Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Along those same lines, I can never get over my parents saying poo poo like "what will be neighbors think?" in regards to, well pretty much anything.

Ma, the guy next door is a burn out weed dealer (with pathetic wares no less) and the family across the street is constantly collectively drunk as poo poo, why do we suddenly care about their opinion?

Same with "people" instead of "neighbors." What people?? Who is scrutinizing us? No one gives a poo poo about anything.

I chalk it up to different times where your reputation on a local scale could have serious ramifications, I don't know. Some small town mentality maybe?
It seems to be something that's more pertinent the lower on the socio-economic ladder you get: when you don't have a lot, the least you can maintain is your pride/dignity, and that means having things that demonstrate your relative wealth. My experience with this is anecdotal based on my wife and wife's family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Fine-china-no-one-eats-off is a Greatest Generation thing that just barely soaked into Boomers.

Although we had pewter dishes, which are loud, heavy, and terribly uncomfortable to eat off of and were only used once and now we all have heavy metal poisoning.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Avocados and financial ruin. Name a more iconic Duo, I'll wait

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chipotles-free-guacamole-day-disaster-180447638.html

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm 36 and we all grew up with constant exposure to lead. Maybe that is why I am so dumb but a lot of people I know seem to be OK.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

I also grew up in a house with fine china that nobody was allowed to touch or use. Who were these hypothetical fancy people that Boomers expected to drop by for dinner? The Pope? Did ANYONE use the fine china?

I'm holding out for Obama.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I like how Chipotle can't help but in the news for poisoning people every year. Also lol that they just get as popular after a short lull each time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Any stats on whether Chipotle has a higher food poisoning per sale ratio than other fast food? They make the news all the time but it's like... "eight people had a sore tummy for a day after eating Chipotle", and I can't imagine your typical drive-thru restaurant has better cleaning practices.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's pronounced chyyyna

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/cvgw

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

DEMAG posted:

I guess the Beyblade and Pokemon card markets tanked?

Meanwhile a Black Lotus just sold for $88k

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008
GWM and BWM?

My grandfather was GWM. He was a mathmatics major, principal of school and a farmer. He took care of his equipment, saved, and was very frugal. He was well regarded and was an adviser on a few company boards.

He lived during the great depression. Survived WW2 by training airmen to build and use radios. He wasn't very fond of risk and focused mainly on buying land that could be leased and farmed. He was often approached by business owners looking for loans and angel money. These were not shady deals mind you, but entrepreneurs and business owners looking for a small business loans to pool with the money they had saved during and after the war.

In the late 1950's he was approached by a relative and another man. I don't know the exact number but my grandmother believed they were looking for around $10,000 to help their small company stay afloat. He thought it was too risky and said no. GWM?

The company they were trying to keep going was Medtronic. Hindsight is 20/20 but is still hurts.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nail Rat posted:

What the gently caress does it mean to Seamless something.

I assume it's an app? Is there no end to people making every retarded app name into a verb?

ok grandpa

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Plus, active voice is literally always better than passive

I Seamlessed the food

I had this food delivered

One conveys the information more clearly and efficiently and is thus more good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

sunday at work posted:

China was a thing a generation or two before Boomers, back before you could get decent house wears at any department store for cheap. You put your fancy plates on display to show off, even back then you didn't eat off them except maybe for special ocasions. Most Boomers had China passed to them or got it for no other reason that it was what you were supposed to do.

Lol fine China dinnerware has been a thing for 300+ years, trust me our grandparents did not invent the idea of having a display cabinet full of expensive positional good porcelain dinnerware, much like they didn't invent the idea of having a superfluous formal dining room in their house to store it in.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

brugroffil posted:

None toast with left avocado

Late but appreciating this

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I Seamlessed the food

"I ordered this on Seamless" works too. Also, it might be more pertinent to mention the actual restaurant, if not more profitable.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

NEEEEERRRRRDDDDSSSSS

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Moneyball posted:

It's pronounced chyyyna

Actually it’s pronounced dead

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/93i885/my_girl_bought_a_brand_new_2019_jeep_and_cant/ posted:

My girl bought a brand new 2019 Jeep and cant even make the first payment. Can someone offer advice to save our lives

She made every wrong mistake in the book when purchasing it. It was $26,500 with a %27.9 interest! The contract states that by the time she's done paying it off that she will have paid $52000 for a piece of poo poo jeep. She has 2 kids, 4 dogs, no job, no place to live and lied about a job to get this thing. I already know I shouldn't be with her so please save my time and avoid giving me relationship advice. I need advice on how to get rid of this thing asap with minimal damage. I already explained to her that she has to accept she's going to lose a lot of money no matter what.

-Should she just find the first person willing to buy it and try to sell to them? And pay the remaining out of pocket? -Should she let it get repo-ed asap? (She already had one car repo-ed and doesn't have any credit already, so I think this would work) -Any other creative ideas anyone has to offer would save 4 futures.

I was willing to sacrifice a lot for her and her 2 kids. But this Jeep is a whole other story. I'm pretty sure our relationship will be over if she can't get rid of this thing

Sounds like a whole lot of "not his problem" once he runs

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 31, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

drat Bananas posted:

I need advice on how to get rid of this thing asap with minimal damage

Just say "it's not working out" and block her number.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Do they not do any kind of income verification?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hoodwinker posted:

It seems to be something that's more pertinent the lower on the socio-economic ladder you get: when you don't have a lot, the least you can maintain is your pride/dignity, and that means having things that demonstrate your relative wealth. My experience with this is anecdotal based on my wife and wife's family.

This is how it was for my wife's parents, who came here from Mexico. Her dad's family treated her mom pretty badly because her mom's side of the family was dirt poor.

Not surprisingly she can be pretty consciencious about how others perceive her family.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Panfilo posted:

This is how it was for my wife's parents, who came here from Mexico. Her dad's family treated her mom pretty badly because her mom's side of the family was dirt poor.

Not surprisingly she can be pretty consciencious about how others perceive her family.
What a surprise, my wife is Mexican/Puerto Rican.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just ask Bruised Credit Steve.. he really needs a new car!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

wilderthanmild posted:

This is one of those incredible instances where literally everyone involved is a colossal gently caress up

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I Seamlessed the food

If this post is ironic then I commend you. If it is sincere then you must never post again.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Avocados are $4 a pop at upscale grocery stores, which is dangerously close to Lucille Bluth Banananomics

However, non-fancy grocery stores will sell you (admittedly smaller and not organic) avocados for 2 for $1, when they’re on sale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Holy poo poo that place is still in business in like Holiday?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Ok, but avocados are gross and buying them is BWM because they are yucky

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Holy poo poo that place is still in business in like Holiday?

gently caress if i know i just googled "buy here pay here"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Raere posted:

Ok, but avocados are gross and buying them is BWM because they are yucky

Mods?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This gag is never not funny to me. Thank you for this gift.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Higgy posted:

gently caress if i know i just googled "buy here pay here"

Oh.

The name and sign shape rang a bell from idk probably 15 years ago now. If thats the place, it's situated in absolutely the epitome of BWM for like 1000 miles in both directions because it's on the gulf coast of Florida about 30 mins north of Tampa.

E: lmaooooooooooo it is

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Here in the PNW avocadoes are never less than like $1.5 per, even for the smallest ones. And often $2.99 or so. I was pretty floored when I walked in to a walmart in Florida and you could get a five lb bag for like four bux.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Deegan posted:

In the late 1950's he was approached by a relative and another man. I don't know the exact number but my grandmother believed they were looking for around $10,000 to help their small company stay afloat. He thought it was too risky and said no. GWM?

The company they were trying to keep going was Medtronic. Hindsight is 20/20 but is still hurts.
$10,000 in 1950's money is a LOT of money. It's a lot of money now but we're talking buying-a-house money back then. Not putting it in a small company that had uncertain prospects, and likely in a line of business your grandfather didn't fully understand, is not a bad decision.

Just because the ball lands on black in roulette when you thought it would doesn't mean putting thousands of bucks on the table would have been a good idea.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 1, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Any stats on whether Chipotle has a higher food poisoning per sale ratio than other fast food? They make the news all the time but it's like... "eight people had a sore tummy for a day after eating Chipotle", and I can't imagine your typical drive-thru restaurant has better cleaning practices.

They make a big deal about their ingredients, which is a big part of it I expect.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Deegan posted:

GWM and BWM?

My grandfather was GWM. He was a mathmatics major, principal of school and a farmer. He took care of his equipment, saved, and was very frugal. He was well regarded and was an adviser on a few company boards.

He lived during the great depression. Survived WW2 by training airmen to build and use radios. He wasn't very fond of risk and focused mainly on buying land that could be leased and farmed. He was often approached by business owners looking for loans and angel money. These were not shady deals mind you, but entrepreneurs and business owners looking for a small business loans to pool with the money they had saved during and after the war.

Blizzard only exists because of this sort of deal. Crazy how much can change because of one loan or deal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Anyone heard of a company called StockCharts.com? They advertise on the radio during baseball games constantly and claim to be an option if your financial advisor is no longer hitting it out of the park.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fine-china-no-one-eats-off is a Greatest Generation thing that just barely soaked into Boomers.

Although we had pewter dishes, which are loud, heavy, and terribly uncomfortable to eat off of and were only used once and now we all have heavy metal poisoning.

For our wedding some older in laws insisted they set up a tea/coffee station using their silver set during the reception. It was a minor thing and seemed to work ok but seemed kinda random. Possibly a Swedish thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Anyone heard of a company called StockCharts.com? They advertise on the radio during baseball games constantly and claim to be an option if your financial advisor is no longer hitting it out of the park.

Their target market is "technical analysts," who are day traders that think they can learn everything they need to know about a stock by looking at price and volume charts. Think the stock market equivalent of guys in Vegas who have a "perfect system."

The company is legitimate and provide exactly what you'd think: a bunch of pretty, customizable stock charts behind a subscription service. But, like the guy selling shovels in a gold rush, they tend to encourage BWM decisions because it's good for their own business.