Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Iirc Annihilation is on UK Netflix, although you may have already seen it.

I have, and I really liked it. I need to sit down and rewatch it on my swanky new 4k HDR TV sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tusk just popped up on Netflix again.

I know people say it's too gross/weird/whatevs.

I liked it. Cinematography is good. The monster costume is wicked. Fun.

Slow and boring, but that's what skipping ahead is good for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bardeh posted:

Arrival's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, yeah, but I've already seen it :(

Villeneuve needs to hurry up with Dune

His film Enemy is on Netflix.

I really like James Gunn movies in general but The Belko Experiment is just awful and it's entirely because all the characters are loving terrible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

I really like James Gunn movies in general but The Belko Experiment is just awful and it's entirely because all the characters are loving terrible.

Also, and more importantly, they kill Michael Rooker off way too early.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

I couldn't loving believe it. I came very close to turning the movie off right there just out of spite.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mysterious frankie posted:

I know! He was the one character I did like.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

The Belko Experiment is just awful

You're not wrong, but I still disagree. I will say that it's a worse version of Mayhem.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bardeh posted:

drat, no Under the Skin or Moon on UK Netflix. I have seen Moon before, but definitely fancy a rewatch. And I don't think I ever really got to grips with Season 2 of The Expanse, so I think I'll give that a try. Thanks thread!

And hell yeah at Alex Garland, love all of the movies he's been involved with.

Under the Skin is on Prime in the UK fyi

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Very cryptic trailer for Maniac, starring Emma Stone and a thin Jonah Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQZPp5ED1VI

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I love this and have no idea what's going on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The MSJ posted:

quote:

Maniac follows "Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim, two strangers drawn to the late stages of a mysterious pharmaceutical trial, each for their own reasons. Annie’s disaffected and aimless, fixated on broken relationships with her mother and her sister; Owen, the fifth son of wealthy New York industrialists, has struggled his whole life with a disputed diagnosis of schizophrenia. Neither of their lives have turned out quite right, and the promise of a new, radical kind of pharmaceutical treatment—a sequence of pills its inventor, Dr. James K. Mantleray, claims can repair anything about the mind, be it mental illness or heartbreak—draws them and ten other strangers to the facilities of Neberdine Pharmaceutical and Biotech for a three-day drug trial that will, they’re assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently."

Color me intrigued. I get a Legion season 1 vibe, minus all the actual X-Men content.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I recommended Aggretsuko to my 65-year-old parents and they're really into it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

a three-day drug trial that will, they’re assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently.

So the twist is gonna be that they're dead right

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I recommended Aggretsuko to my 65-year-old parents and they're really into it.

I GIS'd this and this was one of the first results

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Well yeah, episode 1. But by episode 4 I'd put Retsuko smack in the middle of switch and by the final episode Haida at the sub side.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Taintrunner posted:

It's not technically inaccurate

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The MSJ posted:

Jonah Hill is Frank Zito.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The MSJ posted:

I will watch anything that Cary Joji Fukunaga makes, and this is a great teaser. Excited.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I liked Extinction okay, but I've thought about the plot more than the writers did.

Good things:

I liked the reasoning for the Everyman Protagonist to be able to handle himself in a fight with the aliens. It wasn't a perfect reason, but it was better than nothing.

Normally in alien invasion movies, it doesn't make any sense at all for the invaders to be doing a boots-on-the-ground building-to-building sweep. Aliens getting staggered by melee blows, hesitating to kill, and generally making any mistakes aren't something I see in invasion movies, because they're not scary if they're not the perfect killing machines. That's why I caught onto them secretly being human early, but not everyone did I'm sure.

Bad things:

The sense of scale was messed up. Presumably it took more than Generic Big City's population of synths to send humanity fleeing to Mars, but it's all that's shown, and the resistance at the end is a mountainfull of scared synths. Some news reports from the rest of the world would've helped.

The synths didn't have a plan for humanity's inevitable return other than a factory full of people who didn't voluntarily get their brains wiped? And a militia that guns down a group of humans and then stands in an open field when there are actual space ships flying around strafing the ground?

It's got annoying kids, who I thought behaved realistically, but you can't have that in a movie because realistic-acting stressed kids annoy the hell out of people.

It's set up for a sequel that's never going to happen.

Also:
I'm not sure whether the main character and others knew they were synths, or it was a misdirection towards the audience, or what. He seemed surprised when they cut his wife open, but "You don't know what you are?" could be implying that the main character knew of course he was a synth, but he didn't know there was any alternative to being one because he forgot what humans were. All that blood and gore in the beginning and no one had any exposed circuitry or anything showing.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Good Time with Robert Pattinson is on Amazon Prime. Tells the story of one crazy night in New York as a hustler character desperately tries to find 10k.

Constant close-ups, anxiety-making music and a really great performance from Pattinson. I don't know that the emotional core was quite there for me at the end, but at its best moments it has that "wait, WHAT now?" quality of pulp fiction where things keep getting crazier and more specific.

The incidental casting is also great. One of the co-directors plays Pattinson's mentally disabled brother, and the therapist in the first scene is a great example of the weirdo look and vibe they achieve. He looks like David Cronenberg crossed with old Howard Stern.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Good Time with Robert Pattinson is on Amazon Prime. Tells the story of one crazy night in New York as a hustler character desperately tries to find 10k.

Constant close-ups, anxiety-making music and a really great performance from Pattinson. I don't know that the emotional core was quite there for me at the end, but at its best moments it has that "wait, WHAT now?" quality of pulp fiction where things keep getting crazier and more specific.

The incidental casting is also great. One of the co-directors plays Pattinson's mentally disabled brother, and the therapist in the first scene is a great example of the weirdo look and vibe they achieve. He looks like David Cronenberg crossed with old Howard Stern.

I wasn't a fan. Everything feels so chaotic that at some point it all ceases to matter. Good cinematography if that's your thing, but there's no plot and very little character.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been watching FBI Files on Amazon and it's fun to spot the anochronistic stuff in the reanactments. This episode takes place in 1989 and there was a box of CD-Rs in someone's house.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There's a couple of seasons of Guy's Grocery Games up on hulu. This is hands down my favorite cooking game show, even beating out my nostalgia for the og iron chef.

It's pure positivity from top to bottom. The prize money goes to charity, the leftover food in the grocery store goes to food banks, it's competetive but everyone is ultimately there to have fun and win money for charity, every round has a ridiculous condition for what ingredients can be used so the chefs are always scrambling and improvising, and Guy Fierri brings a lot of fun energy to the show as host.

It's also a childhood fantasy situation of having your own private grocery store and an adult fantasy situation of having every ingredient you could possibly want to cook with readily available within about 50 feet.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I wasn't a fan. Everything feels so chaotic that at some point it all ceases to matter. Good cinematography if that's your thing, but there's no plot and very little character.

You've made me think: another way to put it is that it's ALL plot, in that things are constantly and overwhelmingly happening, but the narrative isn't super strong.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been watching FBI Files on Amazon and it's fun to spot the anochronistic stuff in the reanactments. This episode takes place in 1989 and there was a box of CD-Rs in someone's house.

I like how they don't even try to hide the late 1990's cars in old murder reenactments on The New Detectives

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This is the most interested I've been in Netflix for awhile. There are some great A24 films up right now - Enemy, The Rover, Ex Machina, A Most Violent Year, Under the Skin, and Locke.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is the most interested I've been in Netflix for awhile. There are some great A24 films up right now - Enemy, The Rover, Ex Machina, A Most Violent Year, Under the Skin, and Locke.

The girlfriend of a director on A24 swings by my bar occasionally. She was in tonight & we both pretty much agreed that they're killing it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nearly everything A24 puts out is available via Netflix or Amazon in general it's been the biggest cost justifier for me. I see that logo and I'm like "well 98% I'm gonna at least sort of like this"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Barry on HBO Go, binge-watched it recently. Super good. It's like a dark comedy / drama about a great hitman becoming a terrible actor.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any issues with people using their Amazon Prime accounts to watch movies?

On Prime Day I got a notification that I signed up for HBO, except I didn't. I called and told them to cancel the charge. I checked my Watch History again today and someone's been using my Prime to watch Denzel Washington movies and Katt Williams comedy specials.

I don't see any new devices registered, I don't have roommates, I haven't given anyone my log-in info to use, I'm not seeing any fraudulent orders or purchases, and Amazon's customer service can't tell me what device is being used to watch this stuff.

I've already changed my password once after the HBO sign-up, and that didn't seem to help.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's me, sorry. I just love Denzel!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's me, sorry. I just love Denzel!

Mom?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Most likely answer is a Jekyll and Hyde situation

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Franchescanado posted:

Has anyone had any issues with people using their Amazon Prime accounts to watch movies?

On Prime Day I got a notification that I signed up for HBO, except I didn't. I called and told them to cancel the charge. I checked my Watch History again today and someone's been using my Prime to watch Denzel Washington movies and Katt Williams comedy specials.

I don't see any new devices registered, I don't have roommates, I haven't given anyone my log-in info to use, I'm not seeing any fraudulent orders or purchases, and Amazon's customer service can't tell me what device is being used to watch this stuff.

I've already changed my password once after the HBO sign-up, and that didn't seem to help.

Have you ever used any devices that you don't currently own to watch Prime? I had a similar experience once where I forgot to wipe everything from a 360 before I sold it and after a few weeks a bunch of kids movies started popping up in my watch list. I had to go to the website and deactivate the console remotely.

Not sure what could be happening in your case because I think in Prime's case they would need your password unless your old device had Prime installed and already logged into your account.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do not watch Tusk. It's not even worth it for "what the gently caress" value. It's just really, really, really bad.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

precision posted:

Do not watch Tusk Kevin Smith's recent films. It's not even worth it for "what the gently caress" value. It'sThey're just really, really, really bad.

FTFY, and will do.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tusk is a good movie. Fuckin fight me.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Tusk is not good. You can almost watch it for the sheer stupidity, until... French Johnny Depp shows up. His make up sucks, his accent sucks, his acting sucks. He kills every last second of watchability the movie almost had.

You go from saying,
"Wow this movie is stupid, but I kind of have to finish it at this point just to see how stupid it can get."
to...
"Hey what the gently caress? That's Johnny Depp. Wtf is JD doing in this dumb movie. He's making it worse HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? PLEASE END NOW! BE OVER ALREADY!"

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Tusk is loving terrible please do not watch it. Do something creative and useful for the time I wasted on that piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?
Why don't you ask him if he's going away?
Why don't you tell me what's going on?
Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?
Why don't you ask him what's going on?
Why don't you ask him who's the latest on his throne?
Don't say that you love me!
Just tell me that you want me!