Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Honestly, even with his tendency to throw picks, if they can clean up his fumbling, he'll be really good. Half of his turnovers last year were fumbles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Honestly I know we all made fun of him but it would not at all surprise me to see him be good. Rosen and Baker as well.

Josh Allen is the trash one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

god bless Brett Favre 3.0

(2.0 was Bort, although he is more like New Coke than a full 2.0)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DC Murderverse posted:

god bless Brett Favre 3.0

(2.0 was Bort, although he is more like New Coke than a full 2.0)
Bort's not done yet :colbert:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

quote:

My favorite fact in all this is that the NFL is stepping on their dick yet again in a completely preventable way. Just don't have that song in Madden. Bing Bong so simple
It's honestly the dumbest loving thing ever. I mean, how many songs out there even mention CK? It's like they picked the one song in existence to censor in the most ridiculous way so that they'd look as stupid as petty as possible.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I hope someone at EA picked that song on purpose

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1025125066059730944

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
They censor poo poo regularly in Madden, last year the censored the word color from the line “just because of our color" in TEMPTATION. I think it’s more likely EA did it to avoid issue with he NFL but who knows.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there actually going to be a game tonight or are they going to discover that they used poison ivy instead of grass to seed the field or something

Thank you for reminding me of this. This is one of the greatest things to ever happen in the history of football.

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/hall-fame-game-gets-cancelled/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Coolwhoami posted:

They censor poo poo regularly in Madden, last year the censored the word color from the line “just because of our color" in TEMPTATION. I think it’s more likely EA did it to avoid issue with he NFL but who knows.

Yea, it's dumb but not new. Didn't the last NBA game censor Lil Uzi Vert's name because of Uzi?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bigass Moth posted:

Remember the Browns tried to trade for AJ McCarron last year.

A True Hero sabotaged that trade yet still gets poo poo on by Browns fans.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

warcrimes posted:

A True Hero sabotaged that trade yet still gets poo poo on by Browns fans.

I wont believe this is how it went down till 20 years from now when the tell alls get written. They just hosed up the paperwork out of pure incompetence rather than out of any brilliance on Sashi's part.

Even then there's a ton of people who do see Sashi as a perfect hero who picked nothing but starters at minimum.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Someone crunched the numbers and found out that preseason does matter: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/940aue/oc_why_44_points_scored_is_the_magic_number_for/

quote:

Part III: The Analysis

Aside from the fact that the Kansas City Chiefs were the world’s most boring preseason offense of all-time in the late 2000s, what are the takeaways from these results spanning over 35 years of NFL history?

• Of the 33 teams in this sample, only 4 out of 33 ended up making it to the postseason (12.1%). From 1983-89, a team’s odds of making the playoffs was 35.7%. From 1990-94, a team’s odds of making the playoffs was 42.8%. From 1995-on, the percentage has been at 40% or lower; today, it is at 37.5%.
  • Of the 33 teams in this sample, 0 out of 33 won a playoff game (0%) or advanced out of the wild card round. For perspective, in today’s NFL, 25% of the teams in the league make it to the divisional round. Assuming that percentage was the same for all 35 years (just to make things easier), the odds of a team not making it to the divisional round in 33 consecutive tries is 0.007%. The odds of this magic number actually occurring is roughly 1/1000 of a percent.
  • Of the 33 teams in this sample, only 2 out of 33 ended up winning their division (6.1%). In today’s NFL, a team has a 25% chance at winning their division; depending on the sizes of divisions prior to 2002, a team had either a 16.6% shot, a 20% shot, or a 25% shot at winning their division.
  • Of the 33 teams in this sample, 31 out of 33 had a record of .500 or worse (91.2%). On top of that, none of the 33 teams had more than 10 wins, and only one (Green Bay in 2004) even had double digit wins on the season.
  • Of the 33 teams in this sample, 17 out of 33 finished either in 4th place or worse (51.5%). The same percentage (51.5%) had double-digit losses.

Part IV: Conclusion

If, in a sample size of 33 teams over the course of 35 years of NFL history, nobody to fall below the magic number of 44 has even won a playoff game, then that’s a really bad sign. If, in a sample size of 33 teams, nobody to fall below the magic number has advanced out of the wild card round/gotten a bye week, then that’s a really bad sign.

Turns out, preseason does somewhat matter. Wins and losses don’t matter, but points do. If your team can’t score points in the preseason (44 points, to be exact), then you’re going to be in for a long season if NFL history has anything to say about that.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Lamar the entire 2nd half you say?

:getin:

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1025163623252078593

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
33 teams?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Flikken posted:

33 teams?

Browns became Ravens?

vv

Ahhh ok that makes sense.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
33 teams to score <44 points in the pre-season dating all the way back to 1983.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hell yeah rg3 and Jackson might make this game worth watching at least a little bit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just landed in Chicago so uh, go Bears I guess

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Reminder that the TFF/SAS discord is here: https://discord.gg/JpkUDW

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Is there a gdt or are we just posting here?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

But the Kaep came back, the very next day. The Kaep came back, they thought he was a goner But the Kaep came back, just wouldn't stay away

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/aclrecoveryclub/status/1025168457917034497?s=21

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Kalli posted:

But the Kaep came back, the very next day. The Kaep came back, they thought he was a goner But the Kaep came back, just wouldn't stay away

I'm disappointed this wasn't actual an order from the NFL/Exhibit BC in his collusion case.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Why wouldn't they have the right? Isn't Kaep still a member of the Players Union?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Why wouldn't they have the right? Isn't Kaep still a member of the Players Union?

That’s been my thought. Unless by not being on an active roster for 12+ months he automatically falls off the NFLPA roster???

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Kalli posted:

You got a source for that. I wanna read the whole article.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Timely:

https://twitter.com/jbbrisco/status/1025180762121879552

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

waah posted:

You got a source for that. I wanna read the whole article.

https://deadspin.com/why-did-ea-censor-a-lyric-about-colin-kaepernick-in-mad-1828064120

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I can't read the article right now and there is some sort of context missing from what you wrote for this to make any sense.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I can't read the article right now and there is some sort of context missing from what you wrote for this to make any sense.
It's discussing the outcomes of teams that score less than 44 points over the course of the preseason. I saw bits and pieces of the article, so I don't know why the author settled on 44 points as the line.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If you score fewer than 44 total points in preseason you're nearly guaranteed to have an absolute garbage regular season

The guy is going to do an inverse analysis and I'm curious to see if it holds up for the inverse, if teams hold opponents to fewer than 44 total points in preseason, that their defense ends up having a good season

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
hoo boy this new penalty is loving abysmal

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

corn on the cop posted:

hoo boy this new penalty is loving abysmal

Yeah there were like 4 or 5 flags for it? I think players will adjust, considering this was literally the first game played under the new rules, but we might see a looooot of these.

I mean I think it’s a good rule change for player safety but it goes against the way (as I understand it) that players are taught to tackle since childhood so it’s gonna be a rough road

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah it is. It seemed like they got it "right" one time and then never again. It's totally arbitrary and seems to be mostly based on how hard a collision is. I don't believe that the eggs are capable of calling the foul as is worded. Why can't it just be that you can't lower you head to hit someone with the top of your helmet? A guy got flagged who had his head up, didn't lower it at all and got called for it because the guy was taller than him and there was helmet contact.

I appreciate what they're trying to do here but I think their methods are careless and nonsensical

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Teach rugby tackles drat it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

iospace posted:

Seriously. Watching rugby is so refreshing compared to the NFL just because the rules are about a billion times more straightforward. I still watch football but the rulebook seems to get more capricious and inscrutable to the average viewer every year.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Papercut posted:

Seriously. Watching rugby is so refreshing compared to the NFL just because the rules are about a billion times more straightforward. I still watch football but the rulebook seems to get more capricious and inscrutable to the average viewer every year.

I wonder how many times Collinsworth will throw his hands up in the air in exasperation "I just don't know anymore".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

iospace posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

• Locked thread