Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Does character assassination count as murder? Because I believe the game managed to do what I previously thought was impossible and character-assassinated a blank slate (Raven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

kw0134 posted:

spoopy ghost trainer claimed his corpse for whatever idiotic reason? (Did we ever get a resolution to that?)

Spooky Creepypasta Ghost was the last gym leader OFS dealt with and the guy who committed suicide was one of his Pokemon.

That's it. That's presumably the entire payoff to hamfistedly shoving in a real world suicide as a tasteless plot point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
From my knowledge, I think we'll be hitting at least 2 bingo's before the end of the game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Azza Bamboo posted:

I need to think of 5 themes which, when combined, would create an edgy fic but which aren't sufficient of themselves to make one.

1. Terrible Aesthetics
2. Bad Fanfic Writing Techniques
3. Heinous Crimes.
4. Reasons why my character is super special.
5. "big issues" that get addressed

Well #4 isn't happening in this game.
But there's enough #3 to make up for it I'm sure.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

kw0134 posted:

Didn't we get a ton of blood from the impact site of the trainer who committed suicide? That was miraculously cleaned off the walls when spoopy ghost trainer claimed his corpse for whatever idiotic reason? (Did we ever get a resolution to that?)

What the gently caress is this resolution you're talking about? We're 10 updates into moving a single rock a little too the side.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

ChrisBTY posted:

Well #4 isn't happening in this game.
But there's enough #3 to make up for it I'm sure.

#4 is almost happening. Just replace "my character" with "everyone else's character" and there's more than enough material.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I haven't been paying much attention

How far away from bingo am I?

I am afraid to ask, but my curiosity is overriding my better judgment. What is an expy?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Silver Falcon posted:

I am afraid to ask, but my curiosity is overriding my better judgment. What is an expy?

A fan character that's a very close copy of a canon character but with, say, different coloured hair or something so it's TOTALLY ORIGINAL HOW DARE YOU.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
An expy is an exported character.

Let's say I made a fic where there was an officer "Ginny" who wore a short skirt and she was a K9 officer who had a cute rottweiler...

Sometimes expy characters are then played as "THIS IS TOTALLY MY OC I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF JENNY WTF THEY ARE TOTALLY NOT ALIKE"

Other times expy characters are played like "Hey geddit, do you see what I'm doing here. GEDDIT?"

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 2, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All this having been said.
I would absolutely be down with a Pokemon Colosseum #3 where the central setpiece is a huge run-down city where you find most of your pokes out in the world rather than random encounters.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Long as it has Miror B with an even bouncier afro.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ChrisBTY posted:

All this having been said.
I would absolutely be down with a Pokemon Colosseum #3 where the central setpiece is a huge run-down city where you find most of your pokes out in the world rather than random encounters.

Post-apokélypse

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Long as it has Miror B with an even bouncier afro.

And Ame has nothing to do with it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Black Robe posted:

I used to RP a lot when I was younger, and breaking the clear rules of the RP-universe in order to win a fight would not be allowed in any normal community. Other players would contact an admin who would tell you to change your post and not do it again or you'd be kicked. I've been in situations where people kept insisting they totally dodged and countered in some impossible way to the point where a fight ended up in a complete stalemate, because there was nothing I could do that wouldn't get us both killed, and I finally had to drag a moderator in to tell them to knock it off and stop godmoding.

It's possible they okayed it with the other players in advance, but I think 'hey is it cool if I completely ignore a POKEMON BATTLE in this POKEMON RP and just attack your human character to auto-win' wouldn't go down too well even if your justification was 'because I'm EEEEEVILLLLL'.

Is it really breaking the rules though? Pokémon Adventures has trainers attacking other trainers, and considering how many Pokémon fans think that Adventures is a ‘DARK, MATURE STORY BRO THAT ARBOK GOT CUT IN HALF POKÉMON DIE!’, I could totally see some of Reborn’s players using Adventures to justify attacking other trainers.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vandar posted:

Is it really breaking the rules though? Pokémon Adventures has trainers attacking other trainers, and considering how many Pokémon fans think that Adventures is a ‘DARK, MATURE STORY BRO THAT ARBOK GOT CUT IN HALF POKÉMON DIE!’, I could totally see some of Reborn’s players using Adventures to justify attacking other trainers.

I still giggle at people saying that "it's against the rules guys" when Adventures has Cynthia, the good girl she is, train and learn her Garchomp Draco Meteor only so she can drop it on Cyrus' smug face as he's escaping Distortion World.

And that's not even painted like a dark moment, it's just a thing that happens.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kikas posted:

I still giggle at people saying that "it's against the rules guys" when Adventures has Cynthia, the good girl she is, train and learn her Garchomp Draco Meteor only so she can drop it on Cyrus' smug face as he's escaping Distortion World.

And that's not even painted like a dark moment, it's just a thing that happens.

Adventures is a plot where Archie and Maxie die, meet up with Giratina, get soulbonded into a single entity, get brought back to life (as two people still, mind you) to save the world, and then pull an Infinity War when they've done their job.

Adventures is not dark and edgy, Adventures is hitting the bong rips.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Does the reporter Gardevoir count for plan involving seduction?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is how we are presently:

We do hit a bingo eventually - but where? Place your bets!

Pretty sure we have Murder and Lots of Blood down, between spoopgym and Corey's splatter.

e. remind me to check how many pages are left next time before i post

Materant fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 2, 2018

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Vandar posted:

Even if Pokemon Adventures has the occasional death, the overall story elements are what makes it darker than the video games. But it doesn't get any attention since you can't point to any single panel to explain that like you can with that cartoony arbok death.

The sheer amount of stranger danger in the XY arc was frankly horrifying.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Silver Falcon posted:

Black Robe posted:

A fan character that's a very close copy of a canon character but with, say, different coloured hair or something so it's TOTALLY ORIGINAL HOW DARE YOU.
An expy also doesn't have to be a fan character per se, it's just much more common among fan characters. Pokemon itself has more than a few expies, and it's really noticeable with some of the Gen 5 Pokemon. Timburr, Roggenrola, and Woobat would most likely be lambasted as ripoffs if they were designed as fan-made Pokemon, because they're incredibly similar in both design and mechanics to their Gen 1 counterparts/expies:

quote:

Timburr is similar to Machop; both are Fighting-type Pokémon with a base stat total of 305, have a gender ratio of 75% male and 25% female, are the most commonly associated Pokémon with construction sites in their respective regions, have Guts as a possible ability, and reach their first evolution by level and have their final evolution triggered by trading.
--
Gigalith's evolutionary line shares similarities with Golem's family. Both of them are Rock-type, have Sturdy as one their Abilities, learn Stealth Rock, Smack Down, Explosion, Stone Edge, and Rock Blast by level-up, first evolve at level 25, then reach the final evolutionary stage by trading. Both also have a chance of holding an Everstone in the wild.
--
Woobat's evolutionary line seems to have a connection with Zubat's family. All the members of both lines are Bat Pokémon species (excluding Swoobat), live in caves or other dark places, and have no visible eyes at their respective unevolved states; furthermore, members of both lines reach their respective fully-evolved forms by friendship, and both have similar Shiny forms (with green main bodies). Also, Woobat and Zubat have somewhat similar English names, both having rhyming prefixes and bat as a suffix.

And of course, there's the brown/beige Route 1 Normal-type that evolves at level 20 or so and has good HM compatibility: Raticate, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel, Watchog, Diggersby, Gumshoos.

Linoone has Pickup and a hilarious Belly Drum/Extreme Speed combo though, so it wins.:colbert:

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 2, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saladin Rising posted:

An expy also doesn't have to be a fan character per se, it's just much more common among fan characters. Pokemon itself has more than a few expies, and it's really noticeable with some of Gen 5 Pokemon. Timburr, Roggenrola, and Woobat would most likely be lambasted as ripoffs if they were designed as fan-made Pokemon, because they're incredibly similar in both design and mechanics to their Gen 1 counterparts/expies:

And of course, there's the brown/beige Route 1 Normal-type that evolves at level 20 or so and has good HM compatibility: Raticate, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel, Watchog, Diggersby, Gumshoos.

Linoone has Pickup and a hilarious Belly Drum/Extreme Speed combo though, so it wins.:colbert:

Accelgor is essentially a giant tokusatsu joke, to the point that a Kamen Rider reference used one as a superhero motif in the actual anime.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KataraniSword posted:

Accelgor is essentially a giant tokusatsu joke, to the point that a Kamen Rider reference used one as a superhero motif in the actual anime.

Isn't Bisharp also a big Kamen Rider reference?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Some Numbers posted:

Very possibly. I don't know much Rider so I can't weigh in for certain.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Kikas posted:

Wait, what?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kikas posted:

You've seen Cynthia's team composition. She is not a good girl.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ratoslov posted:

You've seen Cynthia's team composition. She is not a good girl.

No one who uses Gastrodon and Roserade is evil.

Unless I am evil, that's always possible.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pokemon Adventures goes places. Skyla straight out pushed Black (male protagonist for the Black and White stories) off of the cemetery tower.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hunt11 posted:

Pokemon Adventures goes places. Skyla straight out pushed Black (male protagonist for the Black and White stories) off of the cemetery tower.

BW chapter is fun, you forgot to mention that for the duration of the gym battle, Black has to sit in a cannon pointed back at his hometown, because it's not right for someone to make a challenge half-heartedly.

I'll talk about BW when Crosspiece eventually LPs BW

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

BW chapter is fun, you forgot to mention that for the duration of the gym battle, Black has to sit in a cannon pointed back at his hometown, because it's not right for someone to make a challenge half-heartedly.

I'll talk about BW when Crosspiece eventually LPs BW

I had forgotten about that detail.

In general for those who haven't read the manga, this is a scene that happens when Red challenges Giovanni for his badge.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

How did you know I'd cover both Black and White??? Oh wait, it's cause everyone does that. Hopefully when I get to that point, the B2W2 Arc will have finished!

R-Right?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosspeice posted:

How did you know I'd cover both Black and White??? Oh wait, it's cause everyone does that. Hopefully when I get to that point, the B2W2 Arc will have finished!

R-Right?

I'm not sure if you trust way too much in how much the Special duo cares about B2W2, or too little trust in how fast you LP. Regardless, HAHAHAHAHAHAH no, no way in hell. B2W2 is the HxH of Special.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Some Numbers posted:

Not so much Kamen Rider specifically, more of a general reference to tokusatsu villains as a whole.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

As much as I love Adventure/Special I'll never forgive them for having that amazing resolution to Ruby and Sapphire's story (the characters, not the games) and then immediately walking it back with 'lol amnesia'

But that's a personal beef, it's a fun series and significantly better at being what Reborn wants to be.

Actually scratch that, that description is still giving Reborn far too much credit.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

Not so much Kamen Rider specifically, more of a general reference to tokusatsu villains as a whole.

the color scheme is also vaguely kuuga-ish

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

As much as I love Adventure/Special I'll never forgive them for having that amazing resolution to Ruby and Sapphire's story (the characters, not the games) and then immediately walking it back with 'lol amnesia'

But that's a personal beef, it's a fun series and significantly better at being what Reborn wants to be.

Actually scratch that, that description is still giving Reborn far too much credit.

They didn't actually walk it back with LOLAmnesia, Ruby's just pretending because... They don't actually give a reason

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I like Pokemon Adventures because a kid who refuses to evolve any of their pokemon and who has such fantastic pokemon as caterpie and ratatta manages to actually accomplish stuff via creativity and healing powers.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I have been thinking about the bingo card a lot and have found a lot of problems with it. The false imprisonment being a bad square is a valid concern and it adds to the other issues I have been thinking about.

When I made this card I just thought of 25 things which appear commonly in edgy fics and then arranged them in the tiles using a little bit of my diagonal logic. Next time I have a completely different approach.

I need to think of 5 themes which, when combined, would create an edgy fic but which aren't sufficient of themselves to make one.

1. Terrible Aesthetics
2. Bad Fanfic Writing Techniques
3. Heinous Crimes.
4. Reasons why my character is super special.
5. "big issues" that get addressed

Then I think of 5 examples of each of these themes and arrange them strictly using my diagonal logic so that each possible bingo contains one example of each theme.

You're putting far more thought and effort into designing a bingo card than the devs put into designing any aspect of this game...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

They didn't actually walk it back with LOLAmnesia, Ruby's just pretending because... They don't actually give a reason

Ruby's just kind of an rear end in a top hat who can't ever be honest or direct about his feelings. Hell, he's still just as bad in ORAS, he couldn't even keep his character development.

I still like Ruby but he's pretty badly handled at times. ORAS especially, but ORAS in general was kind of a mess of an arc.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Raitzeno posted:

You're putting far more thought and effort into designing a bingo card than the devs put into designing any aspect of this game...

Anybody who didn't put these two together isn't even paying attention to their game at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

:five:

The explosion in the background really makes it.