Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ephraim225 posted:

So I don't know if this has been asked or not but...are there any decent full-length fangames? Like, at all? All I can think of is Adventure Red (it follows the manga storyline, but even this one has problems). EDIT: On second thought, I did like Quartz from a "so bad it's good" angle.

Altered Emerald is pretty drat great tbh.

Soup du Jour posted:

Twitch Plays Pokemon Anniversary Crystal. They hacked gen 6 mechanics into gen 2, and made a whole new storyline and level curve for Crystal.

Phys/Spe split and all that? Seems definitely interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you count overhauls of a different kind, there's the difficulty hacks (BlazeBlack, et al.), and they're better than most because instead of just beating you over the head, they give you an absurd variety of available mons, and even buff the weak ones. (My favorite is still Fighting/Flying Farfetch'd with 110 Base Attack and Sacred Sword.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

EclecticTastes posted:

It's alright, thinking about Pokemon and its competitors led me to finishing up Digimon Tri and now I'm writing up some homebrew rules for Digimon as a tabletop RPG with plans to run a campaign of it in The Game Room once I'm done so we're all having terrible ideas thanks (indirectly) to Reborn.

There actually is a serviceable Digimon tabletop game already, found here: http://digimon-digital-adventures.tumblr.com/

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ephraim225 posted:

So I don't know if this has been asked or not but...are there any decent full-length fangames? Like, at all? All I can think of is Adventure Red (it follows the manga storyline, but even this one has problems). EDIT: On second thought, I did like Quartz from a "so bad it's good" angle.

Most of them are Touhou fangames with Pokemon trappings, or Pokemon romhacks that insert Touhous into them instead of pokemon.

The rest have generally been mentioned here.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

There was that romhack Crystal Clear I heard about recently that somehow put level-scaling gyms and some open-world elements into Gen II.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

We're doing this to avoid one rock. Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Leraika posted:

There actually is a serviceable Digimon tabletop game already, found here: http://digimon-digital-adventures.tumblr.com/

After a perusal of their PDF handbook, I can conclusively say no there most certainly is not. :stonk:

What there is is overcomplicated, vastly overdesigned gibberish. Like, I knew going in that my stuff was going to be a lot simpler than any more organized fanwork*, but I figured I might be able to crib a decent idea or two from what they've got, and there is literally nothing I could use from their mechanics. I mean, thank you for the helpful sentiment and all, the thought is appreciated, but I think I'll continue writing my own Digimon RPG rules.

*Fanmade RPGs for anime/video games are almost always overcomplicated because the fans don't realize you don't need hard rules for every single detail of every single thing that happened or could have happened in the source material.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, but he's also probably the only rival who actually felt like another kid. He loves Pokemon, he wants to go everywhere and see everything and be a part of this crazy world. Kind of like Hau in Gen 7, except Hau fails as a rival because he's just out for a walk and isn't really trying to do anything much for a lot of the game. Barry also feels like you genuinely grew up with him, rather than you being told that no really this blank cipher of a person is your friend honestly.

Compare with the endless 'I must get stronger, I hate the weak and also don't really understand emotions' of almost every other (male) rival ever. Or the whiny uselessness of May and Bianca, and Dawn to some extent.

Barry's a spaz, but there's something real about him that I kind of like.

It helps that he actually uses something resembling strategy in a lot of his fights once you're past the earlygame. He's still no challenge but you do have to slightly pay attention instead of just steamrolling him. And he beats you to most if not all the gyms so there's some element of actual competition, which is weirdly rare throughout the series - it's really only him, Gary and Wally who are actual rivals instead of random people who jump out at you and demand battles every so often until they give up.

I will fight you on Hau. Hau is a good boy and just wants to eat some malasadas, OK? He does find his purpose as you go through the story, so he's not just along for the ride.

Bianca is cute and she realizes her goal is not to be the best, and that's OK.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

EclecticTastes posted:

After a perusal of their PDF handbook, I can conclusively say no there most certainly is not. :stonk:

What there is is overcomplicated, vastly overdesigned gibberish. Like, I knew going in that my stuff was going to be a lot simpler than any more organized fanwork*, but I figured I might be able to crib a decent idea or two from what they've got, and there is literally nothing I could use from their mechanics. I mean, thank you for the helpful sentiment and all, the thought is appreciated, but I think I'll continue writing my own Digimon RPG rules.

*Fanmade RPGs for anime/video games are almost always overcomplicated because the fans don't realize you don't need hard rules for every single detail of every single thing that happened or could have happened in the source material.

No problem! Didn't want to have you reinvent the wheel if I could point you at another wheel that worked just as well, or something, this metaphor is getting away from me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Leraika posted:

No problem! Didn't want to have you reinvent the wheel if I could point you at another wheel that worked just as well, or something, this metaphor is getting away from me.

Don't sweat it, there have been times when I've been working on throwing rules together and that exact situation happened, where somebody else had written a game that was pretty much exactly what I was in the process of writing, or better. This instance would be more the exception than the rule.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.
I would say that the best hack I've played would be Pokemon FireRed: Rocket Edition. You get to steal Pokemon, there's a morality system that determines some of the stuff you get, and there's a subplot that ties into what was actually going on behind the scenes. It's not finished yet, but I highly recommend it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of the biggest mistakes in a fan game especially is not making the player character the star of the show. That doesn't mean the player needs to be some all-powerful, invincible, driving force that never suffers setbacks and has to be hip-deep in every bit of plot development (that's also a mistake); but when the player is just there to witness Important NPCs Do Important Things then the player is more likely to check out or even develop outright animosity towards the character or characters who steal the spotlight.

It's kinda messed up that for all of its many flaws, this was something that Uranium managed to more or less get right. Or, at least, more right. Something about broken clocks, really.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

It's kinda messed up that for all of its many flaws, this was something that Uranium managed to more or less get right. Or, at least, more right. Something about broken clocks, really.

It's amazing how much better Uranium looks when you compare it to Reborn.

Not good.

But better.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I am in love with this effect, I can't get enough of it, did any other silent movies play with the intertitles like this?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

F14m3rz posted:

I would say that the best hack I've played would be Pokemon FireRed: Rocket Edition. You get to steal Pokemon, there's a morality system that determines some of the stuff you get, and there's a subplot that ties into what was actually going on behind the scenes. It's not finished yet, but I highly recommend it.

quote:

Overall improved interface and gameplay. Run – inside or outside – from the very start of the game, or use the HM for Fly at your leisure from the moment you step outside. Encounter rates in caves and in water have been significantly reduced, and the player faces every challenged Trainer before battle.
Oh hey this hack has little quality-of-life things that most hacks (and even a couple of the official games) seem to despise with a burning passion.

Whereas in Reborn we've spent what, 2 or 3 updates trying to get around a single goddamn rock?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You can't stop the rock

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

It's alright, thinking about Pokemon and its competitors led me to finishing up Digimon Tri and now I'm writing up some homebrew rules for Digimon as a tabletop RPG with plans to run a campaign of it in The Game Room once I'm done so we're all having terrible ideas thanks (indirectly) to Reborn.

I'd play it.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Raven clearly died in the train explosion, and this is just her version of hell.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I am in love with this effect, I can't get enough of it, did any other silent movies play with the intertitles like this?

Not very often. Metropolis was truly one of a kind.

I'm hardly an expert, though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

KataraniSword posted:

Most of them are Touhou fangames with Pokemon trappings, or Pokemon romhacks that insert Touhous into them instead of pokemon.

The rest have generally been mentioned here.

He said decent, not "unmitigated garbage"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Unfortunately I think Mechamon was never finished

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

We're doing this to avoid one rock. Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!

I bet the rock is just going to get up and be a geodude or something, and it will just peace out. But like an edgy geodude, made out of gravestones or something

e: no, wait, a geodude that is also a rock of drugs

e2: wait, no, a geodude made of crystal meth

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
An alolan Golem except his railguns are tombstones and his beard is made of bones.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A cute pikachu but instead of shooting lightning it shoots itself in the head.

Wait what are we talking about?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kurieg posted:

An alolan Golem except his railguns are tombstones and his beard is made of bones.

That is far too cool to be in Reborn.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

Oh hey this hack has little quality-of-life things that most hacks (and even a couple of the official games) seem to despise with a burning passion.

Whereas in Reborn we've spent what, 2 or 3 updates trying to get around a single goddamn rock?

What does it mean by 'facing' every challenged trainer before battle?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

RyuHimora posted:

I'd play it.

Well now you can.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What kind of character do I need to make to get Mawuh assigned as my Digimon?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

What kind of character do I need to make to get Mawuh assigned as my Digimon?

I had to remove Rum Power for being entirely too powerful, sorry. Gotta keep the other players in mind, y'know?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Sorites posted:

What does it mean by 'facing' every challenged trainer before battle?

I think it means your characters turns to face the other trainer.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

Unfortunately I think Mechamon was never finished

It really bothers me that there isn't a backsprite for Mazinger Z but I guess that would require more effort than just ripping the sprites from SRWA.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

It really bothers me that there isn't a backsprite for Mazinger Z but I guess that would require more effort than just ripping the sprites from SRWA.

I think if they'd gone with J, there might be better sprites for the backs, though, if they wanted to put in that much effort, they may as well just use Pokemon Essentials and sprites from one of the console titles.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Hey, I just noticed the front of the train has that stupid gemstone layout from the room the Big Bad showed us.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yes, that's the Reborn League symbol. It was on the big starter-choosing place too.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Iamgoofball posted:

Hey, I just noticed the front of the train has that stupid gemstone layout from the room the Big Bad showed us.

It's to symbolise that the plot is a train wreck.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Iamgoofball posted:

I just noticed how loving terrible that train sprite is. The front of the train is coming straight towards the camera and obscuring the point where the smokestack meets the engine, while the rest of the train is at an isometric angle.

Also they missed an opportunity to paint an electric train to look like a Pikachu-chu and instead used a steam engine from the 1800s. :v:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The train is popping a sick wheelie

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

A cute pikachu but instead of shooting lightning it shoots itself in the head.

Summoning its Persona?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Geemer posted:

Summoning its Persona?

Okay, now I want to see a fangame where it's Pokemon, except your Pokemon can obtain Personas. And those Persona all have Digimon. And those Digimon are licensed Monster Ranchers. And their monsters find and befriend Yokai. Just 'mon games all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, now I want to see a fangame where it's Pokemon, except your Pokemon can obtain Personas. And those Persona all have Digimon. And those Digimon are licensed Monster Ranchers. And their monsters find and befriend Yokai. Just 'mon games all the way down.

Like when Neopets came out with Petpetpets.