Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

That's what I imagine, but it's difficult to figure out how it would rotate. Maybe the pylon and the interior of the ring are gravitically coupled, and the gravitic plating has opposing charges that push the ring tangentially?

Well, the bottom of the top ring seems to be held in place by a paperclip. So maybe they took out the paperclip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

That's what I imagine, but it's difficult to figure out how it would rotate. Maybe the pylon and the interior of the ring are gravitically coupled, and the gravitic plating has opposing charges that push the ring tangentially?

Don't overthink it. No reason you can't just rotate the whole ship. (Maybe even just counter the head to be static)

Some people have said though that maybe it's an early human attempt at a warp drives trying to copy Vulcan ships with their ring nacelles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 1, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kirk's white collared shirt/gray slacks uniform in TMP looks good, but those onesies that most of the rest of the crew wears, complete with the late '70s earth tones, are among Star Trek's worst.

I watched Wrath of Khan today and noticed that Carol Marcus was wearing one of those blocky belt buckle things on the surface of Regula I. I guess it was a fashion accessory in the 2270s-80s.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Some people have said though that maybe it's an early human attempt at a warp drives trying to copy Vulcan ships with their ring nacelles.

I think it's probably the other way around. The ring ship was one of Jeffries' designs for the original Enterprise in TOS, that Roddenberry decided not to go with, but they stuck it in the background in one of the movies. Then, when they were designing the Vulcan ships for Enterprise, somebody remembered the ring ship and used that aesthetic for the Vulcan designs.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nessus posted:

It would make a certain amount of sense if those huge-rear end rings were like a primitive single warp nacelle.

That's what the warp engines on the Vulcan ships in Enterprise tend to look like. It's nice a trick of retconning, I think. The first warp ship was the Phoenix, then this Enterprise-XCV is supposed to be among the first warp 2 designs. It'd make sense for humans to design their first set of warp nacelles after the Vulcans that they made first contact with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I watched Wrath of Khan today and noticed that Carol Marcus was wearing one of those blocky belt buckle things on the surface of Regula I. I guess it was a fashion accessory in the 2270s-80s.

Wrath of Khan was made on the tightest of budgets (since it was produced by the television division, and was headed for television until guys like Eisner and Katzenberg started seeing footage and realized they had a legitimate movie on their hands), and Bob Sallin basically told Robert Fletcher to take everything left over from The Motion Picture and re-use it if possible (hence Carol's belt buckle, or the cadet uniforms being the Motion Picture onesies with a new dye job).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just watched the Next Generation episode "Haven" and holy poo poo, Deanna almost married this guy:

Fuckin' T-Bag.

Also, that box that shits jewels with a face that yells at you is the stuff of nightmares.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Don't overthink it. No reason you can't just rotate the whole ship. (Maybe even just counter the head to be static)

Oh that makes sense, for some reason it didn't read as the cylindrical part being centered on the rings, so I pictured it drawing a ludicrous circle in space. But it could spin around that as hub so that part and the rings have rotational gravity, and then the pylon connecting them will have unidirectional gravity so it would be an easy walk between the separate areas. Cool, actually.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The colors and production design of TOS are so incredible. It's so distinctive and iconic, it's something that's completely missing from the rest of the franchise. I love DS9 but it's so visually unpleasant. Like someone just vomited across everything. Like the "adult video" sections of old Mom and Pop video stores

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, it's as if that whole station was designed by fascists that like to keep things grim.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Binary Badger posted:

Has anyone bought one of these hoodies?

https://kevf.com/collections/movie/star-trek

Kinda want this one:

Ah, we get the same Facebook ads. I found they do Voltron hoodies as well, and I quite like those.

EDIT: lol

https://kevf.com/collections/movie/products/the-orville-hoodies-the-orville-zip-up-hoodie

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 1, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Low Desert Punk posted:

The colors and production design of TOS are so incredible. It's so distinctive and iconic, it's something that's completely missing from the rest of the franchise. I love DS9 but it's so visually unpleasant. Like someone just vomited across everything. Like the "adult video" sections of old Mom and Pop video stores

Yeah it’s super good. TNG era stuff has its own visual appeal but they’ve never recaptured the look of TOS even in the remakes. Even the Black Mirror episode about TOS doesn’t quite grasp it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Phylodox posted:

I just watched the Next Generation episode "Haven" and holy poo poo, Deanna almost married this guy:

Fuckin' T-Bag.

Also, that box that shits jewels with a face that yells at you is the stuff of nightmares.

That's Armin Shimmerman

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

T'bag was a model Vulcan citizen, except for one habit

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s super good. TNG era stuff has its own visual appeal but they’ve never recaptured the look of TOS even in the remakes. Even the Black Mirror episode about TOS doesn’t quite grasp it.

The colors are just wierd and distinctive. You csn especislly see it if you tour the sets in person. Like "ok, here's s pink spotlight on a section of wall in a military spaceship. Now a purple one"

You wouldn't think it would work but somehow it does .

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

The colors are just wierd and distinctive. You csn especislly see it if you tour the sets in person. Like "ok, here's s pink spotlight on a section of wall in a military spaceship. Now a purple one"

Weren’t the directors basically given free reign (and encouraged) to light the sets as odd and colorful as they pleased, since they really wanted to hype the show up for color television?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

Weren’t the directors basically given free reign (and encouraged) to light the sets as odd and colorful as they pleased, since they really wanted to hype the show up for color television?

Yes, it was basically the TV equivalent of colored lighting effects in N64 games.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HD DAD posted:

It was more to do with coloured lighting gels being cheaper and quicker than actual repainting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The show's use of sharp lighting and big blocks of color is really noticeable coming from other series. It's minimalistic but also bold and visually arresting. Here's a neat article which touches on some of the things I like about it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

quote:

The return to the Star Trek saga in the movies reminds us that, even if you think the enterprise is idiotic,

Laddie.... don't ya think you should rephrase that?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skasion posted:

The show's use of sharp lighting and big blocks of color is really noticeable coming from other series. It's minimalistic but also bold and visually arresting. Here's a neat article which touches on some of the things I like about it.

quote:

“By treating the style of the original series as integral to the show — and not as a kind of regrettable defect — we can get a better grasp on the Star Trek phenomenon itself.”

:swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1024669331152461824

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basically the same price as real jerseys, and they’re doing a hat?

:getin::getin::getin:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I might wear this and I would definitely wear a Niners hat

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Astroman posted:

The real genius comes through when your realize that the show was also designed to look good and distinctive in black&white, too, with the different uniform colors still being identifiable, and so on.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zesty posted:

Yeah, it's as if that whole station was designed by fascists that like to keep things grim.

But enough about Rick Berman.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes, I like ships. I have no idea how this actually works.

It works very well, thank you.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

I love how at the end of that episode they start trolling the heck outta the Vulcan guy for caring about winning so much.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I love how at the end of that episode they start trolling the heck outta the Vulcan guy for caring about winning so much.

The moral of that episode is "gently caress Vulcans and their stupid smug faces."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kibayasu posted:

The moral of that episode is "gently caress Vulcans and their stupid smug faces."

It’s the true epilogue to Enterprise’s ongoing “Vulcans are dicks” plot.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That the Vulcan captain also repeatedly publishes academic papers about how he whooped Sisko's rear end is some good poo poo too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kibayasu posted:

Honestly feels like a recurring undertone to DS9 overall.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

That the Vulcan captain also repeatedly publishes academic papers about how he whooped Sisko's rear end is some good poo poo too

My big question is, what does his crew think about all this?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Epicurius posted:

My big question is, what does his crew think about all this?

Vulcans are all alike.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

Vulcans are all alike.

Interesting, although not supported by the Star Trek shows, I don't think.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blast Fantasto posted:

That the Vulcan captain also repeatedly publishes academic papers about how whooped Sisko's rear end is is some good poo poo too

How I read this the first time.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Thanks, Pick!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

skasion posted:

It's one of the things I liked about JJTrek. Stuff like brewery engineering was poo poo, but the bridge was an amazing updating that really feels like what they might have made if they had a 21st century budget.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I disagree. The costumes are ok but there’s absolutely nothing about the JJTrek interiors that reminds me of TOS. Maybe the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't decide whether to put my kanar sticker on my car or my wet bar. Is it committed on the sticker side, so I could put it on the inside of a window?