Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

dantheman650 posted:

Except squats. gently caress squats forever. I’ve been doing them 2x a week for the last few years and they never get easier.

Do them 6-7 times a week for a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Do them 6-9 times a day until your dick explodes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Harveygod posted:

Do them 6-9 times a day until your dick explodes.

Dick has exploded now what?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zil posted:

Dick has exploded now what?

make salami

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Jove Tone posted:

I'm ok with squats but calves can gently caress right off. I have been hitting them 2x a week for years and i can probably calf-raise about 500lbs bit they look the loving same as they ever did.

You get the calves you're gonna have, they're never gonna change.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just started lifting... sort of. Off the booze so starting slow. I cancelled my membership to the YMCA because it was too expensive, lovely equipment and all of the poo poo was for seniors, and I just wasn't going. I signed up for Planet Fitness. Seriously. Planet Fitness. It's cheap and makes sense at the moment. I'm not lifting heavy. I'm going sometimes just to walk for an hour. I'm probably doing everything wrong that you guys don't do. I'm not going for strength right now. Honestly I'm really just going to go. Full body workout twice (hopefully) a week using mostly machines because they obviously don't have a lot of free weights.

I know, I know. But none of this is a joke. Planet Fitness lol. Just trying to get my life together and starting off simple. Very, very slow and very, very simple.

I do however, love salami. I really need to get some. I haven't had it in a while. Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese and salami on Wheat Thins or Tricuits. However, I have been known to just rip open the plastic, take a huge bite, and put it back in the fridge. We have some decent stuff out here in WI.

No one's gonna knock you for going to Planet Fitness. I lift at my local Y because it's cheap and since there's no legit gym near town it's a mix of old and young people. This was good for me because I started out real slow, just getting in the habit of going, and I wasn't out of place, but being around bigger guys doing real lifting did help motivate me to get more serious about it. Now as I reach or surpass their level I realize those guys are not actually jacked but weak and I long for a real gym that allows chalk and has deadlift platforms.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

No one's gonna knock you for going to Planet Fitness. I lift at my local Y because it's cheap and since there's no legit gym near town it's a mix of old and young people. This was good for me because I started out real slow, just getting in the habit of going, and I wasn't out of place, but being around bigger guys doing real lifting did help motivate me to get more serious about it. Now as I reach or surpass their level I realize those guys are not actually jacked but weak and I long for a real gym that allows chalk and has deadlift platforms.
You sound ready.

It is time to find a powerlifting gym and realize that you have, in fact, surpassed no one of consequence and are in fact the one who is weak.

Then your real training can begin.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's 86 Fahrenheit in my apartment. The towel I use to wipe off excess sweat is soaked through by the end of a workout. Great excuse to eat lots of salami, need to replenish salts. :coolfish:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The only sure fire way to grow your calves is to become a fat person

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've been back at the Y during my summer between semesters. Haven't missed a day's exercise since I started on March 29 and it's been great for my mental health though I occasionally will have a philosophical dilemma where I have no output for the strength I've gained and I question the point of daily lifting.

I've enjoyed "target months" in June and now I've almost finished July, concentrating on classically underdeveloped areas. In June it was my lower back and legs, which saw great gains in my squat, deadlift and leg press numbers and my butt is lifted af. July has been upper back month and four weeks in I'm finally seeing the fruits of my efforts.

Dragging my heels to August though. Going to concentrate on core cause it's still made of pizza and Bad Carbs on account I refuse to change my garbo eating habits. I want what have been described by women as "gently caress me" hips (I knew them as the hip cut).

I thought about going to a real meathead gym, but the Y is so affordable and generally never busy during the times I go (early/mid morning, never peak bro evening), and my own wildly unrealistic motivations are enough to keep me going. Welp that's my gym story thanks for reading.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

philosophical dilemma where I have no output for the strength I've gained and I question the point of daily lifting.
As an office/school person who has been questioned as to why I go to the gym "so much" by colleagues allow me to say this: the entire point of lifting is to (ideally) become a healthier more physically fit person.

In tyool 2018 physical activity is purely an elective pursuit unless you're in a profession that requires physical fitness which, for your typical office jockey, is rare. No sports will have a "real life" output. Lifting weights wont get you a promotion at work, spin class won't make you a better accountant/IT guy/engineer, running a marathon won't land you that big contract.

You just have to be confident that bettering yourself through weights/swimming/choose a sport, will just make you a more well rounded and capable person mentally as well as physically. And being confident that you are enabling yourself to have a longer, more healthy life.

er wait i mean you gotta deadlift heavy so you can be ready to lift a bus to save the trapped swedish lingerie team who will shower you with love and affection and ask you to be their collective trophy husband

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Good points all around, thanks :)

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I use my brutal grip strength to crush la croix cans to impress the ladies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm sure as gently caress not doing it to be "healthier".

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

We all got different goals :shrug:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

In tyool 2018 physical activity is purely an elective pursuit unless you're in a profession that requires physical fitness which, for your typical office jockey, is rare. No sports will have a "real life" output. Lifting weights wont get you a promotion at work, spin class won't make you a better accountant/IT guy/engineer, running a marathon won't land you that big contract.

Hurting myself moving something back and forth endlessly without actually accomplishing or building anything other than the ability to do these tasks slightly better/faster definitely prepares me for being a software contractor where I hurt myself physically and mentally to do the same stupid poo poo that people pay me for over and over.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://i.imgur.com/HELmdfq.mp4

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dude skipped leg day one too many times

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Time posted:

dude skipped leg day one too many times

or he took this advice

Dum Cumpster posted:

Do them 6-7 times a week for a couple months.

:rip:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Girly ab veins.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gross

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
someone get that chick some salami stat jfc.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I've been traveling for 2 months and have lost 20+ lbs.

China, not even once.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
tapeworm diet?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
American Chinese food is delicious and made from recognizable proteins and good flavors.

Mainland China is... less like that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

sassassin posted:

I just wanna know I am stronger than anyone I see "on the street". I wanna see them cower before my bulging deltoids.

*Not really. Working out is a way to control your life, all of it. Your muscles don't care about anxieties or fears, and if you try to work out hung over, that poo poo is not gonna fly. It's easy to think too much about things, but it's also easy to reduce thought until there is nothing left except the kettlebell and the next set of swings.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 29, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Being strong and fit feels good. It just feels good all over. Your body and brain love that poo poo. That's the main reason to lift

Bonus perks:

* People seem to automatically respect you more than before
* Clothes look so much better on you than ever before
* Women like you more
* When that one moment comes when someone has to lift a heavy thing, you can be the dude to lift it, thus immediately becoming the bossest fucker in the room

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Zzulu posted:

Being strong and fit feels good. It just feels good all over. Your body and brain love that poo poo. That's the main reason to lift

Bonus perks:

* Women like you more
* When that one moment comes when someone has to lift a heavy thing, you can be the dude to lift it, thus immediately becoming the bossest fucker in the room

Energy level is higher, existence is less painful.

Women somehow feel emboldened to say things like "I can tell you've been lifting a lot" which is not the kind of thing I'd probably want to say to a woman in TYOOL 2018.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Bonus perks:

* Women like you more

Preach it brother.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Bonus perks:

* Women like you more

lol at this self respecting weirdo

Just lol

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I endorse it all but to mention this specifically, it's a thing that's hard to describe, but real. It has made me uncomfortable a few times even, you don't need to show deference shortie, we are all humans here.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

quote:

Women like you more

Energy level is higher, existence is less painful.

Women somehow feel emboldened to say things like "I can tell you've been lifting a lot"

Fake news.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Weightlifting lets you feel good about yourself while simultaneously feel completely unsatisfied with yourself.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Weightlifting lets you feel good about yourself while simultaneously feel completely unsatisfied with yourself.

This hits the nail right on the head.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Chinatown posted:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Strangers will also no longer assume that you are intelligent just because you look like a nerd. Because you now look like a meat head, and meathead = dumb

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently I accidentally skipped a week of my Smolov Jr program, which would explain why it was going so loving hard today :doh:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zzulu posted:

Bonus perks:

* Women like you more

If I've been lifting since before I was an adult do I need PEDs to see these gains?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mobby_6kl posted:

So apparently I accidentally skipped a week of my Smolov Jr program, which would explain why it was going so loving hard today :doh:

Lol why are you doing smolov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Khorne posted:

I have no idea. And yeah, it was hard to find them 8 months ago. I can't imagine now.

These were the cheapest 2s I could find at the time.

So I bought a pair off ebay. The color is hideous but they were under a hundred bucks so whatever. Tried them out today. They are pretty darn tight but not unbearable for an hour or so. Hopefully they'll break in well but if not I'm not worried. It's not like I'm running in them. drat these shoes are loving heavy. That's going to take some getting used to. I usually do little adjustments to my stance after unracking but my gym has this weird padded floor and these shoes won't budge on it. Probably better in the long run. Overall I'm super happy with them. Was able to front squat without killing my lower back or falling over, and kept my form better to depth on back squats. A+ would recommend.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 31, 2018