Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The actor said more than once that he portrayed Reed as such, and the show occasionally teased it, but Reed was also established in one episode as being sexually interested in T'Pol. So gay-with-exceptions or just bisexual who prefers dudes, take your pick.

The actors for Reed, Garak, Bashir, Riker, and Seven have all claimed that they portrayed their character as gay or bisexual but the execs were very insistent about no homo.

There were other instances of him hitting on women and usually failing miserably. Like that episode where they meet their descendents and it turns out Reid doesn't have any because he dies alone. The crew try to comfort him by saying that women only make up about a third of the crew so it was bound to happen but this is bullshit because it's revealed that Archer had kids with an alien woman. It ends with Reid perving on a female crewman in the turbolift. I don't think he ever got to hit on a guy, unless you count those alien women on Risa who turn out to be men who rob him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

Like, even when Kirk doubts himself in TOS, he's Achilles in his tent, or Jesus in Gethsemane, not a regular Joe having regular human reactions.

In the original pilot, Jeffrey Hunter played Pike as a guy who had gotten cynical and self doubting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbFq9ZWnGQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Simon Pegg is saying that Tarantino's Star Trek film is 5-6 years away, although he just says that he thinks Quentin will be too wrapped up with his current film (which comes out in a year) to be able to get the ST movie out for awhile. I'm not sure whether to put any real stock in these comments.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/30/simon-pegg-says-tarantinos-star-trek-movie-is-probably-five-years-away

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Simon Pegg is saying that Tarantino's Star Trek film is 5-6 years away, although he just says that he thinks Quentin will be too wrapped up with his current film (which comes out in a year) to be able to get the ST movie out for awhile. I'm not sure whether to put any real stock in these comments.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/30/simon-pegg-says-tarantinos-star-trek-movie-is-probably-five-years-away

Honestly, as much as I want Tarantino Trek to happen, I seriously have a hard time imagining it actually come to fruition.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I kind of just want to know what Tarantino's plan is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well finally see all the aliens feet

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Epicurius posted:

In the original pilot, Jeffrey Hunter played Pike as a guy who had gotten cynical and self doubting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbFq9ZWnGQ

Yup, I was actually intending to mention this as a counterpoint, but then I forgot.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The thing with Derullio is none of the characters affected by him seemed to feel personally violated, and he didn't seem to be doing it on purpose.

That just makes them weird Stepford robots like the S1 TNG crew, though.

Phylodox posted:

There is, though. There very, very obviously is, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation. All the other stuff is pointless obfuscation and equivocation. They took a story about sexual violation and basically said, “Nah, it’s okay, guys, it’s Rob Lowe! He’s charming and affable and delightfully befuddled and that makes it okay!”

It’s a bullshit episode that shouldn’t have gotten made in this day and age.

:yeah:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Them Darned Axanar Boys conned someone into letting them hold a "con within a con?!" I guess this is where they're gonna shill that coffee and beg for more money on the merits of a 20 minute film made three loving years ago..

They also got a new 'Director of Fulfillment' whose job seems to be issuing a never ending set of what, patches for IndieGoGo suckers? And they haven't done anything since March..

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Them Darned Axanar Boys conned someone into letting them hold a "con within a con?!" I guess this is where they're gonna shill that coffee and beg for more money on the merits of a 20 minute film made three loving years ago..

They also got a new 'Director of Fulfillment' whose job seems to be issuing a never ending set of what, patches for IndieGoGo suckers? And they haven't done anything since March..

A con within a con within a con, eh?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Astroman posted:

A con within a con within a con, eh?

If only there was some sort of criminal charge possible!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Can't wait for Tarantino Trek so college freshmen can have a new favorite movie

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Pick posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wiggle your big... talon?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Has anyone bought one of these hoodies?

https://kevf.com/collections/movie/star-trek

Kinda want this one:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Kinda want this one:

Definitely one of the least punchable pieces of nerd attire I've seen in a while. Would occasionally wear.

edit: jeez, the others are all terrible

edit2: the one uniform with pockets and they are just printed on smdh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Binary Badger posted:

Kinda want this one:

drat, I need that DS9 version in my life. Also lol at the TMP hoodie good Lord it's loving hideous.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I wish my work uniform was those jumpsuits :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Say what you will about Enterprise, but those uniforms are still among the best. Pockets!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

drat, I need that DS9 version in my life. Also lol at the TMP hoodie good Lord it's loving hideous.

The DS9 one is hurt by the printed on combadge. I think that's what really saves the ENT one

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it didn't have the combadge, I would legitimately buy that TNG blue one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I kind of just want to know what Tarantino's plan is.

Quentin Tarantino: So, in my film, I play a captain who controls the world with his mind.
Andy: Right. That's interesting.
Quentin Tarantino: For instance, I'm walking along, and I see this beautiful girl, and I think I'd like to see her feet, and so all her shoes fall off.
Andy: All her shoes fall off?
Quentin Tarantino: Mmm. Yes. And she's scrabbling around to get them back on again, but even before she can get her socks on, I've seen everything. I've seen it all.
Andy: Ok... So, comedy, is it?
Quentin Tarantino: No. It's about what would happen if these things were possible.
Andy: What's the story though?
Quentin Tarantino: Well, I do other stuff, like I'm riding my bike in the park, and this policewoman says, "Oi! You can't ride your bike on the grass." And I go, "Oh no?", and her shoes fall off, and she goes "Aaaah!", and she's trying to cover up, but I've seen everything anyway, and I get on my bike and ride off... On the grass.
Andy: So, it's mainly about seeing ladies' feet?
Quentin Tarantino: Mainly. And I do other stuff. Like I go to the World Cup Final and it's Germany vs. England. And I wish I were playing and suddenly I am! And I score the winning goal. They carry me into the dressing room, and there's Rooney and Beckham and then Posh Spice walks in and --
Andy: Her shoes fall off?
Quentin Tarantino: Instantly.
Andy: Sure.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

The DS9 one is hurt by the printed on combadge. I think that's what really saves the ENT one

Yeah, I guess you would just have to get a combadge replica and pin it over that so you wouldn't look weird or anything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I guess you would just have to get a combadge replica and pin it over that so you wouldn't look weird or anything.

Luckily, I still have my replica com badge from when I visited the Star Trek exhibition in England back in ‘95! Got my little brother to sit in Kirk’s chair, too, because I’m an awesome brother.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

I think I see what you're doing here, but it would look much better without either! I guess you could pin on a badge if you were going to a con or something

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pick posted:

edit: lol gently caress

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 31, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Cat Hatter already did that joke, dude.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Phylodox posted:

Luckily, I still have my replica com badge from when I visited the Star Trek exhibition in England back in ‘95! Got my little brother to sit in Kirk’s chair, too, because I’m an awesome brother.

I saw that in Newcastle.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

I think I see what you're doing here, but it would look much better without either! I guess you could pin on a badge if you were going to a con or something

I mean tbf as a Trek fan I think seeing the uni design without a combadge looks really weird, despite it making the sweatshirt less normy for daily wear. But I see the point about the ENT ones, though they still have tank pips.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
edit: haha wrong thread

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DrNutt posted:

I mean tbf as a Trek fan I think seeing the uni design without a combadge looks really weird, despite it making the sweatshirt less normy for daily wear. But I see the point about the ENT ones, though they still have tank pips.

Yeah, visually, the absence of the combadge makes it feel like something's wrong. You only saw people without them on the shows if they were resigning, going off to do something shady, captured, or really really needing to place a poker bet.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I ... like the TMP one ...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Yes, I like ships. I have no idea how this actually works.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Geekboy posted:

I ... like the TMP one ...

Much like the actual uniform, the belt buckle/fanny pack drags it down a bit

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Agreed. I can’t say that I like the TMP uniforms but also I kind of do? It’s actually pretty close to my feelings on most of Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kirk’s uniform is good, it looks like it came from a whole different universe from the TOS stuff and not in a bad way. The beige/baby blue crap the rest of the crew is in looks bland-to-awful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes, I like ships. I have no idea how this actually works.
It would make a certain amount of sense if those huge-rear end rings were like a primitive single warp nacelle.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nessus posted:

It would make a certain amount of sense if those huge-rear end rings were like a primitive single warp nacelle.

Or they rotated and it caused artificial gravity?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always liked this hoodie thinkgeek used to do:

But they've since replaced it with ones with a printed commbadge and pips and it's nowhere near as wearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Epicurius posted:

Or they rotated and it caused artificial gravity?

That's what I imagine, but it's difficult to figure out how it would rotate. Maybe the pylon and the interior of the ring are gravitically coupled, and the gravitic plating has opposing charges that push the ring tangentially?