Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Laplace program was meant to be a tour of all the atrocities committed in the universal century. Torrington was built around the ruins of Sydney as a training facility for Mobile suit pilots, hence why it was chosen for the coordinates.

Oh I remember the purpose of why they went to Torrington; I'd just completely blanked on it being related to the colony drop. Looking through episode 10 now quickly on Youtube I don't even see a wide shot of the Australian landmass to show what the colony did or it's remains. Was there just none included? That seems like a missed opportunity. I also watched the scene of all the Zeon remnants getting the coded message and I'm just wondering why all these remnants who've been living in hiding for years are all still wearing their Zeon uniforms on what is supposed to be a regular day until they get that message. And all the uniforms appear to be in great condition despite how long it's been since the war. That's some loving dedication. And stupidity, since surely any passing civilian not affiliated would see them and go "Hmm...this might be worth saying something to someone about". I suppose since they all seem to know about the attack at Dakar they might have figured something was going to happen and started kitting out in preparation, but it just seems kind of silly that they weren't just wearing casual clothes and shown digging out some old uniforms or something.

PS1 Hagrid posted:

Michael Cera as Amuro

This one kind of mystifies me, at least nowadays. I can understand why it'd have been the joke suggestion a decade ago since he was just old enough to be no longer suitable but still looked a bit like Amuro and was popular in Hollywood. He hasn't been relevant in nearly a decade at this point though so I can't understand why people keep using him. There's surely people reading it on some forums or platforms it's posted around to that don't even know who he is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nick Offerman as Ral, not even joking.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Brian Blessed as Degwin. Not kidding either. I know Blessed is most famous for his boisterous roles, but I really want to see him given one big quieter and more nuanced role; a role where he gets to emote with some degree of subtly and come across as human instead of a giant ham all the time. He has the charisma to steal the scene when put in there even when he's more sober and give off the pain and regret Degwin is left with following Garma's death.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But who will be played by Nicholas Cage?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
M'Quve. He's got some weird mannerisms and looks kind of strange already.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My hair is a bird nic cage looks like mquve anyhow.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

But who will be played by Nicholas Cage?

The Gundam itself.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Tom Holland for Amuro. He's got range and is seemingly a solid actor. Plus he's got that sorta unimposing physique that I've always taken younger amuro to have.

The Rock for Dozle. He'd be entertaining hamming it up.

Daniel Craig CG'd back to a 20 year old for Char.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 3, 2018

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Cast Peter Dinklage as Hayato

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tsob posted:

I also watched the scene of all the Zeon remnants getting the coded message and I'm just wondering why all these remnants who've been living in hiding for years are all still wearing their Zeon uniforms on what is supposed to be a regular day until they get that message. And all the uniforms appear to be in great condition despite how long it's been since the war. That's some loving dedication. And stupidity, since surely any passing civilian not affiliated would see them and go "Hmm...this might be worth saying something to someone about".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

And those Zekes were only there for like four years!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Does Win Moresaki speak English? He deserves a better movie than RPO, and he looks youngish enough to still play Amuro by Hollywood rules. (Toby Maguire was 27 in Spider-Man, ya know.)

Also one or both of Dylan and Cole Sprouse for Kai.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
A Fanning sister for Sayla.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mickey Rourke for Dozle, Christopher Eccleston for Gihren, Patrick Stewart for Degwin, Lena Headey for Kycilia, Tom Holland for Garma

@ me, cowards

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Mickey Rourke for Dozle, Christopher Eccleston for Gihren, Patrick Stewart for Degwin, Lena Headey for Kycilia, Tom Holland for Garma

@ me, cowards

Jonny Depp for Gihren, because Eccleston might make him sympathetic, and that's no Gihren I want to watch.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Vincent D'Onofrio for Dozle!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

Jonny Depp for Gihren, because Eccleston might make him sympathetic, and that's no Gihren I want to watch.

Hes not exactly sympathetic in 28 days later.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Keep going with these suggestions, I want Amuro to eventually be played by a 60 year old.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I sorta don't expect a UC adaptation and more a Cosmic Era-esque really similar continuity. Almost the same amount of time will have passed between Seed and this movie as did 0079 and Seed anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what would a continuation of iron-blooded orphans even be anyway

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-08-02/gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-continuation-teased/.135000

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1024911875950051329

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The first thing I see in the replies:

https://twitter.com/erdechase/status/1024919586225848320

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Presumably related to why there are mobile armours buried around the place waiting to spring out and attack people. The gundams in IBO are pretty spooky.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd like to know more about how Julietta and Gaelio are doing and the challenges they face in the new status quo, and I feel that works given where the Tekkedan survivors are and the fact the S1/2 protagonists are gone. Although that does look like a possible Barbatos update, don't know who would take ownership of the wreckage there. Jules?

With the implied existence of 60+ more Gundam frames and the MAs they can certainly create a new threat or faction that can challenge the establishment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think IBO really needs a continuation, though the setting seems rich enough that you could fit a lot of stories that aren't direct sequels into it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

JBP posted:

Presumably related to why there are mobile armours buried around the place waiting to spring out and attack people. The gundams in IBO are pretty spooky.

They don't seem particularly spooky to me. The mobile armors? Sure; they're AI driven machines with no active controller beyond themselves, no apparent goal beyond the extermination of humans, capable of infinitely reproducing smaller spawn and could be hidden anywhere. That poo poo's spooky. I don't know why you'd consider the Gundams spooky though. I'm not sure I'd consider any mobile suits spooky. The Devil Gundam I suppose, but (a) that's kind of a mobile armor as much as a suit and really capable of shifting form as it likes as well as (b) sharing many of the same traits as the mobile armors from IBO in the first place. The Turn-X is kind of spooky I guess given it's ability to separate in to 9 parts (10, if you count the backpack) and vague history as a mobile suit made outside the solar system for unknown reasons by an unknown group (we know who it probably was, but not definitely) as well as it's ability to poo poo out a cloud that could destroy all civilization if the pilot is in a bad mood. It's age and the fact it was hidden for so long and could stay in storage indefinitely helps too. Plus, it just looks a bit alien. Most others, like the Psyco Gundams are just kind of sinister looking rather than actually spooky.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the interface system that physically disables you for using it probably

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't think IBO really needs a continuation, though the setting seems rich enough that you could fit a lot of stories that aren't direct sequels into it.

Yeah, same.

Last time this came up someone suggested the idea of a prequel set during the Calamity War and following Agnika and the other orphans, and that's the best thing they could possibly do to make "more IBO."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'd like to know more about how Julietta and Gaelio are doing and the challenges they face in the new status quo, and I feel that works given where the Tekkedan survivors are and the fact the S1/2 protagonists are gone. Although that does look like a possible Barbatos update, don't know who would take ownership of the wreckage there. Jules?

With the implied existence of 60+ more Gundam frames and the MAs they can certainly create a new threat or faction that can challenge the establishment.

That is the loadout Julietta used during her final battle with Mika, so it’s not totally implausible that she’s flying the Barbatos out of respect. That horn on the forehead is reminiscent of the Kimaris, too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'd like to know more about how Julietta and Gaelio are doing and the challenges they face in the new status quo,

This seems like it would be super interesting to watch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

the interface system that physically disables you for using it probably

That's less the Gundam and more just lovely tech though. McGillis didn't face any such penalty because he had a better researched version. I do see where it's coming from now though at least; though I can't say as I'd agree since it's something you have to deliberately try to achieve. It's not something you could do by accident really.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only things that use that tech in that universe are the gundams so the distinction is pointless

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mobile workers use it too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

As did the Graze Ein

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought the graze ein was a gundam tbh but I did forget the mobile workers entirely so fair enough

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Graze Ein was just a throwaway test bed for connecting to Bael, you weren't far off

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There are a number of mobile suits that use Alaya-Vijnana connectors, like the Man Rodi. The Gundams are the only ones with the MA-killing overdrive, though.

Grim thought - what if Julietta is piloting the Barbatos, but it has an Alaya-Vijnana Type-E system built around what's left of Mika? That would certainly fit with the way the new design visually references the Unicorn.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really peg Julia as being willing to use something like the Type-E system. It's kind of a horrible abomination of a system that basically hijacks the final remains of a dead person to use them for combat and Gaelio using Ein was already pretty dark. A huge part of Julia's character arc was considering and then rejecting the idea of becoming a monster in order to better fight monsters.

(Spoiled in case people are still watching IBO)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't really peg Julia as being willing to use something like the Type-E system. It's kind of a horrible abomination of a system that basically hijacks the final remains of a dead person to use them for combat and Gaelio using Ein was already pretty dark. A huge part of Julia's character arc was considering and then rejecting the idea of becoming a monster in order to better fight monsters.

Hey, nobody ever said she’d be happy about piloting it, and that creepy engineer from Season 2 is still in play. I can see it getting installed in the Barbatos, her being given the Barbatos, and her refusing to use it until extreme circumstances like, say, some idiot automating a Dainsleif battalion.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, nobody ever said she’d be happy about piloting it, and that creepy engineer from Season 2 is still in play.

Oh yeah, seemed like they were going to do something with her and just didn't. Would be interested to see if they had something for her all along.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

That's less the Gundam and more just lovely tech though. McGillis didn't face any such penalty because he had a better researched version. I do see where it's coming from now though at least; though I can't say as I'd agree since it's something you have to deliberately try to achieve. It's not something you could do by accident really.

McGillis never went all-out with the Bael Gundam, he just used the normal A-V link. What fried Mikazuki's brain was using the "kill the Mobile Armors" mode. What actually made McGillis' version special was that it could be grafted to an adult subject, when A-V surgery normally required a juvenile so the interface could grow into their developing spine. If it didn't leave them horribly crippled, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought the graze ein was a gundam tbh but I did forget the mobile workers entirely so fair enough

You can tell it's not a gundam because it doesn't have gundam in its name.