Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah I actually think his arc is pretty great. But it just sort of... Ends. Does Rogue follow up on it or does it more tie in to Unity?

Also the tailing missions in this game were horrendous and I can't believe it took them two more games to realize they should knock that poo poo off.
Rogue is it's own thing really even if some characters are connected with both Black Flag and Unity.

Also gameplay-wise Rogue is the pinnacle of the Black Flag-era AC formula (before Unity started the new cycle) where they got rid of all the bad stuff in Black Flag and expanded on all the good stuff - this includes getting rid of the tailing missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palpek posted:

Rogue is it's own thing really even if some characters are connected with both Black Flag and Unity.

Also gameplay-wise Rogue is the pinnacle of the Black Flag-era AC formula (before Unity started the new cycle) where they got rid of all the bad stuff in Black Flag and expanded on all the good stuff - this includes getting rid of the tailing missions.

That owns and I might ditch out on Freedom Cry to go straight to Rogue. As much as hacking up slavers with a machete is cathartic that gameplay pinnacle sounds really tempting.

e: My plan was to play through all the America games in historical chronological order but the side effect is that the modern day plot essentially makes no sense. Not that it really makes sense to begin with anyway.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Be aware though that Rogue isn't perfect as its story gets really dumb compared to both Black Flag and Freedom Cry. It also divides the game world into 2 open areas that you have to load between when you travel which was annoying for some people that enjoyed Black Flag's one big map more (I didn't really care though).

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 30, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palpek posted:

Be aware though that Rogue isn't perfect as its story gets really dumb compared to both Black Flag and Freedom Cry. It also divides the game world into 2 open areas that you have to load between when you travel which was annoying for some people that enjoyed Black Flag's one big map more (I didn't really care though).

That doesn't sound like something I would care about too much and I am all in these games for the stupid stupid plots.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It finally happened; the Ubi fatigue set in. I had finished Hidden Ones and was a decent ways into Curse of the Pharaohs when I realized that I had no desire to infiltrate another fort, killing everyone there (or sneaking by them but that takes longer and you get no rewards for it) and then getting the item/rescuing the guy/reading the note before moving onto the next diamond on the map.

It's a shame too because Thebes is gorgeous compared to Sinai and the crazy plot is a little more interesting, but there's so little variety in the gameplay that I just reached a point of :effort:

I assume it'll come back around eventually, but man, the struggle is real. They really did give me too much of a good thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wolfsheim posted:

It finally happened; the Ubi fatigue set in. I had finished Hidden Ones and was a decent ways into Curse of the Pharaohs when I realized that I had no desire to infiltrate another fort, killing everyone there (or sneaking by them but that takes longer and you get no rewards for it) and then getting the item/rescuing the guy/reading the note before moving onto the next diamond on the map.

It's a shame too because Thebes is gorgeous compared to Sinai and the crazy plot is a little more interesting, but there's so little variety in the gameplay that I just reached a point of :effort:

I assume it'll come back around eventually, but man, the struggle is real.

If Ubi could manage to cram twice the plot into half the game I think I would like their games a lot more. As is they are a massive time commitment and even at their most fun they eventually start getting super repetitive.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm playing Origins for the first time and had a question. The last AC game I played was the very first one. How do I get good at combat? I thought I was doing fine, then I'm at the point in the story where Phylakes start showing up and holy poo poo they kick my rear end. Other than leveling up, how do you deal with strong opponents like that?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Run

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do wish that the Edward got a bit more of an epilogue/resolution in the games themselves rather than the ancillary materials. For example Freedom Cry starts in 1735 which is the year he's killed but then Rogue jumps to 1752. I guess you have to read a comic to see what happens or some poo poo?

e: Though to be fair I think the only characters they have done that for so far has been Altair and (sort of) Ezio, but I think Ezio still has a comic or digital short or something where he actually dies.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 31, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrNutt posted:

That doesn't sound like something I would care about too much and I am all in these games for the stupid stupid plots.

the biggest issues is its too short for its own good. the story has dumb movements especially how loving slow shay is on the uptake.

Node posted:

I'm playing Origins for the first time and had a question. The last AC game I played was the very first one. How do I get good at combat? I thought I was doing fine, then I'm at the point in the story where Phylakes start showing up and holy poo poo they kick my rear end. Other than leveling up, how do you deal with strong opponents like that?

run from the super dudes. the regular big dudes, just dodge and slice.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nope, the whole "america/kenway quadrilogy" (3, 4, rogue and liberation and its various DLCs) are weird beast. 3 is the center story with 4 acting as a prequel straight up prequel sorta. rogue takes place during haythems american years where the templars loving wipe out the american assassins branch and then there is a epilogue that ties into unity. liberation is pretty much its own side story with one bonus mission that ties into 3 in a minor way.

its all a big mess and it didn't help when unity made it an even bigger mess with all the plot poo poo being over complicated as all gently caress.

The weirdest part of it all is the random Aveline dlc in Black Flag :

- nothing whatsoever to do with the main game
- nothing to do with Liberation either except for the protagonist.
- weirdly short but also weirdly long
- obviously recycled assets that fit poorly together. For instance the Aveline character uses Edward's animation but is slightly shorter so when climbing she seems to miss every hold then 'snaps' onto them
- a kind of backdoor coop prototype mission but you play it solo
- seems to set up something but then it just ends
- there's a lady who pulls a piece of Eden out of her bajingo

It's this whole bizarre pileup. I'd really like to hear a candid explanation of the thought process that led to it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

There was Aveline DLC for BF? That's news to me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

The weirdest part of it all is the random Aveline dlc in Black Flag :

- nothing whatsoever to do with the main game
- nothing to do with Liberation either except for the protagonist.
- weirdly short but also weirdly long
- obviously recycled assets that fit poorly together. For instance the Aveline character uses Edward's animation but is slightly shorter so when climbing she seems to miss every hold then 'snaps' onto them
- a kind of backdoor coop prototype mission but you play it solo
- seems to set up something but then it just ends
- there's a lady who pulls a piece of Eden out of her bajingo

It's this whole bizarre pileup. I'd really like to hear a candid explanation of the thought process that led to it.

yeah, i feel like they wanted to bring her back as a character but she is just kinda boring. the whole dress mechanic would be cool if the world reacted differently. that being said its funny to watch you go full super kill mode in a giant lovely dress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I need to finish Origins before this comes out because holy poo poo it looks good as hell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm trying to finish all the rear end Creed games I haven't played or finished before Odyssey comes out because I'm mentally I'll apparently. Namaste.

I have to say I like the snooping around "Abstergo" Entertainment sections of the future plot. I am a big fan of hacking into people's poo poo and reading their emails and I wish I could mod all the enemies out of something like Deus Ex and just make it a game about office snooping.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

I have to say I like the snooping around "Abstergo" Entertainment sections of the future plot. I am a big fan of hacking into people's poo poo and reading their emails and I wish I could mod all the enemies out of something like Deus Ex and just make it a game about office snooping.

I legit enjoyed that too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Same, frankly. I especially enjoyed that it was largely optional and, if you didn't care about snooping around and clicking on everything, you could beeline the modern day bits and be done with them very quickly, but the option was there for people who cared. Very refreshing after AC3.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Node posted:

As someone who went through previous games spamming parry/counter kills, don't ever try to parry. Keep your shield up all the time, but treat it as free yet unreliable mitigation as many enemies can and will break through it. Always be dodging, mostly sideways but sometimes backwards if you're getting swarmed or with dudes that swing across. Kill fire Archers ASAP.

While you're dodging, charge a heavy attack. After your target swings and whiffs, move in and use your charged attack to break his shield/knock him on his rear end and beat him down. IMO you should always have one instant charge weapon, they're amazing and make dealing with enemies a lot quicker and easier. I used the Stick of Bastet from the Helix store from like level 5 until I beat the game on Nightmare. It's instant charge and scepters are loving awesome for clowning on shielded dudes since the charge attack has two hits - the first one will break the shield and the second one knocks them on their rear end. This works on 95% of enemies. I kept a health on kill regular sword in my offhand so I could regen health in big fights - I'd knock them down with the scepter then switch to my sword to finish them off for a shot of health.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seeing Odyssey briefly made me consider picking up Origins but then I realized that your enjoyment of Ubisoft games is directly proportional to how long you have gone without playing one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Seeing Odyssey briefly made me consider picking up Origins but then I realized that your enjoyment of Ubisoft games is directly proportional to how long you have gone without playing one.

its honestly a fun/good game though. though more in the vein of the witcher 3 mixed with souls lite, then old assassins creed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I just don't have the time to commit to it with Tomb Raider + Life is Strange 2 + Odyssey + Soul Calibur 6 all releasing within a month of each other.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hakarne posted:

As someone who went through previous games spamming parry/counter kills, don't ever try to parry. Keep your shield up all the time, but treat it as free yet unreliable mitigation as many enemies can and will break through it. Always be dodging, mostly sideways but sometimes backwards if you're getting swarmed or with dudes that swing across. Kill fire Archers ASAP.

While you're dodging, charge a heavy attack. After your target swings and whiffs, move in and use your charged attack to break his shield/knock him on his rear end and beat him down. IMO you should always have one instant charge weapon, they're amazing and make dealing with enemies a lot quicker and easier. I used the Stick of Bastet from the Helix store from like level 5 until I beat the game on Nightmare. It's instant charge and scepters are loving awesome for clowning on shielded dudes since the charge attack has two hits - the first one will break the shield and the second one knocks them on their rear end. This works on 95% of enemies. I kept a health on kill regular sword in my offhand so I could regen health in big fights - I'd knock them down with the scepter then switch to my sword to finish them off for a shot of health.

Yeah, dodging and charged attacks are very good advice. The thing to remember about charged attacks is that you don't have to stop moving while charging them, so don't forget about them when facing enemies who seem impervious to everything else.

Spears are really good weapons in this game once you get the hang of them. The trick is that instead of the traditional "light" and "heavy" attack that most weapons have, the spear has "sweep" and "thrust" for aoe and single targets respectively. So don't be afraid to mash that "heavy" attack button with spears, it's a very useful single target fast-ish attack. The dodge & thrust combo on the spear is an exceptionally good distance closer.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Wolfsheim posted:

I assume it'll come back around eventually, but man, the struggle is real. They really did give me too much of a good thing.

I had the exact same thing happen at the exact same point last week. I'll probably push on in a month or so, but I seriously doubt I'll be getting Odyssey on release, I just wouldn't enjoy it properly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I just don't have the time to commit to it with Tomb Raider + Life is Strange 2 + Odyssey + Soul Calibur 6 all releasing within a month of each other.

i honestly just decided to get most of the big games around Christmas and birthday and just buy asscreed, spiderman and that fist of the north star game.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Origins is a good rear end game, but Odyssey is 2 months away. I'd just wait for Origins 2.0 if you haven't played Origins 1.0 (I played a ton of Origins and have the ultimate edition of Odyssey pre-ordered, it is all I want this fall)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wolfsheim posted:

Have you gotten to the first tomb/afterlife yet? I was feeling the same way at first, but those parts rocketed my interest back up; even if gameplay wise they're still pretty similar, the environments feel really fresh and fun to explore.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The forced interludes of Black Flag were the only forced interlude bits of any AC game which I thought were interesting in and of themselves and worked well to insert themselves into the pace of the historical plot so that you didn't get sudden '6 months later' screens.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If anything they should have cut all the poo poo with Caroline out because that added approximately nothing to his character. And the story was disjointed enough that I never really got how he went from that reoccurring scene to just becoming a pirate. Was it all bullshit from the start re: privateering and what not?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just assumed as soon as Edward reached the Caribbean, he met Tim Curry and a bunch of Muppets who sang him a song about how awesome it is to be a pirate, and Eddie was just like "Hell yeah, pirate time forever party"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crowetron posted:

I just assumed as soon as Edward reached the Caribbean, he met Tim Curry and a bunch of Muppets who sang him a song about how awesome it is to be a pirate, and Eddie was just like "Hell yeah, pirate time forever party"

Yeah that's good enough of an explanation for me, it's just weird for as slow as the game starts and how long it takes to get through a nearly never ending pirate tutorial, the game never bothers to answer some pretty basic questions about how he got from a to b.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrNutt posted:

I do wish that the Edward got a bit more of an epilogue/resolution in the games themselves rather than the ancillary materials. For example Freedom Cry starts in 1735 which is the year he's killed but then Rogue jumps to 1752. I guess you have to read a comic to see what happens or some poo poo?

e: Though to be fair I think the only characters they have done that for so far has been Altair and (sort of) Ezio, but I think Ezio still has a comic or digital short or something where he actually dies.

I'm pretty sure they talk about Edward in AC3 and how he died, because it's how Haytham became a templar.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Just curious, what are the general thoughts about Syndicate?

I got it a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to have an open-world game to pass the time, and I'm having an incredibly fun time in this game. Really liking the two sibling characters, the setting feels really different from the other ACs I've played(Brotherhood and Black Flag), and am enjoying slowly taking over London via the gang warfare. Especially the Templar Hunts feel fun in that it doesn't feel as if I have to use a walkthrough to kill someone, but can use my own methods to take them down.

The Dreadful Crimes where you're solving murder mysteries alongside a young Arthur Conan Doyle are also extremely my thing. While it does feel sorta hacked into the game with the dialogue and such, I'm finding myself enjoying solving these mysteries far more than, say, LA Noire. They're not the most difficult, but the ones I've played so far always had that "Ah-ha" moment where I personally realised what was going on.

Still, I couldn't help but notice that it wasn't really mentioned in the previous posts. Any particular reason for that?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

Just curious, what are the general thoughts about Syndicate?

I got it a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to have an open-world game to pass the time, and I'm having an incredibly fun time in this game. Really liking the two sibling characters, the setting feels really different from the other ACs I've played(Brotherhood and Black Flag), and am enjoying slowly taking over London via the gang warfare. Especially the Templar Hunts feel fun in that it doesn't feel as if I have to use a walkthrough to kill someone, but can use my own methods to take them down.

The Dreadful Crimes where you're solving murder mysteries alongside a young Arthur Conan Doyle are also extremely my thing. While it does feel sorta hacked into the game with the dialogue and such, I'm finding myself enjoying solving these mysteries far more than, say, LA Noire. They're not the most difficult, but the ones I've played so far always had that "Ah-ha" moment where I personally realised what was going on.

Still, I couldn't help but notice that it wasn't really mentioned in the previous posts. Any particular reason for that?

It's generally liked, but it's not like it changes the franchise in major ways like Origins did. Fun protagonists (I liked the smart sister and dumb brother interactions they had), fun side characters, you can be buddies with Karl Marx, nothing to really complain about.

Good entry in the series, but a little unremarkable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Syndicate is a good, solid game. My main criticisms are that there isn't really a thread to the central plot (you are just told to kill people who are introduced right then, it's a big step back from the Ezio Trilogy or Black Sails where the Templars are persistent antagonists you have a chance to appreciate), and at around the 3/4 mark 'Ubisoft fatigue' hits hard and I stopped caring about trying to get full sync and just rattled through the last part of the game as fast as possible.

Also it introduces for me the Ubisoft MMO-design problem of making a vast open world but you only every travel across it in one direction to sweep up and complete all the tasks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everything I heard about Syndicate seemed to indicate that it was a solid game that had the misfortune of coming out last in a decade of nonstop AC before Origins revamped the formula a little.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Syndicate is really good. The grappling hook, Themes-Frogger, gangs, being able to choose a female protagonist, insanely brutal fatalities, non-combat detective investigation puzzles and a really great expansion all own hard. Imo it's somewhere in the top 5 among 2/Brotherhood, Black Flag/Rogue and Origins.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Syndicate rules because it dispenses with the Assassin initiation and most activities are available to both siblings. Also the soundtrack is ace and Ubisoft did some cool poo poo with the procedurally generated buildings (specific landmarks like St Mark's were done manually while a lot of structures were filled in by an algorithm that pulled from general assets).

It's a bit hard to play now, especially after ACO, but it was pretty good at the time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

corn in the bible posted:

I'm pretty sure they talk about Edward in AC3 and how he died, because it's how Haytham became a templar.

Tbf I haven't played AC3 since release and I'm pretty sure I burnt out on it and quit before I finished it. I'm planning to get to it after Rogue.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Syndicate is kinda boring, definitely don't go back and play it. The grappling hook doesn't make up for the fact the city feels like much more of a copy/paste job than other AC games and the story is uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Syndicate was pretty fun, felt great to be steampunk Batman but the story was ultimately the worst in the mainline series I'd say.

I had a blast with it though, especially just ransacking the Thames.