Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
The last time I wore a watch I could play Tetris on it during tee ball practice, and to this day I still find myself turning up my wrist to look for the time. v:shobon:v Brains are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DrHammond posted:

For me the Casio is a sort of ironic anti-fashion statement, which is itself a deliberate and acceptable fashion choice. It's 2018, watches stopped being functional time-keeping objects a while ago. If you're wearing one, it's a conscious effort made with fashion in mind. Yet the Casio has absolutely no value other than as a time-keeping instrument. It's a $10 hunk of plastic and glass with three functions and a supremely lovely back-light, with very little regard for form or ascetic. It has achieved such high market penetration as to be completely ubiquitous. It's the ultimate anachronism, three pared back features driven off a single quartz crystal in the age of smartphones. It channels pure irony, and is a perfect 80's throwback.

In other words, "Look at me, I'm different!" or alternatively "I'm an unoriginal geeky-rear end-hipster-millennial, please put me on ignore!"

i wear a watch because it is, in fact, a completely functional time-keeping instrument which saves me from constantly digging out my phone and getting spammed with notifications and poo poo just to keep to a schedule. that means i know how to manage my life.

also because it's required equipment to fly a plane. that means i'm a badass pilot.

and because it's one of like three acceptable pieces of male jewelry so if you get one that is attractive (not gaudy, not a casio) girls will compliment you on it. that means i've got class.

so in other words it's a deliberate statement of "look at me, i'm different and superior"

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Krakox posted:

Watches are useful, it's fun to get a few used ones and pick a different one to wear hth

I bought a waving chairman mao watch (the time keeping mechanism makes him wave!) For $3. I've never owned a mechanical watch before. It's losing time and there's repair guides online for some reason

Hello yes, more about this please?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Truly a technological marvel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlC5HyK45X4

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Suddenly nostalgic for my own watch-wearing days of youth, I tried looking up ring watches on AE and there's nothing cool :saddowns: or are they called something different? EDIT: finger watch also brings up some gaudy options.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 28, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

queserasera posted:

Suddenly nostalgic for my own watch-wearing days of youth, I tried looking up ring watches on AE and there's nothing cool :saddowns: or are they called something different?

maybe you're not looking hard enough! 2018 Hot Sale, New Arrival Creative Women Fashion Watch Lady Girl Steel Quartz Finger Ring with watch Retro Ow... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2612822509.html

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Hello yes, more about this please?

I got ya

Chairman Mao Zedong unique wrist watch shipping free
http://s.aliexpress.com/6nQjyUvU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Someone should get one and paint it to become Kim Jong Un.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a spanking Mao watch in China for about 3€. By the time I got to the airport the waving had stopped. About 12 hours later when I was on the bus home the strap broke while I wasn't even wearing it and by the time I was supposed to give it to my dad - he could appreciate a nice spanking Mao watch - it had stopped running and the knob didn't feel like it was connected to anything so I just kept it.

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

r u ready to WALK posted:

I found my old casio with a broken strap the other day, I should get a replacement for it and start using it again because it was a pretty great watch now that I think about it

Jesus, I remember the fun I used to have changing channels or turning the volume down on the TV when I was about 15, and the teacher was trying to play us a French video or something.
Do those still work on modern TVs?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ohyesitsme posted:

Jesus, I remember the fun I used to have changing channels or turning the volume down on the TV when I was about 15, and the teacher was trying to play us a French video or something.
Do those still work on modern TVs?

My mid-nineties VCR remote controller works with my 2010 TV (at least enough to change channels, adjust the volume, and power on/off) so why not.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, its not like I really want to defend the SKMEI. It was by no means a well thought purchase. Frankly I kind of regretted buying it about 5 minutes after I clicked submit. So if you want to mock me, its well justified. But I must admit I kind of like my SKMEI :shrug: First of all its metal, not plastic, second of all in terms of hipster cred (yeah, yeah laugh all you want) SKMEI is more powerful than casio because its so obscure you probably never heard of it.

And in terms of general watches discussion, I like watches. With SKMEI I own 3 now.

This one I bought drunk on a plane:

And this one I bought for sentimental reasons, its a part of limited serie, only 300 were produced.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A self heating butter knife.

I've no comments.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

It only takes 3 minutes to reach 75℃
I'd be done with the breakfast in 3 minutes.

quote:

you'll love using it in the kitchen, dining, room

quote:

Blade Material: Alloy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Have any beauty-minded goons in this thread heard much about gua sha? It involves using a contoured, polished piece of rose quartz to scrape (gently) upward over the face to improve circulation, reduce puffiness, lift the face, plump wrinkles, etc. I first read about it as part of a dumb article on easy at-home beauty treatments to do when you're bored, and the tool they linked to for sale was US$38. Sephora sells it for $28. Since it's a Chinese practice, I immediately hopped onto AliExpress and found one for $5 (there are tons of listings). I'm tempted.

China Traditional facial Gua Sha Tool health Care Natural Rose Quartz SPA Acupuncture Scraping Massage healing for make up

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Hirayuki posted:

Have any beauty-minded goons in this thread heard much about gua sha? It involves using a contoured, polished piece of rose quartz to scrape (gently) upward over the face to improve circulation, reduce puffiness, lift the face, plump wrinkles, etc. I first read about it as part of a dumb article on easy at-home beauty treatments to do when you're bored, and the tool they linked to for sale was US$38. Sephora sells it for $28. Since it's a Chinese practice, I immediately hopped onto AliExpress and found one for $5 (there are tons of listings). I'm tempted.

China Traditional facial Gua Sha Tool health Care Natural Rose Quartz SPA Acupuncture Scraping Massage healing for make up

Someone posted a similar thing recently, it was a jade roller that was meant to reduce puffiness or something? It seems to have some genuine benefits but no more than a normal face massage.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
You can probably do the same with a cut up piece of milk jug or a butter knife or a smooth rock you find on the ground or literally anything else that isn't openly abrasive.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Alternatively, DIY by craving your own out of some rose quartz that may or may not be pink chunks of plastic!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Bummey posted:

You can probably do the same with a cut up piece of milk jug or a butter knife or a smooth rock you find on the ground or literally anything else that isn't openly abrasive.

What about the butter knife linked a few posts up?

I hear jade eggs were used by ancient Chinese concubines to the emperor for vaginal health and wellness which makes them an excellent symbol of female empowerment because :gas:

:tinsley: they, according to some stuff that some marketing execs came up with, shoved the eggs in their vaginas to work on their kegels, not up the emperor's rear end

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 30, 2018

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Depends on the emperor :kimchi:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

In vietnam its common to use dog tags (or a spoon)...... I used to have a really nice marble one that didnt hurt, now all i have is an old soup spoon. They work really well on your back. I should probably get a replacement.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bored posted:

What about the butter knife linked a few posts up?

I hear jade eggs were used by ancient Chinese concubines to the emperor for vaginal health and wellness which makes them an excellent symbol of female empowerment because :gas:

:tinsley: they, according to some stuff that some marketing execs came up with, shoved the eggs in their vaginas to work on their kegels, not up the emperor's rear end

AliExpress allows me to enjoy the GOOP lifestyle on a shoestring budget by buying knock off jade eggs.

Sadly, I can’t find any vaginal steamers on the site. They have those clothes steamer things though, soooo....

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Presented without comment:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...2834496926.html

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

:10bux: :getin:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

AliExpress allows me to enjoy the GOOP lifestyle on a shoestring budget by buying knock off jade eggs.

Sadly, I can’t find any vaginal steamers on the site. They have those clothes steamer things though, soooo....

Kind of surprised they haven't just retitled the listings as vagina steamers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I dunno why they'd bother, it's not an expensive mineral.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Bored posted:

Kind of surprised they haven't just retitled the listings as vagina steamers.

Steam is steam right

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s Steam for girl gamers

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Steamer clams? Clam steamers?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Betazoid posted:

I just want a big wooden mug for my drunken Renaissance Festival stumbling around dressed like a princess.

Anyone bought one? My husband and I are alcoholic goony types.

500ML Natural Wood Beer Tea Cup Large Water Drink Coffee Milk Cup with Handle Home Drinkwares 11.2cm height
http://s.aliexpress.com/YbEBVfyu

Dangit, I got my "wood" cups today, and I wasn't surprised that they were actually plastic, just disappointed. I also bought these for the 500 ml capacity, but they only hold 400 ml. :(

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Steamer clams? Clam steamers?

Despite the fact they are obviously grilled?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Create your own with a wood turner bought from aliexpress.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

Steam is steam right

From Aliexpress, sure.

I'm not suggesting that a company that actually cared if they hurt someone do so. But many vendors on Aliexpress sell very unsafe things.

Edit: I bet sex robots have a vagina steamer setting.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Whoops, didn't mean to post this

Amphigory fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 31, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i've never slammed the "buy" button so fast

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I have this. He gets a lot of compliments, although sadly nobody has recognised him and told me to :frogout:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Bored posted:

From Aliexpress, sure.

I'm not suggesting that a company that actually cared if they hurt someone do so. But many vendors on Aliexpress sell very unsafe things.

Edit: I bet sex robots have a vagina steamer setting.

Please insert [1] bitcoin and assume the position.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

i've never slammed the "buy" button so fast

Just a heads up, that purse is from Naruto.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

waggles posted:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo secret anime merchandise should be a crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

waggles posted:

Yeah but no-one knows that. (Apart from Internet nerds such as yourself.)