Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

huh, i guess they do want to waste time and resources into two unwinnable races. it's our funeral

sorry, NYC DSA, no takebacksies

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

get that OUT of my face posted:

huh, i guess they do want to waste time and resources into two unwinnable races. it's our funeral

sorry, NYC DSA, no takebacksies

I don't think it necessarily would take away resources, since it's a volunteer-member organization and people only really do what they want to do anyway. My concern is more that I don't think many people are all that excited about it, and therefore it'll be a wet fart of a campaign, which could be a bit of a reputation hit. That said, I'm not even all that worried about that, since we'll have a bunch of victories nationally at the same time we'd have this loss, so we'll probably still come out ahead with more publicity and another membership surge.

Plus, I mean, we're a big, decentralized national organization. We need to be resilient through sloppy or weak endorsements or we don't stand much long-term chance. If it's not NYC, some other chapter is making an imperfect endorsement. I think St Louis just had one they actually had to rescind, if that tells you anything, and they're still standing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

I don't think it necessarily would take away resources, since it's a volunteer-member organization and people only really do what they want to do anyway. My concern is more that I don't think many people are all that excited about it, and therefore it'll be a wet fart of a campaign, which could be a bit of a reputation hit. That said, I'm not even all that worried about that, since we'll have a bunch of victories nationally at the same time we'd have this loss, so we'll probably still come out ahead with more publicity and another membership surge.

Plus, I mean, we're a big, decentralized national organization. We need to be resilient through sloppy or weak endorsements or we don't stand much long-term chance. If it's not NYC, some other chapter is making an imperfect endorsement. I think St Louis just had one they actually had to rescind, if that tells you anything, and they're still standing.
the entire reason why my friend/your Queens comrade abstained was because of the boost to Salazar, even though she didn't go full yes because of Nixon and Williams as candidates. but you didn't hear it from me :ssh:

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

the entire reason why my friend/your Queens comrade abstained was because of the boost to Salazar, even though she didn't go full yes because of Nixon and Williams as candidates. but you didn't hear it from me :ssh:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. That's not terrible reason, honestly, but I will say that I think a lot of people have a right to be annoyed give the way the delegate votes didn't adhere to the branch votes in some branches. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Have you been involved with the Salazar campaign? I think I saw there was a recent campaign mention of sex work decriminalization, possibly including a canvass, which is a pretty huge leftward shift of ~*the discourse*~ and really heartening to see.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

unbutthurtable posted:

I think a lot of people have a right to be annoyed give the way the delegate votes didn't adhere to the branch votes in some branches.
do you have a link to a breakdown of the votes? i am struggling to find it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

hot sorcery posted:

do you have a link to a breakdown of the votes? i am struggling to find it.

I haven't confirmed this anywhere but i saw it on the tweet machine

https://twitter.com/DSANorthStar/status/1022832730889805824

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
ftr i think endorsing was incredibly stupid, obviously

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

ftr i think endorsing was incredibly stupid, obviously

oh so endorsing would be much like your posting?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
jk ilu

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

I haven't confirmed this anywhere but i saw it on the tweet machine

https://twitter.com/DSANorthStar/status/1022832730889805824

oh i am meaning the clc reps! i am one of the people who is very not cool w/ the idea that none of my reps voted no. i want to confirm this first, though!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

unbutthurtable posted:

oh so endorsing would be much like your posting?

:frogsiren:

hot sorcery posted:

oh i am meaning the clc reps! i am one of the people who is very not cool w/ the idea that none of my reps voted no. i want to confirm this first, though!

oh yea i have no idea

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. That's not terrible reason, honestly, but I will say that I think a lot of people have a right to be annoyed give the way the delegate votes didn't adhere to the branch votes in some branches. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Have you been involved with the Salazar campaign? I think I saw there was a recent campaign mention of sex work decriminalization, possibly including a canvass, which is a pretty huge leftward shift of ~*the discourse*~ and really heartening to see.
i went to one of her fundraisers and i'll do at least one canvassing thing for her, but i'll probably be more involved with Zellnor Myrie because he's closer

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

hot sorcery posted:

I've been curious as well.

I also understand now why the two dudes from Lower Manhattan stopped by to sit in on the BUM meeting, because holy poo poo they musta felt drained.

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

i went to one of her fundraisers and i'll do at least one canvassing thing for her, but i'll probably be more involved with Zellnor Myrie because he's closer

are you going to the zellnor thing on wednesday at the comic book store?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.wgrz.com/article/money/business/8-weeks-paid-time-off-work-for-a-death-in-the-family/71-578781309

quote:

8 weeks paid time-off work for a death in the family?

It got very little attention, but in the final days of the State Assembly's 2018 session, it passed a bill adding bereavement to New York's Paid Family Leave Law.

Author: Steve Brown

Published: 6:01 PM EDT July 30, 2018
Updated: 6:22 PM EDT July 30, 2018

NORTH TONAWANDA — "That will destroy some small businesses.”

Bob Confer thinks a bill headed to Governor Cuomo's desk is a very bad idea.

“I see the greatest issue would be you’ve got government getting into the business of running people’s business for them," says Confer.

The president of Confer Plastic of North Tonawanda is talking about legislation which would add bereavement to the state's new Paid Family Leave Law.

The law went into effect this year. A small deduction from every paycheck (less than two cents for every ten dollars earned) funds paid leave for most New York workers. The pay is 50% of an employees average wage. It's capped currently at a maximum benefit just shy of $653 dollars.

Currently eligible are parents welcoming new children into their home (including foster children), workers caring for a sick relative, or those needing time before heading off for military deployment.

Time-off is being phased in. Eligible workers can opt for up to eight weeks paid leave this year. Next year, it grows to ten-weeks. It'll be a dozen weeks come 2021.

Confer's firm grants three-days off with pay when a family member passes away with option for using personal or vacation time, too.

He says small businesses may struggle if a highly-skilled employee is gone for weeks at a time.

2 On-Your-Side reached out to Governor's office asking whether Cuomo may sign the bill into law.

In an email spokesman Richard Azzopardi wrote, "It's one of more than 500 [bills] that passed both houses of the legislature in the final weeks of session. It remains under review by Counsel's Office."

So wait is he actually signing this or not

I'm guessing not

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wow an option to use vacation that I'm entitled to use for anything I feel like, for a specific thing!

so generous!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rubber Tucky posted:

are you going to the zellnor thing on wednesday at the comic book store?
i wasn't aware of such a thing but that sounds cool. i don't have anything planned after work so i'll see if i can make it
i would say yes, because we already have paid family leave and this adds on to the few progressive things cuomo has going for him without adding anything new

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Jul 31, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1024123608824782848

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if klein loses, it'll be because the bronx parts of his district vote against him. that's certainly possible- there's a lot of overlap with crowley's bronx district, which voted for AOC in droves, and the ridiculously gerrymandered part of the western bronx was more recently brought in and isn't as loyal to him. i still say he's safer than people think, and certainly more than alcantara, hamilton, or peralta

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
these new Cuomo/Nixon polls are so depressing. why is she not getting more traction? is it just the obvious advantages of incumbency, or are people actually buying the bullshit “experience” argument, or what?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Barry Convex posted:

these new Cuomo/Nixon polls are so depressing. why is she not getting more traction? is it just the obvious advantages of incumbency, or are people actually buying the bullshit “experience” argument, or what?

because she's not a good candidate

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

because no one in this racist state is willing to vote for the black woman smdh

wait, I mixed up my joke, I thought cuomo was behind in that whoops lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

so much for a good millionaire beating a bad millionaire

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

Cuomo's approval ratings have been pretty decent. Polls consistently show him with a positive spread, and he's the sitting governor, which has advantages all its own. Plus, the experience argument is an argument...Nixon's been active in advocacy, but she's never held public office before, and more people know her as an actress than as an activist. Plus, while Nixon has the support of a bunch of groups like the DSA, Indivisible, and the Working Families Party, most of the New York Democratic establishment, the national party, the big advocacy groups and the unions have lined up in front of Cuomo. Clinton endorsed him. So did Tom Perez and Joe Biden. CSEA endorsed him, which they never did before. So did SEIU and the New York AFL-CIO. NOW endorsed him, the HRC endorsed him. So, however you feel about Nixon, she's up against pretty high obstacles.

What I find more interesting in a lot of ways is the polling for the AG and Lieutenant Governor's races, where about half are "Undecided". In a lot of ways, those are the races to watch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Epicurius posted:

What I find more interesting in a lot of ways is the polling for the AG and Lieutenant Governor's races, where about half are "Undecided". In a lot of ways, those are the races to watch.

Assuming Cuomo wins in November, if the feds/AG/whatever subsequently manage to tie him to something and he has to step down, the LG takes over, right?

Edit: speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/1024332699320967169

:thunk:

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Aug 1, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Assuming Cuomo wins in November, if the feds/AG/whatever subsequently manage to tie him to something and he has to step down, the LG takes over, right?

If the Governor resigns or is otherwise removed, the LG becomes Governor. That's what happened not so long ago with Spitzer and Patterson.

And yes, that was an extremely awkward pivot there from questions about his donors to the PSC findings on Charter.

Epicurius has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Aug 1, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Epicurius posted:

If the Governor resigns or is otherwise removed, the LG becomes Governor. That's what happened not so long ago with Spitzer and Patterson.

And yes, that was an extremely awkward pivot there from questions about his donors to the PSC findings on Charter.

He's done it before in the past couple of weeks, too, in regards to a different question. This was before the PSC findings were published.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I would have loved to have this when I was canvassing for Medicare for All a couple of months ago

https://twitter.com/clewisreports/status/1024709049043091457

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Single Payer In One Country

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcphTuFGI40&t=18s

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1025106496915468288

gently caress this

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
also, no mention of the fact that the Queens branch voted No on an endorsement despite profiling susan kang extensively lol

the failing new yorker

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

also, no mention of the fact that the Queens branch voted No on an endorsement despite profiling susan kang extensively lol

the failing new yorker

god this is fuckin bad and SO BORING

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

I mean, it doesn't portray it as a slam dunk (which I'm an expert in by the way). I don't agree with the endorsement, but if it says it was after a long and heated (lol) debate, that's fair.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I guess but I dislike how it jumps from quoting her on her advocacy for an endorsement, then jumps to quoting a “more skeptical faction based in North Brooklyn,” when in reality her own loving borough voted no. Just seems to elide the reality, imo

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

I guess but I dislike how it jumps from quoting her on her advocacy for an endorsement, then jumps to quoting a “more skeptical faction based in North Brooklyn,” when in reality her own loving borough voted no. Just seems to elide the reality, imo

Honestly and annoyingly, I doubt the reporter gives a poo poo about the details. We can't expect them to get the specifics right. They really never will and we'll have to get used to it or we'll just always be mad

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

Well also the article is only loving barely about the headline! Like, what a weird lede for the content

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/katie_honan/status/1025180517757579266

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

unbutthurtable posted:

Honestly and annoyingly, I doubt the reporter gives a poo poo about the details. We can't expect them to get the specifics right. They really never will and we'll have to get used to it or we'll just always be mad

i am the proud OP of the Failing New York Times thread, my capacity to be mad at journalists will never flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

idgi unless the joke is that malba is the chuddiest part of ny-14