Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Blue Train posted:

best camera is the Microsoft Lumia 950XL sorry ifailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i thought tizen was just a badly hacked up android but wow it is so much worse

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

anthonypants posted:

bonus: the lead efl guy got super pissed off in the comments https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/243

this is the best part:
https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/256
https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/268

”i did not lie, i just happened to edit out the word bitch from the codebase right before coming here and claiming there’s no such word in my code! i swear!!!111!!”

the imminent huh fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 26, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:stare:

greententacle posted:

Aussie goon here. I'm on prepaid so I'm looking to buy a touchscreen smartphone outright, Android & not an iPhone because I've bought apps off the the play store so I'm invested. What's the minimum I need to spend to get a phone that's not painfully slow when using apps? Mostly I just use my phone as a phone, to make calls & send texts, so doesn't have to be super powerful or have a lot of fancy features, but I still want to be able to have access to apps, like to use google maps to navigate when I'm driving for example. Like I don't want to get messages saying, "sorry, you can't install that app on this phone" etc. I'd also like to put like a 128 Gig SD card in it and be able to move apps onto the SD card.

I was happy with my Galaxy Note 4, but my mother dropped it in the toilet & it stopped working & haven't been able to get it working again. So my mother decided to buy me a replacement phone, so ordered a Galaxy Note 8 off ebay. But it turns out it wasn't a genuine one, it's like a clone. (Ah, that's why she was able to get it so cheap!) But I thought, what the hell, close enough for me, I might as well use it, right?

Well it turns out that it's been kind of a monkey's paw wish / curse. It's like the movie The Fly, at first the dude feels great, but then gradually over time he turns into a hideous monster. Like for example, it started having these spam pop-ups come up all the time, really annoying when I'm trying to do something. Like I was using google maps while driving, and a pop-up comes up & replaces maps, so the voice was no longer instructing me. I had to pull over & stop to close it & go back to maps, but it didn't just go back to where it left off, I had to put the address in all over again & start again.

I installed some malware cleaners and it stopped the pop-ups for a while, but they've started happening again. Like, it couldn't delete some files because the infected file was system essential or something. I've started seeing new apps appear, that I didn't install, they installed themselves! (like poker, etc). Funny because I get a message saying I'm running out of space. YEAH, MAYBE BECAUSE OF ALL THE CRAP YOU KEEP INSTALLING! I wouldn't be surprised if it's been stealing all my personal information & sending it God-knows-where. So, whatever phone I end up getting, I want to make sure it's a 'genuine' one. If goons could recommend some good malware cleaners that could stop the pop-ups in the meantime that'd be good too. I guess I could just get a real Galaxy Note 8, but that's like $1500 or something & I have a hard time justifying to myself spending that much $$$.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:stare:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also:

quote:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Play store apps $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Looks good to me, have you tried earning more money ?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

android.txt

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mom: hey son, I'm about to take a poo poo. mind if I borrow your phone?
son: sure, why not?
*sploosh*

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, life sounds really loving hard in the outback. you wait three months for the next road train to bring you your sarnsung note, only to find out it’s a knockoff that installs its own malware (none of which come with a clock, to add insult to injury :mad:).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lmao at this dude’s malware special from ebay

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
no it sounds genuine that's just a regular samsung

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notch and chin, the worst of all worlds. good work google!

Incessant Excess posted:

Someone on XDA got their hands on a Pixel 3 XL:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

no it sounds genuine that's just a regular samsung
yeah i can't figure out how they could tell it was a "clone" and not a genuine samsung product

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

notch and chin, the worst of all worlds. good work google!

why didn't they just put the sensors in the chin

instead of just blindly copying apple, I mean

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There was a phone a few years ago that did that and I think people complained about it making it harder to take selfies, like their thumb blocked it or something when they went to hit the shutter button

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the dreaded nostril cam.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/31/17634058/android-p-notch-limits-google

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why in the love of gently caress would you need more than one

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

the last turd you threw at the wall didn’t stick, so why not change something for the sake of change? it beats understanding

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

twice the innovation

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

twice the courage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apple broke the cell phone industry so much that "notch" is now a checkbox "feature"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

apple broke the cell phone industry so much that "notch" is now a checkbox "feature"

microsoft broke the Minecraft industry so much that "notch" is now a "nazi"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

eh, every device maker has been going in that direction. more pixels bigger screen big big big

on the other hand it's pretty funny that google put a line in the sand so early on this issue. they only marginally care about everything else manufacturers do: ignoring security updates, loading devices with spyware, making dozens of fragmented devices all under the same trademark name, et cetera. but if you do something that might cause the core OS team extra work (i.e. they might have to design UI widgets to work seamlessly with arbitrary notches) and they immediately cry foul

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

eh, every device maker has been going in that direction. more pixels bigger screen big big big

on the other hand it's pretty funny that google put a line in the sand so early on this issue. they only marginally care about everything else manufacturers do: ignoring security updates, loading devices with spyware, making dozens of fragmented devices all under the same trademark name, et cetera. but if you do something that might cause the core OS team extra work (i.e. they might have to design UI widgets to work seamlessly with arbitrary notches) and they immediately cry foul

they're probably having enough problems figuring out how to jam the 73 notification icons every android user has up into a notch, they don't want to also have to figure out how to scatter 73 notification icons around two notches while also scrambling the random navigation buttons into the bottom around like six notches

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
seriously, what is with android phones collecting notifications like loving pokemon?

i don't think i've ever seen one that isn't completely overwhelmed with useless little icons along the top bar

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

seriously, what is with android phones collecting notifications like loving pokemon?

i don't think i've ever seen one that isn't completely overwhelmed with useless little icons along the top bar

it's for when the cute girl at the bus stop sees your phone and thinks you're an elite hacker in the animeverse

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it's because people are bad at computers

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
It depends. The stuff on the right are system notifications like Bluetooth connectivity nfc state wireless and cellular signal alarm status and is all stuff that the user would have to open the systemui tuner to edit. Those are just android being bad. The stuff on the left is people being bad at computers.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm late to the smart tv chat but there's one here in the office and we decided to connect it to the guest wifi just for laughs

about a week later, on two separate occasions, it switched from an hdmi input to... playing some stream of american idol and whatever the european clone of that show was. nobody had even touched it. the remote was sitting on a desk ten feet away from anyone.

i knew smart tvs were absolute trash but it was something else seeing it in person

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

i'm late to the smart tv chat but there's one here in the office and we decided to connect it to the guest wifi just for laughs

about a week later, on two separate occasions, it switched from an hdmi input to... playing some stream of american idol and whatever the european clone of that show was. nobody had even touched it. the remote was sitting on a desk ten feet away from anyone.

i knew smart tvs were absolute trash but it was something else seeing it in person

there's an autotune joke in here somewhere but gently caress me if i can find it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mod saas posted:

there's an autotune joke in here somewhere but gently caress me if i can find it

would you say it's a little out of your range?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i love the notification area because its perfect for seeing exactly what you want at a glance and taking care of it. this assumes that you are the kind of person who makes sure you only get notifications you want and doesnt just accept the default for every app which ofc no one is

just like i cant imagine the kind of person who gets hundreds of junk emails every day because they gave it to everyone indiscriminately for decades and now its completely unmanageable i cant imagine how someone lives with apps yelling at them constantly about nothing but everyone in the world does somehow and building a system without that as a forefront concern is a mistake

i have no idea what the correct solution is (doesnt ios just bury the notifications somewhere and train the user to never go there?) but i can say that no one has come up with it afaict

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

i love the notification area because its perfect for seeing exactly what you want at a glance and taking care of it

imo the only difference i really see now between android and ios notification systems is rhat ios is a bit more strict about pushing noti prefs into the os preferences system, so you can review and/or disable them. other than that it's full "manage it urself lol" thunderdome crap

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
every time i see an android they have something called CMUC Browser. is that like Conduit toolbar for android?

e: corrected(?) the name

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

every time i see an android they have something called CMUC Browser. is that like Conduit toolbar for android?

e: corrected(?) the name

i had to google it b/c id never heard of it and apparently its a chinese browser owned by the alibaba group. their website looks scammy af but i could def. see it being preinstalled on chinese surveillance devices like xiaomis and huaweis. are you in the us or someplace where chinese branded devices have made more inroads?

i cant imagine americans coming across this on their own i mean just look at the play store page its filled with broken english bad reviews and poo poo no one would care about like cricket scores in the browser:

quote:

Main Features
★ Upgraded Web Browsing Experience
★ Small Window Mode
★ Fast Download
★ Cricket Card Feature
★ Data Saving
★ Ad Block
★ Video for all tastes
★ Facebook Mode
★ Night Mode

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

facebook mode.......

:thunk:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i only touched anroid to help people not good with computers so i don’t think they installed it. it always comes with other crap like app killers and other phone “cleaner” apps. also many many notifications, widgets, and floating windows (why the gently caress does anroid have floating windows)

it’s probably huwawei but i can’t tell an anroid from another (theyre all poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sounds like the kind of thing the aussie that mike quoted upthread had tbh

i have no doubt that some people have that kind of poo poo on their phones but ive never seen it irl. id only expect it to be present when buying something suspicious from untrustworthy sources and most people just buy garbage from their carrier which is bad but nothing like that