Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Chinatown posted:

Weightlifting lets you feel good about yourself while simultaneously feel completely unsatisfied with yourself.

I lift because I hate my body, and I want to punish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Unfortunately it will only get stronger, and you'll have to keep working harder and harder to keep punishing it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:same:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol why are you doing smolov

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I lift because I lift because I lift because I lift

Got to 630 pounds on squat press today, getting closer to my old high school record of roughly 750. My friend's the one running us through the program but I think we're past starting strength now, we've been doing three week cycles of 3x5, 3x3, 3x1 on our main lifts. Main lifts in this case being, bench, deadlift, shoulder press, and squats. Personally I liked just doing 3x5 every week but we're still making really consistent gains so gently caress it.

Today I got mad about deadlifts and kicked the bar like a pissed off child lol

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I am reaaaallly enjoying 5 3 1. It’s my deload week and it both felt like I got stronger and it wasn’t too much volume.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/ZlIhmpa.mp4

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MikeCrotch posted:

Lol why are you doing smolov

Smolov jr is relatively sane, it's just a lot of volume and frequency.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Anyone have citations/resources for long-term weight loss and its effect on hormones? I feel like I've seen it here before and want to provide it to a coworker who's hardstuck at 211 after like, four years of endless weightloss (to be fair she's down from like 450lbs so... that's pretty cool)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnfurledSails posted:

Unfortunately it will only get stronger, and you'll have to keep working harder and harder to keep punishing it

Jokes on you I picked up enough injuries that now even minor lifting can cause a lot of pain.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I do zero assistance work for squat or dead and I don't take them seriously at all but I keep setting PRs

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
And they're not noob gains either I have around a 4 plate squat and 5 plate dead

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Meanwhile I barely manage 1 rep of 225 on bench or 5 reps of 135 on ohp

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wish I knew how to maintain the flexibility or rom to go anywhere with deadlifts or squats at this point. Get to the gym when I can but it's hard to keep the leg poo poo up when I have these stretches of business travel or working insane hours and everything just tightening up lower body wise. Guess that's just getting old and sucked into career / relationship

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

feelix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbvR4x0EMI&t=14s

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

:smith:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I felt a sharp pop in my quad when squatting on Sunday and I just stupidly powered through it and it's fine now

Meanwhile I'm starting to have weightlifter's shoulder and I KNOW I have to back off because last time I tried to power through it, it just got worse and worse until I eventually dislocated my shoulder and had surgery and was out of commission for 6 months

My shoulders are very bad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

I felt a sharp pop in my quad when squatting on Sunday and I just stupidly powered through it and it's fine now

Meanwhile I'm starting to have weightlifter's shoulder and I KNOW I have to back off because last time I tried to power through it, it just got worse and worse until I eventually dislocated my shoulder and had surgery and was out of commission for 6 months

I would high five you but that wouldn't end well for anyone.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feelix posted:

What's up bad shoulder buddy

I have had to resign myself to the fact I can just never do upright rows or most bench variations without my shoulders imploding

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I just wanna do 225x5 and then for the rest of my life I'll just do one set of 225x5 per week to maintain it and only do dumbbell pressing otherwise

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

feelix posted:

And they're not noob gains either I have around a 4 plate squat and 5 plate dead

My friend hasn't been super helpful on this, do you have any tips on how to keep a hard enough grip for deadlifts? Assume that I'm a pasty dickhead child handed nobody who hasn't put a day of real work in in his life, because this is true tbh. I'm using a sumo grip for 270 pounds and I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to use that for real poo poo. I could just get straps but I want to get my grip super strong

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
5 plate dead??

like 3 plates on one side and 2 on the other??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

klapman posted:

My friend hasn't been super helpful on this, do you have any tips on how to keep a hard enough grip for deadlifts? Assume that I'm a pasty dickhead child handed nobody who hasn't put a day of real work in in his life, because this is true tbh. I'm using a sumo grip for 270 pounds and I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to use that for real poo poo. I could just get straps but I want to get my grip super strong

Chalk

Liquid chalk if you don't like making a mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO-jdMRiWCY

They use a fan in that video but I don't know why because it takes only like 10 seconds if you just wave your hands around a little

It's easy as hell and will make your gripstrength SO MUCH stronger while also training your grip

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

klapman posted:

TBH your posts don't really make any sense so I don't know how to help you

What's a "Squat Press"? Do you mean leg press? I assume so because if you're lifting 600 lbs in any other way you don't need to be asking us questions

If it is leg press, then you can't compare it to your old high school record because the machines are all different and 600lbs on one machine could be the same resistance as 300lbs on another

There's no such thing as a "sumo grip", a "sumo deadlift" is when your hands are inside your legs, vs. a "conventional deadlift" where your hands are outside your legs. Neither is inherently easier than the other on average, it depends on a person's hip anatomy. Neither has anything to do with grip or grip strength, you can use any grip for either variation

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Wish I knew how to maintain the flexibility or rom to go anywhere with deadlifts or squats at this point. Get to the gym when I can but it's hard to keep the leg poo poo up when I have these stretches of business travel or working insane hours and everything just tightening up lower body wise. Guess that's just getting old and sucked into career / relationship

Buy some bands and do mobility stuff for like 15 minutes a day. Easily fit in luggage and you can do it while watching tv or whatever.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Zzulu posted:

5 plate dead??

like 3 plates on one side and 2 on the other??

If you put the plates on just one side of the bar it's makes deadlift a really good antirotation exercise

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

feelix posted:

Bench more

Press more

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Omnikin posted:

Bench more

Press more

I suspect the resurgence of my weightlifter's shoulder was due to me starting to do the Boring but Big 5 sets of 10 for those two lifts. I'm hoping that's at least not entirely the case and I can keep in under control by staying away from high-rep pull-ups which I also started doing at the same time

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bench less.

Don't bench at all, even.

It's a bad lift.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

sassassin posted:

Bench less.

Don't bench at all, even.

It's a bad lift.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

I suspect the resurgence of my weightlifter's shoulder was due to me starting to do the Boring but Big 5 sets of 10 for those two lifts. I'm hoping that's at least not entirely the case and I can keep in under control by staying away from high-rep pull-ups which I also started doing at the same time

You should be doing a lot of some sort of rowing motion to offset the pushing. That fixed my "broken" shoulders.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
squeeze harder

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Dum Cumpster posted:

You should be doing a lot of some sort of rowing motion to offset the pushing. That fixed my "broken" shoulders.

I do, I alternate the sets of 10 bench with sets of 10+ bb rows and alternate the sets of 10 ohp sets of 10+ pull ups

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I also do around 15 minutes of shoulder rehab every day religiously

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I would absolutely just see a medical professional but I already know the treatment they'll propose: you've had 13 dislocations and 4 surgeries, stop doing max effort bench and ohp, idiot

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

feelix posted:

I would absolutely just see a medical professional but I already know the treatment they'll propose: you've had 13 dislocations and 4 surgeries, stop doing max effort bench and ohp, idiot

maybe just pick one for awhile

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

that's why you vet your medical professionals before hiring them

find the guy who keeps broken power lifters competing long past when they should have given up

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

I do, I alternate the sets of 10 bench with sets of 10+ bb rows and alternate the sets of 10 ohp sets of 10+ pull ups

Try doing a rower for warm ups and maybe even some cardio if you have access to one and the time. Shoulder rehab never helped me when it came to lifting, only in everyday quality of life. I had to do more pulling that pushing to fix things. And yeah you might need to chill out on the high volume pressing for a bit to let things recover.

Or you're just hosed, but it's worth a shot if nothing else has worked so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/cjgeb0u.mp4