files and then never do anything beyond installing them with Special Edition. Mostly familiar with FNV modding, so I think I can grok the easy stuff. The actual question I have is: anyone got a Fear and Loathing style modlist for SE?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dalris Othaine posted:

ah, the pain of chronic modding. sometimes I get the urge to say "no this time I'll just play instead of spending the night before a new game working out a loadout", but it never happens :v:

I just discovered it took out my Morrowind install as well, I was thinking that was on my external drive but nope :negative:

I know I should know better but yep I'm going to do exactly what you say!

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Well good news for folks rounding back to Skyrim SE now at least, a new version of ENB came out that finally fixed the shader caching business and shaves about 30 - 40 seconds off the boot time for the game. Think of how much that'll add up when you're troubleshooting CTDs!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Question:
Is there a mod which reduces enemy strength variation within their types?
That is to say, something which makes top-tier bandits closer to low-end bandits, top-tier draugr closer to low-tier draugr, but which still has them level with you?

What I want is something which avoids the issue where a dungeon has a bunch of "Bandit"s who die instantly, and then one "Bandit Marauder" who takes thirteen power attacks to the face -- but which doesn't just completely remove scaling and result in the other problem where the first half of the game is you getting stomped, then once you pass the breakpoint the second half of the game is you slaughtering everything with impunity.

Edit:
Or actually, something which just sets it so there's less variation of types within a given dungeon, so for example once you start seeing "Thugs" instead of just "Bandits" then they replace the basic ones completely. Basically what I want is for enemy strength to feel less weirdly arbitrary within any single area.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 7, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

O hell yes, Better Jumping finally made the leap (:smithicide:) into Special Edition. Double jumps, sprint jumps, playing as Raiden from Metal Gear Rising. Good fuckin' times.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
The big hurdle with trying to make those sorts of changes to encounters across the board is that Skyrim tends to use a combination of encounter zones and manually placed spawns in most locations. As a result, your best hope is adjusting the encounter zone spawning calculations--but even then you're invariably still going to find random enemies around that have a power gap from whatever else you're running into in that area. Encounter zone math by itself is also more or less intentionally designed to produce a couple of enemies who are much tougher than their contemporaries in a given zone.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

GaistHeidegger posted:

The big hurdle with trying to make those sorts of changes to encounters across the board is that Skyrim tends to use a combination of encounter zones and manually placed spawns in most locations. As a result, your best hope is adjusting the encounter zone spawning calculations--but even then you're invariably still going to find random enemies around that have a power gap from whatever else you're running into in that area. Encounter zone math by itself is also more or less intentionally designed to produce a couple of enemies who are much tougher than their contemporaries in a given zone.

I wouldn't find it so irritating if there was more visual distinctiveness to them. I wish there were a stronger correlation between equipment and enemy strength, for example. It just seems so weird when a nordic greatsword swung by a "Draugr" just stings, but the same sword swung by a "Restless Draugr" takes off like a third of my health. UH-OH, I GUESS NOT SLEEPING MADE HIM CRANKY! :rolleyes:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Is there an ENB preset that looks nice and still lets night vision / Khajiit night eye function? Or is there a mod that forces night vision to work anyway somehow? I had made a cat person sneaky archer/thief but the lack of night eye is a problem.

I'm using the STEP2.10 modlist with some misc mods (Ordinator, Apocalypse, Pure weather + True Storms + Supreme storms, CACO, Campfire, Hunterborn.) Not sure if Relighting Skyrim counts as a light overhaul mod or I should consider looking into Realistic Lighting Overhaul / Enhanced Lights + FX, since the PureVision ENB I'm currently using recommends one of them.

I'm using Vividian ENB and night vision (at least the version from the Dwemer Goggles from the Scouter and Goggles mod) more-or-less works (though sometimes it looks really washed out depending on the present light sources.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is ELFX still considered the best lighting mod for SSE? I had a good time with it on oldrim, but a lot of the exterior lighting looks really weird. Sconces in the middle of deep shadows, not really throwing light on the ground or anything.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

The_White_Crane posted:

I wouldn't find it so irritating if there was more visual distinctiveness to them. I wish there were a stronger correlation between equipment and enemy strength, for example. It just seems so weird when a nordic greatsword swung by a "Draugr" just stings, but the same sword swung by a "Restless Draugr" takes off like a third of my health. UH-OH, I GUESS NOT SLEEPING MADE HIM CRANKY! :rolleyes:

Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go for resolution, there's a few different angles of mod that collectively might help what you're frustrated with. It sounds to me like you might better enjoy the experience using a more comprehensive 'deleveling' mod. There's still typically upward scaling (e.g. enemies at least nominally 'keeping pace' with your character level to have fewer 'pushovers' as you level) but less downward scaling--MorrowLoot is/was a good (in my opinion) take on this, and OMEGA is a currently pretty actively developed 'successor' to it of sorts with modularity to tweak the approach.

By default, though, it'll tag dungeons with a level indicator that reflects the encounter zone level, so you'll see 'Hey Gerhardt's Grotto is 30+ so it's predominately going to spawn enemies at least at that floor.' A byproduct of this is that it does somewhat smooth out the curve of the enemies you run into in a given area, with the caveat that you're still going to hit 'boss' enemies too. If you ride the ride of also incorporating Skyrim Immersive Creatures + the 'Official' Skyrim Immersive Creatures patch, it's a bit better about tweaking the correlation of enemy type -> look -> power level with the spawning lists.

You're never really going to be able to eliminate that factor from Skyrim entirely, but there's ways to make it a bit smoother (and depending on your desired difficulty level, less/more consistently challenging.)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Question:
Is there a mod which reduces enemy strength variation within their types?
That is to say, something which makes top-tier bandits closer to low-end bandits, top-tier draugr closer to low-tier draugr, but which still has them level with you?

What I want is something which avoids the issue where a dungeon has a bunch of "Bandit"s who die instantly, and then one "Bandit Marauder" who takes thirteen power attacks to the face -- but which doesn't just completely remove scaling and result in the other problem where the first half of the game is you getting stomped, then once you pass the breakpoint the second half of the game is you slaughtering everything with impunity.

Edit:
Or actually, something which just sets it so there's less variation of types within a given dungeon, so for example once you start seeing "Thugs" instead of just "Bandits" then they replace the basic ones completely. Basically what I want is for enemy strength to feel less weirdly arbitrary within any single area.

Advanced Adversary Encounters does this (basically).

NPCs level with you (period). The tougher NPCs will level a bit faster, such that a Marauder should always be taken more seriously, but a vanilla "Bandit" will generally be outclassed, though not necessarily fall over to just anything.

It has problems doing it this way. Namely, you can find some encounters all but impossible early on. And some NPCs can level pretty aggressively, so I don't want to say you won't still encounter those NPCs that take 13 power attacks to the face and not care.

Second, it doesn't just deal with level scaling. Many NPCs level aggressively because they have a more unique weakness you really need to exploit, and the intent behind the level scaling is so you can't merely outlevel the problem - you have to actually 'solve' it.

I like it. And although i would prefer something else, it's generally the best option for what I like, and sounds like it will scratch your itch perfect.

It works VERY POORLY with encounter zone mods, so if using something like Morrowloot Ult, make sure to use the vanilla encounter zones optional. Otherwise you will run into level 25+ bandit bosses at level 1.

Also. Use the "Optioanl BETA" patch. Whatever they thought was a good idea for necros with their Dark Star spell is not a good idea. This will effectively reduce their tendency to spam it, nevermind avoid a loving 40pt per magic damage (and therefore hard to resist) AoE at level 1. You will actually have to level up before the loving jaggoffs will actually cast that garbage much. By which point it's not actually any worse than pyros with fireball, and plenty tolerable.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I want a mod that just delevels items and keeps the enemies as they are. I really trust the devs on balance when it comes to the enemies themselves, but Oblivion/Skyrim shows they got no real concept of what the loot experience should be. Preferably along with the same features that Scarcity has when it comes to gold/items.

I have really become fond of Mythical ages + Mythic ENB for SSE. Good saturation during daytime and almost as good fog as Snowfall ENB for Oldrim. Also, does not have this annoying highly blurry DoF which other ENBs have.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 7, 2018

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
morrow loot ult, + vanilla encounter zones optional

scarcity becomes something else, but instead of dealing with the glut, I just get something that makes health potions heal over time. you still swim in potions. It's not ideal, given how Skyrim is designed around potentially unlimited instant healing (scarfing a dozen basic potions in menu), but it's more elegant in being more compatible if nothing else. Getting something like scarcity and morrowloot compatible is technically as simple as an already existent patch, but I use a bunch of other mods, and a patch between that and MLU doesn't mean it is compatible with Scarcity, or any other permutation. It only works if you have a Scarcity+MLU+________ patch...

Even Mator Smash can make this stuff intensely tedious. Shame more authors don't really work their own Smash tags into their mods. That tool could solve most compatibility problems, without need for patches, IF authors simply tagged their mods (properly).

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 8, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Guys, rate my modlist!

https://modwat.ch/u/haha/modlist

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I give you people solid gold by informing you that Better Jumping was ported to SE and you cretins keep posting about stupid nerd poo poo like encounter levels. I'm disgusted.

Read to the point where you have Legacy of the Dragonborn installed and stopped. Did he ever fix the huge number of typos and grammatical errors?

Last time I tried it, he had called Solstheim "Soltheim." This was voice acted. The modder straight-up told me they didn't care about that sort of thing in PMs, so I ditched the mod.

Edit: I also don't know WTF that load order. Open Cities and LAL are generally supposed to be near the bottom.

Edit the 2nd: Also allow me to plug my Converted for Personal Use folder. Knock yourselves out.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 8, 2018

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Read to the point where you have Legacy of the Dragonborn installed and stopped. Did he ever fix the huge number of typos and grammatical errors?

Last time I tried it, he had called Solstheim "Soltheim." This was voice acted. The modder straight-up told me they didn't care about that sort of thing in PMs, so I ditched the mod.

I've played through the entirety of Legacy once and I didn't notice too many. Maybe I was just having too much fun with my weird relic museum/archaeology pals? :shrug:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I have not come around to the guild part yet, but I think LoTDB is quite good even if you just follow the simple fetch quests and really helps you feel like a completionist. What I noticed the most about the museum is that there are a lot of loading screens to get places, but you do have the option of auto sorting. I have heard that the mod is not strictly lore friendly. I once PMed the author asking if I could try to release a more vanilla version that just added simple fetch quests and removed or balanced a lot of misc items and how I could go about doing that. Got mad instantly because "all of it is lore friendly" and stuff. My real objection is that if you use a lot of economy mods it is really jarring to find expensive cards, jade dragons statues or chocolate bars lying around. I was allowed to do it, if I could show him how I would do that, with very little direction, so I let it go.

LoTDB is yet another mod that is probably better if it was less and not more, because it sure has content. But I believe its strength is having a simple mechanic to stretch out the vanilla game by appealing to completionist mentality, and not by adding fossils or chocolate bars.

Midig fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 12, 2018

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I had a weird masochistic thought... well, I have many but this one was related to modding. Are there any mods that introduce unidentified or cursed items to the game? I thought it might be interesting to have to have a certain level of alchemy/enchanting skill to be able to identify all those potions and magical items you pick up. Being able to take them to get identified or just yolo drink this bottle of liquid from a thousand year old tomb, like you do.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Ring of Hircine is cursed when you start the quest so you can't remove it normally, (though there are workarounds) so there are already hooks in place for cursed items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Also, to elaborate, I can name two great house mods offhand that have museum features and aren't bloated garbage (Fyr Manor, a SE version of which is in my personal use folder) and Clockwork.

I haven't bothered with he SE version, but the oldrim version would give my game performance issues just for having it installed.

And I tend to drop mods with rampant spelling errors because both I hate typos and because those tend to be a tell on badly scripted mods.