Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

now hold on there friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

The Merkinman posted:

So does Hollow Knight, and maybe Undertale?
The situation is when a game comes to Switch far after it came to other platforms, people talk about it in the Switch thread rather than the games' thread because it's "old" at that point there.

This thread is way nicer place to casually ask or talk about a game; the dedicated threads are for people who are intensely into that particular game and it's way nicer to just shoot the poo poo than formally submit for entrance into the first four degrees of *your game here* Freemasonry. I'm exaggerating, but you know. This thread is pretty chill, even when it's arguing, I've found.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thread can you cater to my unbiased nature and gush about undertale and how good it is I'll feel alienated if you don't

E: I am asking I have the spine to.

Undertail is cool

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

did you try not killing the cow

Yeah but it didn't seem to be responding to not killing it and I was getting low on hp

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

mysterious frankie posted:

hmmmmm, I'm up to my neck in games now. I'll hold off for now. Not because I expect a sale, since it's a Nintendo first party games, but just 'acause. It looks so cool, but I just know I'm never gonna play mp.

Check your library to see if they lend out copies.

Or, maybe make a "looking for" post in the SA Mart?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Yeah but it didn't seem to be responding to not killing it and I was getting low on hp

The biggest curse of undertale is being told your playing it wrong because you killed something/someone.

It's one of my legit complaints about the fandom back when it launched and I had to watch commenters turn on people they liked for not playing it "right". Games like 3 hours or so long assuming you don't get too stuck, if you kill something roll with it. You'll get a custom ending for it anyway.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

How horrid...people talking about a game you don't like. I don't know how you survive the trauma...

Speaking as someone who hasn't played Celeste or Hallownight, It is kinda annoying when a game completely dominates the thread instead of someone just making a new thread for that game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't played Celeste or Hallownight, It is kinda annoying when a game completely dominates the thread instead of someone just making a new thread for that game

Celeste and Hollow Knight do have their own threads :v:

I haven't peeked at the Hollow Knight thread but I know some game-specific ones turn off the black bars after a couple months, so they usually flood up console threads so you can remain unspoiled which makes enough sense to me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Beastie posted:

Check your library to see if they lend out copies.

I didn't even know libraries rented out video games. That is weeeeeeird.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Half the reason I find good games is because people are discussing it in this thread. Stop acting like it's such a big deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Undertale exists and is a functional game. Like its predecessor Earthbound, its trash

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TheKingofSprings posted:

Senran Kagura doesn’t come out until December

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Barudak posted:

Undertale exists and is a functional game. Like its predecessor Earthbound, its trash

I was shaking my head in agreement...

...until that second sentence.

We are now short duration enemies. Set your timer for fifteen minutes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You know what's a good game on Switch? Crypt of the NecroDancer. I could play that game all day

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

thetoughestbean posted:

You know what's a good game on Switch? Crypt of the NecroDancer. I could play that game all day

That's on the switch now? I played way too much of that on steam.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Undertale is great and I can't wait to play it on my Nintendo Switch?

You know what isn't great? Celeste, the overrated piece of loving trash :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Is the cow uh... Toriel? It took me awhile to figure out how to not kill her. I sort of stumbled into that path because I read that it was possible to beat the game without killing anything, and I thought that was neat so I made it my mission.

Anyway, assuming you're talking about Toriel, you have to select "Mercy" over and over while she talks to you. Then you'll finally have the option to end the battle.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mulloy posted:

That's on the switch now? I played way too much of that on steam.

And it's very slightly cheaper on the eshop than buying the base game + dlc on steam! (Amplified dlc is included on the switch version)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mysterious frankie posted:

This thread is way nicer place to casually ask or talk about a game; the dedicated threads are for people who are intensely into that particular game and it's way nicer to just shoot the poo poo than formally submit for entrance into the first four degrees of *your game here* Freemasonry. I'm exaggerating, but you know. This thread is pretty chill, even when it's arguing, I've found.

They're just threads, not exclusive posting clubs, chill out

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're just threads, not exclusive posting clubs, chill out

You might want to do a zoom and enhance on the "I'm exaggerating, but you know" part of that block of words, then put your best team to work figuring out what it could mean.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It's the middle of summer vacation and there's still no Peach Beach Splash™ on the Switch. wth Japan, I thought you were cool.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

ly fake

the best thing about that fight is that if you do get into the low HP range, her attacks avoid you and the only way to get hit by them is to try

and she becomes shocked if you do manage to kill yourself on her attacks

Dizz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 1, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’m excited for Vesperia and TWEWY

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So did anyone actually play Titan Quest yet? My copy comes in tomorrow and I'm curious how the port is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Riddled with bugs apparently

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Saw on resetera and it isn't exactly confirmation straight from Nintendo, but looking at the eShop fine print or lack thereof it does appear f2p games will not require the subscription.

ggx2ac on resetera posted:

I saw this getting asked a lot in the thread about online not being free anymore in a month.

If you go to the eShop, and look at an online game like Minecraft, it will have something like this in the fine print:

"To use online services you must have access to a wireless internet connection. Some online services may not be available in all countries. From the full launch of the Nintendo Switch Online membership service in 2018, online play requires a paid membership."

Lots of retail games with online play have that fine print. 
However, if you look at the following free to play games:

Paladins
Fortnite
Pokémon Quest
Dawn of the Breakers
Fallout Shelter
Galak-Z: Variant S
Zaccaria Pinball
The Pinball Arcade
Kitten Squad
Pinball FX3

None of them have that fine print.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Andrast posted:

I wish I was interested in smash but I don’t really have the chance to play with friends on the couch anymore so I’m not

I’m really hoping they don’t pull a Nintendo and actually let me play with friends online. Not letting me play Kirby, Donkey Kong or Mario Party board games online with friends is dumb.

20 bucks a month is easy but I so far have no reason to pay it when they hate the idea of playing online with friends so much.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’m excited for Vesperia and TWEWY

Oh lah dee dah, look at this guy and the games he likes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im gonna get twewy but dat price sheesh

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I can't believe they're still porting Titan Quest to modern consoles, geez. I played Diablo 3 on a console and the controls worked pretty dang well, partially because I think they designed stuff around console ports during development, but I wonder how a 12 year old game is gonna port all those keyboard binds.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Those of you who wrapped up octo or are still playing it, how's it holding up? The itch to snag it isn't going away, but I'm afraid I'll play for ten to fifteen hours before never touching it again.

I do like jrpgs though. Is the difficulty curve good and satisfying from beginning to end?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

KingSlime posted:

Those of you who wrapped up octo or are still playing it, how's it holding up? The itch to snag it isn't going away, but I'm afraid I'll play for ten to fifteen hours before never touching it again.

I do like jrpgs though. Is the difficulty curve good and satisfying from beginning to end?

I'm at like 27 hours and I'm about to start everyone's 3rd chapter. It's good.

I really like that the chapters are pretty straightforward and aren't total slogs to get through. Same with the dungeons, there's enough loot to go through but it's not like you have to go totally out of your way and backtrack to get to it before continuing on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

That certainly makes more sense than the 65 inches of crank lever I'm looking at.

I'm sure some people would be happy with a 65 inch crank lever.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

KingSlime posted:

I’m glad I avoided it but only because monster hunter PC and switch are so soon. Way better choice IMO TBH

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Im halfway through the stories and i barely pick it up anymore. Combat is fun but thats all thats fun. Ill pick away at it until smash comes out i guess

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

You can break the difficulty curve in a few ways, but its really easy to choose not to (don't kill those cat rogue creatures or use the rando dance)

Otherwise, it's pretty darn good. It always gives you a target range before you end up in a new area so you only get overwhelmed if you want to (or if you don't bring a good mix of weapons/magic)

I just took a jaunt into a Chapter 4 area while I'm only half done with the chapter 3s and chose to fight an optional boss in a bonus job shrine and it was a hell of a good fight for almost an hour before I experienced only my second game over screen. Time to respec and head back in! I can do it! I think I'm fighting a goddess and she has like 300,000 HP and keeps throwing meteors on the whole party, so that's fun.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Unholy Heights on the Switch was maybe the best $3.49 I've spent in a while.I'm almost done with DQ Builders and having Octopath waiting, but all I want to do is run my monster slum.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

The Bloop posted:

You can break the difficulty curve in a few ways, but its really easy to choose not to (don't kill those cat rogue creatures or use the rando dance)

Otherwise, it's pretty darn good. It always gives you a target range before you end up in a new area so you only get overwhelmed if you want to (or if you don't bring a good mix of weapons/magic)

I just took a jaunt into a Chapter 4 area while I'm only half done with the chapter 3s and chose to fight an optional boss in a bonus job shrine and it was a hell of a good fight for almost an hour before I experienced only my second game over screen. Time to respec and head back in! I can do it! I think I'm fighting a goddess and she has like 300,000 HP and keeps throwing meteors on the whole party, so that's fun.

That does sound like my jam. Are you doing all 8 stories simultaneously or did you opt to split the game into half, getting 4 stories done then going back to the remaining chars?

If the former, how have you been dealing with having a main character that is always in your party and will inevitably end up op as you work through all 8 stories?

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 1, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also, holy moly, either Bayonetta 2 went on a super sale literally today or you get a rebate for already owning part one, but the price on the digital store for 2 is currently $29.99 for me. Which is, you know, tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Bayonetta is really good

• Locked thread