Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
smacfm
May 7, 2018

avshalemon posted:

i love gulgong lol

I guess it's not super surprising to find 2 other Mudgee/Gulgong people reading a politics thread on this dead comedy forum, being such a hotbed location for political activism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
further evidence that NSW is poo poo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

further evidence that NSW is poo poo

Dear NSW

We don't need any more evidence; we're THOROUGHLY convinced.

Please just take a nap for a while.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
NSW worst state, Queensland Strong

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Don Dongington posted:

Dear NSW

We don't need any more evidence; we're THOROUGHLY convinced.

Please just take a nap for a while.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/nsw-police-post-women-safety/

quote:

The NSW Police Force, known for their usually witty social media antics, has sparked backlash after posting their version of Beyoncé’s ‘Single Ladies’ to their Facebook page in which it instructs women on how to stay safe on, presumably, Tinder dates.

All the single ladies,
(All the single ladies),
Now put your hands up,

Up on your phone, surfing apps alone,
Doing your own little thing,
You’ve decided to swipe, have a super like,
Now someone’s asking to meet,
Keep yourself safe (safe),
Tell a friend your meeting place (place),
‘Cause it’s only worth it if you’re okay,
You can't be playing with safety

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The Emma Husar story from yesterday is no longer on Buzzfeed, unless I’m blind?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Or at least no longer on the homepage

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

The Emma Husar story from yesterday is no longer on Buzzfeed, unless I’m blind?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/labor-mp-emma-husar-accused-of-sexual-harassment-and?utm_term=.cwNbAqA03#.leYp2q2jr

You just can't see it because you were sitting next to her.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Recoome posted:

Guess we aren’t talking about Andrew “too many Jews in Caufield” Bolt?

Kinda surprised to see that in there, given he is usually accusing other people of being anti-Semitic.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

This really reads like a newspaper article copied into a history book to show people how xenophobic and backward people were in the lead up to WW2 or whatever and how public sentiment was turned against whatever minority group.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Ban migration from the Netherlands. You would think a country with a union Jack in the flag would have learnt this lesson by now.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Australia has an identity (other than being awful and racist) to lose?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

:discourse:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Australian Identity: Drinking Guinness and ordering a Large Kebab at 1am only to vomit it up on a taxi 20 minutes later. Wake up next morning. Call a sickie, order some noodles off Uber Eats, get drunk again and vomit it all over the floor. Too lazy to clean up your own vomit, whistle your dog over to eat your vomit and then spend the rest of the day on Tinder.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I bet he speaks Italian at home.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

smacfm posted:

I guess it's not super surprising to find 2 other Mudgee/Gulgong people reading a politics thread on this dead comedy forum, being such a hotbed location for political activism.

Mate, sink a few under the big tree at the Globe in rylstone then shoot over the road for some pub cha

Edit: are the mouse races still a thing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

The Australian Identity: Drinking Guinness and ordering a Large Kebab at 1am only to vomit it up on a taxi 20 minutes later. Wake up next morning. Call a sickie, order some noodles off Uber Eats, get drunk again and vomit it all over the floor. Too lazy to clean up your own vomit, whistle your dog over to eat your vomit and then spend the rest of the day on Tinder.

As long as while you're doing all that, you're a white guy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aesculus posted:

Australia has an identity (other than being awful and racist) to lose?

Cultural cringe is pretty Australian.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

please don't post my weekend routine

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Old white dude uses 'colonists' as a scare word and suggests Aboriginal and Torres Strait nations aren't real in the same article

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Once you figure out that 90% of conservatism is projection, everything starts to make more sense.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

If assimilation is a concern we could accept these people so desperate to come here they'll board leaky boa- Andrew come back. Andy mate

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
lol, it reads like he added some “non-controversial” minorities to pre-defend against accusations of racism but just comes off as anti-Semitic and anti-Italian on top of all the other antis.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
People getting defensive about being racists is Australian identity as it's a direct continuation of the tall poppy syndrome. Being against racism is a tall poppy.

smacfm
May 7, 2018

aejix posted:

Mate, sink a few under the big tree at the Globe in rylstone then shoot over the road for some pub cha

Edit: are the mouse races still a thing

Nah they stopped doing them a couple years back I think. Too much hurly burly and excitement! Everyone would much rather get smashed at a winery before settling in for some down home racism in the front bar at the woolpack. Ahh memories.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kinda surprised to see that in there, given he is usually accusing other people of being anti-Semitic.

He had a meltdown on his blog about it:

quote:

On Meade then goes, quoting a Labor MP who disgracefully suggests I am whipping up anti-Semitism - a foul and ignorant smear, given almost every literate Jew in Victoria would know that no mainstream journalist has defended their community more strongly, and few have done as many fundraisers:

The president of the Jewish Community Council of Victoria, Jennifer Huppert, said articles such as Bolt’s do nothing for the cohesion of Australian society.

“There is a rise in ultra-rightwing activity in Victoria and this type of activity can fuel antisemitic, anti-Islamic and general racist debate and language in our community.”

I expect an apology from Huppert for this cheap smear. Not a word in my article disparaged Jews.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/describing-the-lefts-dream-is-not-racist/news-story/5671e39966a71ef1c07af5bd3d2159f6

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I just cropdusted Tom Tilley

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Wait it was the rapist guy, the other tom

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Had here we go with the fascist left shutting down the speech they don't like. I didn't agree with all that Bolt wrote but I do respect his right to raise those issues to be debated. That is the lifeblood of a healthy society. Integration is an issue and should be able to be put into the market place of ideas to see what stands up and what gets shredded. Shutting this stuff down doesn't make it go away. It just goes underground and you end up with Pauline Hanson.

There is a line with racism, but I didn't think this article was anywhere near it. Bolt is respectful of other cultures and values their contribution to Australia but is critical of the lack of integration recently and thinks its an issue. I think he went overboard with his statements but again that's for the ideas-sphere to argue about.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Big Willy Style posted:

Wait it was the rapist guy, the other tom

Not all Toms.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Andrew Bolt had a meltdown about Finding Nemo back in the day:

https://www.danielbowen.com/images/2004/0607-nemo.txt

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Woman racially abuses staff at Bribie Island Chinese restaurant

A WOMAN has been filmed racially abusing staff at an Asian restaurant north of Brisbane before trying to flee with someone’s dinner.

Staff at Bribie Island’s Sun Lai Chinese Restaurant were told “this is our country” by a woman on Wednesday night.

In a video posted to Facebook by Darren Mutze the woman argues with staff over payment.

“I haven’t f*****g eaten for a month … and you turn around and do this. Over a fried f*****g rice man,” she shouted.

“This is our country … I just want my food.”

The woman then walks around a counter and grabs a bag of food.

Staff can be heard yelling as they take it back.

The video has been viewed 53,000 times with people condemning the woman’s actions.

“Poor staff having to put up with that,” Janet Bernhardt said

Angel Riesenweber said she felt sorry for employees.

“The poor little Asian women makes my heart hurt,” she said.

Mr Mutze posted the video to a Bribie Island community page after asking the woman to leave the eatery.

“Anyone recognise this female that I just stopped from stealing food from the Sun Lai Chinese on Bribie?” he wrote.

“Full on racially abused the staff then tried to run off with someone else’s food.”

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

poor little Asian women

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
almost every literate Jew in Victoria would know that no mainstream journalist has defended their community more strongly

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
lol

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm going to show bolt my appreciation for his hard work, hold my beer

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

bandaid.friend posted:

Old white dude uses 'colonists' as a scare word and suggests Aboriginal and Torres Strait nations aren't real in the same article

Sounds like he's just watched :siren: Black Panther :siren: and tried to twist the coloniser insult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

this broken hill posted:

almost every literate Jew in Victoria would know that no mainstream journalist has defended their community more strongly
I'm assuming his idea of "defending the Jewish community" is being anti-Palestine and anti-Muslim.

• Locked thread