Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

I watched the 4Corners documentary on the mistreatment in the juvenile justice system today, I was shook by it almost to the point of disassociating, gently caress there are some scum running this country

lynch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
here is the link if you haven’t seen it: https://tv.press.abc.net.au/australias-shame-four-corners

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Guess I'm voting 1 labor

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

G-Spot Run posted:

Guess I'm voting 1 labor
Agreed.

Bring on the red wave.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If that is their plan when they get cocky then i’m in

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Also people liked Ludlam because vidja games.

and that one time he said "for the lulz" in the senate

what a mad lad amirite

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ABCthedrum/status/1023880608878014464

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

"When a poo poo apple falls from a tree and grows up in a field of poo poo, it doesn't have a choice. Just like Trinity Georgina. She's gonna be a poo poo apple tree just like her father."

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Beetphyxious posted:

the greens have an image problem that is an issue of their legacy of tree hippies. re branding allows that image to be shed quicker than just charging ahead and pretending there isn't a problem.

they might hit similar roadblocks at the onset, but i don't see that as a reason to not do it, especially as those roadblocks are definitely there now and are not going anywhere, but with the alternative?

otherwise the strategy is just 'wait for the other parties to stop using that against us' and that's not a strategy either.

Nah, I don't think that's going to work. Dunno about anywhere else but my impression is that'd alienate a lot of the existing members here (can anyone say splits?). I mean, I'm not sure I'd remain involved if they suddenly rebranded (partially coz I'm not sure I could tolerate defending it for the next however long to everyone I know who isn't a member)

So far what I've found works best at dispelling the myths is getting involved in the community and being upfront about your party membership. I get the impression many people have discounted the greens because of this cultural meme they're all lunatics and hippies, but it's harder to discount people you know who seem to regularly shower and wear shoes but are also campaigning to end mandatory detention or whatever.

It's a bit disappointing a lot of people are so easily swayed by the mainstream media, but it's also encouraging that you can affect the people around you. It would probably never have occurred to my partner to vote Green if it weren't for me, and I probably would have never joined if it weren't for all the goons in here who are members. That seems to be how it works for most members I've met - they met or knew someone involved and decided to join in.

This all being said, I think the main myth that needs dispelling is that nothing can change, we have to wait for all the baby boomers to die and millennials can do gently caress all about everything going to poo poo - I admit I'm definitely guilty of this train of thought. But things don't get better if you stay at home, and if me and everyone I know who complained converted the effort they spent complaining into the unglamorous and thankless task of trying to enact change, change would happen faster.

I get why people don't want to get involved - it's unpaid work, few people really want to spend their free time doorknocking or phone banking or handing out leaflets and the moment you show you're not an idiot and somewhat reliable the organisers tend to ask you to do more stuff, but... A couple of hours on polling day or doing one doorknock with a friend is a relatively small commitment and helps them cover more ground.

I guess I'm preaching to the converted, just I've heard "I'm just one person" a bit too much recently. I get it, I understand completely, I'm just frustrated

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

froglet posted:

Nah, I don't think that's going to work. Dunno about anywhere else but my impression is that'd alienate a lot of the existing members here (can anyone say splits?). I mean, I'm not sure I'd remain involved if they suddenly rebranded (partially coz I'm not sure I could tolerate defending it for the next however long to everyone I know who isn't a member)

So far what I've found works best at dispelling the myths is getting involved in the community and being upfront about your party membership. I get the impression many people have discounted the greens because of this cultural meme they're all lunatics and hippies, but it's harder to discount people you know who seem to regularly shower and wear shoes but are also campaigning to end mandatory detention or whatever.

It's a bit disappointing a lot of people are so easily swayed by the mainstream media, but it's also encouraging that you can affect the people around you. It would probably never have occurred to my partner to vote Green if it weren't for me, and I probably would have never joined if it weren't for all the goons in here who are members. That seems to be how it works for most members I've met - they met or knew someone involved and decided to join in.

This all being said, I think the main myth that needs dispelling is that nothing can change, we have to wait for all the baby boomers to die and millennials can do gently caress all about everything going to poo poo - I admit I'm definitely guilty of this train of thought. But things don't get better if you stay at home, and if me and everyone I know who complained converted the effort they spent complaining into the unglamorous and thankless task of trying to enact change, change would happen faster.

I get why people don't want to get involved - it's unpaid work, few people really want to spend their free time doorknocking or phone banking or handing out leaflets and the moment you show you're not an idiot and somewhat reliable the organisers tend to ask you to do more stuff, but... A couple of hours on polling day or doing one doorknock with a friend is a relatively small commitment and helps them cover more ground.

I guess I'm preaching to the converted, just I've heard "I'm just one person" a bit too much recently. I get it, I understand completely, I'm just frustrated

Nice meltdown

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You would stop being involved with the greens if their policies remained, but they rebranded? I don't believe that, it makes absolutely no sense outside of sports team politics.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They're not going to rebrand, it's a global movement. Just drop it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

starkebn posted:

nah, i'll keep posting about what I want to thanks champ.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

nah, i'll keep posting about what I want to thanks champ.

i love those kissy lips *smooch*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I want to rebrand into a good poster

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

starkebn posted:

okay so i went and looked right? and there's nothing in the global greens charter that says you must call your part '<insert country name here> greens' so i think we're safe. it's almost like the greens policies and the whole movement are greater than just a name.

also of interest, i decided to look which greens/verdes/verts around the world actually had any power. out of 91 member's there are 7 that have some power, in a coalition or on their own. that comes to ~ 7.7% of all member orgs.

an eerily similar number to the 8.7% primary vote in the last two federal elections.

that's some real winning branding there to cling to.

:thunk:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

I want to rebrand into a good poster

anidavyxious

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Re-branding would be giving in to a sustained NewsCorp campaign to either ignore or discredit the Greens so gently caress that idea.

Also changing names would lead to a big dip in votes from your average not engaged with politics punter.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

nah sorry it wouldn't, for all those things you said.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Beetphyxious posted:

anidavyxious

Beetphyxious posted:

anidavyxious

Different brand, same posts

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
van beetham

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

van beetham

she says some good stuff

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

anyway im saying this for the benefit of the greens, not to attack them, but some people can't seem to accept anything less than blind allegiance

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

van beetham

actually i was looking for a new name

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

actually I've always been interested in what turned van badhams so hostile against the greens. the venom is more than just derived form policy and ideology.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Re-branding would be giving in to a sustained NewsCorp campaign to either ignore or discredit the Greens so gently caress that idea.

Also changing names would lead to a big dip in votes from your average not engaged with politics punter.

Maybe Newscorp is right? :angel:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I mean look at all the cool populist party names in Europe like Five Star movement or uh Golden Dawn. Wait gently caress.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

actually I've always been interested in what turned van badhams so hostile against the greens. the venom is more than just derived form policy and ideology.

My understanding is she was an “active member” in the same way she’s an “independent journalist” for Labor. She was invested, semicompetent and loud so was on track for candidature at some point.

But in the course of six months, Vic Greens started going hard against pokies and Fed Greens supported the part pension changes.

Her parents are apparently “working class” owners of several pubs with large investments in pokies companies and were in the process of retiring.

The changes materially impacted her parents wealth. All the political capital she thought she’d built up in the party wasn’t enough to change their positions on these things. Her allies and MP contacts weren’t supporting her positions.

So she left and basically vowed to destroy the Greens for betraying her personally.

(see also why she’s constantly trying to make pokies and greyhound racing “Labor working class” issues)

AgentF
May 11, 2009

froglet posted:

An excellent post and I agree completely. I'm a Greens member and I've never hugged a tree in my life. My issues are societal - I believe that right wing economics damages our economy and thus our country with purported gains that have never materialised, and I believe that climate change is real and threatens all of us and that doing nothing about it is not an option. I have managed to convince a fair number of friends and co-workers to vote Greens who would have never even considered the thought. Not because they hate our policy platform (and often they agree with it when they actually look into it) but because we just aren't in peoples' minds due to how little attention we get from the media, and how negative most of that attention is anyway ("The Greens are a leftie rabble who put fluffy animals, drugs and sexual freedom above the economy"). When I show that I am a Greens member for serious non-esoteric reasons, and that I'm not a hippie stereotype but a relatively boring computer programmer, it normalises the image of the party a little. That they are an actual choice to vote for in the election. Whenever the Greens get bashed in discussion, in this thread and elsewhere, it's rarely over their policy platform.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The Greens branding and name is, if not fine (it is perfectly fine IMO) not the main thing dragging down our potential successes considering we face probably the most hostile media landscape out of any party not because our logo is a triangle but because we actually want to seriously improve most people's lives and standard of living. As long as that's the case the smears will never ever stop but if that does change then there's no reason to vote Green anyway and they'll continue as long as we're even slightly to the left of Abbott so :rip:

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 30, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I just want a leftist party that tastes like real left

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Genuine question: if not the ALP, where should they have gone?

I don't know; perhaps they should sell their preferences more dearly though. ALP benefit doubly by throwing rocks at them publicly and doing deals in the back room, don't imagine the electorate can't see that. If you listened to the current Buzzfeed political podcast, the narrative from the big parties is, don't cozy up to them, they'll steal your primary vote, and that's absolutely true because they're supposed to.

They're supposed to lose their primary vote to other parties if they keep playing this business as usual bullshit and neither major party so far has been willing to face that honestly. That too, riles the electorate who feel ignored.

I feel as long as the Greens play this game the way the ALP wants, they'll get nowhere. If they're forced to give their preferences somewhere, give it to the least likely to win, or perhaps do a preference sharing deal among minor parties so the message finally gets through to the majors: no preferences for you today.

Of course this is merely frustration with the current state of affairs, I don't think the Greens are up to playing hardball, its my biggest gripe with them.

Beetphyxious posted:

You would stop being involved with the greens if their policies remained, but they rebranded? I don't believe that, it makes absolutely no sense outside of sports team politics.

I wish you would rebrand your posting.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 30, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

the blind sip test favours one nation

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

I wish you would rebrand your posting.

don't need to when you're on top :smug:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The intelligentsia run this loving town now, dawg

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bell jar posted:

This is also a part of the problem I think. If we have strong leftist policies such as free universal access to tertiary education, and dental care for all but nobody ever talks about them, nobody publicises them, our spokespeople for them spend their time talking about the environment instead, and we're not given any campaign materials for them, do we have strong leftist policies? :thunk:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kafka Syrup posted:

My understanding is she was an “active member” in the same way she’s an “independent journalist” for Labor. She was invested, semicompetent and loud so was on track for candidature at some point.

But in the course of six months, Vic Greens started going hard against pokies and Fed Greens supported the part pension changes.

Her parents are apparently “working class” owners of several pubs with large investments in pokies companies and were in the process of retiring.

The changes materially impacted her parents wealth. All the political capital she thought she’d built up in the party wasn’t enough to change their positions on these things. Her allies and MP contacts weren’t supporting her positions.

So she left and basically vowed to destroy the Greens for betraying her personally.

(see also why she’s constantly trying to make pokies and greyhound racing “Labor working class” issues)

hmm this is an interesting and somewhat new (to me) theory.

i can't find much in a quick search about her parents owning several venues, just that her dad worked as a manager in one. i'll look into that a bit further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Aesculus posted:

This is also a part of the problem I think. If we have strong leftist policies such as free universal access to tertiary education, and dental care for all but nobody ever talks about them, nobody publicises them, our spokespeople for them spend their time talking about the environment instead, and we're not given any campaign materials for them, do we have strong leftist policies? :thunk:

no no aesculus, it is us who are wrong. the greens are doing great atm.

• Locked thread