Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Supremacy is incredibly fun so far. I can't say it without a doubt yet, but I think the Hissho might be the best designed faction in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like Inferno. Doesn't add much, but it doesn't get in the way either. Eclipses are fine except they darken the map, so the pretty summer time look of the game is getting more rare.

The new faction's terraforming is pretty interesting. Even if you don't terraform tiles being exploited by a rival faction's city, you can still use terraformed tiles near their city or in their territory as special tiles that give you bonuses in combat. It's a neat little permanent half-base.

Weirdly, I think the part I like best is that you can re-explore ruins during eclipses. It makes ruin exploring technologies and hero abilities actually worth getting.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 2, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hissho sound like my new main.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Always loved playing tall in strategy games, and Hissho being warlike at the same time means they are Space Aztec Samurai Bird Prussia

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh wow, the Kapaku expansion was made by an Argentinian studio, I had no idea. The free weekend page mentions "leaving Endless Legend" in the hands of this studio, so I wonder if the intention is to have them create future content for the game.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
The art on the lava people is beautiful. The watchtowers are worth building just to admire them rising over the landscape. I love the dust eclipses, too, throwing the aurora borealis all over your metaphorical kitchen.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Kapaku are pretty fun. You have to plan and maintain expansion really hard they can only get food from volcanic terrain, and the volcano terraformers have to be placed by armies and take five turns to work. However, the second quest in their chain rewards you by making your basic soldier cost no upkeep, so you can just have a unit in every city diligently plopping down terraformers. It's pretty evocative of the lore of them using golems, and also you can drown the enemy in garbage no-upkeep troops if you like.

Also, Golem Work camps are insane, it's a mini-district in Era 2 that doesn't affect approval and can be placed ANYWHERE in the region, so you can stick one next to some far-flung ruins or anomalies for sweet sweet bonuses.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just found an event based on the Hamilton musical :allears:

Edit: It's the "A million things I haven't done" one.

Azran fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 3, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They seemed to have added a lot of new anomalies to EL with Inferno too. Interesting.

And...lava rivers? Huh.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
In case people missed it:

https://amplitude-freeweekend.com

Time to play to unlock stuff again, beginning with the sexy as hell Craver Prime skin.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Det_no posted:

In case people missed it:

https://amplitude-freeweekend.com

Time to play to unlock stuff again, beginning with the sexy as hell Craver Prime skin.

Nice, I really like the Riftborn redshifted skin. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to DO MY PART. Unfortunately here in the UK it is like 31 deg and my poor PC sounds like it is about to take off when anything more taxing than Chrome is used.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

toasterwarrior posted:

Always loved playing tall in strategy games, and Hissho being warlike at the same time means they are Space Aztec Samurai Bird Prussia

For what it's worth, while the Hissho can play Tall, they can also play Wide incredibly well since the only penalty they get for overexpansion is increased cost of founding a colony. And why found a colony if you can just conquer other people's? They can go super-wide without even going Federation.

Although the implication seems to be that all the colonies exist to serve the capital, what with the special Tribute infinite-build item which donates half of their food/production to your biggest system. And the mining drones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What does federation do again? I know I always swap into democracy as UE to get that sweet extra law slot

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Truga posted:

What does federation do again? I know I always swap into democracy as UE to get that sweet extra law slot

Extra system before approval penalties, IIRC.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo, Economic Behemoth stacking is terrifying. I turned some meh system I had on my frontlines into my war factory by the virtue of 4 Economic Behemoths, and it could pump out Hunter-class ships every turn. Military Behemoths aren't that impressive, I've found, but the keii aura is useful enough that it's worth having one with your fleets.

I feel confident enough to tackle Impossible with Hissho, considering that the last time I played an Impossible game was only with UE.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I'd really would like to turn the Endless Legend's digital art book in a physical one. The art is just so good and bizarre. Does anyone know a service where I could do this best?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Speedball posted:

They seemed to have added a lot of new anomalies to EL with Inferno too. Interesting.

And...lava rivers? Huh.

The first few times I lost half my army's life to lava rivers were quite the surprise.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Having spent some time with them, I can attest Kapaku are indeed pretty cool. While in truth probably one of the more straightforward factions, they're nice, as in their gameplay seems to have a pleasant flow. The quest line is fairly chill too.

They're very good builders that also happen to have a good and self-sufficient selection of units - the jury is still out whether geomancers are worth it, but at the very least one has to appreciate their versatility.

The siege engineering tech (converting siege damage to industry stockpile) initially seemed like dumb poo poo, but turned out great. If you're waging a war of conquest, you can roll your doomstacks to a city, set volcanoformers all around it and just chill for a few turns. By the time the siege is over, you have the terrain all set for the new city not to starve and a 1000 industry stockpile to instabuy all your mill foundries and extractors and poo poo. It's a bit of a paradigm shift for me, as I prefer espionage-bolstered blitzkriegs, but this slower, parasitic warfare seems worth it.

Not sure how I'd rank them power level-wise. They're obviously pretty good, but plenty of abusive poo poo is possible in this game. The main bottleneck for Kapaku are the strategic resources, which is an interesting change of pace as they're usually an afterthought for me. This is both due to volcanoforming costs growing mid-game and you really wanting to grab both titanium and glassteel early on (for both cheap volcanoforming setup and grabbing the ludicrous golem camps ASAP). Strategic resource-based equipment is probably a no-go (I'd skip the whole techs), but on the other hand the resource-focused expansion and good builder capacity makes them good for rushing the legendary building.

Going by the gut, the Broken Lords and Allayi are probably more bullshit, but the Kapaku are trailing them fairly close.

As an aside, I find it interesting that while the volcanic terrain is meant to be late-game content for the other races, most advantages Kapaku get are meant to enable setting up an early game snowball.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
That's probably an intentional design decision.

A faction that only flourishes at late game is typically a bad choice. As a rule of thumb, civs with no early game traits or units are mediocre choices in themselves and completely edged out by civs that are not. That's not an option in EL when each faction varies radically from the baseline and you have the usual 4x concerns (starting position, nearby expansion etc) to worry about.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Baron von der Loon posted:

I'd really would like to turn the Endless Legend's digital art book in a physical one. The art is just so good and bizarre. Does anyone know a service where I could do this best?

Google local printer services and call them, ask if they do book bindings. It's what I did.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Does the free weekend include the DLC as well?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

The first few times I lost half my army's life to lava rivers were quite the surprise.

You'd think Kapaku would be invulnerable to lava rivers but I guess even they have a melting point.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Kapaku are literally immune to lava rivers.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Lorini posted:

Does the free weekend include the DLC as well?

Nope. I went and bought ES2 plus the DLC but I fear I won't be able to come back to EL after ES2's improvements on the formula so I didn't get the stuff I was missing for it (basically everything after Guardians)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
People keep talking about ES2 being better. Can anyone detail a little bit as to how or what changed?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hahahaha. Got a message from a Broken Lords AI character. "You have the temerity to volcanoform in the Lords' land? Go ahead, we like it." Haha. They don't need food, gently caress it!

edit: even comes with an approval bonus from them. I like it.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 3, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
The Forgotten were like "On the one hand, we thrive in the Wasteland. On the other hand, gently caress off."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
As a new player I've been having a lot of fun with the Kapaku. The creep spreading aspect to them is helping me get a bit of a handle on the expansion aspect of the game and the golem camps have given me a much larger margin for error on my settle locations.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Golem camps are delicious. There's always that place on the other side of your province with like two specials....

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

People keep talking about ES2 being better. Can anyone detail a little bit as to how or what changed?

I'm curious about this too.

My main complaint with ES2 at release were the stark lack of faction-specific stuff (especially compared to EL) besides a global ability or two per faction: near-identical units, tech trees, heroes, and shorter quest lines with much blander rewards.

It seems like it would be pretty hard to improve that without major overhaul.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One thing I wish you could do with Kapaku is convert an entire region to volcanic without having to lay down a bunch of volcanoformers manually. I don't even care if it happens slowly, I just find the creep spreading to be a bit tedious once you're just filling out the region for city districts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

The main bottleneck for Kapaku are the strategic resources, which is an interesting change of pace as they're usually an afterthought for me. This is both due to volcanoforming costs growing mid-game and you really wanting to grab both titanium and glassteel early on (for both cheap volcanoforming setup and grabbing the ludicrous golem camps ASAP). Strategic resource-based equipment is probably a no-go (I'd skip the whole techs), but on the other hand the resource-focused expansion and good builder capacity makes them good for rushing the legendary building.

OTOH, there's a late game tech (era 5 I think) that gives +5 strategic resource if said resource is on a volcanic tile (which is all your tiles), making your strategic resource income absolutely silly. I only had 1 hyperium mine and was getting 18 per turn in combination with hero, improvements, and the pearl extractor building.

Once you get that you can probably upgrade all your units in a couple turns.

AnEdgelord posted:

One thing I wish you could do with Kapaku is convert an entire region to volcanic without having to lay down a bunch of volcanoformers manually. I don't even care if it happens slowly, I just find the creep spreading to be a bit tedious once you're just filling out the region for city districts.

Yeah there should be an endgame improvement that just slowly creeps it out.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

By the time you'd be able to convert entire regions you shouldn't have to.

And imagine playing against that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did I see something about a free weekend for EL or ES?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Did I see something about a free weekend for EL or ES?

I think it's all their games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bunch of other things I've observed from playing Hissho:

1. Clarste is right, the keii colonization cost is the only thing you get from overexpansion. IMO, use Democracy instead of Federation so you get more political leader slots, and get the +1 Behemoth skill on all of them (also ensure they're Hissho heroes) because more Behemoths is the key to victory.

2. Hissho can have +2 pop slots on all sterile planets. Doing some napkin math with the relevant system improvements, this means that Desert (Hot/Sterile) planets are absolute monsters at Industry and should not be terraformed past. I'm not sure about the cold/science planets, but my lovely math suggests that Barren (Cold/Sterile planets are still the best at producing Science over even Boreal (Cold/Fertile) planets, so it's up to you if you want to lose that Science for some more Dust. That said, it's kinda super easy to make Dust compared to Science, so maybe don't do that.

In any other case, I still just go with the rule of more pop = better even if it actually isn't true, so off to the terraforming stations they go.

3. Giant stack of Economic Behemoths functioning as a mobile ship factory/colony booster owns, take care of them. Get more, and keep getting more. Do not stop.

4. Personally I'm still of the opinion that every hero class but the Seeker is best off governing and boosting your best colonies, while the Seekers lead badass fleets into warp space as troubleshooters and troublemakers. Maybe even more so if you get that Seeker a nice Juggernaut to fly around with.

5. The Fealty Foundation planet specialization line is way too loving expensive for the benefit (25 keii for 1-3 FIDS x pop). Considering that the Hissho have no real influence boosters, it's probably better to just use that Influence planet specialization instead.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Lumeris and Vodyani fleet skins are the only ones left to unlock. I like the Riftborn and the Unfallen ones the best. Well, they look the best in my opinion.

They're probably going to add them all to the game anyways in a free update even if the 1mil hours isn't hit. But at this rate, it's likely going to be successful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Incidentally, it bugs me so much that they use "Keii" which is just the Japanese word for "Honor".

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, it bugs me so much that they use "Keii" which is just the Japanese word for "Honor".

What else would the space weebabirds call it? :v:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the obliberators don't seem very fun to me. you basically gotta pump out citadels constantly or your systems are going to get randomly zapped with nothing you can do about it. even if you do pump em out, they'll probably zap a few before you can get to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Clarste posted:

I thought that was eiyo.

Edit: It's both. :ms:

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 4, 2018