Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

assuming it’s not immediately sold out in vip hours I can try and grab it for you if you’d still want it. Do you want the expansion as well?

Also anyone have more questions for Cole Wehrle post them here, I’m going a video interview with him about Root this weekend. Check out his excellent designer diaries if you haven’t, the Lizard Cultists one is especially great.

Yes I'd like both if you can get them, thanks very much Bottom Liner!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Do we know if the xpacs are going to be wide released or were they KS exclusives?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

Do we know if the xpacs are going to be wide released or were they KS exclusives?

full retail release and no KS exclusives just delayed release for production

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

oh no

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The ultimate combination of imbecilic poo poo that goes on too long.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I would prefer Rick and Morty Fluxx personally.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't mind playing a Munchkin game, but only if there are absolutely no expansions involved. The very second someone says they have another expansion to bolt onto the game, is when I'm out.

For the most part I've played maybe one game that's gone on for far too long, but otherwise it just plays out like any other bad game, where I disconnect and stop caring at all about what happens to me vis a vis winning (see also: Betrayal, Fluxx, Smash Up, et al)

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I don't mind playing a Munchkin game, but only if there are absolutely no expansions involved. The very second someone says they have another expansion to bolt onto the game, is when I'm out.

For the most part I've played maybe one game that's gone on for far too long, but otherwise it just plays out like any other bad game, where I disconnect and stop caring at all about what happens to me vis a vis winning (see also: Betrayal, Fluxx, Smash Up, et al)

That is a weird line in the sand. I don't think comboing sets really does much to effect meaningful choices or game length. Although my experience is thankfully limited

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Munchkin is poo poo no matter how you cut it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

djfooboo posted:

Munchkin is poo poo no matter how you cut it.

Not even with a guillotine or like an axe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Queen have got an interesting game coming for once, called Franchise. It's a fairly abstract area control game with a pasted-on theme of running a fast food franchise and spreading it across America. Due for release at Essen, but they'll be doing a KS for people who can't make it so they can get their copies at the same time. As I am going to Essen, I'll take the chance to sit down with it first.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mojo Jojo posted:

That is a weird line in the sand. I don't think comboing sets really does much to effect meaningful choices or game length. Although my experience is thankfully limited

I find that when you start adding other expansions, poo poo does not work well together. You end up having two and a half classes on your guy, half of which interact with part of the deck and the other half which interact with another, while monsters only affect part of the players but have a new mechanic that no one's current abilities deal with, etc. So everything gets bogged down as people try to figure out which of their abilities/classes/equipment applies to the current situation.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Also anyone have more questions for Cole Wehrle post them here, I’m going a video interview with him about Root this weekend. Check out his excellent designer diaries if you haven’t, the Lizard Cultists one is especially great.

Thought of a few more questions worth asking:

- I noticed that the crafting costs are tilted towards various suits in Root (a fifth of the cards are crafted with one mouse, the highest scoring are two bunnies). Is there a message about class there? What are Cole's politics overall?

- What other historical settings is he interested in exploring? He got 3 games out of exploring the East India Company (and is apparently sitting on an expansion for JC that mixes in the Bank of England as a player). Me personally, I'd like to see more games set in lesser explored time periods like American Reconstruction.

- Root, JC, and Infamous Traffic have a huge luck-component to them. Has this luck-dependence hurt his intended message?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Clank is a game I'd be interested in playing if I ran into someone who had it, but holy poo poo are they pumping out expansions like crazy. They just announced Clank Expeditions, which uses your old Clank cards on new maps.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sinteres posted:

Clank is a game I'd be interested in playing if I ran into someone who had it, but holy poo poo are they pumping out expansions like crazy. They just announced Clank Expeditions, which uses your old Clank cards on new maps.

All these dumb clank spinoffs and sequels and expansions and I'm still waiting for my Super Motherload added content. Get on it, Roxley!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Queen have got an interesting game coming for once, called Franchise. It's a fairly abstract area control game with a pasted-on theme of running a fast food franchise and spreading it across America. Due for release at Essen, but they'll be doing a KS for people who can't make it so they can get their copies at the same time. As I am going to Essen, I'll take the chance to sit down with it first.

Looks like it’s a reimplementation or Medieval Merchant according to bgg? I have heard good things about that one.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

So I've sort of had a vague idea, and I just wanted to run it up the flagpole here. Have there been any games that combine deckbuilding with action programming? Most programmable action games that I can think of have identical fixed decks, or everyone draws from a single deck. Everyone starting with a set of basic actions, but being able to specialize and upgrade sounds interesting to me. The rub is probably luck mitigation, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Morpheus posted:

I find that when you start adding other expansions, poo poo does not work well together. You end up having two and a half classes on your guy, half of which interact with part of the deck and the other half which interact with another, while monsters only affect part of the players but have a new mechanic that no one's current abilities deal with, etc. So everything gets bogged down as people try to figure out which of their abilities/classes/equipment applies to the current situation.

I found the same thing. One guy I used to know insisted on doing games with all of his versions, and that's when you're not getting the evening back.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey Bottom Liner (should have gotten your text number!!) if you are still reading can you also throw in a copy of Coimbra? It's not releasing until very late in September apparently, would like to have it earlier if you are able. If not, no problem!!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lorini posted:

Hey Bottom Liner (should have gotten your text number!!) if you are still reading can you also throw in a copy of Coimbra? It's not releasing until very late in September apparently, would like to have it earlier if you are able. If not, no problem!!!!

Gotcha, you can pm me on the discord if you want

I got to play Keyflower with my favorite artist (non boardgame related) today, that was pretty awesome.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There was some discussion on Tim Fowers before, so just a heads up: https://twitter.com/tfowers/status/1024805603057836033

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

El Fideo posted:

So I've sort of had a vague idea, and I just wanted to run it up the flagpole here. Have there been any games that combine deckbuilding with action programming? Most programmable action games that I can think of have identical fixed decks, or everyone draws from a single deck. Everyone starting with a set of basic actions, but being able to specialize and upgrade sounds interesting to me. The rub is probably luck mitigation, right?

In an abstract way, you could think of Paperback and Hardback as deckbuilding action programming, and (most importantly) look at them for how they handle luck mitigation.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Arboretum Deluxe also went up for preorder at Cardhaus at a price you can’t afford to miss! https://www.cardhaus.com/arboretum-deluxe/

Hey, thanks for this link! At that price, it's only about four dollars more than pre-ordering the new standard edition coming out.

I had some questions for the thread; has anyone heard of Dungeon of Fortune? It sounds neat and is at a great price, but I don't know if I should bother.

I've heard mostly good things about Twilight Struggle but haven't really looked at it in any depth before. Anyone mind selling me on it?

Also, please talk me out of buying the Legends of the Hidden Temple board game. I've heard it's kind of bad, but my local Target has it on clearance and I'm sorely tempted.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

pospysyl posted:

There was some discussion on Tim Fowers before, so just a heads up: https://twitter.com/tfowers/status/1024805603057836033

Lol this is the third Fowers sale I see, and it's not like I'm actively paying attention.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Agent Rush posted:

I've heard mostly good things about Twilight Struggle but haven't really looked at it in any depth before. Anyone mind selling me on it?

It gets really good after a few dozen plays. It's like a longer, more obtuse Fort Sumter. Even if you don't like the game, it's fun to read about the inspirations behind all the event cards.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So uh...that new Richard Garfield game where every deck is a random mix of the released cards. That sounds horrible

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Agent Rush posted:

It's one of those games that's deep enough to have developed dedicated strategy discussions. It's a Cold War game about playing cards to make events happen (the hook is that if it's an "enemy" event, it happens automatically") and allocate influence into Cold War-era countries to score points. There's a strong element of bluffing/trying to read your opponent in where influence is placed and where a player might be trying to score points (or just trying to look as if they are), as well as brinkmanship as modelled by the DEFCON/required military ops (you have to do some aggressive actions every round or lose points). It's very thematic; the Soviets have a strong early game but will be overtaken by the Americans towards the end.

Honestly though, I would say it's such a deep and specific-tastes game that you should try before you buy - the iOS/Android/Steam versions are all well-priced, well-implemented (one of the best BG app adaptations imo) and will let you know if it's for you; I'm not sure what your personal tastes are like. TS is a somewhat heavy two-player-only game that can take 2-3hrs and has quite a bit of depth that only becomes apparent through repeated play, so you ought to consider whether you'll have a gaming buddy who'll be willing to fumble around in the dark with you for the first couple of games of the cardboard.

Edit: if you get the app, I'll play a game with you. Be advised, I'm bad. My Playdek username is TheNarrator

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 2, 2018

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Kashuno posted:

So uh...that new Richard Garfield game where every deck is a random mix of the released cards. That sounds horrible

I really like FFG card games, and even I think this just seems fuckin' dumb as hell. You can't even combine cards from different decks!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CuddlyZombie posted:

I really like FFG card games, and even I think this just seems fuckin' dumb as hell. You can't even combine cards from different decks!

The idea of a “meta” and tournaments for a game where you can’t build your deck and things are just random mixes of cards from different “houses” is insane. How do you have a meta if no one can actually build a deck? Are they seriously just expecting people to endlessly buy entire new decks

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Kashuno posted:

Are they seriously just expecting people to endlessly buy entire new decks

Search your heart. You already know the answer.

As for me, I couldn't reject the idea fast enough. Might be a cute idea if it was digital and free (or a one time fee) but this just looks like they're trying to build a physical gacha game that costs $10 a pop.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

PerniciousKnid posted:

It gets really good after a few dozen plays. It's like a longer, more obtuse Fort Sumter. Even if you don't like the game, it's fun to read about the inspirations behind all the event cards.

The Narrator posted:

It's one of those games that's deep enough to have developed dedicated strategy discussions. It's a Cold War game about playing cards to make events happen (the hook is that if it's an "enemy" event, it happens automatically") and allocate influence into Cold War-era countries to score points. There's a strong element of bluffing/trying to read your opponent in where influence is placed and where a player might be trying to score points (or just trying to look as if they are), as well as brinkmanship as modelled by the DEFCON/required military ops (you have to do some aggressive actions every round or lose points). It's very thematic; the Soviets have a strong early game but will be overtaken by the Americans towards the end.

Honestly though, I would say it's such a deep and specific-tastes game that you should try before you buy - the iOS/Android/Steam versions are all well-priced, well-implemented (one of the best BG app adaptations imo) and will let you know if it's for you; I'm not sure what your personal tastes are like. TS is a somewhat heavy two-player-only game that can take 2-3hrs and has quite a bit of depth that only becomes apparent through repeated play, so you ought to consider whether you'll have a gaming buddy who'll be willing to fumble around in the dark with you for the first couple of games of the cardboard.

Edit: if you get the app, I'll play a game with you. Be advised, I'm bad. My Playdek username is TheNarrator

Thanks to both of you!

The Narrator, the Steam version is the only one I could get if I did, would we be able to play each other?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think that, because it's tied to a Playdek account, there's mutual crossplay between all platforms.

I have the Steam version also, so that won't be a problem anyway

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kashuno posted:

The idea of a “meta” and tournaments for a game where you can’t build your deck and things are just random mixes of cards from different “houses” is insane. How do you have a meta if no one can actually build a deck? Are they seriously just expecting people to endlessly buy entire new decks
I mean...in theory you can do tournaments where everyone buys a new deck and plays with that. But even then it falls short because part of drafting is using a limited pool of cards to build a deck.

But like...actual constructed tournaments? No competitive player is going to bother with that. I feel like they wanted to be "innovative" so badly that nobody stopped to think if what they were doing had any kind of long-term future.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The inevitable reboot of Arkham Horror is upon us:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/1/arkham-horror-third-edition/

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Wow, they’ve shaken things up more than I would have expected. I guess Eldritch Horror is really AH: refined edition already. EH and the Arkham Horror LCG are solid enough that I’m going to need some convincing about how this is better/different...

Edit: goddamn it FFG where’s my civ new dawn expansion already?!?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got to play some Gaslands tonight for some pre-Gen Con gaming. Had a really fun time. I think that’s an easy must buy for me while I’m here.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

I like the idea of the scenarios, which they've obviously already been using in Mansions of Madness and the card game. The modular board looks kind of weird to me, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this. I've been thinking about buying Mansions of Madness, but if this ends up being good I'll probably just get in on the ground floor here instead.

Blamestorm posted:

No news on that, but FFG did announce an expansion to a different game:

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1024796068658249728

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This looks really nice. Its basically a completely different game. The modular board is a good idea. Using tokens to generate a Mythos instead of having a huge pile of cards is a good idea on paper, but I feel like it might simplify the game too much. Lots of Mythos cards have complex effects on them in addition to the normal spawning enemies and whatever. Drawing some tokens will not make for as interesting a Mythos effect.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
FFG internal meeting

Exec board: okay what do you have for us today

Game designer 1: i have an interesting design that will require lots of playtesting and development, we won’t make a lot of money but everyone will love the game forever

Exec board: *low murmurs*

Game designer 2: i have....uh...well gently caress em. gently caress the consumers. Just uh, lets build the decks for them from huge random card pools and uh slap some respected guy’s name on it. And people have to buy a new deck for every event! Yeah! We’ll make tons of cash!

Exec board: *silence. A slow clap starts building to raucous cheering. Game designer 2 is picked up and carried out of the room to cheering and celebration*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Since I bought some poker chips to use with 1846, are there any other non-18xx games that would give me an excuse to use them?