Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

When was that? 2009 or 2010? Because any other year would have been Biden Ruled by McConnell.

McConnell didn't have a majority in the Senate until 2014 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HorrificExistence posted:

According to TSA internal documents published by the Boston Globe, air marshals observe passengers for a number of behaviours including:

Excessive fidgeting
Excessive sweating
Cold penetrating stare
Wide open, staring eyes
Face touching
How much they sleep during a flight
Using a smartphone

Checking for face touching is a good policy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He even officiated marriages for a whole bunch of gay people and had a gay sister that he was close with so the whole "guy is a homophobe" story seems to have been essentially slander from a shithead former business partner.

wrong, he really was all hosed up and weird about gay people in that way a lot of people were not that long ago.

his sister and others convinced him he needed to go to therapy and stuff about it and he basically learned to let his bigotry go. hes not a homophobe now but he used to be

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wait, someone fill me in on ginsburg. i thought she was meant to be good

She is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wait, someone fill me in on ginsburg. i thought she was meant to be good but i also remember that i dont remember something about her and that i may have asked this question before

She's very good, a lot of it is just contingent on her surviving for at least two and a half more years.

\/\/\/and has been dealing with colon cancer for years now\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 31, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wait, someone fill me in on ginsburg. i thought she was meant to be good but i also remember that i dont remember something about her and that i may have asked this question before

There was a window in which she could have stepped down and let Obama appoint someone younger in her place but now she’s 85 and has to hold on until Democrats retake the Senate

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

There was a window in which she could have stepped down and let Obama appoint someone younger in her place but now she’s 85 and has to hold on until Democrats retake the Senate

Retake the Senate and the Presidency, since the President appoints Supreme Court Justice candidates.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think the judiciary is my favourite thing about your ludicrous political system that you refuse to update

hmmm yes let's make the interpretation of our laws grounded in party politics this can only turn out well

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
eugenics is back baby! awooo!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/30/canada-uses-dna-and-ancestry-sites-to-check-migrants-identity

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

avshalemon posted:

now let's all complain about our names for ten pages

i like my name it has a strong family tradition. and it's very short so it's easy to fill in forms

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is so absurd i can't believe the danes didn't think of it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

V. Illych L. posted:

i think the judiciary is my favourite thing about your ludicrous political system that you refuse to update

hmmm yes let's make the interpretation of our laws grounded in party politics this can only turn out well

uhh the gently caress are you talking about

judges are inherently political even if you pretend they're nonpartisan.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

are you claiming that the high court of norway is substantially based on party politics fishmech

is this a path even you are willing to tread

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

commercial dna ancestry stuff is kinda sketch and super sketch if you're trying to tease out specifics

which is of course just the cherry on top of the weird racist policy sundae

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Retake the Senate and the Presidency, since the President appoints Supreme Court Justice candidates.

I emphasize the Senate because while yeah they need both it’s the Senate that’s more important because McConnell will come up with some reason not to vote on any actually liberal justice no matter the circumstances.

A Democrat could win in 2020 and RBG could step down but if Republicans still hold the Senate then McConnell would be like “we can’t hold a vote now because, uh, Mercury is in retrograde”

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol of course fishmech is going to dig up some google translated bit about how such-and-such, a high court judge, was a young conservative in 1973 and clearly this is equivalent to ruth bader ginsburg being a major rallying point for left-wing activists to vote for clinton as a judicial revision might otherwise ban abortion in swathes of the country

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

V. Illych L. posted:

America is awesome because it basically has had no political development since 1800

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

commercial dna ancestry stuff is kinda sketch and super sketch if you're trying to tease out specifics

which is of course just the cherry on top of the weird racist policy sundae

Its a program started under Harper (surprise) and continued by the Liberals (surprise) because rolling back all the bad Conservative policies would just cost too much darn it.

I wish we had a Corbyn-type person in politics here. :smith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

V. Illych L. posted:

are you claiming that the high court of norway is substantially based on party politics fishmech

is this a path even you are willing to tread

is norway's government based on party politics? if yes, your high court is too.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

King Werner Herzog.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it's windy and vanya's having a yell about it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

just relaxing on his red bed softly going ruh! ruh! ruh! at nothing in particular

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

little old man

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Majorian posted:

King Werner Herzog.

i just learned about five minutes ago that herzog was shot during the filming of an interview and insisted they keep going

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i just learned about five minutes ago that herzog was shot during the filming of an interview and insisted they keep going

He was shot with a pellet gun by some kids loving around yeah but he just said “it was not a significant bullet” and kept doing the interview

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also lol about one of his other movies, fictional but based on a real guy:

quote:

Golder heard about Yavorsky's case and began a relationship with him that would last several years, conducting a series of taped interviews which would be used to write a screenplay. In 1995, Herzog joined Golder in the last of these meetings.[8] Herzog described Yavorsky, then living in Riverside County, as "argumentative".[2] Yavorsky, living in a trailer, had erected a shrine to Herzog's film Aguirre, the Wrath of God. This concerned Herzog so much that they did not meet again.[8]

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMRwk8WDd4

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Furnaceface posted:

Its a program started under Harper (surprise) and continued by the Liberals (surprise) because rolling back all the bad Conservative policies would just cost too much darn it.

I wish we had a Corbyn-type person in politics here. :smith:

rip jack

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HorrificExistence posted:

According to TSA internal documents published by the Boston Globe, air marshals observe passengers for a number of behaviours including:

Excessive fidgeting
Excessive sweating
Cold penetrating stare
Wide open, staring eyes
Face touching
How much they sleep during a flight
Using a smartphone

gently caress, I’m literally the excessively sweating passenger with cold penetrating stare who sleeps in flight but otherwise uses smartphone and touches his face

phone also counts as fidgeting i think, and i only don’t have wide open eyes because I’m normally really tired

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

ah i see

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Oh absolutely - it's absolutely one of my favorite moments of his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrRNM9cMBDk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i like my name it has a strong family tradition. and it's very short so it's easy to fill in forms

is your name oof

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is your name oof

it's dirk

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

avshalemon posted:

just relaxing on his red bed softly going ruh! ruh! ruh! at nothing in particular

Oh my God this makes me so happy I can enmagine it so perfectly despite never having met Vanya save for through digital cosmic comedy forum communion

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Oh my God this makes me so happy I can enmagine it so perfectly despite never having met Vanya save for through digital cosmic comedy forum communion
you have a spiritual bond across hemispheres

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

tonight he was nesting on my dressing gown and i wanted to wear it but he wouldn't budge, just sat there like a solid little cannon ball regarding me wisely while voluntarily increasing his mass to the point where ten strong men couldn't lift him

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

actual animal

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
10/10, would scritch chin.

• Locked thread