Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Man I love posting. How you all doing today and what games u playin this weekend :whatup:

I'm flying today so I'm playing excellent switch game Hollow Knight :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What do you guys hate about day 1 patches especially since most of you are digital bois?

As a RPT I don't mind them and I ESPECIALLY love that this gen they just dl automatically the second I put the disc in. I hated last gen when my gamer dick would be hard as gently caress and edgy ready to get freaky, start the game up and NNNNNOPE as my ps3/360 basically pulls its panties back up and says "I have to go to the bathroom" while it DLs some gigantic fuckin patch only AFTER I tried launching the game UGH :flaccid:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Here's a good vid I watched last month about the importance and reason for day 1 patches and why they're never going away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zhOpCrq3s

(Great channel btw I don't think anyone watched it but their 360 RROD vid is a fantastic watch if u get some time)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guillermus posted:

I agree with that of course. I mean it's activision and they're trying to get people to buy it. Probably one Activision executive wanted it for himself out of nostalgia and they looked the cheapest way to release it on PS4 to scratch some money. If a game is encouraging to get the digital release is this one.

There's zero reason to separate them out like this without going out of their way to do it on purpose. It's not like there's no space on the disc left either, because the Crash Bandicoot came in at about 20-something GB all told. That's barely half the capacity of a PS4 Blu-Ray disc.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Veib posted:

This has literally never been the case in the history of video games so good luck with that.

I honestly had no idea this was the case. Either faulty memory or rose coloured glasses on my part I guess.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

beep by grandpa posted:

Man I love posting. How you all doing today and what games u playin this weekend :whatup:

I got some plans tonight, tmrw, sunday but I wanna squeeze in some KIWAMI when I can so I can hang with my friends in Kamurocho more.

Starcraft 2

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

beep by grandpa posted:

And speaking of patches... this weekend gonna be all about No Man's Sky for me. It is a video game I'm enjoying a great deal.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Hello seems like maffia 3 is one of the free games of the month. Worth grabbing? What kind of game is it? GTA clone?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t mind patches at all. Usually they excite me. I love playing video games and if an aspect of video gaming isn’t making me happy I shift my focus to something else or adjust my perception of the situation.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

shut up blegum posted:

Hello seems like maffia 3 is one of the free games of the month. Worth grabbing? What kind of game is it? GTA clone?

Yes, although not nearly as expansive as most sandbox crime games. Enjoyable, however very repetitive, gameplay, stellar soundtrack and setting, nice power fantasy plot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

beep by grandpa posted:

I got some plans tonight, tmrw, sunday but I wanna squeeze in some KIWAMI when I can so I can hang with my friends in Kamurocho more.

No Man's Sky until I get bored and Battletech (if you have a PC buy Battletech it's great).

I'm getting that freighter!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Really wish harebrained would bring shadowrun and battletech to console :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ever since I got a PS4 with 5G connection it’s downloaded at close to a gig a minute when I’m near the router, whether it’s plugged in or just via WiFi, so can’t say I really relate to the “PSN servers are bad!!!!” issue. I mean they were terrible when I was on the base model that only had 2G, but since I upgraded it’s been totally fine.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

What do you guys hate about day 1 patches especially since most of you are digital bois?

Answer me, cowards.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

beep by grandpa posted:

Answer me, cowards.

I got no problem with day one patches, those make sense. I do totally sympathize with folks who have bandwidth caps on their internet, buying a physical copy of a game so they minimize the amount of downloading they have to do, only to find out that they'll still have to download 2 out of 3 games anyway.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I only was able to properly purchase games when they went digital, so it's just tuesday for me.

But then again I don't even buy games on Day 1 so

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

Answer me, cowards.

I love them. They help make sure the game is ready by day 562, which is when I usually start playing. I'm excited for that Spyro trilogy to go on sale for $10.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't notice day one patches because they're rolled into the initial download

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's far better than it was in the early 00's, where you've got up to 2-3 visually-identical iterations of a game disc out the wild over the course of its reprints that may or may not have fixed the errant value that makes a boss fight nigh-unwinnable, or let you get that one bugged-out collectable for 100%. If they bother to fix it in reprints at all.

The class action lawsuit over GTA: San Andreas should have been about Supply Lines, not Hot Coffee

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
and I'm very sorry about your lovely internet if you beat Spyro 1 before 2 has finished downloading.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Working all dang day trying to wrap up some applications and forms but I have CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS THE FOURTH beta weekend to look forward to. Played some last night and it is real good.

Picking pizza on the way home, it’s going to be an all weekend gaming session don’t even try to loving stop it I’m an adult I can do this if I want to.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm flying today so I'm playing excellent switch game Hollow Knight :whatup:

Hollow Knight is so good. Hollow Knight on the perfect console, The Nintendo Switch? Perfection.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CoD has frustrated me into submission and I'm about to crawl back to battlefield like a battered partner who just knows it will be different this time. Just to double check, is "battlefield 1 revolution" the one I'm gong to want to buy here? If it's not as fun as 3 and 4 were, i will also accept "for the love of god don't buy that."

ElwoodCuse posted:

The class action lawsuit over GTA: San Andreas should have been about Supply Lines, not Hot Coffee

Oh my god supply loving lines

I got it when i read the specific order in which you needed to blow up the trucks, and i remember it seeming like a bizarre solution no one would have come up with without googling it

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 3, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Idk we get 110-115 mbit for about 80 a month and that's pretty affordable

I get gigabit for the same price

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get 200mb for £48, which only just went up from £43

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I get 200mb for £48, which only just went up from £43

I pay double that for half that speed lmao

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Woke up this morning thinking bout some games I wanna play on my ps4 Pro :angel:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Half-assed PC ports suck because there's no reason for a game like TEW2 to not run well besides 100% laziness.
No, the reason is time, it’s always time, and development time is money. It’s always money. Either you have really, really good developers that cost a lot of money but do it well/quickly or you have less good developers that can do it with enough time but that time adds up to a lot of money.

It’s very rarely a question of the expenditure of effort.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I get gigabit for the same price

Are you in a Google internet city or something?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

Are you in a Google internet city or something?

No I have Fios

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man...

I’ve been up for 24 hours, feeling a little weird but not bad. I decided a few days ago that I’m finally getting back into World of Warcraft. I miss it a lot, haven’t played in a few years. I’m very much in the mood to get back in now and play the new expansion when it drops. Just now I got my install all in order and ready to go. I click launch and get an error. I google that error and realize that World of Warcraft will no longer work on my iMac because it doesn’t have the Apple Metal API. I don’t want to use Windows on the computer so until I get a new computer I won’t be able to play one of my favorite games.

What does that have to do with the PS4? A lot. It’s time. I’m reaching for my strong, handsome and honorable Japanese friends to help me destress and have a good time. I’m booting up Yakuza 0.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Man...

I’ve been up for 24 hours, feeling a little weird but not bad. I decided a few days ago that I’m finally getting back into World of Warcraft. I miss it a lot, haven’t played in a few years. I’m very much in the mood to get back in now and play the new expansion when it drops. Just now I got my install all in order and ready to go. I click launch and get an error. I google that error and realize that World of Warcraft will no longer work on my iMac because it doesn’t have the Apple Metal API. I don’t want to use Windows on the computer so until I get a new computer I won’t be able to play one of my favorite games.

What does that have to do with the PS4? A lot. It’s time. I’m reaching for my strong, handsome and honorable Japanese friends to help me destress and have a good time. I’m booting up Yakuza 0.

Nice! As long as you’re prepared for a movie-length opening sequence where you don’t do all that much you’ll be in for a good time!

If you had a Windows machine I’d say you should just play it there but Yakuza anywhere is good Yakuza

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The wife picked up Yakuza PC. The draw distance is better, the textures and lighting look even nicer, and she does better with disco and karaoke on KB/M. Yakuza is cool and good.

So we’ll go to the gym tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday and then be lazy and play FFXIV and Yakuza.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Gonna continue my Nioh lvl 1 coop run with my buddy, who has been recording our misadventures for posterity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No I have Fios

I get 50/50 on Fios for 80. :negative:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

beep by grandpa posted:

Here's a good vid I watched last month about the importance and reason for day 1 patches and why they're never going away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zhOpCrq3s

(Great channel btw I don't think anyone watched it but their 360 RROD vid is a fantastic watch if u get some time)

I'm backing you up here beep; I had already seen the RROD video but I rewatched it again because it's such a good expose on the whole deal. Past Mortem in particular is a primo series because it's very thoroughly researched

This channel... good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WaltherFeng posted:

Gonna continue my Nioh lvl 1 coop run with my buddy, who has been recording our misadventures for posterity.

That sounds insanely hard. Can you at least get skills?

Also Yakuza PC is hilarious in 640 pixels. Kotaku has a big article on how bad it looks

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

The wife picked up Yakuza PC. The draw distance is better, the textures and lighting look even nicer, and she does better with disco and karaoke on KB/M. Yakuza is cool and good.
Thank Christ someone actually uses the KB/M controls. I think more work went into that than any other part of the port! Interesting that she finds disco and karaoke easier; internally most people found them much harder.

mastershakeman posted:

That sounds insanely hard. Can you at least get skills?

Also Yakuza PC is hilarious in 640 pixels. Kotaku has a big article on how bad it looks
The resolution only goes down to 640 but we added render scaling so you can go down to 25% so the 3D scene is actually rendered at 160px in that article, I think? It’s p. great.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 3, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Akuma posted:

Nice! As long as you’re prepared for a movie-length opening sequence where you don’t do all that much you’ll be in for a good time!

If you had a Windows machine I’d say you should just play it there but Yakuza anywhere is good Yakuza

tbh I’m not really into pc gaming anymore. I only do it for computer exclusive games.

Yakuza is good. I’m glad pc people have a chance to play it now if they didn’t before.

Morby posted:

So we’ll go to the gym tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday and then be lazy and play FFXIV and Yakuza.

Yay Yakuza crew :3: have fun!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yakuza is good. I’m glad pc people have a chance to play it now if they didn’t before.

Yay Yakuza crew :3: have fun!

Same, exclusives are bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Akuma posted:

Thank Christ someone actually uses the KB/M controls. I think more work went into that than any other part of the port! Interesting that she finds disco and karaoke easier; internally most people found them much harder.

My wife didn’t console game at all after N64. Until we met the only games she played were Pokémon and Sims. I got her back into console gaming, but she still finds KB/M way easier than controller. She loved watching me play 0 and she loved playing it herself on her PS4, but she’s over the moon with the PC port. Thanks for all your good work!