Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hoodwinker posted:

While I know it's not cheaper than living in somewhere like Des Moines, Chicago is comparatively much cheaper compared to the other big cities like Seattle, New York, SF, Denver, or Austin. It's a good city to work in as a programmer without having to deal with tech city prices.

Please don't blow our cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Barry posted:

Please don't blow our cover
Sorry, uh, Chicago is a deathtrap where you're guaranteed to be shot and it's literally mad max over here

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hoodwinker posted:

Sorry, uh, Chicago is a deathtrap where you're guaranteed to be shot and it's literally mad max over here
I saw a play about Chicago and this matches my expectations, but also with singing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Duckman2008 posted:

All the mid west cities are pretty cheap outside of Chicago. It wasn’t the reason I moved, but moving from east coast the the mid west has been a noticeable change in cost of living. RIP beaches though.

Cleveland has beaches!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hoodwinker posted:

This actually makes it very GWM, because you can reduce your necessary retirement savings to zero simply by moving to Chicago and planning to be murdered before you get too old.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Beaches exist on the lakes, I miss the ocean tho which I think is what you meant

What I miss most about Des Moines, if anything, is the surfing

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Look at this guy who never surfed on Lake Superior in a blizzard. Just need lots of wetsuit.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Beaches are a required part of life. Portland is on the edge of "too far from the ocean".

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Ashcans posted:

This actually makes it very GWM, because you can reduce your necessary retirement savings to zero simply by moving to Chicago and planning to be murdered before you get too old.

This is unironically what I tell people when they comment on my less than ideal diet. Like yeah being healthy and promoting your own longetivity is generally A Good Thing but is it really in current day US? Zero retirement savings + stupid, stupid healthcare system makes living to a ripe old age sound exremely not worth it. Instead I'll indulge in what peak humanity has to offer, at least before the downfall gains too much momentum and we're all forced into forming local raiding mini tribes

Now if you'll excuse me, I saw a burger bar during my morning commute that I've yet to patronize, and I bet they'll slap on a fried egg if I ask nicely

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Have you considered saving for retirement

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Fried eggs are healthy

You know there's a difference between battered and oil dipped "fried" and put on a hot pan "fried" I hope?!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Spokes posted:

Have you considered saving for retirement

Hey, I'm working on it! Never had a job that offers any sort of retirement despite having some pretty solid, well-paying gigs that have given me world-class credentials

I guess my next job should really be one with real benefits now that I've been tried, tested, and mom-approved...but this is probably a discussion for another thread around these parts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Indeed it is a shame that there is no sort of... "Individual" Retirement Account :negative:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Indeed it is a shame that there is no sort of... "Individual" Retirement Account :negative:

They would be the vanguard of a new industry if someone developed one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The idea that you can retire solely on a $5.5k/yr maxed IRA is the joke of the century. The limits are so insultingly low.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Thus making it pointless to even try *nods sagely*

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
…and don't call me Ross said with a lisp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bhodi posted:

The idea that you can retire solely on a $5.5k/yr maxed IRA is the joke of the century. The limits are so insultingly low.

who has this idea

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who has this idea
Anyone not familiar with finances or who expects to take words at face value

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have met people who think IRA is for your own retirement and a 401k is how you fund your employer's pension payouts to current retirees

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The problem is that lots of people don't understand the difference between the tax structure of an account (ira, 401k) and the mutual fund/investment options in the account. And that you can invest money outside of a 401k or IRA.

I don't really have a point other than people are kind of amazingly stupid.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Droo posted:

And a lot of people seem to be bizarrely proud of their willful ignorance around finances.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Speaking of retirement, I hate to say it, but I think my mom qualifies as BWM. She's 55, and just revealed that her retirement plan is to work until she dies. Considering her current health, it is much more likely that she will be physically unable to work that long and have to retire early. She contributes 1% :psyduck: of her pay to her 401k. She said she's nervous to contribute more in case there is a downturn like what happened in 2008 (so she's missed a decade of market growth).

She's worked relatively low paying jobs most of her life, so social security won't be that much.

She also recently took out a car loan with a 12% apr.

I'm pregnant, so when she dropped this bombshell I'm terrified for her now. She didn't say anything but I really hope she's not expecting me to be her retirement plan. I have my own retirement to plan for, and not to mention my own family to provide for. I love my mom, but I refuse to take money from my children's future to provide for someone who already had their opportunities and made poor choices.

Luckily, I will not have to worry about this for a while, but i know that she's not going to suddenly see the light and have retirement figured out. She also won't take advice from me, the one whose diapers she used to change.

:sigh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A lot of us will be in the same situation in the next 15 years, where we decide whether to bail out our idiot parents or let 'em languish

Retirement balances for the 55+ crowd are truly chilling

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ebola Roulette posted:

I'm pregnant, so when she dropped this bombshell I'm terrified for her now. She didn't say anything but I really hope she's not expecting me to be her retirement plan. I have my own retirement to plan for, and not to mention my own family to provide for. I love my mom, but I refuse to take money from my children's future to provide for someone who already had their opportunities and made poor choices.

Luckily, I will not have to worry about this for a while, but i know that she's not going to suddenly see the light and have retirement figured out. She also won't take advice from me, the one whose diapers she used to change.

When you have kids, you end up treating your parents differently. You need to provide for the former first and the latter second. My dad needs a kidney and I can't give him one because of the risk it would impose on myself and my ability to care for my children (I'm also not in good enough health to give him one, but even if I were, my kids and their needs come first). It sucks but it's the way things are when you have kids.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of us will be in the same situation in the next 15 years, where we decide whether to bail out our idiot parents or let 'em languish

My 68 year old father, still working and still paying debts. Dude has three (3!) pensions, collecting social security (I assume), had a 401k and somehow still needs that income to “pay debts” and “make ends meet”

Being a baby boomer is bwm

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We as a society seem to have collectively forgotten that this is a large part of why Social Security was enacted in the first place. Elder poverty was devastating in the 1930s-1940s, and elderly people working until they literally dropped dead was a "normal" thing. Social Security (and Medicare) were arguably the primary drivers of reversing the trend, and in the course of 50 or so years people aged 65+ went from the age cohort most likely to be impoverished to the least likely.

Due to so many people being ignorant when it comes to financial planning, Social Security is literally the only thing keeping a very large number of elderly people off the streets or from dropping dead on the job when they really can't/shouldn't be working anymore. And unfortunately a vocal group of people out there, mostly older, want to dismantle SS and return to this norm.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Well yeah, they already got everyone leashed on the front end with college debt, the last grand untapped reserve of labor is the elderly and the very young

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ebola Roulette posted:

By the time you're changing her diapers she'll finally have to listen.

I've bemoaned my mom's situation before, but she was flat broke at age 42 after a divorce and pinched and saved everything she could for the next 25 years until she had a more than comfortable retirement. Then she got COPD from a lifetime of smoking and is now confined to a bed. She literally got to enjoy none of it unless you count cable TV as a benefit.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Droo posted:

The problem is that lots of people don't understand the difference between the tax structure of an account (ira, 401k) and the mutual fund/investment options in the account. And that you can invest money outside of a 401k or IRA.

To be fair the variety and nuances and optimization strategies and stupid pointless relationship to one's employer that generally defines tax-advantaged retirement savings in United States is unnecessary complicated. It isn't really fair to call people stupid who do not intuitively understand the layers of complication involved in understanding and using all of the available vehicles. Unsurprisingly this results in a system that primarily benefits high-income educated workers.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

To be fair the variety and nuances and optimization strategies and stupid pointless relationship to one's employer that generally defines tax-advantaged retirement savings in United States is unnecessary complicated. It isn't really fair to call people stupid who do not intuitively understand the layers of complication involved in understanding and using all of the available vehicles. Unsurprisingly this results in a system that primarily benefits high-income educated workers.

Understanding that a 401k is different from a mutual fund is so complex that we shouldn't expect an adult living in the United States in 2018 to be able to do it?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Grind the boomers into hamburgers.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"Do 401ks get pretty good returns?" is a question I hear allllllllllll the time

Very few people under 30 understand that it's a vessel and not a holding.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Also Des Moines is a totally affordable, very pleasant city in which to reside.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've bemoaned my mom's situation before, but she was flat broke at age 42 after a divorce and pinched and saved everything she could for the next 25 years until she had a more than comfortable retirement. Then she got COPD from a lifetime of smoking and is now confined to a bed. She literally got to enjoy none of it unless you count cable TV as a benefit.

My inlaws did everything right and retired a bit early (59) into a very comfortable situation. Three years in and my FiL died of pancreatic cancer, just when they'd planned to start traveling extensively.

Life is a real loving bitch sometimes.

Meanwhile my own father has Gumped his way into enough money to live off of (when combined with social security) for what are probably not a lot of remaining years. However he has no idea what to do with it besides tossing some into CDs.

My grandmother had a 401(k) and all the money in four mutual funds. My dad had me review the most recent statements. Somehow three of the four funds lost money over the last five years. That blows my mind. The managers had to be actively trying to suck for that to happen.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also Des Moines is a totally affordable, very pleasant city in which to reside.

I'm going to move downtown next year and reassess. I never should have even thought of living in Ankeny.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

My grandmother had a 401(k) and all the money in four mutual funds. My dad had me review the most recent statements. Somehow three of the four funds lost money over the last five years. That blows my mind. The managers had to be actively trying to suck for that to happen.

Post the tickers. Assuming your grandmother's holding have been in those funds the whole time and the advisors weren't churning.

Droo posted:

Understanding that a 401k is different from a mutual fund is so complex that we shouldn't expect an adult living in the United States in 2018 to be able to do it?

Whatever the expectation, the reality is that most people don't know much about retirement and don't save. You can blame them, but that doesn't really help anything. The myriad terms and rules and terrible 401(k) plans and "advisors" with no fiduciary duty and an industry that is designed to extract money from people's retirement doesn't help either. See above.

Inept fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 30, 2018

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

:catstare: How is that even possible? Are they cash funds?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

OneTruePecos posted:

:catstare: How is that even possible? Are they cash funds?

Cash funds wouldn't lose money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I dont have the paperwork, but they were funds aimed at the elderly with a focus on low volatility stocks. Which on the surface is fine, common wisdom is to get more conservative with investments as you age. But drat...

I'll try to get my dad to send the ticker symbols so I can share.