Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No worries man. Sorry its been busy and couldnt talk on discord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone ever used Post 9/11 for coding bootcamp stuff? I'm thinking of using some of my remaining GI Bill months for something along the lines of data visualization and the like. I'm graduating with a GIS degree but have essentially zero programming skills (especially python, etc.), figure it'd be beneficial for employment prospects.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Google “learn python the hard way” and save your GI Bill unless you’re after some type of certification or something.

Just my opinion. Google is for learning. The GI Bill is for credentials.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Got the official "no" from the school

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Google “learn python the hard way” and save your GI Bill unless you’re after some type of certification or something.

Just my opinion. Google is for learning. The GI Bill is for credentials.

I would but I have state level education benefits that will pay 100% of a master's degree for me. If I have remaining VA months I'd have to use those in conjunction with the state benefits as the state requires any VA benefits to be used first, therefore it makes sense to burn my VA months on something else first.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
All this talk about math is making my head hurt.

So glad my Classes this Semester are Intro to MEMS, Technical Problem Solving, and Electronics Fabrication.
This is going to be skate in comparison.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Got the official "no" from the school

Yeah, that's some bullshit. Start raising hell.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

While that's a very clever idea, I would also tread carefully in negotiations unless you know the opposing party well enough.

Late to the response, and while my response was bombastic, I was definitely cautious in how I approached this. I stated during my interview that I was committed to finishing my MS, already had a thesis and a degree plan etc. I didn't say take it or leave it, but I made apparent that it would be a thing that weighed heavily on a decision if I were to receive an offer.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Donor said no.

Great.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Did the scholarship say it would only pay to tuition? If you're applying for a scholarship that will only cover tuition, yeah, welp you've already got that. Keep looking and applying for money, especially grants as mentioned. One of my buddies here has gotten around $20k this year off of "other expenses associated with attending" -type scholarships. He's a real academic superstar, so mileage varies

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Donor said no.

Great.

See if you can return/cancel the scholarship and ask them to give it to someone who needs it then. It loving sucks you can't use it to get your supplies, but right now it's just a $5000 check to the VA and gently caress that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. It sucks and I wouldnt have known any better. I definitely feel taken advantage of.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would pay back to me instead of the school?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Im gonna try to convince my counselor to let me do a masters program abroad.

gently caress it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
edit- already answered my own drat question

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Signing a rental lease tonight. What’s the best tool you’ve found for finding roommates? It would almost probably be cheaper to buy a condo at this point but schools coming up quick and this place is actually really nice and only a few minutes away from campus. This has so far been harder than getting into the school or any of my summer classes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cenen posted:

Signing a rental lease tonight. What’s the best tool you’ve found for finding roommates?

I rescued Monty. So maybe a rescue shelter.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

I rescued Monty. So maybe a rescue shelter.

Current four legged roommate does not positively contribute to this houses expenses and I do not believe he will change even with a cross country move.

https://i.imgur.com/5m3X1Gg.jpg

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Cenen posted:

Signing a rental lease tonight. What’s the best tool you’ve found for finding roommates? It would almost probably be cheaper to buy a condo at this point but schools coming up quick and this place is actually really nice and only a few minutes away from campus. This has so far been harder than getting into the school or any of my summer classes.

Roommates are always a coin flip. I usually went with someone I knew and trusted going into the deal. Past that, Post an ad on campus, see what turns up?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cenen posted:

I decided about a week before I did it that I was moving from Seattle back to Pennsylvania. Just posted a want ad on Craigslist and got half a dozen offers within 24 hours. You actually get a good feel for people by the effort put into emails. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

Got the last grade in, A- so I'm pretty excited.

Viva Miriya posted:

IM IN MOTHERFUCKERS

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this still isn't real to me

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Viva Miriya posted:

this still isn't real to me

bz, buddy

I passed Calc II, I'm pretty stoked about it. I actually really think I can earn my bachelor's degree for the first time. It's crazy to think about how I got here.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

DownByTheWooter posted:

bz, buddy

I passed Calc II, I'm pretty stoked about it. I actually really think I can earn my bachelor's degree for the first time. It's crazy to think about how I got here.
I took it 15 years ago in community college but my university is only giving me transfer credit for I, so I'm retaking II this fall. You got any tips what to review to prep myself?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Masters work is 1/3rd done. That cut between A- and A can be a giant pain in the rear end since I need enough "perfect" work. 3.8 cum right now.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

I took it 15 years ago in community college but my university is only giving me transfer credit for I, so I'm retaking II this fall. You got any tips what to review to prep myself?

Maybe obvious, but if you can't just whip out simple Power Rule and u-sub indefinite integrals the day you walk in, you are starting way behind the blocks.

Trig identities, too

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Apparently I need to get up to Calculus and knock out some basic micro/macro for grad school. Time to step up this Khan Academy poo poo. Anyone goons wanna share some wisdom about their own "learning to math" experiences?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Viva Miriya posted:

Apparently I need to get up to Calculus and knock out some basic micro/macro for grad school. Time to step up this Khan Academy poo poo. Anyone goons wanna share some wisdom about their own "learning to math" experiences?

After math stopped being this thing that I was just good enough at to figure out in my head (pretty much Calculus onward), literally the only factor that ever mattered to my success was the sheer quantity of practice problems I did. There was no shortcut. Good college-level math teachers will suggest practice problems out of whatever textbook you're using. Do those, and then do as many more as you can stand. And do some before the class that teaches how to do them.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

After math stopped being this thing that I was just good enough at to figure out in my head (pretty much Calculus onward), literally the only factor that ever mattered to my success was the sheer quantity of practice problems I did. There was no shortcut. Good college-level math teachers will suggest practice problems out of whatever textbook you're using. Do those, and then do as many more as you can stand. And do some before the class that teaches how to do them.

I'm going to have to really step up my self-discipline to make that happen but its doable.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

This has been my road to B's that should have been F's in Statistics and whatever else. Read book, run problems, repeat ad infinitum. Fit in YouTube and other online support. It sucks but go in knowing there's no "One Quick Trick", that you will have to do the work and that it will pay off.

You've already done the hard part by getting motivated enough to get in, doing the work shouldn't be a prob.

Ugh, screw you making me feel bad with a 3.5 EBB. I feel better knowing I'm taking 1+ extra classes a quarter and doing a bunch of other crap. I'm getting tempted to apply for a PhD program, someone tell me this is a bad idea.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I'm an old. Just passed Math 126 which seems really low for you lot, but the tools that helped me were Desmos.com, Mathway.com and Kuta software. Don't know if these work for higher math levels but I'm most appreciative of their value at my level.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This is what I did. Every chapter, do the practice problems over and over until you've memorized the answers by default. Not because the memorization is the point, but because by that point of repetition, you should have the processes and procedures sunk into your brain.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
If you are having trouble following the book or lecture check out Pauls Online Math Notes http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ It covers Calc I-III and Differential Equations. I started using it in Calc III when the teacher completely lost me and it helped me out in Diff E. recently.

Calc II has been my only C so far in college. I honestly should have failed it. Somehow my 61% curved into a C. I would take it again but I don't think Voc Rehab wants me wasting time taking a class I technically already passed.

Oh well. I got Applied Matrix Theory this fall. I believe Neo.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I did calc II twice. The first time I didn't do the """optional""" homework since it wasn't part of my grade and got thoroughly slapped with a D. Second time I did every problem two or three times and got an A.

So do the problems as others have said.

Someone showed me a first exam for the inorganic chemistry class I'm taking this fall and it's gonna be a bumpy four months.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I e-mailed my advisor about doing a PhD today :suicide:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
VR&E denied my college plans, so now I’m gonna see if I have enough time to use post 9/11. Class starts Sep 5. How hosed am I?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

VR&E denied my college plans, so now I’m gonna see if I have enough time to use post 9/11. Class starts Sep 5. How hosed am I?

Yeah when I went to Voc Rehab the guy really didn't seem to think finishing my degree was a very good idea

Big part of why I feel like this was all a big mistake lol whoops guess I just wasted 4 years of my life

In any case, my GI Bill processing stuff only ever takes a week or two, so you should be good as long as you are still within your university's deadlines for getting registered and everything

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
I loved my Calculus classes. My Calc I was in a huge auditorium with a few hundred students. Calc II was in a regular class room, about 25 students. Our teacher was some "on the spectrum" nut who would flip out over anything. One time a student walked up and picked up his test, which was on the front desk. The teacher flipped out, and the student didn't understand since English is not his first language, and clearly did not understand much to begin with. So the two were in a stalemate. Needless to say, it was hilarious.

Anyways, just about every upper level class I took, the median grade was around 60%, so that curve was nice.

Crusher3
Aug 10, 2018

I'm not an early bird or a night owl. I am some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.

The Rat posted:

This is what I did. Every chapter, do the practice problems over and over until you've memorized the answers by default. Not because the memorization is the point, but because by that point of repetition, you should have the processes and procedures sunk into your brain.

That's what I did for my Discrete Math class. Even though I still find some of it to just be mathematical witchcraft, I can get it done.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

7 Days til class starts again.
I wonder how much beer I can drink in that time?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MrDesaude posted:

7 Days til class starts again.
I wonder how much beer I can drink in that time?

A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
hell the gently caress yeah, got an interview Friday morning to be a research assistant

need some dude to run a machine that shoots laser beams at little tiny rocks to measure them

i can be your dude for that