Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Marijuana posted:

I just watched "Profit and Lace" for the first time last night. Good Lord. I didn't know whether to laugh my rear end off or cringe in horror.

That's why I can never lump it in with the worst DS9 episodes. The worst ones are boring. Profit and Lace is, uh, taking you for a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, that episode forgets to tie up the "Quark hiring Garak to kill him" subplot. I assume Garak was just never going to bother or maybe it's just on his to-do list and he's really busy

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Pick posted:

That's why I can never lump it in with the worst DS9 episodes. The worst ones are boring. Profit and Lace is, uh, taking you for a ride.

The episode was well executed. The content was insane.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

I'm glad we never got the Babylon 5 version of it with G'Kar.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Low Desert Punk posted:

ethan phillips is a very good actor so he has pretty funny delivery and expressions on even the dumb poo poo that was written for him. People act like he's a Jar-Jar Binks level annoying character and I don't get that. I don't think Neelix is any more irritating than a character like Rom.

He should've been like the Pete Martell of Voyager, instead of just "wacky alien refugee."

I’m only 3 episodes into Voyager and comparing Rom to Neelix is blasphemous. Neelix sucks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Neelix is insufferable and Voyager is easily the worst Star Trek. Just skip to Enterprise and then Discovery.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As a non Starfleet(even counting the maquis which I consider just a Starfleet offshoot) I feel Neelix would have been well used as a guy to point out flaws in their thinking and say why their way wouldn't or shouldn't work in their current situation. Not in an antagonistic way, but providing friendly challenge to their ideals and offering an easier way out of certain situations. Or in some circumstances, being a Worf who says why what they're about to do is a terrible idea and being proven right but helping them get out of the situation.

As is he's not really that terrible though, apart from the possessiveness and borderline occasional bullying of Tuvok.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Yeah I’m up to date with Discovery, but it wasn’t part of my binge. I’m also up to date with Orville.

I think I’ll give Voyager a few more episodes and see how it goes. So far it just seems like a less good rehash of TNG, which I enjoy. I like the whole “sans-federation 75 years from the nearest Federation outpost” premise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah I’m up to date with Discovery, but it wasn’t part of my binge. I’m also up to date with Orville.

I think I’ll give Voyager a few more episodes and see how it goes. So far it just seems like a less good rehash of TNG, which I enjoy. I like the whole “sans-federation 75 years from the nearest Federation outpost” premise.

Aside from the premise, Voyager is essentially TNG seasons 8-14, just with a new cast they could pay less.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neelix problem isn't any one thing, but basically the character is written to be obnoxious to everyone, annoys everyone, always does something he shouldn't, is oblivious as he aggravates everyone, and contributes almost nothing of substance except for his food which everyone hates anyways.

Its like they took the worst part of every annoying TV character and combined them into one. Like some kind of Steve Urkel, Kimmy Gibbler, Screech, Scrappy Doo monstrosity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll be honest, I like the doctor better than Crusher, I like Tuvok better than Worf, I like Torres better than Geordi, and while I don't like Janeway better than Picard I find her more interesting and entertaining as a character. And I like seven better than most TNG peeps as well, I guess her analogue would be Data. She has fewer seasons to wear thin.

Kim, Chakotay, and Paris are pretty much boring nothing characters though. While I like Torres more than Geordi I didn't like him much anyway and she's not that great.

Neelix I think is basically fine but he's no Guinan.

Voyager is just seven seasons of TNG season 7, with half the characters better than the closest TNG analogue and half the characters worse. But you know what I like TNG season 7, so I like Voyager.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Most Star Trek crews suffer a bit from blandness but Voyager has the blandest of the bland. With the possible exceptions of Seven and the Doctor, no characters are likeable and interesting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tuvok rules and is the best Vulcan character in all of Trek

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Janeway is awesome.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think Kes had a lot of potential. The actress was charismatic, and the idea of a species living like 10 years would have been interesting to see over the course of 7 seasons of a show as shes in old person makeup and feeble by the late seasons. Theres interesting things they could have explored there, though Neelix dragged the whole character down, as Neelix does, and they should have never started them as a couple... ugh.

So, yeah I mean if she could have stuck around, and they would have ditched Neelix, I think there was plenty of potential there. Once again though, VOY does what VOY gunna do to anything of potential.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I'll be honest, I like the doctor better than Crusher, I like Tuvok better than Worf, I like Torres better than Geordi, and while I don't like Janeway better than Picard I find her more interesting and entertaining as a character. And I like seven better than most TNG peeps as well, I guess her analogue would be Data. She has fewer seasons to wear thin.

Kim, Chakotay, and Paris are pretty much boring nothing characters though. While I like Torres more than Geordi I didn't like him much anyway and she's not that great.

Neelix I think is basically fine but he's no Guinan.

Voyager is just seven seasons of TNG season 7, with half the characters better than the closest TNG analogue and half the characters worse. But you know what I like TNG season 7, so I like Voyager.

I will say that I give Voyager points for just doing some plain weird poo poo sometimes. Sometimes the execution wasn’t exactly fantastic, and one time we got Threshold, but I kinda enjoyed whenever it went for the “gently caress it, whatever, sure” approach.

I will add a disclaimer that Masks is one of my favorite TNG episodes, so my taste may just be off.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anyone listened to any of the Star Trek audio books Big Finish put out?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

marktheando posted:

Most Star Trek crews suffer a bit from blandness but Voyager has the blandest of the bland. With the possible exceptions of Seven and the Doctor, no characters are likeable and interesting.
Enterprise is worse

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Enterprise is worse

Yeah this. Enterprise has sometimes T’pol, sometimes Phlox, and who else? The whole cast is a black void of charisma.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rarely Shran appears.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Yeah this. Enterprise has sometimes T’pol, sometimes Phlox, and who else? The whole cast is a black void of charisma.

I liked the subplot of T’Pol being addicted to space opiates.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For me, Enterprise has a lot of good individual episodes but fails because of bad overarching story ideas, like being a prequel which is bad enough, and THEN doing time travel that defeats the entire purpose. And then Voyager is the inverse, where it's the best concept they could possibly have done at the time, but it's wasted.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m in the middle of re-watching all of Star Trek. For everything post TOS and the films it’s my first time watching it since the original broadcast. And all this talk of Voyager is giving me flashbacks. It’s going to be a hell of a slog...

I never even finished Enterprise the first time...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everything about Enterprise is great except the characters and the cast and the writing and the plotting.

I mean, the production design loving rules

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phylodox posted:

I’m in the middle of re-watching all of Star Trek. For everything post TOS and the films it’s my first time watching it since the original broadcast. And all this talk of Voyager is giving me flashbacks. It’s going to be a long time, gettin' from there to here...

I never even finished Enterprise the first time...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Everything about Enterprise is great except the characters and the cast and the writing and the plotting.

Honestly the first two seasons are really bland looking but once they start adding in colour, yeah.

It probably helps that everything since then has looked like total rear end

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I actually really like the Disco uniforms and alien designs, and their redesign of Pike's uniform is snazzy too.

The ship itself sucks though

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do wonder why sci-fi is so shy about color. We're constantly creating new artificial pigments, and new brighter colored LEDs and LASERs. Everything should be a stunning, shifting lightshow of beauty and information.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I love the concept of the Xindi arc and a significant amount of execution, but the time travel stuff combined with some really loving annoyingly bland missteps stop me from ever saying it's "good."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Because space is dark just like my soul

*How could this happen to meeee...*

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
When I do rewatches I skip the least Enterprise episodes. I probably skip a third of Voyager. None of them are fantastic but Enterprise is a consistently fine Trek. good for hangovers and playing in the background while you're writing papers.

The crew just seems very likeable to me, even if they're given jackshit to do

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Space is a mysterious place, full of dark secrets. When life crawled out of the ocean of space, it asked itself, who am I? In space we seek the answer, but we may find out, that the answer, was seeking, us

I WANT TO GET AWAY
I WANT TO FLY AWAY YEAH YEAH YEAH

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
enterprise has some great moments. like in Cogenitor when Archer gives Trip the most brutal dress-down in Star Trek history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHMdRez-Tsw

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 3, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Low Desert Punk posted:

enterprise has some great moments. like in Cogenitor when Archer gives Trip the most brutal dress-drown in Star Trek history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHMdRez-Tsw

Captain Archer: Don't teach slaves to read, Trip

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Senor Tron posted:

The data bandwidth to deconstruct an entire person and transfer the information on every atom of their being to another location is immense. So the transporter doesn't, it deconstructs someone and then sends a fraction of their information to the other end where it is extrapolated out back into a whole being with the system making its best guess in filling in the blanks.

I don't think this is consistent with the usual depiction of the transporter. The transporter isn't re-creating people out of whole cloth; there's a matter stream in the transporter beam as well.

Also, data streams don't have to be digital; it could be (and, I would argue, probably should be) an analog signal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I do wonder why sci-fi is so shy about color. We're constantly creating new artificial pigments, and new brighter colored LEDs and LASERs. Everything should be a stunning, shifting lightshow of beauty and information.

Probably difficult to shoot, looks bad on TV, and kinda distracting to audiences.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just not a fan of how...blue DIS is.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Captain Archer: Don't teach slaves to read, Trip

I always thought there was a little more interesting take on that episode than that. I mean, yeah that species treated their 3rd gender as slaves, and yeah thats a bad thing, but how do you deal with it in practice?

Do you break off contact with the species you've just met after explaining why? Do you try to interfere and remove the slave? Do you explain your issues with it but still remain friendly while doing nothing? Trek has a long history of captains rocking up to other races and telling them what to do and saving the day, but it was interesting to have a situation where they rode in with their morals, but it just ended in broken relations, a dead alien, and others unable to start a family. Despite how just their thoughts might be.

With the history of Trek and how allegorical everything is to us in our time, and our history, sometimes the episodes that really try to be alien, and question what to do in a truly alien situation that is outside of our real life experience are I think neat.

If there really were aliens, that we really did meet for the first time in deep space, in real life, not TV, how on earth would we adapt our morals to a completely different society and race of creature? What would we do in that situation for real?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Whatever made rich people richer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pick posted:

Whatever made rich people richer

The correct answer