Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Every year is year one for Store Cultizen
At the end of each year it resets like the groundhog day and they are all trapped in the endless "development" with no refunds to break the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

If I were you, I wouldn't laugh at a person capable of such lethality.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

why the hell would you ever need a dual systems case anyway

I bought a intel NUC for light office work and browsing and running small private servers and the thing is like the footprint of a cellphone with an i7 and 16gb of RAM. why the gently caress would I need two beefy pcs in the same fuckin case. what the gently caress is wrong with people

I believe he uses one of the systems specifically for running everything related to streaming, while the other runs the actual games (and Star Citizen). It's not that unusual among some larger Twitch streamers to just route the audio and video over from a gaming PC to a streaming PC so as to keep the two things separate for stability and performance. :shrug:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

I used to think Derek was kind of a jerk but then I realised he has mild autism

like not trying to joke or whatever, I wish him and his mildly obsessive autism that takes the form of hitting six keys to increase horizontal power to your gravlev drive and writing 10,000 word blogs about terrible space games well

You can have "mild autism" and not be a jerk. He's a jerk.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bofast posted:

I believe he uses one of the systems specifically for running everything related to streaming, while the other runs the actual games (and Star Citizen). It's not that unusual among some larger Twitch streamers to just route the audio and video over from a gaming PC to a streaming PC so as to keep the two things separate for stability and performance. :shrug:

Sure.

But there's still no reason to have both those computers in the same case, as opposed to two cases. It's harder to cool and the cases are more expensive.

But these people spend $1,000s on jpegs that may never actually be playable, so it's more of a "look what I can do" thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The frontier thread people make a good post every now and again :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SoftNum posted:

Sure.

But there's still no reason to have both those computers in the same case, as opposed to two cases. It's harder to cool and the cases are more expensive.

But these people spend $1,000s on jpegs that may never actually be playable, so it's more of a "look what I can do" thing.

Well, yes, his case still makes very little sense. I sure would like to know if it can hover in the air when all the fans run on full, though :D

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Real 'ninjitsu' is just dressing like a farmer and spying on dudes.

"Met another new CTO today, setup his new account with full access. Odd fellow, dresses like a farmer."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

maybe he means it's their first year with a roadmap?

That'd actually be funnier because it would mean he was supporting a game company that he thought refused to do the most basic part of making a game for six years.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

TheAgent posted:

somehow hema nerds are worse than trekkies

Mr. Spock, hand me my longsword. Scotty, beam me down, i have an appointment.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

maybe he means it's their first year with a roadmap?

That'd actually be funnier because it would mean he was supporting a game company that he thought refused to do the most basic part of making a game for six years.

It is, but the simple fact that he can even believe that after 6 years of failed delivery dates somehow they will get better next year with dates is hilarious.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

monkeytek posted:

It is, but the simple fact that he can even believe that after 6 years of failed delivery dates somehow they will get better next year with dates is hilarious.

Their date estimation pipelines are just coming online now, they're really going to be picking up the pace next year on dates.
I can confirm as I have already played through their whole date estimation feature.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I'd hate to think of the condition all the other sperm were in on the day where that guy was the fastest tbh.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

We actually do Kanban now but since we weren't being stupid about Agile its really not that different than how we did Agile.

I'm seriously curious, those of you hating on agile, what do you do instead? If the answer is just "nothing" then you're way stupider than agile could ever be. Same with waterfall or anything that isn't agile or kanban.

I'm sad so many people appear to have had bad experiences with agile methods.

It's true though if your leadership is poor it doesn't matter what "methods" you try to use.

Milestones and dates and communication is all critical and necessary. I think the best part of it though is that developers are able to feel more ownership and thus are more diligent about the effort they put in because their opinions are valuable and they can redirect the outcome of a project.

With waterfall I've basically been handed hundreds of pages of design documents and notes and had a strict timeline to have everything completed by based entirely off of the design and oh they've already sold 10 of them so there's nothing you can do about it.

The sales parts and promises still happen in agile though, so oh well. :shrug:

The projects can be more bitesize and you can think about the components and their interactions more, and less time diverting all kinds of resources to other stuff and hope their functions are using the right values so everything slides together like a Chris Roberts FPS from Illfonic special edition product.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

On the whole, I liked it. The general arguments were sound, particularly about stuff like the lack of oversight problem. Man is that something backers can’t hear enough of! And it had some really funny moments, too. TheYamiks is just so hilarious in his line deliveries that I cracked up at most everything he said.

Yes, a lot of people really didn't get the funny in that.

quote:

I look forward to the devastating Montoya response. “Montoya destroys Charlatan Wonder!”

Opening lines: “Last week a Youtuber by the name of CharlatanWonder put out a massive hater rant that even Derek Smart would approve of...”

Well someone has already summed it up:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad their monies are dead

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The amount of wishful thinking, baseless extrapolation, outright fabrication makes me believe this person suffers from severe dissociative events almost continuously in his life.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm glad their Jira is dead.

And their roadmap is dead.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm also glad it's that time of year where it's time to start reminding people that development is only like less than a year in and they've been working on the groundwork and haven't been able to start really developing until recently.

Unless you want a refund. Then the game is pretty much fully developed and you're a lovely person for trying to get your money back when it's like three different AAAA games combined together with the fidelity of a real life Matrix.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SoftNum posted:

Sure.

He put 40 fans in the case, you rest assured he's not super bright about building PCs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does he actually stream?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
What is the IFCS that they are talking about?

Edit: Also, software projects missing deadlines is something that happens at times, but if you're always missing deadlines then your estimation process needs a lot of work. As an aside, if you don't have some sort of quantification of risk then your process is wrong -- and none of the estimates theyve made lead me to believe that they're bothering to quantify risk.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I work at a place where other people develop software, therefor I am an authority on game development.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

After having some spicy Mexican food last night, this morning I woke up and developed some Star Citizen.

My toilet now understands game development. (Agile)

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

The Saddest Robot posted:

I work at a place where other people develop software, therefor I am an authority on game development.

but do you know Kazan? that Kazan?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Awesome! posted:

does he actually stream?

Yes. Enjoy.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Someone get me my large bucket of paint, it's time to forget how to read.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Natron posted:

This is an interesting point, because not only are the materials not transferrable, if you're making a wooden building and the straw hut is there, you're actually adding extra work. Planning in architecture (or anything else really) is incredibly important, for this exact reason. Making a change when nothing is built is cheap and easy, because it's just lines in a CAD program. If you build a wall in your new house, put a floor in top of it, and then run electrical through it, when you want to take it out, you've actually created even more work than just putting in a wall there in the first place.

Tier 0 implementations, especially in a case like this, are loving stupid because you have to do the work to make it, then do more work to undo that work, THEN do what you should have done if you had a good plan from the beginning.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that CIG's project management may be less than adequate.

Thanks for destroying my many immersive hours of ARK gameplay. BASTARD.!!!!

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

ryde posted:

What is the IFCS that they are talking about?

I'm pretty sure that would be their famously broken 64bit coordinate system that some dude who no longer works there hacked into the Crysis engine to somehow make it work for a space mmo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Christ, the guy that forgot a chair isn't working there either.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1023705108691873793

Game development going so smoothly that we will have a game of D&D.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh my god aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
where's toast lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trilobite posted:

...so Traveler was the best game, huh?

("Many people die before they ever even get a spaceship, but eventually a team of senior citizens with major disabilities can go out for adventures in space using some super-janky mechanics" is kind of a best-case scenario for how Star Citizen could work out, actually. Whoever holds the Traveler license should look into collecting a royalty if that ever happens.)

Marc Miller owns most of them, but there’s a licensing deal to mongoose for a couple of the versions.

My traveler character mustered out of the Navy at 60. It was a wild ride generating that.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Quavers posted:

E: gently caress, please can someone spot me a page taxxe TIA

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

*cackles uncontrollably*

Year one.

Nice.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Scrubbing the toilets of a software development company does not make you a developer.
"No, but see, I have friends who are developers, and I talk to people in the cafeteria when they take a lunch break, so I have LEARNED!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Necros posted:

I'm pretty sure that would be their famously broken 64bit coordinate system that some dude who no longer works there hacked into the Crysis engine to somehow make it work for a space mmo.

IFCS is their "Intelligent" Flight Control System. Which consumes ungodly amounts of resources to do all the required calculations that allow your ship to fly in no-clip mode.