Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know what to tell you, I got the map for Greenpath, and then right in the corner there was a big room I hadn't gone to with some big markings, and I thought "that's probably the boss room" and then it was. There was a neat fakeout moment when I ran into the Hunter and I just noped out of there the first time I met him and he growled at me, but it's all good.

The only real question I have right now is whether there's ever a good time to go back and kill some of those big club-wielding bugs in Crossroads. I need to get their entry in the book, but they are TOUGH. Barely any openings.

Particularly for things with lots of HP: your damage will explode before long. You can just do them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah, you never lose access to any enemy type for the journal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

I'm slowly making my way through my first Steel Soul playthrough and trying to be really safe. Can you get to the Crystal Heart without Desolate Dive? I know I can get into Crystal Peak with the Lantern (I already went through it to get to the Resting Grounds) but I can't remember if at some point higher up I'm going to need to break through the floor.

I got it before Desolate Dive, so no. I want to say I only had the dash when I got it. Maybe the Mantis Claw.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’m pretty sure you need mantis claw. there’s all those conveyor belt things

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

After a bit of guidance. I've beat hornet a second time and gotten the brand, but I don't know where to go from here. I've crawled all over the city and waterways looking for the gate that's mentioned and can't find it.

I was under the impression from earlier posts that being hornet would give the second Cloak upgrade?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You need to go deeper

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

tithin posted:

After a bit of guidance. I've beat hornet a second time and gotten the brand, but I don't know where to go from here. I've crawled all over the city and waterways looking for the gate that's mentioned and can't find it.

I was under the impression from earlier posts that being hornet would give the second Cloak upgrade?

You're looking for something in the Ancient Basin (where you fought the Lost Vessel for the double-jump upgrade).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cheers

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fighting Hornet 2 right now. This is tricky.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Only kill the Mines that are in your path. If there's 4 up and they're not in your way ignore them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Be sure you’re popping the little spikes she sets up around the arena.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just remember to watch out for BADINA

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I was just doing that fight on a new file and on all the attempts after the first it started the kingdom’s edge music instead of hers and I blame that for me loving up so much. I even restarted the whole game (software, not my file) and it kept doing it. I won eventually, but with no hornet theme.. did i really win

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I'm experiencing severe paralysis in my Steel Soul mode run just before fighting Hollow Knight. I've got everything I possibly need for the fight, it's just so hard to convince myself to do it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm experiencing severe paralysis in my Steel Soul mode run just before fighting Hollow Knight. I've got everything I possibly need for the fight, it's just so hard to convince myself to do it.

he’s pretty easy compared to some of the other bosses you’ve got this.

NOW FACETANK HIM :evilbuddy:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I've wound up in a place where I'm tired for the day and I'm not good enough to keep progressing, so I'll ask the thread which I should go for first: The mantis queens, Soul Master, or this weird spikeworm I found when poking around the crossroads.

I'd also sure like to know how to get past this wall of black in the Fog zone to get to the mapbug.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I've wound up in a place where I'm tired for the day and I'm not good enough to keep progressing, so I'll ask the thread which I should go for first: The mantis queens, Soul Master, or this weird spikeworm I found when poking around the crossroads.

I'd also sure like to know how to get past this wall of black in the Fog zone to get to the mapbug.

Personally I would recommend Soul Master; He has a skill that is able to open up certain paths.

Also, the skill to get past black wall barriers is a bit ways off still. Honestly, do not worry about it too much, he will still be there once you get it. I would give the areas you can explore in the Fog Canyon a good once over though, there is a spell available that, while not required, is easy to miss. Heck, I missed it first time through too.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have a friend asking what makes this worth picking up over any other metroidvania game. Can one of you people who is further than 2 hours help me put it into good words?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I have a friend asking what makes this worth picking up over any other metroidvania game. Can one of you people who is further than 2 hours help me put it into good words?

"It's the Dark Souls of Metroidvanias."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"Hollow Knight creates a beautiful, massive, and successfully atmospheric world, while promoting advancement in-game through personal growth rather than collecting power-ups"

Those are the points I'd hit anyway, probably not that verbatim.

E: alternatively, it's the only true sequel to nes DuckTales

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 3, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's big, it's open, it's well designed, it's challenging

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's the first Metroidvania that I've played that truly feels non-linear right out of the box, without needing to have an intimate knowledge of the game play mechanics (looking at you Super Metroid). Also it looks and sounds pretty and is $15, just downsize your morning coffee for a week or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RC Cola posted:

it has great boss fights

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It costs like 15 bucks, which is a goddamn steal.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I just found out this was made primarily by only four people.

That’s astonishing.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
It also has amazing music.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pretty much done with this game but what a journey. The only really disappointing thing is that I really want to fight NKG again but don't really want to go through most of the game again to do it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gods and glory is dropping at the end of the month and seems to be some form of boss rush so the opportunity may present itself

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RC Cola posted:

To paraphrase from someone else that played the game recently, this is the hypothetical sequel to Symphony of the Night that you had in you head after playing it when you were a kid, Monkey's Pawed into existence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
To quote videogamedunkey, Hollow Knight "raised the bar for metroidvanias to infinity...you've gotta feel bad for any one trying to follow this poo poo up. Good luck. Just, good luck." He says this explicitly with reference to Chasm, Eagle Island, Blasphemous, Timespinner...and, oh yes, Bloodstained and any future metroid games.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I beat the Hollow Knight with 90% completion got sealed in the cocoon. I've seen mention of other endings, but am not sure what direction to proceed. The only things I can think of doing are getting the remaining grubs, the trial of the fool, collecting the 3rd round of flames for the grimm troupe and getting more dream essence by killing dream version bosses. Is there something else I should do or which of these should I be doing to progress?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For other endings, dream essence is the way to go. I'll say no more.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also this isn't ending related but definitely get the rest of the flames for the Troupe.

Finish the dance. :getin:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

The Hebug posted:

I beat the Hollow Knight with 90% completion got sealed in the cocoon. I've seen mention of other endings, but am not sure what direction to proceed. The only things I can think of doing are getting the remaining grubs, the trial of the fool, collecting the 3rd round of flames for the grimm troupe and getting more dream essence by killing dream version bosses. Is there something else I should do or which of these should I be doing to progress?

Hi have you met my lovely friend with totally reasonable requests The Gray Mourner

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Discendo Vox posted:

To quote videogamedunkey, Hollow Knight "raised the bar for metroidvanias to infinity...you've gotta feel bad for any one trying to follow this poo poo up. Good luck. Just, good luck." He says this explicitly with reference to Chasm, Eagle Island, Blasphemous, Timespinner...and, oh yes, Bloodstained and any future metroid games.

Yeah, I played like half an hour of Chasm and Hollow Knight just ruined it for me. It just can't compare to the feeling of exploration and the flow of the combat feels like an SNES game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bought hollow knight again for the switch, because i have a porblem

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the other thing is each of the environments is just packed to the gills with memorable charm that anything else just fails to hold up. like most games have one or two areas that are forgettable but every single area just grips you in its own way. hopefully this isn’t lightning in a bottle and the team manages to keep up the good work but they’ve seriously set a high bar for themselves.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, you try finishing off an area, and more places to explore just keep opening up. It's amazing.

I swear, this game may be more Dark Souls than Dark Souls. The feeling of tragedy for Hallownest, along with the feeling of dread, it's so powerful. I was dreading it so much it stung when I was approaching the crystal heart, and when I got it...that's one hell of an ability. I'm afraid for when I go back to that area and have to check on Myla again though.

The only aesthetic of Dark Souls it's really missing is the wonderfully incomplete lore, which kinda intensifies the other feelings.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This game is very depressing when you get to certain areas and etc and it's like nooo I don't wanna kill the cute bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Haven't played dark souls, but while you do get a strong picture of the relevant story, it's far from a complete one, never touches on the larger world, and you're almost completely unaware of it until the game is over, I think HK executes pretty well on the atmosphere-enhanced-by-a-sense-of-mysteriousness front

Is it weird that I never felt bad for Hollownest? It pretty clearly wasn't the greatest place, and it's fall from grace came off as more poetic than tragic.

Shindragon posted:

This game is very depressing when you get to certain areas and etc and it's like nooo I don't wanna kill the cute bugs.

That's not hollow enough. You'll never contain the infection like that.