Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Dick magnet too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zzulu posted:

5 plate dead??

like 3 plates on one side and 2 on the other??

I love max aitas stories of the Bulgarian team doing that so they could pretend they'd done heavier lifts to their coach

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

I do, I alternate the sets of 10 bench with sets of 10+ bb rows and alternate the sets of 10 ohp sets of 10+ pull ups

Two dedicated pull sessions for every push day. Aim for double the volume overall.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

does anyone do log threads anymore or do they just post in this thread

im moving on to the...sigh...next phase of my fitness journey

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
I don't need the approval and validation of internet strangers to do my workout anymore.

What kind of phase did you finish of your fitness journey if you don't mind me asking?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I started a TFLC log for old time's sake. Reading my previous one made me nostalgic for the days when half the posts in a log would be other people discussing things but those days are gone, it's still keeping me honest, at least.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

I don't need the approval and validation of internet strangers to do my workout anymore.

What kind of phase did you finish of your fitness journey if you don't mind me asking?

I’m going to PA school and I’m old and falling apart so I’ve gotta dial things back or change them substantially.

Probably no more heavy snatching or jerking ever again.

Trying to figure out what to do. Maybe try power lifting but only deadlift and back squat.

Also I think I’ll always clean. And probably still do oly accessory work, since I like those movements.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

feelix posted:

TBH your posts don't really make any sense so I don't know how to help you

What's a "Squat Press"? Do you mean leg press? I assume so because if you're lifting 600 lbs in any other way you don't need to be asking us questions

If it is leg press, then you can't compare it to your old high school record because the machines are all different and 600lbs on one machine could be the same resistance as 300lbs on another

There's no such thing as a "sumo grip", a "sumo deadlift" is when your hands are inside your legs, vs. a "conventional deadlift" where your hands are outside your legs. Neither is inherently easier than the other on average, it depends on a person's hip anatomy. Neither has anything to do with grip or grip strength, you can use any grip for either variation

Squat Press is like a leg press but you go a lot deeper, it's kind of like a machine but you load it up with plates rather than putting that peg thing in. There's probably a little bit of variation between the one I used in high school and the one in my gym, but I can't imagine it'd be that much.

As for the sumo grip stuff, I'm using the terminology my friend uses, which is apparently full of holes. The grip I'm talking about is underhand with your dominant hand, overhand with non dominant, and a real wide stance. I guess what I've learned here is that my friend doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about, which is even more helpful to know than actual advice would be lmao

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I think you're talking about a hack squat machine and mixed grip, klapman

FizFashizzle posted:

does anyone do log threads anymore or do they just post in this thread

im moving on to the...sigh...next phase of my fitness journey

There are some strong mfs that are still logging.

Did you gently caress your elbows or shoulders?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

There are some strong mfs that are still logging.

Did you gently caress your elbows or shoulders?

The right elbow just never fully recovered. There are some residual problems into my forearm.

Also PA school is intense. I worked hard to get in so that needs to be my focus.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

klapman posted:

There's probably a little bit of variation between the one I used in high school and the one in my gym, but I can't imagine it'd be that much.

Yeah man metal all weighs the same built the same nothing ever changes- there can be a shitton of variation with zero visible difference so don't worry about what you used to do, just what you're doing now

quote:

As for the sumo grip stuff, I'm using the terminology my friend uses, which is apparently full of holes. The grip I'm talking about is underhand with your dominant hand, overhand with non dominant, and a real wide stance. I guess what I've learned here is that my friend doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about, which is even more helpful to know than actual advice would be lmao

That's a mixed grip (as opposed to double overhand, hook grip, etc.) which is the most common way to pull heavy deadlifts and you're using the sumo stance which as someone explained above is a form of deadlift people choose based on leg/torso/arm length, hip anatomy, etc. Look up conventional vs sumo deadlift and try them both out- see what's best for you

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

FizFashizzle posted:

The right elbow just never fully recovered. There are some residual problems into my forearm.

Also PA school is intense. I worked hard to get in so that needs to be my focus.

That blows but at least you aren't completely out of the game.

And yeah, most people, myself included, aren't logging anymore because real life has become a a higher priority than chasing numbers and telling goons about it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I log every day around 10am, like clockwork

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I still log but only on my personal Google drive so I can track my programming

It's like I'm minmaxing a d&d character only for getting swole

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

Trying to figure out what to do. Maybe try power lifting but only deadlift and back squat.

the starting strength dorks made a variation of the sport they call "strengthlifting" that swaps overhead press for bench if you think that might be easier on your shoulders

plus its overhead which seems like it might appeal to your inner oly lifter

and yes people still log, i dont know what it was like back in the day but i started a log in march or so and have gotten some very helpful, if sparse, feedback + follow some other posters logs and have contributed to their sparse but helpful feedback

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Dum Cumpster posted:

Nah, I looked up hack squats and it's not that. I just got back from the gym, but tomorrow I'll take a picture. The difference between squat and leg press is really minor, but the machines are next to eachother so it'll be easy to show the difference. I think leg press targets the quads more, while squat press aims for the hamstrings.

Omnikin posted:

Yeah man metal all weighs the same built the same nothing ever changes- there can be a shitton of variation with zero visible difference so don't worry about what you used to do, just what you're doing now

That's a mixed grip (as opposed to double overhand, hook grip, etc.) which is the most common way to pull heavy deadlifts and you're using the sumo stance which as someone explained above is a form of deadlift people choose based on leg/torso/arm length, hip anatomy, etc. Look up conventional vs sumo deadlift and try them both out- see what's best for you

Huh, alright. So long as I'm not cheating myself out of the workout and it really is just a preference thing, that might be my solution right there. My gym's not cool with chalk, but I'll ask about the liquid form tomorrow and see what I can do.

e: I'd post something in TFLC but I don't really have particular goals for lifts. We just keep putting more weight on week after week, occasionally switch programs, and get progressively stronger. It's been going really well this way so I don't have any major ambitions tbh. Besides, I'm already getting helpful advice from this thread so it's whatever

klapman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 2, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The other thing is I’m pretty sure my days of PRs are over.

At this point I’m considering my options.

Im kinda at piece with it to be honest. Back squatted 440, deadlifted 515, clean and jerked 300, snatched 245.

I’m nowhere near any of those numbers anymore.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

FizFashizzle posted:

Im kinda at piece with it to be honest. Back squatted 440, deadlifted 515, clean and jerked 300, snatched 245.

welcome to bodybuilding

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Weightlifting: You're Doomed.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Time posted:

welcome to bodybuilding

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Hashtag old man cranking

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I spent today and yesterday carrying sheet metal and loading bricks into a wheelbarrow, pushing the wheelbarrow, and unloading the bricks. It's still 90~ degrees out. I feel having spent time working out helped with this. If you wanna feel the same get a crazy old man to guilt you into helping him move his garbage around to avoid municipal fines.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sassassin posted:

I would high five you but that wouldn't end well for anyone.

The human shoulder joint is some bullshit. Basically, gently caress you Evolution.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Switch to RKC

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ive been thinking of downhill biking

like the really suicidal kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBPFr3RRso

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I mean shredding off chunks of flesh on the asphalt would be a quick way to lose weight.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Man and I thought I was suicidal for wanting to go bicycle dirt jumping

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Groke posted:

The human shoulder joint is some bullshit. Basically, gently caress you Evolution.

I once slept with my arm in a weird position and I had problems for like 2 months doing pressing movements when training. :nallears:

Also, my goals are now just to look good naked (do more of a bodybuilding routine and check my food intake) and be a functional human being(doing something for my cardiovascular health). So far so good. :ok:

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 3, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Doing a bodybuilding routine has made me a lot better at running around the woods in steel armour

If that's a thing that matters to you

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

MikeCrotch posted:

Doing a bodybuilding routine has made me a lot better at running around the woods in steel armour

What lol

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
At a guess that's LARP or some kind of re-enactment thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like to blend those things and run around in the woods naked

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

MikeCrotch posted:

New DBD character unlocked

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like to go to Larping events in order to hurt and injure nerds

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I like to go to Larping events in order to hurt and injure nerds

no no no, the point is to hurt the other people not yourself!!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Seriously though if you want thoroughly blast your legs and back just go paintballing for a day. Its great.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Can't I sit at home and shoot myself with paintballs? I'd rather not go outside.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitGames/videos/2018-games-individual-crit/2142452939129886/

You could look like these idiots on a bike. Getting a bunch of hulking dudes on bikes in close proximity for what looks like the first time in their lives is very comical. Its like demolition derby but really slow.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Good Dog posted:

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitGames/videos/2018-games-individual-crit/2142452939129886/

You could look like these idiots on a bike. Getting a bunch of hulking dudes on bikes in close proximity for what looks like the first time in their lives is very comical. Its like demolition derby but really slow.

Yeah my friend Emily got a pretty bad road rash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2gwFkCU1Q4&t=60s