Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
It's the third result when I google both "android fast browser" and "android ad blocking browser" so it's probably just idiots installing it. I have a huawei and it came with chrome. Phone cleaner poo poo is probably morons searching "make phone run faster" or "phone is too slow" it's the same tier of idiots as your average computer user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i only touched anroid to help people not good with computers so i don’t think they installed it. it always comes with other crap like app killers and other phone “cleaner” apps. also many many notifications, widgets, and floating windows (why the gently caress does anroid have floating windows)

it’s probably huwawei but i can’t tell an anroid from another (theyre all poo poo)
the way to help people not good at computers is to buy them a useable device such as the apple iphone stebe edition

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i love the notification area because its perfect for seeing exactly what you want at a glance and taking care of it. this assumes that you are the kind of person who makes sure you only get notifications you want and doesnt just accept the default for every app which ofc no one is

just like i cant imagine the kind of person who gets hundreds of junk emails every day because they gave it to everyone indiscriminately for decades and now its completely unmanageable i cant imagine how someone lives with apps yelling at them constantly about nothing but everyone in the world does somehow and building a system without that as a forefront concern is a mistake

i have no idea what the correct solution is (doesnt ios just bury the notifications somewhere and train the user to never go there?) but i can say that no one has come up with it afaict

i guess if the lock screen is "buried" then sure, ios buries notifications

edit: admittedly, i have my notifications pared down to only important stuff, so i imagine people who let every app poo poo stuff into the notification shade probably never actually see anything important

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i guess if the lock screen is "buried" then sure, ios buries notifications

edit: admittedly, i have my notifications pared down to only important stuff, so i imagine people who let every app poo poo stuff into the notification shade probably never actually see anything important

the closest i have to experience is watching my wife occasionally clear dozens of ignored notifications. on my mac the notifications are p. bad where either you set them to remain forever or they disappear into the ether never to be seen again tho its not like im drowning in notifications there either

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

jesus WEP posted:

the way to help people not good at computers is to buy them a useable device such as the apple iphone stebe edition

all the important people in my life are running ios

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

all the important people in my life are running ios
:same: only shithead penny stock uncles have androids in our family

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

logikv9 posted:

my 2XL is slow as poo poo and I had to add the task manager "kill all apps" shortcut to my homescreen because it honestly fixes the problem temporarily

highly disappointed since I got it with the expectation that it would stay fast. that said lol at ever buying a oneplus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i too expect things that have no chance of happening.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

that said lol at ever buying a oneplus

MY android is a POS, but at least it's not as big a POS as YOUR android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

what loving voodoo magicks does this person think is causing their phone to run slow after six months and presumably no updates?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in what way is the solution "task kill all apps" rather than, say, disabling apps that you don't want to run in the background?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

in what way is the solution "task kill all apps" rather than, say, disabling apps that you don't want to run in the background?
iirc android vendors can hardcode apps as system apps, which can't be disabled

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
System apps can generally be disabled but not uninstalled, but sometimes they also can't be disabled because google

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what loving voodoo magicks does this person think is causing their phone to run slow after six months and presumably no updates?

nah it's a pixel, so it actually gets frequent updates. this is the "good" android phone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anroid has always been slow as hammered dogshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

flip? those are gonna shatter right quick

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
do they have a special mode that they use when they flip?

because that would be the greatest

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a 5g add-on for those stupid rear end modular phones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a picture of the add-on mounting to the back of the phone, it's not a flip phone

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
That little tumor at the top left is the antenna and I think I read somewhere that all 5g phones are going to have it to start.

E: maybe the whole time due to the frequencies it operates on?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

elmer chud posted:

That little tumor at the top left is the antenna

you're molding it wrong

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some nerds are obsessed with how swiping away an android app doesn't have the same functional effect as quitting an app on a desktop os. for some reason this idea of "task killer" apps for android caught on, where you download a tweak app that claims to be better than the os's built in task manager. it's all snake oil crap exactly like the scammy windows apps you find on download portals that claim to "clean" your computer and make it 23x faster than ever

the real problem is that the kind of person who goes for task killer apps is 99.999% also the kind of person who has dozens of other poo poo apps on their phone, most of them poorly coded, spyware ad-filled monstrosities, or both. this is why their phone is slow, but instead of uninstalling the garbage they just layer more on top of it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some nerds are obsessed with how swiping away an android app doesn't have the same functional effect as quitting an app on a desktop os. for some reason this idea of "task killer" apps for android caught on, where you download a tweak app that claims to be better than the os's built in task manager. it's all snake oil crap exactly like the scammy windows apps you find on download portals that claim to "clean" your computer and make it 23x faster than ever

the real problem is that the kind of person who goes for task killer apps is 99.999% also the kind of person who has dozens of other poo poo apps on their phone, most of them poorly coded, spyware ad-filled monstrosities, or both. this is why their phone is slow, but instead of uninstalling the garbage they just layer more on top of it

When I worked in college IT I'd constantly have comp Sci majors complaining some school app broke their computer, so I'd look and there's always be a million things in the system tray. Those conversations usually led to them storming off in a huff that I couldn't solve their imaginary problem.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah im glad the only ricer tweak crap i was into at that age was dinking around with those desktop compositors for linux that had really gaudy and unnecessary effects. id get the cube workspace switcher goin and a nice lil wobble-fade on incoming dropdowns and smoke puffs when you closed a window, you know, just the basics. but i only did it to razz my roommate "heh can you do this on you mac? pc supremacy" and then when he left I'd turn it all back off because it was dumb as poo poo lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jit bull transpile posted:

When I worked in college IT I'd constantly have comp Sci majors complaining some school app broke their computer, so I'd look and there's always be a million things in the system tray. Those conversations usually led to them storming off in a huff that I couldn't solve their imaginary problem.

how many of them (laptops*) could be charitably described as "portly"

* also people

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Lutha Mahtin posted:

for some reason this idea of "task killer" apps for android caught on

Some manufacturers include this by default, it's part of the phone manager app along with a virus scanner on Huawei phones. I think my Asus tablet had one, too, but I don't remember. It seems like they actually where necessary in early iterations of Android, back when custom roms were better or even needed to make the phone useful.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah im glad the only ricer tweak crap i was into at that age was dinking around with those desktop compositors for linux that had really gaudy and unnecessary effects. id get the cube workspace switcher goin and a nice lil wobble-fade on incoming dropdowns and smoke puffs when you closed a window, you know, just the basics. but i only did it to razz my roommate "heh can you do this on you mac? pc supremacy" and then when he left I'd turn it all back off because it was dumb as poo poo lol

RIP compiz

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
anroid tablets? lol!

https://twitter.com/charlesarthur/status/1025137564255117312

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
Yeah Google clearly doesn't care about the tablet space and their most recent foray into that market was with chromeos. They are useless.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

how many of them (laptops*) could be charitably described as "portly"

* also people

Nah, mostly skinny arrogant dweebs tbh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nah, mostly skinny arrogant dweebs tbh

i'm surprised. i could usually count on seeing at least a few asus rog monstrosities in the seats nearest the wall outlet in my cs classes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

im glad i went to school before students began bringing their drat computers into class. why yes i have many fine class notebooks filled with pencil and ink transcriptions of code

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im glad i went to school before students began bringing their drat computers into class. why yes i have many fine class notebooks filled with pencil and ink transcriptions of code

so like pre 2001-2?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

In one of my classes there were two blind students and the one guy who always brought Thai obnoxious jet engine sounding Alienware laptop would constantly whine about how the clicking of their braille note-taking thingies was annoying. Nobody liked that guy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

In one of my classes there were two blind students and the one guy who always brought the obnoxious jet engine sounding Alienware laptop would constantly whine about how the clicking of their braille note-taking thingies was annoying. Nobody liked that guy.

holy poo poo gently caress that fuckin guy. i worked in my college's accessibility office doing test proctoring. my one fellow student was blind and had this kickin rad mini computer thing. it had a refreshable braille display and a crazy court-reporter type keyboard. i would read out their like math test and their hands would fly across the keyboard transcribing all the formatting and stuff. it was amazing. what a tiny bitch to complain about the person working 3x as hard as his nerd rear end

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

In one of my classes there were two blind students and the one guy who always brought Thai obnoxious jet engine sounding Alienware laptop would constantly whine about how the clicking of their braille note-taking thingies was annoying. Nobody liked that guy.

100% accurate for alienware user per all previous experiences

frankly the only time i encountered a person with a gamer laptop that made 'sense' per se was a game dev working on a masters that just liked a portable workstation

Lutha Mahtin posted:

holy poo poo gently caress that fuckin guy. i worked in my college's accessibility office doing test proctoring. my one fellow student was blind and had this kickin rad mini computer thing. it had a refreshable braille display and a crazy court-reporter type keyboard. i would read out their like math test and their hands would fly across the keyboard transcribing all the formatting and stuff. it was amazing. what a tiny bitch to complain about the person working 3x as hard as his nerd rear end

thats super cool and the assistive technology that exists is extremely neat to see in use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

so like pre 2001-2?

i graduated in 2004 and laptops were still uncommon. granted, i was in materials science, not cs, so we were drawing lots of diagrams and poo poo, not writing code, so a laptop wouldn't have been as useful.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

e: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Agile Vector posted:

frankly the only time i encountered a person with a gamer laptop that made 'sense' per se was a game dev working on a masters that just liked a portable workstation

neither dell nor lenobo will sell let you have 32GB of RAM without spending a million billion dollars so I'm tempted by a gaming laptop even though it's gonna be poo poo