Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Probably a long shot but anyone got any advice on a hotel to stay at in Kaifeng? I'm gonna be going back and forth between Kaifeng and Zhengzhou a lot over the next couple months and gotta find some place to stay, haven't actually had to stay in a hotel at all here but only some will let foreigners get a room right? I don't care about being by any of the tourist stuff, just trying to find a decent place to be in over probably a few weeks total that wont bankrupt me and I don't wanna just walk around trying to find something after I already get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

All good except "bureaucratic efficiency"

E: well actually, I am not sure. If you want to bulldoze a village to run a road through, or genocide a troublesome corner of the country, that can be much more easily achieved than elsewhere. But if it means for the everyday person, then "sorry, cannot".

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 28, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There’s an all seasons hotel in kaifeng.

And the op is old but still fine

我在全季开封金明广场酒店,开封市金明大道169号(开封市政协对面,近开元广场,小宋城,连霍高速进出口,临近宋城路高铁站,开封北站):0371-23833666华住无线:http://app.huazhu.com

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd change intelligent to rapid breeders.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sincx posted:

Try to find a hotel franchised under one of the big international brands. Something under Accor, Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, etc. A quick search shows Accor has a Pullman hotel in Kaifeng for less than USD $100/night if that's in your budget.

caberham posted:

There’s an all seasons hotel in kaifeng.

Awesome, thanks. What's the difference here with non-international brand hotels? I've slept in some grimy Korean love motels before, but I've seen some nasty stuff here I never saw in Korea so I'm imagining they can be pretty rough.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Don't forget that it is literally illegal for some local hotels to have you stay.

Try ctrip.com, check the search filter box that says Foreigner Hotels or whatever

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

simplefish posted:

Don't forget that it is literally illegal for some local hotels to have you stay.

Try ctrip.com, check the search filter box that says Foreigner Hotels or whatever

Security keeps getting ratcheted up. Its standard in hotels now for locals to check in with their ID using a PSB provided dedicated machine that takes their photo at the same time.

You can still find places that'll ignore you if a mate with local ID does the whole check-in, and you stay there. This may not technically be legal.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ctrip (and trip.com) are PRC sites, I believe state-owned companies at least in part. If it says it's a Foreigner Hotel, you can trust it.

If you use trip.com expect the PRC to have all your particulars.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Trammel posted:

Security keeps getting ratcheted up. Its standard in hotels now for locals to check in with their ID using a PSB provided dedicated machine that takes their photo at the same time.

You can still find places that'll ignore you if a mate with local ID does the whole check-in, and you stay there. This may not technically be legal.

It's not legal at all lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

Ctrip (and trip.com) are PRC sites, I believe state-owned companies at least in part. If it says it's a Foreigner Hotel, you can trust it.

If you use trip.com expect the PRC to have all your particulars.

Haha drat I literally just booked some tickets with them

I feel like they only just popped up recently; hadn’t seen them around before. Quite possibly literally gather data for Chinese intelligence eh

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

It's not legal at all lol

Yeah, you're supposed to check in with the police everywhere you stay overnight in China and register with them. Hotels usually do that for you, hence the registration, but that is definitely something that could get you a in good deal of trouble if the PSB wanted to make an example of you.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'd read a Let's Play of Space PRC if you get a thread going in Games

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

Xiao Gua Gua of house Bo raised his banner with the help of his parents, as he was too weak to do anything himself. The great banner depicted a steaming hot pot encircling a cyanide pill. The matronly Lady Kai Lai stood behind him, planning dastardly. Behind them stood house Diaoyu, their banner proudly displayed the Middle Kingdom's greatest island and its abundant bounty of rocks and small bugs. The island was painted crimson, and the indigo waters were full of mercury-laden fish and deformed crabs painted a pale orange. In the retinue of these great houses were three prestigious guilds: The street shitters, the day nappers, and the gawkers.

Kai Lai raised her looking glass and saw a car approaching. "Our scouts are returning," she said. The car came into honking distance, honking loudly as it drove through the zebra crossing without yielding. The driver jumped out and spat onto the street without looking where he was aiming, "M'lady, there are three Japanese walking through Jiefangbei, they are being comically polite in a way I have never before seen: They are raising and re-angling their umbrellas so that they do not hit passers-by in the head as they walk by."

Kai Lai shrieked. "Such condescension, do you know what happened in Nanjing? They are rubbing it in our faces." Behind her, one of the street shitters shat onto the street. "Gua Gua, mount your black Audi. Show these Gui Zi what happens when you hurt the feelings of the Chinese people."

Gua Gua, with the help of his Father, got into his black Audi, and with the help of his mother fastened his seat belt. His Mom started the car for him and made sure the horn was working; it was raining after all. His steed ready, Gua Gua blasted through the zebra crossing, grazing several pedestrians, which the gawkers took a good look at, their hands clasped behind the backs.

In the distance, among the Chinese chaotically bumping into each other and ramming umbrellas into each others' heads, Gua Gua spotted three figures. Rather than walking how they wanted and hitting whoever so happened to walk into their path, these figures were predicting the course of incoming obstacles and moving out of the way in order to avoid collisions. Gua Gua seethed at the insult to his country's rich and ancient culture.

In order to approach more stealthily, Gua Gua cut his horn beeps down to one beep per second. He wanted these Gui Zi to be caught off guard. He saw the Japanese approach a zebra crossing, so Gua Gua built up speed, preparing to clash. The targets were less than a meter from the crossing; Gua Gua swerved right, predicting their path. His timing was perfect, he would be at the crossing just as the Japanese stepped onto the street, they would all be crushed and their corrupt blood would spill across the city, as it should have in Nanjing.

But then it went all wrong: Just as the Japanese were supposed to cross, they instead looked both ways, and seeing Gua Gua's Audi, they didn't cross. Gua Gua swerved right in an attempt to clip them into the shops opposite the sidewalk, but he was going too fast and turned too late. He rammed directly into the guard rail.

Gua Gua felt himself pulled from the car. The gawkers formed a circle around him, they stared and did nothing as he bled out. Someone was helping him though, it must be his mother or father, he realized. But then he heard their voices, speaking Mandarin with too many syllables. It was the Japanese, they were going to rape him as they had done to his relatives in Nanjing, or perhaps they would hold him hostage and demand lands which had always belonged to China in exchange for Gua Gua's return.

"Herro? Man is hur-u-tu, car-u cras-shu, we need ambu-ran-su, xie xie."

The Japanese were helping him? It was a propaganda stunt, they would lord this over China for the next hundred years. "Three retards save Prince of prominent Chinese house," the headlines would read in their newspaper, in bold squiggles and stolen Chinese characters.

日本SQUIGGLE SQUIGGLE STUPID loving CIRCLE王DOT DOT CRAZY JAGGED LINE救STOLEN ENGLISH WORD STOLEN GERMAN WORD -- 英雄

He had to stop this from happening. His mother had given him one of the cyanide pills in case he ever needed to kill a close friend of his, but now he needed to end his own life. The cyanide pill was part of his house's banner, and Gua Gua knew this would bring honor to his house. He bit down on the pill, but usually his mom cut pills up for him so he could swallow them easily with water, and he had no water here. The pill was really hard, so he couldn't bite on it very well. It fell out of his mouth and rolled into a gutter.

The Japanese had stopped the bleeding, and an ambulance was close now, it was only blocked by a dozen or so cars stopped in the middle of the road. It would be here any minute, and with it would come shame and dishonor. Gua gua's body was almost fatally injured, but worse, his feelings were hurt.

Apologies for posting from so far behind, but I just had to say that this is the best post I've read in the thread so far.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Thanks for reposting it, I'd been wanting to read it again.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I was in hysterics reading that and my wife had to check on me.

It was perfect.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
Going to Hong Kong tomorrow for 5 days. Last time I was in Hong Kong was four years ago. Only plan is to drink and walk around a lot. It looks like it will be too hot/miserable to do any hiking. Couple of questions: what is the preferred sim for data? Any new craft beer bars worth checking out? Thanks.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Oh.

Xeno fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 29, 2018

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Coming into Chengdu for a few days next month. Never been to the city before, don’t know what’s there besides the pandas, and I’m kind of “eh, whatever” about the pandas. Anyone recommend any must-see, must-do Chengdu stuff?

Looking at a hotel near Wenshu temple. Looks like a place I would enjoy.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Coming into Chengdu for a few days next month. Never been to the city before, don’t know what’s there besides the pandas, and I’m kind of “eh, whatever” about the pandas. Anyone recommend any must-see, must-do Chengdu stuff?

Fork over $200 USD as a donation, and hug a panda. It'll be illegal/impossible in a few years.

Also, Chengdu has HotPot.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Chengdu is chill + good. Eat a lot of food. Wenshu is pretty central so it's easy to get around, but most stuff is in the south.

I've put chinese names of stuff as well so you can find it easily.

Things to avoid:

Wide and narrow alley (宽窄巷子) - overcrowded tourist trap. You can see some "old" buildings and push through probably the most crowded place in Chengdu.

Jinli (锦里古街) - same as above, right next to Wuhou Temple. Just a crappy place with too many people and overpriced tourist crap.

Things to see:

Panda Base (熊猫基地)- is legit good and probably the only zoo-ish area in China that's not the worst to animals. Also it has red pandas which are way better than pandas, and now you can just take the subway there so it's super easy to go to. You might even get lucky and be on the mythical panda train~

Wenshu Monestary (文殊院)- which you're staying near is actually an active normal temple and not (entirely) a huge tourist trap. If you go in there will likely be workshops, lectures and people just playing music. There's a huge buddhist library there as well, and in true religious fashion, a ton of english language materials on buddhism and priests who will talk your ear off about it without just asking you to buy incense. I've always liked it cuz it wasn't a 100% shill temple like it seems 99% are in east Asia.

Wuhou Temple (武侯祠)- is also kinda cool if you're a 3 kingdoms dork. It was originally a temple to Liu Bei but they added a ton more stuff there. Costs money to enter but the upside is it's usually pretty pleasant to walk around

Shui jing Baijiu Distillery Museum (水井坊博物馆)- This place is near Chengdu's sad version of LKF so it's very central, and it's actually pretty cool! They show you how to make Baijiu, and then have you taste actually not terrible super expensive baijiu before telling you you can't buy any. They do a (more expensive) English tour which is actually very good. It's a weird thing and I know people dunk on baijiu but I've brought a ton of people here and everyone's generally liked it. Another plus is late august through october is when they actually make the baijiu there so it'll be a little extra stinky.

Global Center (成都环球中心)- Joke suggestion. But if you're nearby (you won't be) it's an extremely large building with a big mall and a whole water park and several hotels inside.
To be honest it's more impressive to see from a distance cuz it is honestly a loving huge building that looks like the most cyberpunk poo poo you'll see.

Beyond these you can just check out the town and wander around. The best areas to do that are probably Yulin (玉林) and Tongzilin (桐梓林)。The area around Sichuan university is OK but currently mired in construction hell so I'd stay away. You can also take a quick walk around the Wuhou Temple area which is also the Tibetan Quarter of Chengdu and kinda interesting I guess.

Yulin is the older area in town and has a ton of small shops and restaurants which are good, which brings me to...

Things to Eat:

Long Sen Yuan (龙森园)- Not being hyperbolic when I say this is a contender for best hot pot in the world, and it's not even that pricy. I hate hot pot and I like this place.

Red Apricot (红杏酒店)- This is a local chain with a few locations (just google whichever one is close to you) which is extremely Sichuan and very good. Try the kung pao pork (宫爆肉丁),fried mini-baozi (拇指包子),deep-fried, meat filled eggplant cakes with garlic sauce (鱼香茄子饼),and basically everything else this place owns.

People's Cafeteria (人民食堂)- This is another local chain and kind of the lower-class version of the above. It's still very good, and there are locations everywhere. Get the fried potatoes they are amazing (小炒土豆), I'm also a big fan of their Mapo Tofu

Green Dragon Restaurant (青龙正街饭馆)- This is another chain but I've included a link to the specific one you should go to cuz I've heard every one but this one sucks, and I can attest this one is very good. It's just another sichuan place but standouts here were the sausages and other cured meats.

Jiu Guo Yi Tang (九锅一堂)- This place is good and best known for "Suancai Yu" (酸菜鱼) which is a fish in a sort of sour-y soup/oil thing. A few locations around, should all be generally good. They also had very good dry pot shan yao (干锅山药) iirc

A Re Tibetan Restaurant (阿热藏餐)- This is good Tibetan food and it's something you can't get much further away from Tibet than here. They have two locations, both are good. I personally like the one with less reviews there (锦外店) but it's kinda impossible to find as it's in a big apartment complex surrounded by heavy construction and the other one is way more central and literally across the street from the Wuhou Temple I recommended above. Try the yak yogurt, yak butter tea, yak dumplings, yak sausage, and other various yak-based foods.

Guo Kui (锅盔) - Guo Kui is a street food unique to Sichuan/Chengdu and it owns. It is sold on the street everywhere. Get it FRESH, not when it's been sitting for a while in those heater plates at the rando noodle shops that have them. You can find a lot but this place next to my old office is good and usually has some fresh, just point to the giant oven/fryer thing instead of the ones they have sitting out. Pork and beef are both good.

Baozi (包子)- Chengdu has some good baozi flavors if you're not from around Sichuan. Jiangrou (酱肉包)and Mala Beef (麻辣牛肉包)are the two that I miss when I'm not in there

Dandan Mian (担担面)- Served everywhere and it's good. Generally made well in Chengdu where it's noodles in some light flavored oil and not drenched in a soup/sauce.

Non-Sichuanese Food which is Good but you might want to skip cuz I don't know where you're coming in from but I'll recommend anyway

Kaminarimon Ramen (雷门拉面)- A local chain started by a Japanese acquaintance of mine. It's good ramen and great service. They have some special mala ramen which is OK, I usually stick to their normal pork ramen.

This dumpling place with a long stupid name (京城特号饺子餐厅) - Another local chain, legit dongbei food. Dumplings are good, guobaorou (锅包肉)is good, best disanxian (地三鲜)I had in Sichuan.

I'll edit this if I think of more things to eat I think are worth visiting.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 1, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I saw an advert on a bus the other day, it just said "Sichuan - more than pandas"

Then had pictures of nothing but pandas all over it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Seconding the Global Center suggestion. We had like 45 minutes to explore the whole thing and it was the craziest experience. It's positively massive and surreal inside. Be sure you look up for the ladders to the sky hidden way up in the scaffolding.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
for our 2017 china/chengdu goonmeet a group of us went to the panda sanctuary and all really loved it, I'm not a huge panda guy but I'd highly recommend it, even if you don't like pandas. it was dope AF

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yeah panda sanctuary is really chill

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Go see the pandas.

I miss Red Apricot. I was just thinking about when we went there with That Which Shall Not Be Named and those teensy dumplings stole my heart :allears:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

A Re Tibetan Restaurant (阿热藏餐)- This is good Tibetan food and it's something you can't get much further away from Tibet than here. They have two locations, both are good. I personally like the one with less reviews there (锦外店) but it's kinda impossible to find as it's in a big apartment complex surrounded by heavy construction and the other one is way more central and literally across the street from the Wuhou Temple I recommended above. Try the yak yogurt, yak butter tea, yak dumplings, yak sausage, and other various yak-based foods.

I am like 99% sure this is the one that caberham/simple fish/fart simpson/rental sting and I all went to, I think you might have taken us man, or maybe not, I don't remember, apologies if you did and I forgot, but this place is absolutely amazing and I can't recommend it highly enough

also, when I recommended the panda stuff, I'm someone who lived in china for like 8 and a half years and tends to think a lot of attractions in china suck rear end, and I wouldn't recommend like 95% of them, but I'd highly recommend the panda sanctuary. it really was that good. it wasn't too hot, was well shaded, it wasn't too crowded, the pandas seemed well taken care of, it was informative like an actual museum by my dumb high standards, and there were a fair amount of animals available for pictures and just for animal watching.

I got a new computer last summer so I lost all my pics on my external which I don't have with me, but really, if you have half a day (I think we were there like 9-10am til like 1:30pm, then we went to a garden restaurant nearby and had beers and tea and other awesome food that caberham knew??), I'd highly recommend going.

pretty much this thread is full of dudes like magna kaser and caberham that have been in chengdu a lot so listen to them when they tell you cool and good places to go, because they know their poo poo. of course you don't have to listen to them if you don't want, but they sure as poo poo didn't lead me wrong when I was in chengdu. I think all the goons have left now though, now that grand fromage is out? I dunno, was a great time, think back on it fondly, y'all own

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

I am like 99% sure this is the one that caberham/simple fish/fart simpson/rental sting and I all went to, I think you might have taken us man, or maybe not, I don't remember, apologies if you did and I forgot, but this place is absolutely amazing and I can't recommend it highly enough

I unfortunately wasn't there for that one but glad you liked it!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm still there Aug 18-26 and there is one other goon remaining after I go.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

simplefish posted:

I saw an advert on a bus the other day, it just said "Sichuan - more than pandas"

Then had pictures of nothing but pandas all over it

So this is one of the first things I read this morning, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have a really good day now.

Thanks for all the advice, goons. Looks like I’ve got plenty to choose from. Especially excited about those restaurant write-ups.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

Global Center (成都环球中心)- Joke suggestion. But if you're nearby (you won't be) it's an extremely large building with a big mall and a whole water park and several hotels inside.
To be honest it's more impressive to see from a distance cuz it is honestly a loving huge building that looks like the most cyberpunk poo poo you'll see.

Haha I'm staying at the hotel in there (intercontinental) next weekend! I didnt even realize it was the largest building in the world or whatever when I booked it. Looks insane.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just fyi it's in the middle of nowhere, you can't just walk outside to a restaurant or convenience store or... anything, really.

It's also not actually the largest building, they invented a fake way of measurement to claim that. Is still very large.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Just fyi it's in the middle of nowhere, you can't just walk outside to a restaurant or convenience store or... anything, really.

It's also not actually the largest building, they invented a fake way of measurement to claim that. Is still very large.

There are actually a lot of convenience stores nearby but their those weird office park ones that like close on weekends lolll

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

There are actually a lot of convenience stores nearby but their those weird office park ones that like close on weekends lolll

Oh I only went once years ago and it was just like an empty field kilometers from anything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh I only went once years ago and it was just like an empty field kilometers from anything.

chengdu.txt

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

Haha welp. At least it looked like there was a metro stop right there? (or relatively right there, given we might be on the other side of the monster rear end building).

The plan was just to eat hot pot, see pandas, and let the kids gently caress around in that water park there. Hopefully the wave pool is less than fifty percent piss.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah the subway is close. Chengdu taxis are also cheap and they've never tried to rip me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that whole area is huge now. The global center is still in a pretty dead area comparatively, but south of it is now like a second city center so you can find something nearby for sure.